The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I worked for vauxhall for 13 years now, the 1.9 150bhp is a great engine, it's just the shit that's bolted to it. I love the V6 diesel, only problems we had with them was fuel pumps, which are quite a job to change, but later in the engines life there was a TSB fetched out by vauxhall to just change the solenoids on the back of the pump, which you can do without taking the pump off . Nice vectra estate with v6 mated with auto, flying machine. 

@lanciamatt if you know the 1.9 150 engines well perhaps you can give a bit of advice, low power, code P0234, fitted in Saab 9-3, what are the most likely failure points, I'm guessing a hole in an intercooler pipe somewhere but any guidance to a quick fix welcome!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Had two nice letters from the DVLA while I was on holiday, informing me I've not tax'd two of my cars...

The Morris (Not taxed since May...) and the Golf (1st September) so put them both on SORN, then seen the nice wording when putting them on SORN saying '"DVLA's enforcement section may be in touch about the gab in tax".

Considering how one of them is due the DVLA £0, and the other is just under 2 months out, How fucked am I? ? 

And yes, none of them have been on the road while un-taxed. 

Just now, 17-Coffees said:

Had two nice letters from the DVLA while I was on holiday, informing me I've not tax'd two of my cars...

The Morris (Not taxed since May...) and the Golf (1st September) so put them both on SORN, then seen the nice wording when putting them on SORN saying '"DVLA's enforcement section may be in touch about the gab in tax".

Considering how one of them is due the DVLA £0, and the other is just under 2 months out, How fucked am I? ? 

You should be ok, worst case, they'll probably want the 2 months tax backdated.

The big problems only really start if your car gets spotted/reported parked on the road whilst untaxed and you get clamped.

On 10/26/2019 at 7:57 PM, Saabnut said:

As I entered the town I passed 4 red/white UK registered 2CVs all wearing Deux Cheveaux Challenge plates. Despite me being in a RHD UK registered car, and flashing the headlights, all 4 completely ignored my waves,

le snobs de paris

9 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

They'll be around to crush them both on your drive.  Then the TV licence people will come to check that you have the correct permissions and the RSPCA will be checking later to check all.pets for chips. The Social workers will be watching, and HMRC are currently checking your eBay purchases and sales. 

Once the authorities notice you that's it....

On the bright side you'll be getting a free smoke alarm and advice about loosing weight. 

On 10/24/2019 at 3:17 PM, Andyrew said:

Hmmm I'd say "all new" is a bit far, reskin-d favorit really, if you take the top of the dash it's just a favorit dash under a cover. 

Yes, it always annoys me (I get annoyed too easily, I'll admit) when I see adverts saying the Felicia is just a Polo underneath, with the vendor trying to say this is a good thing. You don't have to look very far to see it's a Favorit. Though having both an early Fav and late Felly it's surprising how different they feel considering the similarities. 

On 10/20/2019 at 12:29 PM, Spurious said:

Because I'm easily distracted, I bought something this morning. It's made in a country that no longer exists.

Can't pick it up for about 10 days or so. Sadly.

But there shall be a collection thread soon. Oh yes.

It's on. I'm very giddy. 

Received goodies in the post/DPD, much surprised as the Gummi Plege was only ordered yesterday and here today which is impressive, but not as impressive as... the boot spoiler! All the way from Taiwan since last Friday, to be honest, much better product than I expected for £88. Thought it would be some cheap, flappy plastic thing but instead, it's a quality moulded item, beautifully painted the correct colour and on a quick hold up to the car, seems to fit properly as well.

Pretty good.

Shame that while I was checking for fit, the heavens opened and it hasn't stopped raining since. Typical...

You know how you sometimes see a car fitted with wheels from another manufacturer and think "Oh, didn't realise those wheels fitted those cars..."

(No? Just me?)

I saw possibly the weirdest combination of car & wheels earlier. Unfortunately no picture as I was driving.

An Audi A2 on Rover 75 alloys. :D

You know how you sometimes see a car fitted with wheels from another manufacturer and think "Oh, didn't realise those wheels fitted those cars..."

(No? Just me?)

I saw possibly the weirdest combination of car & wheels earlier. Unfortunately no picture as I was driving.

An Audi A2 on Rover 75 alloys.

I like seeing Renault Trafics wearing BMW wheels, and of course there's the Citroen Synergie on here with Alfa wheels that looks great.

Helped niece’s husband fix his car today705F0533-3BF2-43FE-846A-CF76C90A0CF3.thumb.jpeg.e8914adfd585c4a7e041fb8f5803f107.jpeg

exhaust manifold sheared a stud. Chased out the thread with a sacrificial bolt and used a pair of them to hold the downpipe on.

3F7A71C8-77BA-4209-825A-159DC4E4EE9F.thumb.jpeg.9b40bb6b247b67ea53918fd2ce1732ef.jpeg

Has to go in here somehow.

0CA88EE9-D6BB-4E20-A5CF-9238D13FF253.thumb.jpeg.db6b5ee51e833f0d7b368b813e9c42e1.jpeg

about 20 mins later it’s in, needed a little tweaking once all assembled but not bad for a roadside repair in the dark. No chuffing or blowing, but may need a retorque in a day or so.

nice to work on a longitudinal 6-pot, first time in ages

On 10/28/2019 at 9:25 PM, Floatylight said:

@lanciamatt if you know the 1.9 150 engines well perhaps you can give a bit of advice, low power, code P0234, fitted in Saab 9-3, what are the most likely failure points, I'm guessing a hole in an intercooler pipe somewhere but any guidance to a quick fix welcome!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

What's the code description, check the vac pipes, make sure waist gate not siezed. I'll check tomorrow for code description if you don't have it.

Took Imp Jr to the National Media Museum in Bratfurt innit yesterday. Its quite distressing to realise that there is a museum dedicated to things made within your own lifetime. 

IMG_20191028_124109886.thumb.jpg.099df58b0ed560301f55fead441bb11b.jpg1165182849_AGallery_50.thumb.jpg.2b689b31462f42553361df04b3a2b4b5.jpg

I'm officially old ain't I? 

Gave some pointers to some kids on how to play Goldeneye though. I ain't irrelevant yet. 

2 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Took Imp Jr to the National Media Museum in Bratfurt innit yesterday. Its quite distressing to realise that there is a museum dedicated to things made within your own lifetime. 

IMG_20191028_124109886.thumb.jpg.099df58b0ed560301f55fead441bb11b.jpg1165182849_AGallery_50.thumb.jpg.2b689b31462f42553361df04b3a2b4b5.jpg

I'm officially old ain't I? 

Gave some pointers to some kids on how to play Goldeneye though. I ain't irrelevant yet. 

I still have 5.25" floppy disks for the BBC "B" in a drawer. They've got things like "Chuckie Egg" on them. No idea if they still work....

On 10/27/2019 at 7:57 AM, Saabnut said:

Went to pick up my friends from the railway station at Chateau du Loir. As I entered the town I passed 4 red/white UK registered 2CVs all wearing Deux Cheveaux Challenge plates. Despite me being in a RHD UK registered car, and flashing the headlights, all 4 completely ignored my waves, miserable barstewards.

Maybe because they're all non-2CVers, so aren't used to actually being seen in a positive light!

16 hours ago, Supernaut said:

(No? Just me?)

An Audi A2 on Rover 75 alloys. :D

Someone posted a good one on here last year, possibly in the lazy spotters thread. A late nineties Celica coupe on Rover P5 Rostyles which suited it surprisingly well 

1 minute ago, brownnova said:

Done 561 miles in the 9000 since Saturday morning, off to visit relatives and then for an escape to York for a night. It’s such a capable old bus. Even did about 35 MPG! 

So why am I beginning to get itchy feet....  

Simple, no joy is to be found in competency. "Completing journies with monotonous regularity makes brownnova a dull boy"

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I still have a BBC Micro in the cupboard under the stairs that my dad bought in about 1986.  I got it out a couple of years ago to try it out - the computer switched on OK but the monitor started smoking, so I turned it off sharpish and put it all away again.

I used to teach word processing and spreadsheets on them over 30 years ago. We then used them in A level electronics to run Lego buggies programmed in 6502. Good old days.

sparked one up a few years ago for a few pupils after vacuuming and blowing all the dust off the inside. Booted up but after 15 mins went bang. Best computers ever!

Another fail for the Pajero Jnr. did a whole retest and the rust repair (bodge) i did was not failed. Emissions were close last time (i say close, they were on the limit) much more comfortable this time, i had run a bottle of Redex on the last tank and left her running outside the test centre until called. So thats all good.

So this time, i had stupidly never changed the bulb i think is causing a poor earth in the back, with lights on it triggers the abs light to come on and knocks out the brake light. plus there is a different in brightness from left to right. so the hope is its just a pair of bulbs for the rear to sort that. otherwise i have some electrical work to do.

Other fail was the oil leak. I was under it yesterday and mopped up all i could but i felt that the rate of dripping had increased. So the guy said he thought i was loosing a bit much. Just visuals and no retest required so pretty happy with that. Will do the bulbs shortly and then the detective work on the oil lose will begin.

Happy enough with that.

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

Done 561 miles in the 9000 since Saturday morning, off to visit relatives and then for an escape to York for a night. It’s such a capable old bus. Even did about 35 MPG! 

So why am I beginning to get itchy feet....  

I used to get this feeling a LOT with my Avensis.  It was only ever bought as a 12 month Bangernomics experiment.  6 years later, and 155,000 further miles, it's still here.  

It can take a long arse time to bond with a car, and I've found a lot is connected to the memories you make WITH the car.  The old thing has taken me 500 miles in a day, taken children to hospital, brought them home again, had a bath strapped to the roof before I had a trailer, and generally been a member of the family. 

It's terminally dull, but remain it must.

I've found the solution is to just buy more old shit.