Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

19 hours ago, loserone said:

Is there a way we could look into moving storage into a more cost effective solution than what I assume are still virtual discs attached to a VM? (I.e. about the most expensive way of doing it).  Obviously it's what we've had for a while but if the costs are spiralling then perhaps it needs to be revisited - the outcome might well be "leave it as it is, the costs are more but it's lots less effort".

I asked this question a while back, looking for real experiences that people have had regarding hosting and so-on.  I haven't got a breakdown to hand, but it looks very much like the significant increase in costs recently has been due to the upload and subsequent hosting of some fairly large video files.  Now that those are being knocked on the head, I am expecting the costs to drop back a bit, although they will be higher than they used to be due to price increases from the provider.

I would welcome any alternative that is suggested.  If virtual discs attached to a VM is the expensive way of doing it, what alternative might be better?   We definitely don't use the most expensive way, as we have looked recently  at getting Invision to host everything as well as provide the forum software.  That would be around the $200/month mark, which is over double what we currently pay... not viable.  Any alternative will be considered on it's merits, even if it's only for moving the (fairly substantial) directory of images somewhere else and leave the actual forum hosted on a VM/VirtualDisc.  Always open to suggestion.

Thank you @Talbot for your clear and very detailed explanation regarding videos. The reasoning makes perfect sense to me, hopefully others too, and the encouragement to post (relevant) text and photos together with the recent increase in new, active shiters suggests AS is healthy and has enormous value. Kudos to you and all who work behind the scenes to keep it alive.

Videos always went on YouTube and got embedded, but even my budget potatocam on my phone makes .jpg images that now are rejected (>1.95Mb, files average 2.5Mb).

Auto resize is great... But I can't put pictures direct off my phone any more, which is what all the pictures I have are taken on.

Aye I didn't realise about the 1.95mb limit on pictures until now (I didn't read that bit!).  That kind of knocks it on the head for me as far as posting most pictures are concerned as external hosting sites all have a cost now.

It would probably have been cheaper for me to bung some money in the coffers here for increased storage, I did offer. Its also a faff to upload to a hosting site and then link to here. Being able to upload straight from my phone was one of the beauties of here and mainly why I don't use antiquated forums such as the 75 and ZT owners club any more. I'd have been happy to pay something towards the annual cost of that, like £20-£30 or something, and that would have been us a quarter of the way there in covering the extra $100 annual fee.

It's also going to impact for sale threads and roffles, which are a significant part of this community.

Never mind!

58 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

It would probably have been cheaper for me to bung some money in the coffers here for increased storage

Likewise, I'd be willing to pay for my share as well.

Otherwise I'll need to break out my floppy disk based Mavica to upload photographs! :lol:

4 hours ago, PhilA said:

Auto resize is great... But I can't put pictures direct off my phone any more, which is what all the pictures I have are taken on.

Are you sure? You should be good to go with this, now that the cause of the forum upload error has been found and resolved.

Would you like to have a go and see what happens?

5 hours ago, PhilA said:

(>1.95Mb,

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

1.95mb limit

This was my error, and is now fixed.  Do please try again.

(What happened:  I attempted to put a maximum overall limit of 2MB on images stored on the server.  What this actually did was put a limit on the pre-compression image, which isn't what I meant to do.  I've now turned that back up to a much higher limit.  You should be able to upload any image now, and the forum software will apply compression after the upload.)

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

that would have been us a quarter of the way there in covering the extra $100 annual fee.

Where did you get the figure of $100 annual fee from?

As I mentioned above, the images upload issue that you highlighted (1.95MB limit) was my fault and has been fixed.  The video restriction will definitely be staying though.. at the rate things were increasing, we would have been over £100/month on hosting and bandwidth fairly soon, and would have been racing towards £150 within a year.  That would be a 300% increase on 18 months ago, which is completely unsustainable.

46 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I'd clean forgotten about them! I used to use one when sorting the school website 20+ years ago...

It's surprisingly useful as the photos are at most about 70KB each. I'm telling you, I'll single-handedly solve the storage crisis... :lol:

20221028_075613.thumb.jpg.f6a92e35d0dfd6a0cf4352e800dc5ad6.jpg

6 hours ago, Talbot said:

Where did you get the figure of $100 annual fee from?

As I mentioned above, the images upload issue that you highlighted (1.95MB limit) was my fault and has been fixed.  The video restriction will definitely be staying though.. at the rate things were increasing, we would have been over £100/month on hosting and bandwidth fairly soon, and would have been racing towards £150 within a year.  That would be a 300% increase on 18 months ago, which is completely unsustainable.

I can't remember now but I was referring to what I thought was the increase not the total cost. 

But cheers for fixing the photo limit thing, that's great news!

My offer of said donation still firmly stands too.

Sorry, this one is related to me again. I hadn't repointed the DNS for the IPv6 address following the issues we had, now fixed.

Phones are moving over to use IPv6 for DNS which is why autoshite.com was being buggy on phones but generally OK on PCs (which tend to use IPv4).

It should be better now.

2 hours ago, Stanky said:

Sorry, this one is related to me again. I hadn't repointed the DNS for the IPv6 address following the issues we had, now fixed.

Phones are moving over to use IPv6 for DNS which is why autoshite.com was being buggy on phones but generally OK on PCs (which tend to use IPv4).

It should be better now.

Top diagnosis and resolution. Thank you. This place...

On 03/11/2022 at 09:10, Nyphur said:

The "how we do things" thread needs updating with the new mods that got added yesterday.

Noted - thanks.

However, for the avoidance of doubt, @Zelandeth & @beko1987  are not moderators, they simply have to show as 'staff' in order to do the completely vital job they are currently doing to keep the lights on. 

Same as @Talbot, who has on several occasions pointed out on the forum that, though he appears as 'staff' and is responsible for financial matters, he is not a moderator.

Enormous appreciation is due to all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, the recent talk about Server space and Orphaned photos reminded me of this rather bad forum glitch/bug regarding photos going missing

https://autoshite.com/topic/29443-zels-motoring-adventuresmerc-vauxhall-vw-ac-model-70-a-sinclair-c5-1011-caddy-mot-pass-achieved/page/81/?tab=comments#comment-2032247

notice how all the photos from that post turn up error 404 not found despite Zel never having deleted the photos or messed with them in any regard

https://autoshite.com/topic/29443-zels-motoring-adventuresmerc-vauxhall-vw-ac-model-70-a-sinclair-c5-1011-caddy-mot-pass-achieved/page/89/?tab=comments#comment-2096879

I have had this happen to my own posts where all the photos go missing like this, photos I know I have not deleted from my attachments

I wonder @Talbotif these are some of the orphaned photos you have found?, or do you think that the above have really been accidentally nuked somehow by someone/something else? 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Rikdogguk said:

Any ideas why I can no longer see the Shite for Sale / Wanted forum?  Seems to have completely disappeared!

On 12/1/2022 at 5:36 PM, NorthernMonkey said:

Updated 1/12/22

- Following feedback from members, access to, and obviously the ability to post on, the ‘for sale/wanted’ section is now restricted to full members only.

• 2 weeks later...