The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 minute ago, brownnova said:

Done 561 miles in the 9000 since Saturday morning, off to visit relatives and then for an escape to York for a night. It’s such a capable old bus. Even did about 35 MPG! 

So why am I beginning to get itchy feet....  

Simple, no joy is to be found in competency. "Completing journies with monotonous regularity makes brownnova a dull boy"

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I still have a BBC Micro in the cupboard under the stairs that my dad bought in about 1986.  I got it out a couple of years ago to try it out - the computer switched on OK but the monitor started smoking, so I turned it off sharpish and put it all away again.

I used to teach word processing and spreadsheets on them over 30 years ago. We then used them in A level electronics to run Lego buggies programmed in 6502. Good old days.

sparked one up a few years ago for a few pupils after vacuuming and blowing all the dust off the inside. Booted up but after 15 mins went bang. Best computers ever!

Another fail for the Pajero Jnr. did a whole retest and the rust repair (bodge) i did was not failed. Emissions were close last time (i say close, they were on the limit) much more comfortable this time, i had run a bottle of Redex on the last tank and left her running outside the test centre until called. So thats all good.

So this time, i had stupidly never changed the bulb i think is causing a poor earth in the back, with lights on it triggers the abs light to come on and knocks out the brake light. plus there is a different in brightness from left to right. so the hope is its just a pair of bulbs for the rear to sort that. otherwise i have some electrical work to do.

Other fail was the oil leak. I was under it yesterday and mopped up all i could but i felt that the rate of dripping had increased. So the guy said he thought i was loosing a bit much. Just visuals and no retest required so pretty happy with that. Will do the bulbs shortly and then the detective work on the oil lose will begin.

Happy enough with that.

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

Done 561 miles in the 9000 since Saturday morning, off to visit relatives and then for an escape to York for a night. It’s such a capable old bus. Even did about 35 MPG! 

So why am I beginning to get itchy feet....  

I used to get this feeling a LOT with my Avensis.  It was only ever bought as a 12 month Bangernomics experiment.  6 years later, and 155,000 further miles, it's still here.  

It can take a long arse time to bond with a car, and I've found a lot is connected to the memories you make WITH the car.  The old thing has taken me 500 miles in a day, taken children to hospital, brought them home again, had a bath strapped to the roof before I had a trailer, and generally been a member of the family. 

It's terminally dull, but remain it must.

I've found the solution is to just buy more old shit.

3 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I used to get this feeling a LOT with my Avensis.  It was only ever bought as a 12 month Bangernomics experiment.  6 years later, and 155,000 further miles, it's still here.  

It can take a long arse time to bond with a car, and I've found a lot is connected to the memories you make WITH the car.  The old thing has taken me 500 miles in a day, taken children to hospital, brought them home again, had a bath strapped to the roof before I had a trailer, and generally been a member of the family. 

It's terminally dull, but remain it must.

I've found the solution is to just buy more old shit.

My record with the Focus is just over 600 miles in 2 days, its done 16000 miles now in just over a year. 

"My record with the Focus is just over 600 miles in 2 days, its done 16000 miles now in just over a year.  "

I did London and back from Formby . 220 or so miles each way  in a day ....   twice  in the  week ,     and it did high 40s to the gallon petrol  . almost 1/2 a tank each way .

it was the day the car paid for itself compared to using trains and taxi's to get to a town near Heathrow .

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I still have a BBC Micro in the cupboard under the stairs that my dad bought in about 1986.  I got it out a couple of years ago to try it out - the computer switched on OK but the monitor started smoking, so I turned it off sharpish and put it all away again.

Bit flash, I only had an Acorn Electron. Sold it on the bay a few years ago - went to Germany I believe! There are online emulators I believe...

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Normally the Evox Rifa caps in the power supply. Should work without changing them 

27 minutes ago, ShiteRider said:

Might be going here saturday as its just up the road. Some interesting stuff.  White stag and 750 hartge are both winking at me...

https://bidonline.ncmauctions.co.uk/auctions/7248/ncm-au10227?page=2&pageSize=60

Someone clearly liked his E24s.

The Ro80s look useful (one is only fit for spares, though). Phil Blake is going to be bidding for the better one, to add to the 20-odd he already has....

12 hours ago, wuvvum said:

They should be able to connect to any oldish TV with a BNC connection. I spent some time working on getting some old ones going in 2011ish. The only issues they had when recommissioned were dead power supplies, either dry joints or dead caps, easily fixed. 

1 hour ago, ShiteRider said:

Might be going here saturday as its just up the road. Some interesting stuff.  White stag and 750 hartge are both winking at me...

https://bidonline.ncmauctions.co.uk/auctions/7248/ncm-au10227?page=2&pageSize=60

Be sure to check the small print,or ring the auction house as allegedly very little has any documentation, the number plates on the vehicle may not the right one,and a lot have seemingly been declared as scrap

I went out to tackle the rear lights here is the issue i have if anyone has come across it before :

two new bulbs for the rear taillight/brake light - twin filament things.

SO with now lights on the brake lights work, nearside is slightly dimmer.

With lights on, only one side brake light works, nearside does not work.

Have i a grounding issue or a power issue or something?

thanks in advance

First swop the bulbs over. If changes side, bad bulb.

If still the same, you need a continuity tester. Take non working bulb out.

Test non working side with tester one side on terminal other to a known good earth.

Can also run a spare earth wire from a known good earth to the bulb holder.

What vehicle is it?

1 hour ago, Asimo said:

Almost certainly a poor earth. Some cars have just the one earth for both rear lights with an earth wire from one side to the other.

was out there earlier and gave a quick fiddle with it trying various bulbs and generally yanking with it, it did work then for a short time, so id the earth wire might need re-seating.

thanks all

Not sure if you can tell from these pics but i took off the timing belt cover and im fairly sure the oil leak is coming from the camshaft seal behind the timing gear sprocket. Its the highest of the points above which is clean and below is oily. So i think new seal, get it top dead centre off with the gear and belt cabel tie them in their correct spot to keep it in sync and replace the seal.

Thats my take on it anyway

20191031_120447.jpg

20191031_115940.jpg

Be sure to check the small print,or ring the auction house as allegedly very little has any documentation, the number plates on the vehicle may not the right one,and a lot have seemingly been declared as scrap
If anyone does go could they have a look over the 2CV for Smoll FL? He's got cash in the bank and an itchy trigger finger... (From the pics I've seen a lot worse on eBay)

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Done a collection today.  No pez shot as it still had half a tank.

20191031_173638.thumb.jpg.0bf62a599851289cd3d7d69e6249d28a.jpg

I had no intention of buying it as my watch list has other treasures I want to bid on,  but L@@K.

20191031_154229.thumb.jpg.94c8e54519693330cc9006c8b8045ebc.jpg

It absolutely flies.  I'd say it's one of the best engines I've ever encountered.  Plus it makes a lovely sound and is audible pretty much all the time, unlike some cars where the lack of song can be disappointing.

Expect a roffle thread very soon though, tomorrow probably, as like I say my mind is really focused elsewhere.  As quick thrills go it's immense.  But it's still a gooner so could implode at any moment.  Bramz gave me the heads up on it, so he's the one to blame!  Nothing gets past his shite scanner.