The grumpy thread

outlaw118

23 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Finally had a walk round and successfully found our abducted garden waste bin - tucked away on a driveway right at the opposite end of the street. 

It was retrieved and has now been plastered on reflective tape and had the house number and address marked on the lid plus the number on all sides.

1312654829_IMG_20210517_1810212.thumb.jpg.54fcd4db76231f4cbb93047f35a8bd15.jpg

Hopefully that will discourage the gits from trying that again.

Really sick of this sort of suburban nonsense.

I reckon number 18 are going to have you right off 

6 hours ago, cort1977 said:

The IEA are the International Energy Agency, set up after the 1973 oil crisis to manage the oil supply, hardly a green campaign group.

Where we end up on this carbon neutral drive is ideally keeping the rise in global temperatures below 2 degrees.  Failing to do that will have significant consequences for our children and grandchildren such as droughts, fires and floods creating millions of climate refugees.  Arguably, that's already happening in Africa.

I'd also add in the ever-worsening annual fires in Australia.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:28 PM, tobyd said:

What I love more than anything is finding some loser has replaced something with the wrong part and in order to make it work* has also soldered on a connector for said wrong part.

Well done whoever you are.

Good work.

Please don't say it is the SV. If it is, it wasn't me!

13 hours ago, R1152 said:

I'd also add in the ever-worsening annual fires in Australia.

Are you sure they're getting worse. The biggest ever was in 1851 and burned out ¼ of what is now Victoria. There's more deaths and property destruction than before, but that could be owing to people deciding to live in vulnerable areas. Most of Australia isn't really suitable for human habitation, unless you are willing to adopt the same lifestyle as the Aborigines.

Nice day.  Have errands to run.  Would like to take TPA out.

Not going to happen as I can barely get out of my drive because of the school parking situation, much less shuffle cars around to get anything out of the garage (which is behind two parking spaces worth of driveway).

Really wish we could bump "redevelopment of the front garden/driveway" up the priority list to solve that.  Oh, or indeed find someone willing to come and give us a quote for the work...rather than just sucking air through their teeth and saying "That's gonna be expensive mate!"

Yeah...no shit Sherlock... I'm asking you to basically bulldoze a 30 by 10 metre area and lay a complete new driveway, path, lawn etc, sorting the drainage while you're at it...Of bloody course it's going to be expensive.  If it was a simple one day job I'd do it myself. 

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

Are you sure they're getting worse. The biggest ever was in 1851 and burned out ¼ of what is now Victoria. There's more deaths and property destruction than before, but that could be owing to people deciding to live in vulnerable areas. Most of Australia isn't really suitable for human habitation, unless you are willing to adopt the same lifestyle as the Aborigines.

Perhaps I should have said "more frequent" but to me, they do seem to be getting worse. I'm not sure the residents of VIC who lost their homes last year will be terribly comforted to know it was bigger in 1851 but yes, I'm aware most of Aus isn't suitable for habitation - I spent several months working there in the early 00s.

It's not a place I'd choose to live; the popular image is somewhat at variance with the experience I had.

2 minutes ago, R1152 said:

Perhaps I should have said "more frequent" but to me, they do seem to be getting worse. I'm not sure the residents of VIC who lost their homes last year will be terribly comforted to know it was bigger in 1851 but yes, I'm aware most of Aus isn't suitable for habitation - I spent several months working there in the early 00s.

It's not a place I'd choose to live; the popular image is somewhat at variance with the experience I had.

Yes, I had a friend whose dream it was to live there, who finally made it around 1990, a civil engineer. He hated it and went back to Wales after 6 months. 

4 hours ago, R1152 said:

I found that.  It's nowhere near as laid back as I had been led to expect, and there are just as many arseholes there as there are everywhere else.

Yes, the friend who I mentioned above left because to quote him ,"if you meet four people walking abreast down the pavement they won't make room for you but just push you into the gutter." He felt that epitomised the behaviour out there. He himself was a very considerate individual, without being a wuss.

6 hours ago, artdjones said:

Are you sure they're getting worse. 

Yes.  It's been well proven by the CSIRO and many others.  I'm going to stop debating this now, promise.

14 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I found that.  It's nowhere near as laid back as I had been led to expect, and there are just as many arseholes there as there are everywhere else.

Definitely.  I lived there for six years, it's amazing but the people are no better than anywhere else and my family are back here now.

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Exactly my experience: in fact I've not worked in a place so bloody bureaucratic and officious as Australia, and I've worked in France!

15 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

And Ypres, which is a fantastic place to visit if you get the chance. When I went there 3 years ago it was excellent from morning till dusk.

Did you stay till 8pm for the firemen giving the Last Post at the Menin Gate?  That's an experience...

The horn keeps sounding on the vectra. No hazard lights or siren. We have had a "safeguard" message since we bought the car indicating something is wrong with the alarm. It has to remain unlocked all the time.

20 hours ago, R1152 said:

Exactly my experience: in fact I've not worked in a place so bloody bureaucratic and officious as Australia, and I've worked in France!

19 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I think Belgium might give it a run for its money to be fair...

Belgium previously held the world record of 548 days, functioning without a Government, so I reckon their bureaucracy is pretty good.

Either that, or Belgium works despite its Government rather than because of it.