The grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

See, now all they needed was someone or even a sign at the platform or by the machines you needed to get the (free) tickets for the train from explaining the train wasn't running and to get the 490 bus from wherever instead.  Rather than having half the people trying to leave the airport going on a giant treasure hunt to try to work out how to get back to their car.  

I think that's what annoys me even more is that it's a situation that was so infuriating and could have been avoided by something so simple!  Granted, nobody we asked (including at the main information desk) knew of any way other than the train to get between the terminals either, so having someone there who actually knows would be a good start.

I doubt anybody at the airport knew this either. And whilst the tubes, buses and Elizabeth Line are all run by TfL I don't think they talk to eachother. 

And to be honest if somebody at the airport did start telling everybody where the 490 is it would get totally overwhelmed as it's only a single decker, Dennis Dart or whatever the modern equivalent is. The 285 to T1,2,3 is a full size decker so a bit more useful. But I can tell everybody on Autoshite without it overwhelming the service.

But for future reference it goes from right outside the T5 entrance about 1 minute walk from where the escalator comes up from the Underground. It really is very convenient. Which is annoying as British Airways seem to have moved their European flights to T3 which is in the arse end of nowhere. It's about a ten minute walk along multiple moving walkways from the so called T1,2,3 Underground station

Last time I used it was at 5am on a Sunday and it was full and standing by the time we got to Feltham. They must be the only buses in the country that are running full at that time of day. It seems to be mostly staff at that time.

2 hours ago, andyberg said:

Hate to say it chap but you need to kick back and say fuck off to it all. I know we all tell you this but really, you should do it. There is no point moaning about it if you are going to simply keep on doing it. You will feel much better when you do. 

Stress, running about, pissed off= early time in the ground.

Idiot sister is now hugely offended after receiving my 'very abusive' text. The one that says "Next time you order a fucking huge heavy box have it delivered to your house".

Oh, lordy lord! Pass the smelling salts vicar. I wouldn't want to upset her further, so I think it's best if she FRO, learns to live independently.

On 19/02/2024 at 13:10, rattlecan said:

Arseholes in their company cars (usually reps, but not exclusively) sat outside my business unit  talking on their phones through the car speakers with the volume still on 90mph driving  setting so you can here them in the next county.

Which has just happened for 15 mins 

You need an air rifle pal. That and a vantage point they can't see you from.

Is that on the street?  Looks like a car park.

Heathrow bus chat all very helpful, turns out there's even a hotel courtesy bus that goes from the T4 hotels to T5.  I spoke to several tube and train staff yesterday, in between the various train cancellation notices, and none knew anything about buses.

7 hours ago, mercedade said:

I turn up to every interview, in person or online, with a (professional, smart looking) notepad in which I've written out 10-12 examples of Things Wot I've Done, laid out in bullet points, one scenario per page. Each page is headed with at least 3 cues (eg 'time management' or 'resolving conflict') it could be relevant to.

When I'm asked the 'could you give me an example of a time when you've managed a challenging situation?' I then explain that I'm just going to see which of these examples best fits the question and then answer. When I'm done flicking through, I always ask them to repeat the question before giving my anecdote.

Interviews aren't a memory test, they're an opportunity to demonstrate you have the skills they need and I would never have an issue with someone giving themselves the best chance of giving a good answer. Twenty years of reasonably senior public sector roles (including NHS) and the only feedback I've ever had about the notepad from interview panels was "that's a really nice idea".

I'm struggling to find the words to describe just how unimpressed I would be if someone I was interviewing referred to a notebook throughout an interview. 

Basic interview technique to remind yourself of your career highlights and lowlights beforehand.

51 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Is that on the street?  Looks like a car park.

Heathrow bus chat all very helpful, turns out there's even a hotel courtesy bus that goes from the T4 hotels to T5.  I spoke to several tube and train staff yesterday, in between the various train cancellation notices, and none knew anything about buses.

I'm not surprised, I'm sure they only get told what they need to know to do their job unless they just happen to be a bus crank with a good knowledge of buses in the Hounslow area. A quick look on Google maps suggests there is also the 482 which does T5 to T4 on its way to Southall, I only knew of the 490 because it goes to a handy place to park the car if you're coming off the M3.

I must admit I only do it about twice a year and I am a bit concerned that I'll get to my usual parking spot one day and find they've implemented residents parking permits. Then I'll be buggered. I don't really have a plan B if that happens. I'll find out in May when I'm off to Romania.

44 minutes ago, fairkens said:

I'm struggling to find the words to describe just how unimpressed I would be if someone I was interviewing referred to a notebook throughout an interview. 

Basic interview technique to remind yourself of your career highlights and lowlights beforehand.

I’m struggling to think how fuckin bad my life would have to be to go for an interview. I had one once in 1981. I’ve never spent time with such self righteous prick’s since 

9 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

See, now all they needed was someone or even a sign at the platform or by the machines you needed to get the (free) tickets for the train from explaining the train wasn't running and to get the 490 bus from wherever instead.  Rather than having half the people trying to leave the airport going on a giant treasure hunt to try to work out how to get back to their car.  

I think that's what annoys me even more is that it's a situation that was so infuriating and could have been avoided by something so simple!  Granted, nobody we asked (including at the main information desk) knew of any way other than the train to get between the terminals either, so having someone there who actually knows would be a good start.

This was my point, not a clue about job/service their doing.

8 hours ago, 3VOM said:

I'm not bothering with the lottery tonight.

IMG_20240220_154444835_MFNR.jpg

"This is the lock picking lawyer and in today's episode ..."

There was a case where DVLA clamped a car that was off the road and they ended up picking it up then scrapping it. It was some guys pride and joy (330ci freshly restored iirc) so was gutted, especially as it was actually off road. DVLA only paid "market value" despite the chap spending much more than it was worth sorting it. Went to court over the amount. DVLA won and only had to pay out that much smaller value, despite them removing a car that wasn't on the road. 

7 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Idiot sister is now hugely offended after receiving my 'very abusive' text. The one that says "Next time you order a fucking huge heavy box have it delivered to your house".

Oh, lordy lord! Pass the smelling salts vicar. I wouldn't want to upset her further, so I think it's best if she FRO, learns to live independently.

Does this bint actually do anything in life, or is she one of these who just sits staring vacantly into her phone all day and night?

Only saw rain for two hours on monday - been v windy this last week tho

Wasnt raining when i left england only cold

Would be going to ireland on the bike on friday but the weather is only gonna be 2-3 deg thats minus at 60-70-80 mph 

Sod that - sleep and cake for a coupla days

14 hours ago, fairkens said:

Baffling attitude - but horses for courses innit? I'm not going to take a job in a place that treats an interview as a deliberately hostile encounter.

And the times when I'm sat on the other side of the table, I'm hoping that every candidate I interview gives the best possible account of themselves. If they employ successful strategies to get there, gives me the information I need and gives a good account of themselves, what's the issue? 

If they sit there reading drone-like and not engaging with the panel, they've not used their preparation appropriately.

If they bluster in, give vague, unstructured answers and replace competence with confidence, I'll come to the same conclusion.

15 hours ago, fairkens said:

I absolutely would hate to work for that company. It's not a confidence test.

17 hours ago, 3VOM said:

It is insured, SORNd and off the public road. DVLA have done this to be before. Today they also left a "Not Taxed" sticker on a neighbour's car, which is also off road and SORNd.

If they've already clamped it, then it's on the radar for getting shifted.

Seriously- get it stashed away (or resolved asap)

On 20/02/2024 at 00:45, LightBulbFun said:

fuck knows what will actually turn up this time!

I had to say something didn't I! 

this is what showed up, its like fucking play Goldilocks/whack-a-mole here

IMG_5011.thumb.jpeg.cd1db25aaadc15a02a5b65661242e4c4.jpeg

so the starters they sent this time *are* electronic, but they are *not* the high power sort, I specifically ordered high power, electronic starters, for some special VHO (Very High output) fluorescent tubes I have that operate in the 1.5A range, which will normally blow the arse out of any regular starter,

"4-125W" is not going to be any good for this *140W* 5ft tube I have for example

image.thumb.png.a582a21a75185bffd19554cd7fff1a9c.png

3 hours ago, juular said:

I absolutely would hate to work for that company. It's not a confidence test.

Given the way modern job interviews are constructed, with tick-box bullet points for the interviewer to check off a list, is it any wonder so many workplaces are filled with such wallopers nowadays?

4 hours ago, mercedade said:

Baffling attitude - but horses for courses innit? I'm not going to take a job in a place that treats an interview as a deliberately hostile encounter.

And the times when I'm sat on the other side of the table, I'm hoping that every candidate I interview gives the best possible account of themselves. If they employ successful strategies to get there, gives me the information I need and gives a good account of themselves, what's the issue? 

If they sit there reading drone-like and not engaging with the panel, they've not used their preparation appropriately.

If they bluster in, give vague, unstructured answers and replace competence with confidence, I'll come to the same conclusion.

Horses for courses I suppose.

Imo proper interview technique (on both sides of the table) means they shouldn't be required.

It has never occurred to me that there would be a situation where someone would need to refer to notes. It would completely ruin the flow of the interview.

In my game it would instantly mark you out as a weak candidate as recall under pressure can be an important part of the job, maybe that's why i havent seen it.

1 hour ago, fairkens said:

Horses for courses I suppose.

Imo proper interview technique (on both sides of the table) means they shouldn't be required.

It has never occurred to me that there would be a situation where someone would need to refer to notes. It would completely ruin the flow of the interview.

In my game it would instantly mark you out as a weak candidate as recall under pressure can be an important part of the job, maybe that's why i havent seen it.

I guess it depends on the industry. In mine, almost every destructive and costly poor decision has been made by the sort of person who can rattle off exactly the right answers at exactly the right times, and can tell anyone exactly what they want to hear. However when put in a situation where actual competency is required everything falls apart in a dramatic fashion.

Conversely the cleanup of said messes are usually done in the background by highly skilled and undervalued people who would probably cower if you spoke to them off guard.

6 minutes ago, juular said:

I guess it depends on the industry. In mine, almost every destructive and costly poor decision has been made by the sort of person who can rattle off exactly the right answers at exactly the right times, and can tell anyone exactly what they want to hear. However when put in a situation where actual competency is required everything falls apart in a dramatic fashion.

Conversely the cleanup of said messes are usually done in the background by highly skilled and undervalued people who would probably cower if you spoke to them off guard.

Hence my nervous breakdown last autumn and the fact I'm now 150 miles away hiding in the middle of nowhere.

Referring to notes, relatively seamlessly, would be a plus in my book.  Certainly using them as a trigger is fine - a positive in many cases.

Not sure how well asking to repeat the question would go down afterwards though, feels like stalling and would require a perfect answer to pull off 

Milton Keynes council have changed their on street parking.  It used to be possible to buy time in increments of 15 minutes - now it's 2 hours minimum.  Which given that the city centre car parks are £2 an hour is a bit steep when 99% of the time I'm there I'm running into one specific shop to grab one specific thing and usually I'm there for less than 20 minutes.

Guess I'll just go to the retail parks that are a bit further away then!  Bugger paying £2 for 30 minutes parking.

Some scamming bams in Glasgow have ripped off a friend of my daughter's. 

They phoned him up telling him the mileage etc of his car and how it needed a service. This would be £145 including collecting and dropping off. 

He's at uni on a visa and a bit naive, so thought this was normal practice in this country.

They wouldn't return his car until they paid this bill.

Screenshot_20240221-165908-537.png.29511c85a043b67024807f0298276368.png

The invoice letter head is for a garage in Enfield London, who are no doubt oblivious to their name being used.

Dirty bastards