The grumpy thread

outlaw118

FFS is it an Aux belt, serpentine belt, V belt or any other belt? Trying to do some research as I;m bored at work, and see all these things mentioned.

I've ordered a belt from ebay in the vain hope that it's the right one, I even put my reg number and mobile number in the message box as asked. Place your bets now! (it wont come until next week)

Idiot sister saga continues. Story so far, in Cyprus, decides eye is defective, makes up xenophobic reasons not to get it checked out there (I've always wanted to use xenophobic in a sentence), books easyjet and comes back.

Today she drives to a&e, who realise what an important case she is and plonk her fat arse in the waiting room for 4 hours. Doctor doom then sticks her on the eye machine, examines her eyes and pronounces there's absolutely fuck all wrong with her. He cheerily tells her you can fly back to Cyprus now if you want.

She then drives back with dilated eyes 'cos she's not walking for 10 minutes to get to the hospital. 

No doubt she'll kick off on Saturday that it's definitely worse and she wants a 'real doctor' (read not a foreigner) to look at it.

TLDR: idiot sister is idiot.

Finally got my replacement wing for my car. Good condition you say??

Needless to say when I saw it wrapped up in ripped brown paper with no protection whatsoever I should have known there would be problems. Giving the seller (208 feedback, 100% record) 3 days to comment or I am negging and opening a claim against him. If it was cheap I would have lived with it but it was more than a new part in primer. Was hoping the paint would have been somewhat better....

post-3538-0-86707100-1462478517_thumb.jpeg

post-3538-0-71989300-1462478528_thumb.jpeg

post-3538-0-20244100-1462478539_thumb.jpeg

post-3538-0-66335700-1462478551_thumb.jpeg

Sorry i should not laugh but reading this cheered me up no end. Sorry, as for pressure washers they don't like me and all seem to grenade after the warranty expires. The one i have now that's due to grenade mid June is some b&q own brand, as much use as and ashtray on a motorbike as im sure your in France.

My Karcher expired third time I used it. Apparently "water got in it". Really? Water in a pressure washer? Who'd have thunk it.....

Signum failed the MOT. Broken spring - not unusual on Signum/Vectras. Both back tyres, which are Dunlops, have splits in the inside sidewalls, so are dubiously legal as well as MOT fails. Worst of all the front subframe has a hole in it right where the suspension hangs on it. I daren't think how much a new one is, even if they exist, but I don't know how easy a weld repair would be and it would be one of those situations where you could find more damage as you attempt the fix. Plus, as the frame is pretty thick, I suspect my welder and little skill will not be enough for me to effect a repair. :-(

Signum failed the MOT. Broken spring - not unusual on Signum/Vectras. Both back tyres, which are Dunlops, have splits in the inside sidewalls, so are dubiously legal as well as MOT fails. Worst of all the front subframe has a hole in it right where the suspension hangs on it. I daren't think how much a new one is, even if they exist, but I don't know how easy a weld repair would be and it would be one of those situations where you could find more damage as you attempt the fix. Plus, as the frame is pretty thick, I suspect my welder and little skill will not be enough for me to effect a repair. :-(

If you're near Cheltenham, it's a rear spring and they're the same as a Vectra C estate, I have one in my workshop somewhere you're welcome to have

(Or if you want to pay the postage)

I'd love a pressure washer but you need a full, empty 8x6 shed to store one in because the FUCKING PAIN THE THE ARSE SHITTY NYLON HOSE is completely impossible to coil up in any meaningful way and keep it that way for more than about 5 seconds without it springing all over the place. Do the better ones have a rubber hose like proper hydraulic stuff? I've only ever used JTF or AA branded bollocks.

I'd love a pressure washer but you need a full, empty 8x6 shed to store one in because the FUCKING PAIN THE THE ARSE SHITTY NYLON HOSE is completely impossible to coil up in any meaningful way and keep it that way for more than about 5 seconds without it springing all over the place. Do the better ones have a rubber hose like proper hydraulic stuff? I've only ever used JTF or AA branded bollocks.

Cable ties?

^would it not be easier to get a second hand sub-frame off of a scrapper and swap it over, rather than try to repair it?

First I'd have to source one in sufficiently better condition than mine to justify the effort in swapping it. Second I have nowhere to work indoors. I also suspect I'll need an engine lift or frame of some sort (seen someone on a Vx owners forum do it). I'm just worried that there is so much hung off the subframe that I have to remove and refit that it becomes an expensive job e.g. re-gas air con.

If you're near Cheltenham, it's a rear spring and they're the same as a Vectra C estate, I have one in my workshop somewhere you're welcome to have

(Or if you want to pay the postage)

I'll bear it in mind thank you but the spring is a lesser worry than the solution to the front subframe. On this the rear spring is either a bolt or two and drop the arm, swap spring or four bolts holding a carrier, spring compressors and swap spring. A job which I hope would be reasonably straight forward for me.

do the Signums not share front end parts with the Vectra? I would have thought finding a subframe would easy bit

I believe they are the same but the issue is finding one in good condition (bits of them rusting is a known issue) and the cost of the associated work to swap them over. Also not sure yet if the diesel differs from the petrol.

Couriers.

I've been expecting a parcel this week, 8am today I get an email from ipostparcel/UKMail saying there'll be a delivery between 10:35 and 11:35. 

That's great but I'm in central London (last minute decision for a quick holiday), Old Man is in a hangar at Stansted Airport, and the mother is going out. 

I phone the mother who leaves a note telling the courier to leave it with a neighbour who's been informed.

I can only guess that the courier never showed up or went to the wrong street  (xxxx Street not xxxx Avenue, that idiotically join on to each other) because of sat nav, nobody in at the wrong house.

10:50 while trying to find a Boris bike docking station that's not full of bikes, I get a 'sorry we missed you' email saying nobody answered the door and the fucker's left a card and not delivered, despite the note that was left. (This makes me think wrong street).

We don't have the card, our neighbours don't, and the same number house on the other street doesn't have it either 'cause the mother went round later on to ask.  

The email says to 'click the button below' to rearrange delivery.. well <ahnold> THERE IS NO BATHROOM BUTTON</ahnold>. Luckily there's a card number in the email so I've sent a query to UKMail to see WTF is going on.

The amount of times this has happened makes me want to go out with some spray paint, and vandalise the road with 'THIS IS NOT xxxxx AVENUE - KEEP GOING', as well as painting some street signs on the wall as the council apparently can't afford to put more than 1 sign out of 4 where two different named roads meet, so it looks like one road.)

Having exhumed the Mazda thought I;d fit the new bit of door trim I bought a month ago. No, can't 'cos the first screw I came to ti get the door panel off (holds the escutcheon round the internal door handle) hasn't got a head. Not just a bit chewed, sort of ground off! Drill in garage, need electricity, can't be arsed. So I washed it instead.

I do like the Mazda, it's so much fun and I give zero fucks about ti so I can relax when driving it. Unlike the other bugger where I am constantly on edge.

Absolutely.

You want a nuclear powered robot remotely exploring the surface of Mars? No problem, there is about 4 of them up there.

You want a pressure washer thats not shit? with beefed up versions of a hoovers retractable flex mechanism for its own power cord and hose? Literally fucking impossible. Cant be done.

What's this shit...

post-20071-0-97105700-1462531505_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-72813600-1462531508_thumb.jpg

I literally could not find what the oil grade, specification or anything on what this oil is.

Being Castrol Edge, I would assume it is their full synthetic (as its their synthetic brand), but there isn't even any mention of that.

I'll bear it in mind thank you but the spring is a lesser worry than the solution to the front subframe. On this the rear spring is either a bolt or two and drop the arm, swap spring or four bolts holding a carrier, spring compressors and swap spring. A job which I hope would be reasonably straight forward for me.

Lower shock bolt out and you can push the lower arm down with your foot, voila spring out with no need for compressor

No rating, no spec, not suitable for sporty  engines or classics, not to use more than 1 bottle between oil changes......I would bet its the shittiest Valu Brand budget oil available that is normally a mix of whatever is left in the bottom of their bulk tanks and optimistically labeled 10W40 that has been rebranded into shiny Castrol bottles. It can be sold as it is because pretty much anything runny and slippery is better than no oil at all and most folk dont know any better.