Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Gearbox will almost certainly be a BE1/5 (Reverse next to first). From memory the van & estate both had the 4.06:1 final drive ratio, the saloon had the 3.8:1 ratio fitted with the typical diesel set of ratios.

Dunno mate, mine has reverse bottom left next to second and fifth top right next to third.

My 405 has a slightly iffy drivers door lock (because Peugeot).  When you unlock you often need to turn it a bit then turn it again before the central locking catches.  A couple of times it has really failed to work and I've had to climb in through the passenger door. 

Today I tried to fix it and dismantled the doorcard, access was still crap so I applied a small cable tie to a pivot that appeared loose (to no effect) and sprayed lots of chain lube type spray which appeared to help a bit in that it now doesn't feel like the key might snap.  Unfortunately the door pin came off the threaded wire wotsit, it goes back on but just pulls off if pulled up to try and unlock the door.  Does anyone know a way to fix it back on?  I could do with an extra one too as the passenger side pin was missing when I bought the car.  An actual fix for the locking would also be handy.

I have tried and failed many times with those hateful things. Once they have been apart they never work again in my hamfisted experience!

Unfortunately the door pin came off the threaded wire wotsit, it goes back on but just pulls off if pulled up to try and unlock the door. Does anyone know a way to fix it back on?

Aye Rich, there are two methods.

1 - The official method.

The lock lifter button is coloured to the interior of the car:

post-19900-0-75347100-1548121777_thumb.jpg

This is in turn attached to a clip:

post-19900-0-26329100-1548121836_thumb.jpg

Which breaks. If it is still available from Pug/Cit then it's part number 9159.54. Used on 405 ph1 & 2, 806 and Citroen Evasion.

http://forum-auto.caradisiac.com/pole-technique/mecanique-electronique/sujet431608.htm

2. Autoshite method.

Gut a chocolate block connector.

post-19900-0-74419700-1548122453_thumb.jpg

http://www.forum-405.com/t26166-tuto-reparer-les-boutons-de-verrouillage-des-portes

(Having typed that all out, I've a feeling I've answered this question before???)

Edit to add:

Looked up Pug Servicebox and they are showing at a mere 50 eurocent each including Irish VAT (23%) from the dealer. Couldn't log into the Pug Servicebox account with Autoshite credentials as it came up with "Your country is not configured, please contact your administrator. (servicebox-contact@mpsa.com)" bollocks. Logged into Citroen Servicebox with Autoshite credentials and it was quoting a whopping 89p each inc UK VAT. That's twice the bloody price! They really are farting in your general direction. Also all the buttons and surrounds are showing NFP, so down the scrappy for them.

If you want me to get you some, I can post them with the other stuff.

Aye Rich, there are two methods.1 - The official method.The lock lifter button is coloured to the interior of the car:attachicon.giffgc504s-960.jpgThis is in turn attached to a clip:attachicon.gifRemKompKrokobil.jpgWhich breaks. If it is still available from Pug/Cit then it's part number 9159.54. Used on 405 ph1 & 2, 806 and Citroen Evasion.http://forum-auto.caradisiac.com/pole-technique/mecanique-electronique/sujet431608.htm2. Autoshite method.Gut a chocolate block connector.attachicon.gifp1020213.jpghttp://www.forum-405.com/t26166-tuto-reparer-les-boutons-de-verrouillage-des-portes(Having typed that all out, I've a feeling I've answered this question before???)Edit to add:Looked up Pug Servicebox and they are showing at a mere 50 eurocent each including Irish VAT (23%) from the dealer. Couldn't log into the Pug Servicebox account with Autoshite credentials as it came up with "Your country is not configured, please contact your administrator. (servicebox-contact@mpsa.com)" bollocks. Logged into Citroen Servicebox with Autoshite credentials and it was quoting a whopping 89p each inc UK VAT. That's twice the bloody price! They really are farting in your general direction. Also all the buttons and surrounds are showing NFP, so down the scrappy for them.If you want me to get you some, I can post them with the other stuff.

Fantastic, I'll try that. I'm embarrassed that I've never thought of that!

A friend has a Pug 307 Hdi CC of about 2007 flavour and the brake pedal occasionally goes very hard with poor braking. Going from the description I assume lack of servo, has anyone had any experience of similar on Peugeots? Vacuum pump?I haven't seen the car yet so am relying on Chinese whispers for fault description.

I had similar on a 05 C5 1.6 hdi,which eventually stopped working altogether.The vacuum pump had been passing engine oil into the servo.About ½ a pint of oil was sloshing around inside the old servo.

Planning to put Hydraflush in the GSA today. (Managed to leave the Haynes book of lies at the house!)

Trying to depressurised the system - have undone this bolt :

IMG_20190119_112607.jpg

But car is not dropping.

Can anyone advise if I'm missing something/the correct procedure please?

Thanks

I've always had BXs and Xantias,but my father in law gave me a GS manual and the procedure in there is to put the car in high,then release the bolt head on the regulator.(Not too far, there's a ball behind it.)The front end should drop.Then return the lever to normal position and allow the rear to stabilise.Finally, put the lever back to high, and the rear should drop.If that doesn't work, blame Mr.Kenneth Ball,the author of Autobook 861.

Thanks Eddie,  I found the missing passenger side pin earlier which has spent 2 years in the doorbin narrowly avoiding the hoover to the point that I knew it was part of the car but I'd forgotten which part.

I will attempt the genius plan B first but it is wonderful to know that there is an Irish solution of some sort.

De-icer.

What is the point? I've never used it, but it just sounds like a gimmick to sell aerosols

it turns an even layer of ice into a thick stoggy layer at the bottom of the screen that refreezes so thick you can't scrape it off at all.

De-icer.

What is the point? I've never used it, but it just sounds like a gimmick to sell aerosols

Had to take Mrs Beard to the local rail station at silly o'clock this morning. Car frozen solid. De-icer deployed and did nothing apart from making a frozen mess. Car started and run for ten minutes did the trick.

Why bother with any of that? I just leave it running and go in for a cuppa.

I grew up in Sunderland fella - you'd not be returning to a car. Old man had his SRi stolen from the gated back yard - with 4 of us in the house at the time. They even let the bloody dog back into the kitchen while stealing it!

Warmish water and don't even BLINK while it's running and open! :-D