Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Living in the sticks and driving shitters means that I get around this by starting the engine and going back inside to finish my tea.  I suppose a giffer style krooklock or similar could be deployed to keep a running car immobile?  Sounds easier than fitting an Eberspacher.

• Like 1

Not sure yet - just thinking about how to make the shite Citroen C1 I’m buying more comfortable for icy morning station runs.

You can get night heaters that plumb into the cooling circuit but they're pretty spendy; a shite alternative would be a hot air night heater, as the chinese have started churning eberspacher copies out for about 15% of the cost of the real thing, but they do take up a lot of space and I'm not sure where you'd mount one on a C1.

If it's only the misting up that's a problem (I have the same with my diesel Volvo because it takes so long to get warm) then use some Autoglym glass polish on the inside of the windscreen to smooth out the surface and stop the water vapour having something to cling to.  You might need to reapply this every few months.

When you leave the house, take a small jug of warm water with you and pour it over the outside of the windscreen once you've started the car up.  Use the wipers to clear the water off the screen so it doesn't freeze but it should stay clear for long enough for the heater to kick in

Demisting/deicing is the biggest pain with a cold car - I can cope with having to wear a coat but having a windscreen that keeps steaming up again until the heaters blow hot is a pain.

Scraping ice off the inside pissed me off a bit yesterday.

When I had a fiat 126 I used to have an extension lead hooked up to a 240 V fan heater and I'd put it on before I made my breakfast. When it was time to go to work it was toasty warm for the first few miles.

If it’s constantly steamed up are you sure it’s not pissing water in somewhere?

I don’t have it yet but all cars do it when they’re stone cold and parked outside overnight, some are just worse than others.

Glass polish tip is good.

For windscreens, because I finish work at 5am it's best to chuck an old duvet cover on the windscreen, works a treat especially as my car barely gets warm before I've got home.

And for your person, whisky*

*I mean a Ginger tea

Demisting/deicing is the biggest pain with a cold car - I can cope with having to wear a coat but having a windscreen that keeps steaming up again until the heaters blow hot is a pain.

Have you tried opening the driver's window a bit, AC on and towards the windscreen? On another note, you don't get something similar to this?

Small petrol car should heat up pretty quickly on it's own unless the thermostat is borked. My 660cc kei used to get up to temp in less than a mile in the middle of winter.

I would have thought there was no real need for an additional heater in this country.

If condensation is an issue then try some silica type stuff in the car, this was recommended to me recently: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ThoMar-Air-Dry-Vanilla-Car-Dehumidifier-Demister-Clear-Windscreens-Anti-Mist/302549912238

Anyone used me of those DAB thungs that plugs into the fag lighter and then transmits to your fm radio? Any recommendations?

I tried a co-pilot one but the reception wasn't great, I also got a whine though it. It was just like the good old days when you didn't have a suppressor on the alternator.

I don't know if it was where I put the stick on ariel in the Saab, I thought later that the black bit behind the interior miiror might block the DAB signal. Or the tiny FM ariel at the back of the roof might have been a bit far from the unit in the fag lighter.

I think it depends where you live though.

• Like 1

I tried a co-pilot one but the reception wasn't great, I also got a whine though it. It was just like the good old days when you didn't have a suppressor on the alternator.

I don't know if it was where I put the stick on ariel in the Saab, I thought later that the black bit behind the interior miiror might block the DAB signal. Or the tiny FM ariel at the back of the roof might have been a bit far from the unit in the fag lighter.

I think it depends where you live though.

I did wonder if they were any good. There are some great reviews on.one but how many are genuine?

Anyone used me of those DAB thungs that plugs into the fag lighter and then transmits to your fm radio? Any recommendations?

Dollywobbler reviewed a NextBase one

• Like 1

I did wonder if they were any good. There are some great reviews on.one but how many are genuine?

I suspect a lot of my issues where down to using the FM transmitter bit. Most people who've tried them with aux-in seem to get better results.

I suspect a lot of my issues where down to using the FM transmitter bit. Most people who've tried them with aux-in seem to get better results.

sadly I would need to go down the FM route, I may have to look at other possibilities......

sadly I would need to go down the FM route, I may have to look at other possibilities......

I've just remembered my co-pilot is in the cupboard, it's even got a new stick on ariel as I sent it back once. They replaced it & this one was a lot better (the first one kept cutting out & the USB on the side didn't work).

I can bung it in the post if you want to try it, it cost me £40 so if you like it bung a few beer tokens over after you've tried it. I'll just have to find a jiffy bag for it.

• Like 1

I've just remembered my co-pilot is in the cupboard, it's even got a new stick on ariel as I sent it back once. They replaced it & this one was a lot better (the first one kept cutting out & the USB on the side didn't work).

I can bung it in the post if you want to try it, it cost me £40 so if you like it bung a few beer tokens over after you've tried it. I'll just have to find a jiffy bag for it.

Sounds perfect! I will pm you my details

Would I be mad to get a 2006 Audi A6 3.0 TDI auto ?

It's got 250000Km on it, cam belt was done 30000 ago.

Sat Nav and radio are dead.

I'm tempted but it's worryingly cheap, 2000 euro

• Like 1

3 litre A6 you say? Wcpgw? They are bargetastic and can* be reliable if looked after up to massive mileage but aren’t cheap if they go wrong. My FiL’s was a great car until massive gearbox problems killed it but he had his monies worth by then.

3.0 V6 Audi Diesels have 4 timing chains which can be a bit of a sod. (According to the internet.........)

Hmm, sellers mate said the belts (distribution en francais) had been done... could be porkies or just misinformed.

Think I'll go for a test drive anyway :)  If the ride rattles what's left of my teeth I'll stick with my XM

Would I be mad to get a 2006 Audi A6 3.0 TDI auto ?

It's got 250000Km on it, cam belt was done 30000 ago.

Sat Nav and radio are dead.

I'm tempted but it's worryingly cheap, 2000 euro

We have a thread for this you know.

Also, get it bought.

Re my post in the news thread. Is it likely that totally worn out spark plugs have damaged the ignition coils on the Honda Accord? EML on for multiple misfires.