The grumpy thread

outlaw118

20 minutes ago, drum said:

Some scamming bams in Glasgow have ripped off a friend of my daughter's. 

They phoned him up telling him the mileage etc of his car and how it needed a service. This would be £145 including collecting and dropping off. 

He's at uni on a visa and a bit naive, so thought this was normal practice in this country.

They wouldn't return his car until they paid this bill.

Screenshot_20240221-165908-537.png.29511c85a043b67024807f0298276368.png

The invoice letter head is for a garage in Enfield London, who are no doubt oblivious to their name being used.

Dirty bastards

Scamming bastards - did they pay for it with a credit or debit card? They may have some comeback with a section 75 claim.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Milton Keynes council have changed their on street parking.  It used to be possible to buy time in increments of 15 minutes - now it's 2 hours minimum.  Which given that the city centre car parks are £2 an hour is a bit steep when 99% of the time I'm there I'm running into one specific shop to grab one specific thing and usually I'm there for less than 20 minutes.

Guess I'll just go to the retail parks that are a bit further away then!  Bugger paying £2 for 30 minutes parking.

Which precisely what others are doing & the complete fuckin tossers that run the councils can’t seem to figure that out & are then dismayed by the state of our high streets 

2 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Wtf is lifetime fuel treatment? 

Maybe one of these things that (30 years ago) were being punted as the 'cure' to running your old car on unleaded.
Surprised to see they are still available?
https://www.spitfirefuelcatalyst.co.uk/products/fuel-catalyst#:~:text=Contact-,Fuel Catalyst,-This will allow

We have started having 5-10 seconds power cuts as of about 45 minutes ago.  Think we're up to six now.

About half the time it takes out the RCD when the power comes back on.  Which requires me to trapse out to the garage and stand on things to reach the fuse box that's basically on the ceiling to reset the cursed thing.

I am officially fed up with this dance now.

this was incredibly sad to see

went down to Middlesbrough to go to toby carvery with my grandparents

came upon this, literally moments after it happened

lovely E reg 3 series E114 KUP if i recall, seen it a fair few times before

image.png.9469d214afdc3f7fb063009a4a49a9d9.png

literally they were getting out of the cars as i approached

i'd sadly say it's dead

3 hours ago, drum said:

Some scamming bams in Glasgow have ripped off a friend of my daughter's. 

They phoned him up telling him the mileage etc of his car and how it needed a service. This would be £145 including collecting and dropping off. 

He's at uni on a visa and a bit naive, so thought this was normal practice in this country.

They wouldn't return his car until they paid this bill.

Screenshot_20240221-165908-537.png.29511c85a043b67024807f0298276368.png

The invoice letter head is for a garage in Enfield London, who are no doubt oblivious to their name being used.

Dirty bastards

The £100 labour doesn’t seem unreasonable so are they going to try and claim that the other consumable prices are fair? What the hell is a fluid top up charge when they have charged a fortune for anti freeze and brake fluid? Charges for changing oil filter but no actual charge for the filter? I’d be contacting the garage in Enfield who may be able to take some action?

Briefly looping back to interviews; if you had an interview via Microsoft Teams at home then would you use the blurred background or would you leave your house on show?

My house isn't a shit tip, but my computer is in the living room so despite being tidy and clutter free it kind of feels weird that they'll see that.

I've only had interviews in person at dull grey meeting rooms before.

On 19/02/2024 at 20:14, Zelandeth said:

Ordered a couple of parts for one of the cars middle of the day on Wednesday.  Made a point of finding a UK based supplier who had the parts in stock "as that will be quicker than ordering from Germany."

Yeah, have they been dispatched yet?  Nope! 

Would they be here from Germany by now?  Most likely.  Almost definitely by tomorrow morning.

Yes it's a minor grump in the grand scheme of things, but it's still annoyed me.

I had a similar grump, well I suppose it's not really a grump but here goes 

Needed a VVT solenoid for a Nissan Note for a customer. Unfortunately they are £550 from the dealer and nobody makes/stocks them aftermarket

"Genuine" units available on eBay, there were 2 main options. One offering 2 day delivery for £230, and the other offering 2-4 day delivery for £185. The customer just wanted the car back asap after we got fucked about by a supplier who gave us an incorrect aftermarket part. 

Ordered the £230 one which arrived the next day around 11am. I ordered it the day before at around 3pm, so that is excellent for eBay standards. It was sent by special delivery. We were very happy with it arriving so quickly, so no complaints there. Money well spent, it was worth the extra. 

But what was in the box? An invoice from the £185 seller, with standard delivery selected. 

I'm assuming it must be the same seller, or 2 sellers affiliated with each other who just gouges the price by £45 for the privilege of next day delivery. 

If the £230 seller had simply ordered the £185 one and paid them extra for next day delivery then fair play to them, but the invoice that was in the box stated otherwise!

It's clever of them, but a bit scummy in my opinion if they are affiliated with each other and are simply gouging the price for anyone who's desperate for the part and can't run the chance of having to indeed wait a couple of extra days as indicated on the advert. 

I can't think of any other explanation for the cheaper seller sending it by next day delivery out of nowhere

And yes, £185, £230 and £550 are all fucking insane prices for a VVT solenoid!! That's typical Nissan parts pricing for you. 

Ford/BMW/Mini/Peugeot/Hyundai etc are usually anywhere between £50-100 for the same part!

21 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

Briefly looping back to interviews; if you had an interview via Microsoft Teams at home then would you use the blurred background or would you leave your house on show?

My house isn't a shit tip, but my computer is in the living room so despite being tidy and clutter free it kind of feels weird that they'll see that.

I've only had interviews in person at dull grey meeting rooms before.

Blurred background is absolutely fine, I'd rather that than a living room. 

31 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

The £100 labour doesn’t seem unreasonable so are they going to try and claim that the other consumable prices are fair? What the hell is a fluid top up charge when they have charged a fortune for anti freeze and brake fluid? Charges for changing oil filter but no actual charge for the filter? I’d be contacting the garage in Enfield who may be able to take some action?

I don't think they'll have lifted the bonnet. 

9 minutes ago, drum said:

Well that's a clear cut case for a charge back if paid by card, service paid for not provided.

But if they did what they said they did, albeit with insane prices for the consumables, harder to get the transaction reversed.

2 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Maybe one of these things that (30 years ago) were being punted as the 'cure' to running your old car on unleaded.
Surprised to see they are still available?
https://www.spitfirefuelcatalyst.co.uk/products/fuel-catalyst#:~:text=Contact-,Fuel Catalyst,-This will allow

Mike bloody Brewer still advertising them in one of the classic car rags

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

We have started having 5-10 seconds power cuts as of about 45 minutes ago.  Think we're up to six now.

About half the time it takes out the RCD when the power comes back on.  Which requires me to trapse out to the garage and stand on things to reach the fuse box that's basically on the ceiling to reset the cursed thing.

I am officially fed up with this dance now.

The last time I had this it was a seized fridge compressor trying to cycle.

2 hours ago, drum said:

I’d agree. Only a surcharge for oil but no charge for the actual oil. Given £50-70 is a normal garage price, I would have expected £200 given their other charges.

1 hour labour is low although £100 /hr is probably on the low side of normal these days , certainly at a main dealer.

Other items are ridiculous especially brake fluid and antifreeze suggesting they had no idea how much would be needed.

I'm just not getting what's happened here, are we missing part of the story maybe?

Mr. A.N. Other car owner gets phone call out the blue from someone they claim not to know who says 'We're coming to collect your car for a service' ? Might it be the car's legal owners, maybe a leasing company wanting to ensure their property is being correctly looked after? (I've never leased a car, might this happen? ) How could a third party know not only the reg of the car but the mileage too?
It all sounds a bit weird to me...

12 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

I'm just not getting what's happened here, are we missing part of the story maybe?

Mr. A.N. Other car owner gets phone call out the blue from someone they claim not to know who says 'We're coming to collect your car for a service' ? Might it be the car's legal owners, maybe a leasing company wanting to ensure their property is being correctly looked after? (I've never leased a car, might this happen? ) How could a third party know not only the reg of the car but the mileage too?

Mileage got from mot history maybe? Possibly the garage he bought it from a couple of months ago? Young foreign student, ripe for some exploitation. 

Or could be scammers who phone 50 randoms per day hoping one bites and have no intention of servicing the car. 

I suggested he contacts the London based garage that supposedly serviced his car in Glasgow to see if they know anything about it.

Whatever, a young lad is severely out of pocket.

15 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I had a similar grump, well I suppose it's not really a grump but here goes 

Needed a VVT solenoid for a Nissan Note for a customer. Unfortunately they are £550 from the dealer and nobody makes/stocks them aftermarket

"Genuine" units available on eBay, there were 2 main options. One offering 2 day delivery for £230, and the other offering 2-4 day delivery for £185. The customer just wanted the car back asap after we got fucked about by a supplier who gave us an incorrect aftermarket part. 

Ordered the £230 one which arrived the next day around 11am. I ordered it the day before at around 3pm, so that is excellent for eBay standards. It was sent by special delivery. We were very happy with it arriving so quickly, so no complaints there. Money well spent, it was worth the extra. 

But what was in the box? An invoice from the £185 seller, with standard delivery selected. 

I'm assuming it must be the same seller, or 2 sellers affiliated with each other who just gouges the price by £45 for the privilege of next day delivery. 

If the £230 seller had simply ordered the £185 one and paid them extra for next day delivery then fair play to them, but the invoice that was in the box stated otherwise!

It's clever of them, but a bit scummy in my opinion if they are affiliated with each other and are simply gouging the price for anyone who's desperate for the part and can't run the chance of having to indeed wait a couple of extra days as indicated on the advert. 

I can't think of any other explanation for the cheaper seller sending it by next day delivery out of nowhere

And yes, £185, £230 and £550 are all fucking insane prices for a VVT solenoid!! That's typical Nissan parts pricing for you. 

Ford/BMW/Mini/Peugeot/Hyundai etc are usually anywhere between £50-100 for the same part!

A week and a day later this just arrived in my inbox...

screenshot.jpg.7ccbe112badb89d4d046c0b58fd355e3.jpg

Yeah, sure...You definitely didn't forget about it for a week then realise you only had one on the shelf.  Nope...

Order cancelled.  Thankfully I've got it sorted now as a local member of the owner's club had a spare gasket set on the shelf they didn't need.

12 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Sounds to me like a similar ruse to the folks who phone you up claiming to be from Microsoft telling you that there's a problem with your computer.  They phone 500 people at random and if one of them takes the bait they're quids in. 

Sadly there will always be folks out there who just don't know better and will be lured into this.  Just in this case it's a likely non-existent "garage" which has whisked the car away and refused to release it back to the owner until they paid a vastly inflated invoice, I'd wager without even opening the bonnet.

I'd be surprised if the vehicle details given over the phone during the initial conversation were any more detailed than "your car" to be honest.  They were just fishing for someone who wouldn't immediately hang up on them and would fall for it.

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

A week and a day later this just arrived in my inbox...

screenshot.jpg.7ccbe112badb89d4d046c0b58fd355e3.jpg

Yeah, sure...You definitely didn't forget about it for a week then realise you only had one on the shelf.  Nope...

Order cancelled.  Thankfully I've got it sorted now as a local member of the owner's club had a spare gasket set on the shelf they didn't need.

Sounds to me like a similar ruse to the folks who phone you up claiming to be from Microsoft telling you that there's a problem with your computer.  They phone 500 people at random and if one of them takes the bait they're quids in. 

Sadly there will always be folks out there who just don't know better and will be lured into this.  Just in this case it's a likely non-existent "garage" which has whisked the car away and refused to release it back to the owner until they paid a vastly inflated invoice, I'd wager without even opening the bonnet.

I'd be surprised if the vehicle details given over the phone during the initial conversation were any more detailed than "your car" to be honest.  They were just fishing for someone who wouldn't immediately hang up on them and would fall for it.

I guess this only works if they have people around the country to collect the car. What are the chances that the person you call is local?

Then again, I guess that for £800, it's easy enough to drive to Glasgow to hide someone's car for a day or two

Android updates. I don't have many 'apps' that I've installed on my Moto G82 but recently updates are getting more frequent. 20 updated yesterday morning and by the evening another 17 were ready - that's gone up to 20 today.

Just now, horriblemercedes said:

I was thinking that - I'm more alarmed when updates stop!

And with a Moto, you're pretty much at their whim for the length of ongoing support.

DPfuckingD. I realise that's not a new grump. 

Got an email from them this morning saying my Favorit starter motor would be delivered between 13.30 and 14.30 today. I got home at 13.20 but Mrs Yoss had been in for some time already.

At 14.24 whilst I am literally looking out of the window I get an update saying sorry we missed you, your package will now be delivered to the local shop, we will let you know when it is there. An hour later I get the email to say it has arrived. So off I trot to the shop and it's not there. Try again tomorrow says the shopkeeper. 

Then to add insult to injury, whilst I am in the shop I get an email from eBay telling me my packet has just been delivered! No it fucking hasn't! I wave this at the shopkeeper but it's not his fault and he can't magic it out of thin air.

No idea what happens when it's not there tomorrow. I will have tell eBay, and the sender, it hasn't arrived even though they are telling me it has.

With Yodel going to the wall DPD will become the undisputed shittiest of all the shitty couriers. Evri/Hermes works really well round here. I think a lot of it is down to the individual staff but our Hermes lady is brilliant.