The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I bought 3 new 4-foot led strip lights today. I had bought some switches and stuff a while back so went to get dug in putting it up.

Can I find the Romex I bought a few years ago? Can I hell.

The price of it has gone up too, which means running 30 feet of wire is in the $50 range.

Why the hell copper got so ludicrously expensive?

14 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Although that won't help with the Hermes problem unfortunately.  Unless you find a creative use for it of course.

To expand slightly.... Ordered a driveshaft for my Focus on 25/01 and it was despatched same day with bloody Hermes and due to be delivered 30/01 no sign of it and tracking just says it's with the local courier.  I have a shaft off my spares car but doubt it's much better than the one that's on it. Shaft I'm supposed to be removing will not budge regardless of hammering so plan is to remove the hub and get it popped out by local friendly garage on their press, oh yeah...but the balljoint won't split so I have ordered a scissor type splitter 

The old sx200 Printer played up today , the yellow tank went off , so full set of full tanks later and some head cleaning with the adjustment program and all was ok 
So a quick visit to amazon and the ink supplies are drying up ! , so a ltb of some 20 ink tanks .. and look for a new printer ...
How much !!! , Is there a run on printers 
Keep the old printer working ....
Think everyone working from home has bought a printer and webcam in these lock downs as you cannot really get many printers for under £100 and webcams now seem to be £30.
I am also surprised that countries such as China haven't been making fake/copy printers before now bundled with ink, as once used or tried they would be unreturnable.

19 minutes ago, omegod said:

To expand slightly.... Ordered a driveshaft for my Focus on 25/01 and it was despatched same day with bloody Hermes and due to be delivered 30/01 no sign of it and tracking just says it's with the local courier.  I have a shaft off my spares car but doubt it's much better than the one that's on it. Shaft I'm supposed to be removing will not budge regardless of hammering so plan is to remove the hub and get it popped out by local friendly garage on their press, oh yeah...but the balljoint won't split so I have ordered a scissor type splitter 

Take the whole arm off ?

Having to deal with Spanish electrics. The house has three switch fuse boxes. All with differing amount of switches. This one is in the laundry room.

The issue for me is they have all got the wiring jammed into a small space. Cables are sold and not flexible. Most pairs are tied together making it more difficult to make repairs.

wiring.thumb.jpg.737746eff9934bc9ac8f6a0d78b69426.jpg

2 hours ago, louiepj said:

Think everyone working from home has bought a printer and webcam in these lock downs as you cannot really get many printers for under £100 and webcams now seem to be £30.
I am also surprised that countries such as China haven't been making fake/copy printers before now bundled with ink, as once used or tried they would be unreturnable.

Try cartridgesave.co.uk 

4 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Having to deal with Spanish electrics. The house has three switch fuse boxes. All with differing amount of switches. This one is in the laundry room.

The issue for me is they have all got the wiring jammed into a small space. Cables are sold and not flexible. Most pairs are tied together making it more difficult to make repairs.

wiring.thumb.jpg.737746eff9934bc9ac8f6a0d78b69426.jpg

I've been in restaurants in Spain and Spanish islands, nervously looking at their fuseboxes that are proudly on display. Get a Spanish electrician, manyana, obs

My Accident, Sickness and Unemployment insurance renewal has landed in my inbox. 

Because of the Covid impact you can't get unemployment insurance easily just now and my monthly payment will increase from £15.90 to £36.50.

Unsure how to proceed as I've been no stranger to redundancy in the past 2 years although I didn't need to call on it.

Thinking I might just phone them to try and barter a bit and then just roll with it. Looks like it's that or nothing.

11 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Cor, one make/model owners clubs are a bit tedious aren’t they?

Someone found my 3 month / 1500 mile ownership report of my ZS EV and now pensioners are beying for my blood because I didn’t say it was the best thing since sliced and it had a clickbait title :lol: 

I posted up what I thought was a helpful video on the 75 Facebook page that I had made about how to take off the doorcards, because the Haynes manual says you need to break the clips.

I've never seen such an ungrateful and pedantic response. "You've made a mistake", "They didn't do it like that on the production line". The smell of piss and steak pie was practically oozing from my phone over it. 

I'll never link to one of my videos or anything I think might be helpful again on any FB owners group. It's simply not worth the aggro. There are always one or two big cheeses on owners groups. I just let them get on with it.

On the subject of videos, the camera on my phone finally died mid-take yesterday. 

I had tried to go off-track with this choice of phone on the back of a recommendation from someone but it's a steaming pile of Labrador shit.

Redmi 8XT, lasted about 8 months. It has a lot of other bugs too, like freezing regularly and when I click a link I just get a plain white or black screen and no activity.

I pick up my Samsung A21 at lunchtime. Decent camera and 32gig for £150. My wife has the same one and likes it, that will do.

2 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

On the subject of videos, the camera on my phone finally died mid-take yesterday. 

I had tried to go off-track with this choice of phone on the back of a recommendation from someone but it's a steaming pile of Labrador shit.

Redmi 8XT, lasted about 8 months. It has a lot of other bugs too, like freezing regularly and when I click a link I just get a plain white or black screen and no activity.

I pick up my Samsung A21 at lunchtime. Decent camera and 32gig for £150. My wife has the same one and likes it, that will do.

Not an Android fan at all, apple bell end through and through but I can’t imagine much worse than a knock off one 

4 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I've had a Samsung A40 for the last 18 months and it's pretty good.  The Axx phones are way cheaper than the S series and I can't see much difference for real world use.

1 minute ago, Kiltox said:

Not an Android fan at all, apple bell end through and through but I can’t imagine much worse than a knock off one 

I loved my old iphone5. Splice was great for videos and you could insert music from iTunes.

I had to get my son an iPad for school as they insist on using Teams which doesn't seem to work on anything else. It is so much more intuitive to use than an Android but I'm too skint to buy a decent iPhone for myself now!

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

My Accident, Sickness and Unemployment insurance renewal has landed in my inbox. 

Because of the Covid impact you can't get unemployment insurance easily just now and my monthly payment will increase from £15.90 to £36.50.

Unsure how to proceed as I've been no stranger to redundancy in the past 2 years although I didn't need to call on it.

Thinking I might just phone them to try and barter a bit and then just roll with it. Looks like it's that or nothing.

Mine was the same, they decided not to auto-renew like they had done for the previous years and I have to take the new terms and conditions at £37 a month instead of £18, its mildly annoying.

58 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

I've had a Samsung A40 for the last 18 months and it's pretty good.  The Axx phones are way cheaper than the S series and I can't see much difference for real world use.

Yep, I recently "upgraded" (it's technically a downgrade really) to an A42 and so far I've been pretty impressed - the camera in particular is far better than the one on my old phone.

22 hours ago, omegod said:

I accosted the local Hermes guy in the street earlier who denied ever having handled my shaft  but said he would investigate it thoroughly, he knocked at my house 10 minutes later sheepishly holding my shaft with both hands ( I'm loving the euphemisms :)  )  Turns out an old lady down the road was mystified and possibly even slightly shocked at receiving a shaft she hadn't asked for several days ago.  I said I'd had no notification of anything being delivered and tracking said it was still with the courier, he advised me to claim it as lost and get refunded  ..... hmm not sure about that !