What proportion of your cars actually "work"

straightSix

I'm going to use a very loose definition here. If you were at home and injured yourself say, could you use your car to get to the hospital. So like you could probably swap out a flat battery but probably not change a gearbox. Even by that low standard, 75% of car cars are currently broken... Now, I'm not saying it's a coincidence but that number significantly went up since I started buying frog chod.

Bonus picture of my CX. Probably moments before it broke again ?

IMG_20190908_152106184_HDR (2).jpg

Not too bad at the moment,

three still actually road legal - all over 17 years old (granted not that old for this place), one drivable mot-less (needs welding) '05, one uninsured (modern -'12 plate, so doesn't count) and three 'in need of improvement' / fucked.

Nothing exotic* like a CX though

2 hours ago, straightSix said:

I'm going to use a very loose definition here. If you were at home and injured yourself say, could you use your car to get to the hospital.

how loose is very loose, does said car have to be road legal? or is this a sort of "worlds gone to shit and you have to get to the winchester" type of question? :) 

I guess REV could, especially so as you don't need your legs to drive her! LOL (and although she is of handle bar configuration im sure in a pinch you could man handle it and drive with just 1 arm/hand as if it was a tiller machine if you had to!)

(she's done 15 miles around the FoD, and she was running when I parked her up she's just not road legal yet sadly)

My cars are 66.666...% non-functional, one has numerous fuel systems faults and is currently not starting and the other is totally fucking fucked mate, big time.

The functioning 33.333...% has my complete confidence to rush me to ER at a moment’s notice due to some form of erotic injury.

Have a few at the minute. Corona has stopped fleet reduction!

Got two MOT’d and ready to sell. (although the exhaust fell of one)

Got my daily Mk4 Golf on the road.

sorned the camper, mk2 GTI, partners Space ship civic and Zafira workhorse.

my ancient beetles legal, but not on the road. My Fourtrak is ideal for apocalypse scenarios, but is still rotten as a pear.

So, one on road, 5 road ready but SORN, two in repair or storage, and one legal but undrivable.

Saving lots on tax this month! 

6 out of 11 are projects / work in progress. Is 11 too many.........?

Audi A4 Avant daily is due MOT in May but will need front tyres soon, these are ordered but the fitting station is currently closed. I won't be driving it on illegal tryes.

Mrs T's Renault Scenic is recently serviced and up to date. Has rancid lacquer peel, and lacks appeal.

Citroen Dispatch passed its MOT before the madness and continues to provide no frills vanability.

MG Midget is still tucked away for winter.

Peugeot 205 GTi is still tucked away for winter, at risk of fleet reduction later this year (probably until I drive it anyway).

R50 MINI is in bits, awaiting rebuild and parts from donor car. 

'68 Mini 998 Cooper is having its roof painted and awaits rebuild.

MG ZR Express recently joined the fleet and will become a running resto, not too much to do for MOT (hopefully).

Citroen XM Estate (ex heidel_kakao) recently joined the fleet and is a project. Sits at a friends farm awaiting appraisal, its very rusty but has a sweet 2.5dt engine.

Volvo 265GLE Estate was fetched from Leeds and sits in a state. Massive project that is missing an engine, electric conversion sounds appealing.

VW T5 Transporter has the sale agreed and is paid for but sits at a friends garage until restrictions are lifted. Engine work needed and will replace the Citroen Dispatch.

Currently 50%.  Though to be honest in emergency circumstances if you were willing to brave driving with only 3 out of 4 wheel nuts on a wheel, 75% as other than a stripped thread in the hub the car is otherwise fully functional.

The Xantia is currently MOT-less, waiting on a new lower control arm and an exhaust...and the battery is shot.  To be fair, if it was a life threatening emergency, it'll start with a jump and drive just fine - just noisily and pulling to the right under throttle.

Actually 60% if you expand it to "means of transportation" rather than strictly speaking cars as that includes the C5 then as well, and that's also working.

4 and 100%, all mot'd, taxed and insured, average age 20; owner's average age three score and ten (mrs K a day short to the minimum but I think that's acceptably close)

bmw. e28  1986 ( when are you going to sell it, it just sits in the garage - no, offers are not invited)

Honda crv 2000

Boxer camper 2003

C3 Picasso 2011

About two thirds working, which isn’t bad for me. Not necessarily road legal, mind you, and I’d have to hotwire the E30 to get at two of the others because I lost the only key.

Only the Gamma and the Granada won’t run. The Audi goes but has no brakes and the Rancho would probably start but has had its interior removed ready for welding.

The XJ-S works perfectly but is locked in a closed garage as I didn’t collect it before the balloon went up.

Everything else works, to varying degrees.

Just now, Six-cylinder said:

49%

29 out of 59 

+ 1 working modern, 30 out of 60 is 50%

does that include @Mrs6C's milkfloat? because @straightSix did say your allowed to swap out a flat battery :mrgreen:

4 hours ago, straightSix said:

I'm going to use a very loose definition here. If you were at home and injured yourself say, could you use your car to get to the hospital. So like you could probably swap out a flat battery