Most stupid message while flogging a shiter

Alan Prost

• 2 weeks later...

I can't be bothered to screen shot it as it's on my Gumtree only phone, but here's a recent encounter

Prick - "is this still available"

Me - "yes"

Prick - "what's the best price? We're taking cash" 

Me - "Its cash only anyway. I was about to relist it for £200 less. In the interests of a quick sale you can have it for that, but no less"

3 days later - still radio silence

Just a complete waste of time. £200 reflects about 15% of the original asking price, and he's still not interested. Did he seriously expect me to say £500 or something!?

Normally I don't bother with these imbeciles but since it would have been nice to sell it before having to renew the advert at a lower price I thought I'd bite to see what happened

7 hours ago, davehedgehog31 said:

Screenshot_2022-07-21-08-27-14-28_d729ab80d3e27b5d0fac359b8b5ee13d.thumb.jpg.fd1a5f717bc3d92fa0e230b9ed70c3c8.jpg

Screenshot_2022-07-21-08-27-00-78_d729ab80d3e27b5d0fac359b8b5ee13d.thumb.jpg.5609bbe51b2f0913e0b5f4e7e81e035e.jpg

Screenshot_2022-07-21-08-26-32-00.thumb.jpg.cc6fb5798fb08730671403c5c9d4c82b.jpg

Don't understand this though, you'd sell it to a stranger on here for £1800 but not to a stranger on gumtree, cash is cash no matter who you sell it to, I'd expect £1800 if I was advertising it for £2k, everyone wants a deal so you price it accordingly. 

9 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Don't understand this though, you'd sell it to a stranger on here for £1800 but not to a stranger on gumtree, cash is cash no matter who you sell it to, I'd expect £1800 if I was advertising it for £2k, everyone wants a deal so you price it accordingly. 

Because never, ever, has any conversation that starts straight off with someone sending random fractions of the sale price ended up with the transaction going through. Or even the conversation continuing as the "buyer" mysteriously disappears

33 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

We've been here before @Jazoli I'd drive it into the sea rather than accept an offer on an already shockingly cheap car that says "NO OFFERS" on the ad. It's principle 

1 hour ago, Jazoli said:

Screenshot_20220530-162817.thumb.png.d77f1e3c14de9e0c93edf989d5bc9672.png

This is what usually happens when you just say yes to whatever ridiculous offer these twats make.

I hate taking cash when selling a car.  I don't like counting it, it's filthy and I can't tell a fake when I see one.  Also, all banks in the nearest town to me have closed, so I have to take a morning off work to pay the stupid stuff in!

I always prefer an online bank transfer.  That's easier and safer for both parties, right?

21 minutes ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

That's easier and safer for both parties, right?

One might think so, but no

Open to scams and fraud

Fake banking apps are the first hurdle. 

But once you see the funds in your account, they aren't necessarily there to stay, all they need to do is claim it's a fraudulent transaction. 

Yes you've got the chance of counterfeit notes, but once the folding is in your hands it's not going anywhere. And you haven't just given your account details to a stranger 

I personally prefer cash (for lower amounts, at least), yes it's a bit of a pain for the reasons you describe but in my opinion safer

22 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

But once you see the funds in your account, they aren't necessarily there to stay, all they need to do is claim it's a fraudulent transaction. 

I don't believe it's particularly easy to claim fraud with a bank transfer. If the money hits your account and the buyer claims it's fraudulent, the transfer isn't reversed. Your bank will contact you and you'll have a chance to dispute the claim. You'll have phone calls/emails/messages from the buyer, possibly even security cam footage. You can also transfer the money out to another account pretty rapidly making it more difficult for them. 

If you don't reply to the fraud claim and they get the money reversed, there's still 20 odd days before any transfers happen. After that you've still got the option of an ombudsman.

A fake banking app is a stretch as well, you'd be checking to see if it's hit your own account rather than checking if the seller has sent it from their app. 

Bank transfer / cash paid in at a physical bank are the safest methods. 

45 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

I don't believe it's particularly easy to claim fraud with a bank transfer. If the money hits your account and the buyer claims it's fraudulent, the transfer isn't reversed. Your bank will contact you and you'll have a chance to dispute the claim. You'll have phone calls/emails/messages from the buyer, possibly even security cam footage. You can also transfer the money out to another account pretty rapidly making it more difficult for them. 

If you don't reply to the fraud claim and they get the money reversed, there's still 20 odd days before any transfers happen. After that you've still got the option of an ombudsman.

A fake banking app is a stretch as well, you'd be checking to see if it's hit your own account rather than checking if the seller has sent it from their app. 

Bank transfer / cash paid in at a physical bank are the safest methods. 

It's not easy per se, but it's possible for organised criminals. 

If they managed to fund the transfer with a credit card, they could launch a chargeback which would almost certainly withhold the funds. 

Regarding a fake banking app, they're very common at the moment, at least in my area. Usually it will be a very pressuring or intimidating person either on their own or in a group that will insist on taking the goods away before the seller sees funds hit their account. They can become very threatening so for someone on their own it's not an easy situation to deal with. 

I can appreciate how it's convenient, but I don't personally use mobile banking for security purposes. So I would have to faff about on the computer and log in with the card reader. Then what happens if funds don't clear for a couple of hours? The buyer has paid as far as they're concerned but the seller would quite rightly not want to release the car yet. Usually it's instant, but on the rare occasion it isn't there's a lot of awkward waiting around to do. 

It's a good idea when it works properly, but there's so many hurdles that could cause a hiccup along the way it's not worth the hassle or risk for me. 

I don't mind taking cash to the bank as opposed to the risks I perceive with online transfers. Appreciate that tactic won't be ideal for larger sums though and can see how an online transfer would be preferable in that instance. 

9 minutes ago, BeEP said:

You can pay cash into almost all bank accounts at any Post Office so no need to travel miles to your nearest bank branch.

They told me this recently at the pay in counter at my bank, after I'd driven 15 mins and paid £2.00 for parking to go into the branch. I thanked them very much for the info and told them I hope they have a lovely day. Saying as I'd never ever ever ever see them again. 

I handle lots of cash every day and while the new plastic notes aren't impossible to counterfeit they're not easy to do convincingly so if you're handed a pile of new currency it should* be kosher and you can usually feel the difference.
Bear in mind the old marker pens don't work on the new notes though.

That said, the last half dozen car transactions I've done have been online transfers which I think generally are safer and less hassle.

8 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

It's not easy per se, but it's possible for organised criminals. 

If they managed to fund the transfer with a credit card, they could launch a chargeback which would almost certainly withhold the funds. 

Regarding a fake banking app, they're very common at the moment, at least in my area. Usually it will be a very pressuring or intimidating person either on their own or in a group that will insist on taking the goods away before the seller sees funds hit their account. They can become very threatening so for someone on their own it's not an easy situation to deal with. 

I can appreciate how it's convenient, but I don't personally use mobile banking for security purposes. So I would have to faff about on the computer and log in with the card reader. Then what happens if funds don't clear for a couple of hours? The buyer has paid as far as they're concerned but the seller would quite rightly not want to release the car yet. Usually it's instant, but on the rare occasion it isn't there's a lot of awkward waiting around to do. 

It's a good idea when it works properly, but there's so many hurdles that could cause a hiccup along the way it's not worth the hassle or risk for me. 

I don't mind taking cash to the bank as opposed to the risks I perceive with online transfers. Appreciate that tactic won't be ideal for larger sums though and can see how an online transfer would be preferable in that instance. 

I suspect this is part of why I never sell cars. I know the breakers I use, he sends a cheque out with the recovery wagon and the car is disposed of. Extremely doubtful the cheque will bounce as I’ve dealt with them a number of years. An hour of my time and then I can get about my daily business. 

Once the money is in your account, it's safer than cash and there's a trail should anything go wrong.

Better for buying and selling IMO.

Other opinions are available, and never hand over the keys or V5 until the money is there.. even if you have to sit and drink tea with them.