What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Not auto related, but occasionally I'll go down a YouTube rabbit hole and want to end it all.

Currently, I'm on a 'prepper, survival' theme. (Normal go-bags or survival kits, fine, treat yourself to £500 of shite.)

Recently it seems to be all about, urban go-bags, the videos are 99.9% American and always start with "Martial law could come into affect at anytime, the economy is unstable and overseas threats are coming to attack every baby with a pipe bomb and to piss on the flag"

So of course we all need 'urban' backpacks to get you home or so you can survive 72 hours. Now, I live in an urban environment and I don't know if I'd need a Compass, a signal mirror or a sewing kit.

It's fascinating, but I'm not sure for all the right reasons.

Just back from Berlin. Had a brilliant time! Saw everything on my list barr the Trabi museum,  I like Trabis and have driven one, that was great fun. The Reichstag building was awesome.

Berlin was a wonderful place, very nice people, lovely and clean, only heard annoyed car horns on two occasions. Nice selection of food but not much traditional German stuff. Had a couple of currywursts instead.  The best one was in the food hall of the Mall of Berlin. I remembered enough German not to make a twat of myself too.

They had a Lidl which was bloody posh. I compared it to the one in Tottenham on the way home this evening. The one in Tottenham had a security guard on the door.

Sigh....... I'm back in London then.  Fuck.

49 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

Just back from Berlin. Had a brilliant time! Saw everything on my list barr the Trabi museum,  I like Trabis and have driven one, that was great fun. The Reichstag building was awesome.

Berlin was a wonderful place, very nice people, lovely and clean, only heard annoyed car horns on two occasions. Nice selection of food but not much traditional German stuff. Had a couple of currywursts instead.  The best one was in the food hall of the Mall of Berlin. I remembered enough German not to make a twat of myself too.

They had a Lidl which was bloody posh. I compared it to the one in Tottenham on the way home this evening. The one in Tottenham had a security guard on the door.

Sigh....... I'm back in London then.  Fuck.

Speaking  of Trabis, did you manage to visit Höhenschonhausen? I  think there's a Barkas displayed there

I've been house hunting recently and went to view a place a couple of weeks ago, it is in a good area and is obviously well looked after but the rooms all felt a bit small. I sort of mentally wrote it off but then had the brainwave of measuring the rooms of the flat I'm currently renting and comparing them to the house - it turns out the house is bigger but has so much furniture and clutter, it felt really cramped. spurred on by this, I went for a second viewing and paid a bit more attention - once the current owners take out their six giant wardrobes, two monster sofas, umpteen chests of drawers, book cases etc it'll do just grand. 

so I made a cheeky low offer, a bit of to-ing and fro-ing was done and they have accepted ! I'm buying a bloody house ! 

and the best bit - a decent sized garage with light and power - can't wait :)

it's off the market already, my mortgage application is in progress and I'm hoping to be in before Christmas 

7 hours ago, gm said:

I've been house hunting recently and went to view a place a couple of weeks ago, it is in a good area and is obviously well looked after but the rooms all felt a bit small. I sort of mentally wrote it off but then had the brainwave of measuring the rooms of the flat I'm currently renting and comparing them to the house - it turns out the house is bigger but has so much furniture and clutter, it felt really cramped. spurred on by this, I went for a second viewing and paid a bit more attention - once the current owners take out their six giant wardrobes, two monster sofas, umpteen chests of drawers, book cases etc it'll do just grand. 

so I made a cheeky low offer, a bit of to-ing and fro-ing was done and they have accepted ! I'm buying a bloody house ! 

and the best bit - a decent sized garage with light and power - can't wait :)

it's off the market already, my mortgage application is in progress and I'm hoping to be in before Christmas 

May I be a bit rude and ask what sort of percentage did you low ball by?  We are up that way a bit South of you looking at houses tomorrow and if we can low low ball people all the better. I am as they say a tight git. 

It was on at £135, I offered £129, they countered with £132 and we settled on £130. I think I did well but this was based purely on instinct. They were keen to sell as they have found a place they want down south and, as I sold my house in Scotland back in February, I am effectively a first time buyer again so can act fast. 

good luck with your house hunting !

Not really a grin because the below relates to two very nice people I know... But yesterday they picked up a 2016 Nissan Cashcow from a main dealer on some PCP scheme

Turns out its a complete pile with half a dozen things wrong with.  I'd be fckin fuming.  Their 2007 Civic wasn't big enough cos baby, so bought this cashcow with a list of things wrong with it.  What is required for having a kid these days, a shit load of stuff by the sound of it.  When me and my brother were very little the 1300 Dolomite was more than adequate but nowadays people seem to need something 4x4 or crossover to accomodate a very small human.

A grin because some of the things that fail to function on this 2016 jap bus work fine on my 20 year old £400 peice of british crap.

11 minutes ago, EssDeeWon said:

Not really a grin because the below relates to two very nice people I know... But yesterday they picked up a 2016 Nissan Cashcow from a main dealer on some PCP scheme

Turns out its a complete pile with half a dozen things wrong with.  I'd be fckin fuming.  Their 2007 Civic wasn't big enough cos baby, so bought this cashcow with a list of things wrong with it.  What is required for having a kid these days, a shit load of stuff by the sound of it.  When me and my brother were very little the 1300 Dolomite was more than adequate but nowadays people seem to need something 4x4 or crossover to accomodate a very small human.

A grin because some of the things that fail to function on this 2016 jap bus work fine on my 20 year old £400 peice of british crap.

When my sister and I were little a Citroen Dyane was perfectly adequate.

further to my house buying post earlier, I've been submitting info to the bank online :

3 months payslips - tick

passport - tick

driving license - tick

a pair of selfies taken from the front and side profile - wtf ?

seriously, they want you to take selfies and upload them as part of the official mortgage application process - what has the world come to ?

obviously, not being a teenager, this involved quite a bit of fannying about and the results are 'rather poor' but it's another box ticked.

and you have to submit a 'signature' using the mouse - what a load of shite that turned out to be too

still, better than enduring a trip to the branch in person :) 

@gm WTAF??????

Meanwhile, I've had father in law round for his regular weekly dinner. Since mother-in-law passed away he's become much more relaxed, less prone to point out if I've used a curse-word etc.. I relish the Friday evening meal we have with him now; as a family we can broach subjects that I never thought possible in the past. My father in law is a diamond geezer. win.

It was my parents and me in an Austin-Healey Sprite until I was 2

I got dumped behind the seats like the weekly shopping whenever going places

Better than going in the boot, I guess

After that they decided something with a rear seat would work so bought a '78 Fiesta off my uncle for cheap. Everybody thought they were scousers driving OHF 797S

They didn't even have rear seat belts

I'm still here. Somehow

Phil

2 hours ago, EssDeeWon said:

Irony is that they've actually downsized as the Civic boot is bigger at 485 litres Vs the Qashqai boot size of 430 litres. Tell them to chop it in and get a Mk9 Civic. 

On 9/18/2019 at 8:12 PM, hairnet said:

Couldn't see a thing and it was bad on the way down

IMG_20190918_123521.jpg

Snap!

EF24812C-20B5-4C97-8D4C-F06E7974C435.thumb.jpeg.6f73669ae2fe787a31bb3a1cc4fd68f6.jpeg

Been there a few times - I love the Blue Ridge Parkway.

First time I went there I was the only person in that car park when a proper biker gang turned up.  20-odd custom Harleys with chains, tats, colours, helmets with horns, the full Sons of Anarchy deal.

They pulled up in formation between me and my Ford Taurus, then got off their bikes in formation and walked right up to me, all spread out in a V-shape like migrating geese.

I was properly shitting myself at this point.

The leader looked me up and down, chewed a bit, reached into his jacket pocket and said...”D’ya mind taking our picture?”