Trigs new project - Granada Scorpio

trigger

I think CAR in Period said in the good bad ugly that they were a 4 wheeled sofa. Was that down as bad or good? Good in my book. Fuck the Nurburgring I want to waft and be comfy.

This looks so great in white I think it’s the 80s ness but white has come full circle; is now specced by on trend persons on new cars (apparently!)

39 minutes ago, HMC said:

......This looks so great in white I think it’s the 80s ness but white has come full circle; is now specced by on trend persons on new cars (apparently!)

White is still the best colour for keeping out the heat. I can't understand why people are so keen on black.

Excellent cars!

1989 I started working as a teacher. Bloke I knew had a garage selling cars. He had a deal going on with Hoovers in Merthyr-they were selling fleet cars off. One of them was a 3 year old silver Granada Ghia 2.8i. It had done about 100000 miles but fully serviced and just over £3000. A cracking car, supremely comfortable and reliable. Had it for about 8 years. Think it was C391 TLK.

steve

2 minutes ago, Stevebrookman said:

Excellent cars!

1989 I started working as a teacher. Bloke I knew had a garage selling cars. He had a deal going on with Hoovers in Merthyr-they were selling fleet cars off. One of them was a 3 year old silver Granada Ghia 2.8i. It had done about 100000 miles but fully serviced and just over £3000. A cracking car, supremely comfortable and reliable. Had it for about 8 years. Think it was C391 TLK.

steve

Off topic, did you continue as a teacher?! 

Trigger - great save - did you have to move something on to make space for this barge? 

These are great cars.

I paid £150 for a black E reg two litre Ghia back in '99.

It needed a new bonnet and front screen after the former wasn't latched properly and struck the later.

A second hand bonnet in the right colour and a screen replaced for mates rates saw it right,it was also a four speed auto and quite long legged compared to all the three speed autoboxes around at the time.

Her indoors loved it too as the rear hatch meant it could easily carry all the kiddy buggies but even at twelve years old the rear arches were going home.

Nice motor, well done. The seats in the Scorpio always looked like part of some ruched leather 3 piece suite from the  '80's, uber cool. Is that a graphic equalizer I can see?

A mate of mine had the booted Granada version in the early 1990's, used to do crazy mileages in his job & it never let him down, proper mile eater. I also recall it had the most incredible amount of space in it, rear legroom was immense.

Only issue he ever had were heater matrix's going bang, he put a couple in (serious pain in the arse as to get the dash out properly you should I think take the windscreen out). He cut the dash I think.

Good luck with this it'll be cracking when finished ;)

1 hour ago, Bren said:

I have bought wheel arch repair panels for ours - new sills also on the shopping list.

Doing it for sentimental reasons - these cars are pretty worthless.

https://www.carbodypanels4u.co.uk/rear-wheel-arch-232527?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw44jrBRAHEiwAZ9igKDHHdwcZAr9ihe5H-1jOWl3ltKaYSo0KnkG7Q-r-4Ex0-yuPOQoFvRoCeJAQAvD_BwE

Our's is an F plate - but it's the 2.4. A bit of a lemon - two litre performance but with V6 fuel consumption.

Ours is a ghia - has cloth but the paint is flint grey - I have not seen another ford with this colour.

This was the car I always wanted my dad to buy when I was a kid. Whenever he visited Westwood & Clark in Clacton for parts, I'd always make a beeline for a Scorpio in the showroom, jump in the back and hope I could electrically recline the rear seats. 

Very much looking forward to seeing this in the flesh some time. Good work. Again.

I remember my mate at schools dad changed their creaky Cortina for a C reg Granada 1.8.

I wonder how they got on with it as they were a very large family.

I don't mean there were lots of them, but they were a family who obviously liked their food, putting it as politely as I can.

OR:

How did a 1.8 Pinto pull along a bloody great Granada with those fat bastards in it? 

I remember my dads (c705fpu) taking 7 of us on holiday to Blackpool. Ah those pre ncap days.

F7EE8E8E-C1DF-4AF8-925D-F71DF941F7B9.thumb.png.440a084ddc61111e2769fd8d91bd4c8e.png

Must have have been an early one! Chopped in for a Toyota space cruiser (c804cvr) bacause of said expanding family in about 1990.

839CA779-34AB-411F-9011-E250FACBE98A.thumb.png.b1c1448cd70c19b26bc7b3187d4112aa.png

2 hours ago, Timewaster said:

I remember my mate at schools dad changed their creaky Cortina for a C reg Granada 1.8.

I wonder how they got on with it as they were a very large family.

I don't mean there were lots of them, but they were a family who obviously liked their food, putting it as politely as I can.

OR:

How did a 1.8 Pinto pull along a bloody great Granada with those fat bastards in it? 

slowly i suspect

3 hours ago, Bren said:

Our's is an F plate - but it's the 2.4. A bit of a lemon - two litre performance but with V6 fuel consumption.

Ours is a ghia - has cloth but the paint is flint grey - I have not seen another ford with this colour.

In real life there was very little difference between 2.4s and 12valve 2.9s. We had a few 2.4 Ghias where I worked as user- chosers could  get a 2.4 with optional aircon for the same price as a 2.9 Ghia. When they ended up as pool cars or for disposal I'd always rather use a 2.4 for the a/c , probably helped driving everywhere with your foot planted on the floor , as only a company car driver with a fuel card would.