The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I should do a thread about my series 2A 109. I've had it a few years and rebuilt the chassis when I got it.

It runs an old Perkins four 203, probably from a forklift. When I brought it out of its shed recently, it was pressurising the head and spewing a lot of oil out the filler cap. It was so bad I was worried it was going to start running on its sump oil.

So I called in the A Team

attachicon.gif20180526_124625.jpg

This rag bag bunch of renegade is led by Jim, age 87, retired mechanic. Youngest is Jim aged 65, retired farmer. 

They're not all called Jim. There's Alex, 77, retired gamekeeper and Nick, 67, retired Art teacher.

Don't mess with the A Team.

attachicon.gif20180526_114533.jpg

We had to drop the engine to make room for the head to clear the bulkhead. 

attachicon.gif20180526_124630.jpg

There were lots of complications, but each one was summarily dealt with.

Every piston had at least the top ring broken.

attachicon.gif20180526_173452.jpg

I'm going to order new shells for the big ends, then we will reassemble the team and reassemble the perky.

The team's wheels.

attachicon.gif20180526_132058.jpg

Liking that last pic, in particular.   What a lovely part of the world/time.   I bet that shorty smells nice inside that canvas top, too.

further mini developments....

cleaned off the old gasket and put the speedo drive back onto the gearbox

post-18270-0-82433200-1527450931_thumb.jpg

and got the n/s engine mount back on

post-18270-0-02626000-1527450947_thumb.jpg

which took an amount of pulling and shoveing the engine, some swearing, jimming with a screwdriver, some more swearing, and eventually its back where it should be

next the new petrol pump and new fuel lines before putting the tappet chest cover and breather back on, this too required some colourful language, stomping of feet, a fag break, some more swearing and by some good luck we got it bolted back on

post-18270-0-34526100-1527450962_thumb.jpg

i was pretty close to a full on sense of humour bypass at thi point

post-18270-0-43182400-1527450974_thumb.jpg

with kerry asking "is that going to help?" when the tools and swears started to fly.

no,

no THAT wouldn't help, but me having a strop, well it musta done cos i got the thing back onto the engine..... i only hope that once we get to use the car, it isn't leaking!

we had been toying with the thought of putting a proper cast manifold on, and o/e peashooter exhaust. that we decided against, as it wold have been yet more things to take off and more crawlling about underneath the car. i had hoped that the car would be back in service for the bank holiday.

post-18270-0-96916300-1527451013_thumb.jpg

the radiator got a damn good wash out

post-18270-0-58994700-1527451039_thumb.jpg

and then back on with the carb and inlet manifold, here is where we cocked up. i bollocked the throttle cable while trying to pull it through the mounting hole in the mounting plate thing. shit. shit shit shit!! we need anew one, and minispares is closed till tuesday morning. we also need a new choke cable, as the current one as just that bit too short, like literally millimeters too short!! so thats why the car always seemed to be runnong on the choke even when it was pushed fully in.  because it was!

post-18270-0-06131900-1527451052_thumb.jpg

so, inspite of that we got the car back together, and tried to start it. no, nothing, not even a cough or slutter..... oh bloody hell, now what.... then we remembered, the guy from the RAC had put a pipe clamp into the fuel line just outta the tank, and it was still there! take that off, and then with me working the throttle on the carb, the black mini bust back into life. 

post-18270-0-02722400-1527451067_thumb.jpg

now ok, firt time wasnt perfect, as the fan blades were catching on the radiator fins, so we had to undo that and give it a wee tweek, but the second time we started it, it ran just fine! goody-gumdrops....

so, grill back on, and kerry decided to giv it a clean-up, as the wings and bonnet were now covered in greasy finger-prints.

post-18270-0-04668300-1527451084_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-46058700-1527451102_thumb.jpg

in other mini-news, the orange one has passed the MOT without issue, with even the emmissions were bob on. we have put a new set of tyres on, the 10 year old continentals were bloody jiggered, but with that car using an odd sized wheel (175/50/13's) the only tyres we could get from our local tyre place were nankings. and even them had to be ordered in a couple of days before hand! but at least that car is legal for another year!"

now to change the blown back brake light on the rover, its the side which we siliconed the light cluster back on to the  car a couple of years ago....oops!!

MM, that little mini deserves its own thread, if only because of the pain it puts you both through! Top stuff. How would a short choke cable have been fitted (might be stupid question)?

Re mini short choke cable - I don't know the cable in question, never having had a mini to work on, but if this is bike brake cable technology - isn't the inner too short the same as the outer being too long? I.e. if you cut a bit off the outer, you get the same result as a longer inner?

Just a thought

What’s the newest normal car that will go on a classic policy?

My R reg 216 cab went on one but presumably because it’s a cabriolet

205? Mk2 golf?

Cooking models, not fast ones.

Edit - I now see this isn’t the question thread. Meh.

To answer the question anyway, Rover 75.

MM, that little mini deserves its own thread, if only because of the pain it puts you both through! Top stuff. How would a short choke cable have been fitted (might be stupid question)?

i dunno how the short choke cable got fitted, magic i suspect!

or, more likely the p.o. fastened the choke cable onto the carb before putting the carb onto the manifold? 

how he managed it, well it beats me, cos we couldn't get it back on properly!

Re mini short choke cable - I don't know the cable in question, never having had a mini to work on, but if this is bike brake cable technology - isn't the inner too short the same as the outer being too long? I.e. if you cut a bit off the outer, you get the same result as a longer inner?

Just a thought

Exactly that.  This could also save the buggered throttle cable if there is enough slack in its routing - cut a few inches off the outer and snip off the mangled end of the inner.

Just a thought

now that is a thought..... the outer sleeve on the choke cabe does indeed look like it has been cut off at somepoint. i think we will try that next time we go and play cars.

thanks that man!

Guest Hooli

Bloody perfect day up here. Been out to Inveraray, nearly Fort William, Glen Coe, green welly and back to Bute.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Brilliant storm in Stratford at some point in the early hours of this morning, almost permanent thunder and lightning, would have got up and gone out, but I was just so sleepy I couldn't keep eyes open.

There was apparently a heck of a storm in Birmingham (where I'm currently staying) in the early hours of this morning, but I slept through it.

A fine car based day was had.

First of all, I went through to the Scottish All Rover Rally which took place at Hopetoun House near the Forth Bridges. There was also some sort of horse bothering taking place in the grounds at the same time, which made for an interesting morning. It was pretty well attended, shame it was a bit cloudy, breezy and cold in the East, in stark contrast to when I left home.

Some splendid cars on display, some shite, some absolutely not. My Rover made a friend, an immaculate, low mileage 213 SE. I was also particularly taken by this Blue Metropolitan, a curious beastie. I didn't take many photos, not sure why not, but here are a couple. Apologies for the frankly, pish quality of the photos, my phone's camera was in some hideous HDR mode.

Chatted with the owner of the Metropolitan for a wee while, not a car I've ever seen or read into before but it's quite an interesting story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Metropolitan

IMG_20180527_131245.jpg

IMG_20180527_134146.jpg

It became apparent Rover McRoverface was not going to win any rosettes, I'm not sure if it was the one rear mudguard I had attempted (and failed) to drill out yesterday, the rusted arches, many dents or missing trim pieces.

We headed home in the early afternoon and Sausage Rolls were had from Greggs and I had a snooze. Wishing to take advantage of the Scottish Summer (it usually only lasts about a week) and bright nights I set of on a spur of the moment run tonight. I racked up 82 miles, from Cumbernauld, up to Callander and then over the A821 road to Aberfoyle before heading home through Lennoxtown etc. The A821 section is pretty spectacular in a few sections and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

IMG_20180527_205504.jpg

IMG_20180527_205535.jpg

IMG_20180527_205603.jpg

On the way back, I think I've just clicked onto 2000 miles in the Rover since I got it on the 31st of March. Never expected to like it as much as I do.

Already sorted 2 niggles. The missing trip reset button was bent up into the top cowling and I managed to unscrew and release it. Now I have a working trip reset! Also liberated the passenger door vent and it blows strong! It's the little victories. Next up, sort the weird clonk on the steering wheel. I feel dead cool in this car.

I'm annoyed at myself for the trip button, I won't lie. I'm very much of the 'have a go' mentality but having come out of a Volvo 740 and knowing how often they killed speedos I didn't really want to touch it!

Speaking of which I passed by an F-reg burgundy 740GLE on the M60 on my way down.

That's the first 700 I've seen in the wild since I got mine last August.

Went to a local car show-cum-autojumble today - needed a break from chod fettling tbh.  Met up with a mate who was there picking up a load of bits for his (formerly my) MG BGT.

Eclectic selection of cars - the usual shiny Triumphs and twat look Dubs but there were a few interesting specimens in amongst them:

Sidecar made out of a chopped-down Robin Reliant Reliant Robin:

post-190-0-07166200-1527461698_thumb.jpg

Shonky Edsel - this was in the car park rather than the show itself:

post-190-0-16409500-1527461748_thumb.jpg

Tidy little HA:

post-190-0-17203600-1527461795_thumb.jpg

Rambler:

post-190-0-63181200-1527461864_thumb.jpg

Om nom nom

post-190-0-08473700-1527461921_thumb.jpg

This was both shit and brilliant at the same time - hideously ugly but really well made.  It was a one-off conversion made by the current owner's dad.

post-190-0-66425800-1527461934_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-46632500-1527462015_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-85360700-1527461967_thumb.jpg

Any interest here in a 2007 '57' plate Honda Jazz, light blue colour, circa. 54k miles in fair condition? My brother will be selling soon I think, has replaced it with a Focus ST on one of those dreadful PCP schemes.

Possibly, looking for a Jazz at the moment. Have any more details?