The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 11/28/2021 at 10:14 AM, stuboy said:

I broke the autoshite rule... I spent more than £3.62..was in aldi and thought do these fuggers work, the galaxy is my 2nd motor so spends lot time parked up, and get steamed up so thought stop being a tight miser and get one... better work at £7.99...

Screenshot_20211128-081221_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Daddy wagon sitting about for 10 days, jump start and a good long drive, and this moisture trapping so far..

20211207_112417.jpg

VideoCapture_20211207-130842.jpg

4x new Toyos fitted to the Brokus. Well, nearly. To minimize cost I bought 4x 205 55 16 Toyos (new) from the bay, £175 delivered. Then I got my tame wheel repair man to put them on. The downside is that I had to drive the wheels there and back and take the wheels off the car and refit myself. Also I've now got four scrap tyres in the garden waiting* for me to do something about them. Anyway he wanted £20 to do all four, so that's less than £50/corner for four new, decent tyres which I reckon is alright. Got to be better than the motley collection of ditchfinders that came off. 

Hopefully I've got a few days before Mrs Grogee notices them and tells me to get rid. 

Springfield_Tire_Yard.JPG.jpg

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Glad to see the DVLA's mathematical skills haven't been affected by lockdown.

Funny, the dvla have screwed up my vehicle ownership. 

I sold my Passat, it was transferred online. 

Next thing the new owner is getting tax dd for her old car,  I'm getting tax dd for the Passat, I'm not getting charged for my new car. 

That works out even if it's wrong, at least for me,  until I got a parking fine that the new owner did. 

I've appealed, and I told the dvla, awaiting response. It's been thee weeks...

20 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Next thing the new owner is getting tax dd for her old car,  I'm getting tax dd for the Passat, I'm not getting charged for my new car. 

That works out even if it's wrong, at least for me,  until I got a parking fine that the new owner did. 

I SORNed my V90 in August. The direct debits came out for a further 3 months. I called up the DVLA, talked to someone who blamed an absolutely implausible system error and she sorted out a mailed cheque refund within a rapid 6 weeks. 

Bunch of donkeys

2 hours ago, Cord Fourteener said:

They carried on taking the direct debit for the Dodge Caliber tax for two months after I'd sold it, despite having sent me the confirmation that I was no longer the registered keeper.  :roll:

3 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

I was wasting time on YT the other day and one person experiencing  a Runaway Engine used a Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguisher. Another used some sort of textile thing and stuffed it into the turbo. 

Fuck getting anywhere near any of that! 

😱

Those are two other options, but textiles can get sucked into the engine and the CO2 from an extinguisher can shock cool the engine and cause things to crack.  Not an issue if the engine is being scrapped anyway obvs.

Walked out of a busy shift at work because the shift manager was shouting at me for not knowing how to do things I hadn't been trained how to do. This comes less than 48 hours after talking with the store manager about how my disabilities affect me in the workplace. I didn't just up and go, I told them if they kept shouting I'd leave, they kept shouting.

Fast food can do one.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Those are two other options, but textiles can get sucked into the engine and the CO2 from an extinguisher can shock cool the engine and cause things to crack.  Not an issue if the engine is being scrapped anyway obvs.

I've always know the go-to runaway prevention kit is to have a Yellow Pages or a slab of thick plywood handy. There's a video of someone's turbocharged Detroit diesel running away and the piece of plastic he used to try block the turbo was sucked in and ruined the turbo blades. At least that item's replaceable I suppose.

The chap I bought my Volvo off told me when I was viewing it that it had most of the options except for Cruise control. Hence I never even looked for it.

Yesterday whilst groping in the dark for the wash wipe (on the wrong side… too many cars it gets confusing) I found a switch which felt very much like a cruise control switch. Sure enough it is… and it works…. Bonus! 

Have a bonus black and white Volvo photo in celebration! 
13F49493-6713-49BA-ABEB-46C6D386069C.jpeg

8 minutes ago, reb said:

Walked out of a busy shift at work because the shift manager was shouting at me for not knowing how to do things I hadn't been trained how to do. This comes less than 48 hours after talking with the store manager about how my disabilities affect me in the workplace. I didn't just up and go, I told them if they kept shouting I'd leave, they kept shouting.

Fast food can do one.

Can probably rule out production and most other "low skill" jobs. Being treat like dirt comes with the territory. 

1 minute ago, captain_70s said:

You jammy bastard. The only thing I really wish my 740 had is cruise, although I suspect it'd make the already bad fuel economy even worse.

I find in my 850 cruise actually helps the fuel economy. I've had 50+mpg out of it with the cruise set at 55 on the dual carriageway.

4 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

Can probably rule out production and most other "low skill" jobs. Being treat like dirt comes with the territory. 

This is just a stop gap until I finish some training for higher paid/skilled jobs. I don't really need it to be honest, so I was very comfortable walking out. It was either that or say/do something that would definitely lose me the job.

9 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Cruise is one of my favourite features if I’m going long distance. Adaptive cruise on the wife’s modern… now that’s weird. 

It’s on the new Tipo. I really like it . The car will brake and accelerate on its own as traffic gets heavier- you set the safe distance you want to maintain from the car in front and it keeps to this, and if someone pulls into the space the car automatically brakes to maintain the gap.  Lane departure warning I don’t like though- feels like the car is fighting me for control.

Chevronics gave me a ring and a rundown of work they've already done to it-

• Gone through and reconditioned the front height corrector and selecter linkages and found it was out of whack, fouling the steering rack, hence why sometimes it would clunk and I couldn't select full height. They've also taken the centre console out and refreshed the height corrector lever linkage to make it operate more like it should.
  • The mystery missing oil is not down to valvestem seals, but an external leak. They'll investigate the rocker cover gasket and replace the failed distributor O ring while they're at it.
  • Nothing on the splitting gearbox thing, although it's been said the locating dowels may be missing.
  • Rear spheres are tired and will be replaced, enabling them to accurately set the ride height once and for all.
  • My homemade crankcase breather tube will be replaced with the correct article.

7 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

It’s on the new Tipo. I really like it . The car will brake and accelerate on its own as traffic gets heavier- you set the safe distance you want to maintain from the car in front and it keeps to this, and if someone pulls into the space the car automatically brakes to maintain the gap.  Lane departure warning I don’t like though- feels like the car is fighting me for control.

I turned lane departure off before I drove it… Adaptive cruise also slows down for corners on ours… that’s the odd bit. Once you’ve got used to it it’s quite good. 

11 minutes ago, brownnova said:

I turned lane departure off before I drove it… Adaptive cruise also slows down for corners on ours… that’s the odd bit. Once you’ve got used to it it’s quite good. 

I’ve only used it on the motorway so no corners really.  I mentioned to @Six-cylinderon Sunday about the steering wheel alert too, that shouts to put your hands on the wheel. Can’t seem to turn this off, and I have raynaud’s disease, So can have very little temperature in my fingers which seems to set it off.

48 minutes ago, reb said:

Fast food can do one.

Better off out of places you don't get on with. 

Then you'll be a step closer to finding something you can get on with. 

On 12/6/2021 at 4:11 PM, NorthernMonkey said:

What’s coming back if you scan the airbag faults? These are prone for snapping the wires to the side airbag in the seats where the backrest joins the base.

On the original air bag module:

111 - Airbag Missing Multiplexed Information - Stored

I've tried 2x other modules and the fault remains, although I don't have access to a scanner again until next week so the fault could have changed I guess with new module

59 minutes ago, reb said:

Fast food can do one.

No one deserves to be shouted at.

Not sure if you're able to speak to the folk higher up the food chain, but I'd try make sure your side is heard (before it gets turned around 'He refused to do his work and walked out' . 

Your job description or contract should* have what roles / tasks they expect you to do, read this carefully and highlight any areas you think you need training in. I guess you don't have any regular reviews ?