What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I've done a few of these over the years, worst I think was leaving the Cote d'Azur at 10pm for ferry crossing at around 10am out of Calais, was pounding rain all the way, before the days of Sat Nav ended up completely lost somewhere around Dijon at about 2.30am..

Got home at around 5pm complerely knackered..

Also drove 7up in our C8 to the Andorran border non stop, took about 20hrs, thankfully that time I had someone to share the driving with...

Too old for that kind of shizzle now though..

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, warch said:

Jesus! Although at least you are at the right end of the country, we in the Shire have to travel at least an hour just to get to the nearest motorway. Or a road without grass growing down the middle of it.  

In an overloaded, shit 7.5 ton lorry, so shit it was getting overtaken by cyclists going up the Pyrenees, awake and working for 24 hours before even starting the long haul from Cherbourg, no sleep on the ferry either ??

3 hours ago, gm said:

I'd not trust then to support the weight of a pram, let alone working under a car on them! They make that contraption that @KruJoe and @explosive-cabbage lashed together to work on the Samara look like the engineering that went into the Humber Bridge!

^^ if they're meant to take that camper, I can see them flat packing themselves as soon as it gets on the horizontal sections - the only triangulation seems to be wee plates screwed onto the outer corners.

Verdict: have a camera ready.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Finally got the contracts to sign for the sale of my house from my solicitor this morning.

I am aware that buyer could still pull.out, but I feel much better now I have something. 

Spurred me on to emptying the final bits of rubbish from my kitchen and to wonder at the junk I have kept in the drawers (much of it for donkeys years). One more trip to the tip and that's everything sorted, and ready to go!

13 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

I've got a work trip abroad next week ?

Is it too ambitious to try and drive to Berlin in one hit? 863 miles from here ?

Heading back midweek with an empty van if anyone needs to import something cheaply. ?

Mmm not stopping in Amsterdam are you? ?

I was talking to my boss this morning checking how she's doing, as on top of everything else she has an ear infection. She had an doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon so had to drop her two young daughters up to her husband's workshop for him to look after while she went to the doctor.

She asked them later what they had done and found that they had been helping daddy with wires. Apparently her husband has been teaching them how to solder. One is 5 the other is 3. It made me smile as I can remember "helping" my father in the workshop when I was about the same age.

13 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Is it too ambitious to try and drive to Berlin in one hit? 863 miles from here ?

Heading back midweek with an empty van if anyone needs to import something cheaply. ?

I've done Naples to Tilburg, Approx 1000 miles, in a Bedford CF in one hit. 27 hours.

Also Dudley to Coimbra, 1400 miles, in a 305 van. 26 hours. Wouldn't do it now though.

20 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Funnily enough, I did 842 on Sunday in one go to get to work this week. Took around 14 hrs including gas and bio break stops. 
We finished work slightly early so will be driving 874 back tomorrow (different route as this is the third time and the same route gets damn boring). 
In the US it’s nothing. Around Europe and the UK it would take a braver man than me!

There’s something disheartening seeing Google Maps saying ‘In 389 miles, take the exit...’

49 minutes ago, meshking said:

874? That's lands end to John o'groats. What is it that makes it easier in the US? Less traffic, more cruise control usage?

I've done what I consider crazy mileage in the US, it is so much easier than the UK. 

Less pointless sections of 50mph for non existent road works. 

7 minutes ago, Borsuq said:

The clock in the Polonez tickles me. It's stupidly loud. Don't think I ever want to try sleeping in that car. :D

Reminds me of rollers, with the whole clock being the loudest thing in the car thing. :D

The speedo dial face is very VW Mk.2 Golf/Jetta

30 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The speedo dial face is very VW Mk.2 Golf/Jetta

Sign of the times I guess as that dash was introduced in 1993, although I wouldn't be surprised if designers were inspired by VWs.

Although I imagine VW at least managed to put their gauges in the right place. Polonez gauges are placed too low and the sunshade extends too far. Means taller drivers can't see the top part of the cluster. :D

23 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Finally got the contracts to sign for the sale of my house from my solicitor this morning.

I am aware that buyer could still pull.out, but I feel much better now I have something. 

Spurred me on to emptying the final bits of rubbish from my kitchen and to wonder at the junk I have kept in the drawers (much of it for donkeys years). One more trip to the tip and that's everything sorted, and ready to go!

Do not forget to pack a large box of mask too.

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/07/24/hundreds-of-mask-refuseniks-get-fined-in-four-days-in-just-one-part-of-spains-costa-blanca/

Made it home ready for the weekend. :)

Three ‘gas’ stops, two of which included drive ins and obviously didn’t eat that on the way (cos eating chicken nuggets while driving would be illegal). 

Even so, I couldn’t do it in the U.K. Today  I’ve literally driven for 100 miles and only seen a handful of cars - with the cruise set at exactly the (cough) legal limit. The roads are typically arrow straight and it’s only around cities that you tend to slow down. 

Running through barren 75mph areas helps the boring scenery fly by, though Iowa seemed to be corn, corn, corn, corn...

Got up at 4:00am and home for 8:00pm including an hour time change and getting out of the hotel. 

I would strongly suggest a sleep over as you go to Berlin. Driving on busy roads on the wrong side tired, sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

From the drive out there. 

E32894E6-0360-4FC0-B58E-D39425D6F982.thumb.jpeg.c866256e11c9884e9e0d65c00e85e1e8.jpegCDC47CBB-EAB4-4022-ABBB-09F8B97E9550.thumb.jpeg.2d5ed72ac9dbdf2876e2c4c6a202e16f.jpegEE4B9973-9FEB-457F-9D16-F34F7F2E7D83.thumb.jpeg.2a859b7e8ec60bc9802941e0b88e282e.jpeg9980BE2C-DF63-4BCB-AB0C-68AE2B616316.thumb.jpeg.0916f622e4ac040bd7700d874b7e0ac2.jpegA487149B-0FAF-4E06-B427-294EA7D11EA6.thumb.jpeg.23fda822fa53241dba92597210db7972.jpegDFD9AE73-A2CE-4F35-A3A1-F2A18D67C326.thumb.jpeg.c593d6bafe17f6cc51ff93d7ea25406a.jpeg0DD32E82-697B-433A-9272-384302421F85.thumb.jpeg.bc58b7513456f7cd23312d4ea7679cf2.jpeg

Most I've driven here in one day was 1029 miles. That was pretty brutal and by the end of it the Mountain Dew was doing the driving. 

It's possible because, as stated, the roads are wide and open, the limits aren't too stupid and only through Texas down here you catch the miles upon miles of 50-limit construction but generally there's few snarl-ups and there's hell of a lot less trouble with big trucks getting in the way or doing the 56⅔mph grand prix because they're not limited to significantly slower than the rest of the traffic on the highway. Quite often the independent artics are the fastest thing on the freeway on long haul sections in the middle of nowhere.

The traffic, in general, just flows.

Phil

Last night I went camping, and there's a nice pub (Royal Oak) a couple of miles away where I went for my tea and a couple or three pints. Lovely stuff. I'd booked in last because it's always very busy, even when operating at full capacity. They've had to rip out 20% of the tables on account of coronabukkake precautions.

7:45PM a group of about 9 or 10 people come in. Americans! Noisy! Stereotypical!

"We've got a table booked under XX name"

The waitress pokes at the computer a bit and you can see her face dropping. "We've got no bookings under that name or for this amount of people tonight, sorry"

"We have, we've even got a booking number!"

More computer poking. Reference number is not anywhere like the format this place uses.

"Here - Look, I've got the confirmation email"

They'd googled "Royal oak" and booked online to eat at the first one on the list, unaware that there are probably about 900000 Royal Oaks.

Much animated tooing and froing followed.

I can laugh now, but I did basically the same 15 years ago. Only when applying for halls of residence I realised that there are two universities in Bristol, and one is shit. Guess which one I'd applied for and been accepted to, thinking it was the good one? Jokes on me really, they ended up having to wait an hour for their dinner. I ended up going to Hull University.

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

Last night I went camping, and there's a nice pub (Royal Oak) a couple of miles away where I went for my tea and a couple or three pints. Lovely stuff. I'd booked in last because it's always very busy, even when operating at full capacity. They've had to rip out 20% of the tables on account of coronabukkake precautions.

7:45PM a group of about 9 or 10 people come in. Americans! Noisy! Stereotypical!

"We've got a table booked under XX name"

The waitress pokes at the computer a bit and you can see her face dropping. "We've got no bookings under that name or for this amount of people tonight, sorry"

"We have, we've even got a booking number!"

More computer poking. Reference number is not anywhere like the format this place uses.

"Here - Look, I've got the confirmation email"

They'd googled "Royal oak" and booked online to eat at the first one on the list, unaware that there are probably about 900000 Royal Oaks....

Dunno which one you were at but, being steroetypical Americans, they probably booked at one of the London ones....which probably has now recorded them as "no-shows"