so... did anyone see that car thing on channel 5?

michael1703

Since when to you inspect a potential restoration project without at least checking the floor???? On at least sticking your head under the car and having a tap at the sills etc.??? How not to buy and restore a car i think this programme should be called. How come the so called valuer is the same chappy both side of the Atlantic???? Surley there was a valuer on the Canadian side of the pond??? I' d my money on there being two cars again. Going by the way the shots were cut and from what you could see of the front scuttle and dash and the general underside of the car before and after, i doubt they could have done all they said they did in the time scale. A non matching numbers Pony car is worth less than a matching numbers one. Why did he not try putting Diesal down the bores of the supposadly seized engine and leave for a day or so. At least overnight? I wonder where the car is if it being offered for sale.Presumably it is this side of the pond. If they had done it in Red or Black the car would have looked better or even HIghland Green. Does make me wonder how they are going to do the Mini. How big a disaster that will be???.

Oh have a look at this from AUTOCAR:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anything-goes/car-tv-rubbish

I think he's just jumping on the bandwagon, but anyway:

Channel 5's Classic Car Rescue was a wasted opportunity

James Ruppert

by James Ruppert

12 October 2012

It was my considerable misfortune last Monday to catch Classic Car Rescue on Channel 5. I mistakenly thought that an hour of prime time telly involving finding, restoring and selling a classic would be truly fascinating.

Now I’ve actually been involved with cars on telly. I know how it all works and just sometimes how things are exaggerated, fixed and blown out of all proportion for the entertainment of the masses. I lasted one day on a show that seemed to want to insult the average motorists intelligence. I made my excuses and left the production office with a clear conscience.

Top Gear have turned mucking about with cars into an art form. One that can’t be copied. However, that hasn’t stopped the makers of Car Crash TV, sorry Classic Car Rescue, trying.

Contrived scenarios that was painful to watch. It was also painful to listen to a big fat bully making a drama out of a manufactured crisis. I refuse to dissect what’s wrong with the programme I saw, which involved restoring an MGB for 10p, then getting it valued by a bloke who didn’t even put it on a ramp.

Channel 5 need to think again, but it is unlikely that they will. I watched it with someone who isn’t bothered by cars and hated it. Yet will sit and enjoy three middle aged blokes on Top Gear.

Even though I am old, cynical, tired and quite ugly I still get approached for TV programme input. Most recently three production companies and the BBC have discovered via Google that I’m the go to guy for The German Car Industry and the 1980s. They needed a shed load of information for a documentary they are making.

Unfortunately for them I am not a potential intern willing to work for nothing. Yet they admitted they knew nothing about the subject. I think that’s how bad TV shows involving cars get made.

Happy viewing.

Oh have a look at this from AUTOCAR:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anything-goes/car-tv-rubbish

I think he's just jumping on the bandwagon, but anyway:

Channel 5's Classic Car Rescue was a wasted opportunity

James Ruppert

by James Ruppert

12 October 2012

It was my considerable misfortune last Monday to catch Classic Car Rescue on Channel 5. I mistakenly thought that an hour of prime time telly involving finding, restoring and selling a classic would be truly fascinating.

Now I’ve actually been involved with cars on telly. I know how it all works and just sometimes how things are exaggerated, fixed and blown out of all proportion for the entertainment of the masses. I lasted one day on a show that seemed to want to insult the average motorists intelligence. I made my excuses and left the production office with a clear conscience.

Top Gear have turned mucking about with cars into an art form. One that can’t be copied. However, that hasn’t stopped the makers of Car Crash TV, sorry Classic Car Rescue, trying.

Contrived scenarios that was painful to watch. It was also painful to listen to a big fat bully making a drama out of a manufactured crisis. I refuse to dissect what’s wrong with the programme I saw, which involved restoring an MGB for 10p, then getting it valued by a bloke who didn’t even put it on a ramp.

Channel 5 need to think again, but it is unlikely that they will. I watched it with someone who isn’t bothered by cars and hated it. Yet will sit and enjoy three middle aged blokes on Top Gear.

Even though I am old, cynical, tired and quite ugly I still get approached for TV programme input. Most recently three production companies and the BBC have discovered via Google that I’m the go to guy for The German Car Industry and the 1980s. They needed a shed load of information for a documentary they are making.

Unfortunately for them I am not a potential intern willing to work for nothing. Yet they admitted they knew nothing about the subject. I think that’s how bad TV shows involving cars get made.

Happy viewing.

When Mario dropped the screen it was so obviously staged and once again Bernie made a member of staff walk out. As Trigger and Redsparrow have said Mario is ok and does seem to be a genuine classic car lover but Bernie is just too over the top. I like the narrator his voice sounds familiar anyone know who he is?

With the success of the 2002 onwards format of Top Gear its obvious that TV companies are more likely to commission a car show if it follows a similar staged format. Maybe the creators wanted to do a more serious type of classic car show but were told to make it more slap stick like Top Gear as that’s what the viewers want. If it was going to be more fact based im sure Bernie wouldn't have been cast. The fact that Bernie speaks with an annoying voice is the same as Jeremy Clarkson speaking in that put on sarcastic up/down pitched voice. The problem with the current Top Gear format is that its 10 years old and is now very dated and the show has become almost a parody of itself.

When Mario dropped the screen it was so obviously staged and once again Bernie made a member of staff walk out. As Trigger and Redsparrow have said Mario is ok and does seem to be a genuine classic car lover but Bernie is just too over the top. I like the narrator his voice sounds familiar anyone know who he is?

With the success of the 2002 onwards format of Top Gear its obvious that TV companies are more likely to commission a car show if it follows a similar staged format. Maybe the creators wanted to do a more serious type of classic car show but were told to make it more slap stick like Top Gear as that’s what the viewers want. If it was going to be more fact based im sure Bernie wouldn't have been cast. The fact that Bernie speaks with an annoying voice is the same as Jeremy Clarkson speaking in that put on sarcastic up/down pitched voice. The problem with the current Top Gear format is that its 10 years old and is now very dated and the show has become almost a parody of itself.

I didn't watch it, thank goodness after reading the reports. Instead I turned over to BBC4 to watch some archive film of London's West End. Not an obvious alternative but I think it was mainly shot in the 50s and 60s and nearly all street scenes, so loads of what is now prime AS fodder out and about :D Also it was amazing how well the traffic flowed in spite of a complete lack of Things Painted on the Road (or perhaps it was because of a complete lack of Things Painted on the Road :wink: )

These sort of things tend to get repeated quite frequently, so worth keeping an eye out for :)

I didn't watch it, thank goodness after reading the reports. Instead I turned over to BBC4 to watch some archive film of London's West End. Not an obvious alternative but I think it was mainly shot in the 50s and 60s and nearly all street scenes, so loads of what is now prime AS fodder out and about :D Also it was amazing how well the traffic flowed in spite of a complete lack of Things Painted on the Road (or perhaps it was because of a complete lack of Things Painted on the Road :wink: )

These sort of things tend to get repeated quite frequently, so worth keeping an eye out for :)

OK, I just watched the E-Type episode. I haven't watched TV in over two years, and this reminded me why I quit it.

You know, once you weaned yourself from the tube, your brain actually regenerates within a few weeks and you are

unable to sustain it ever again.

TV is an insult to any intelligent form of life, and if this series doesn't prove my point, only football will.

OK, they botched together a Series II Auto Export USA non-V12, the least desirable version ever produced

this side of a 2+2, in a way cars were - uhm - restored (?) back in the 70s.

The nerve to capture the evidence of this destruction of national heritage on film is despicable.

Anyone with half a brain would deny to have anything to do with it and go into hiding the moment

a hapless victim daft enough to buy it has driven off the yard.

However, the most annoying thing about it are the two presenters. Typical radio faces, but not voices.

That fat flathead should be dubbed, both, his voice and language are simply appalling.

How on earth did they manage to find the two ugliest old fuckwits bare of any talent out of 7 billion people?

For this achievement alone, they should get an award.

I'm not exposing myself to subsequent episodes. 45 minutes of telly in two years is just too much.

I hope the series is not broadcasted abroad.

Just imagine what image of Britain this would transmit to the world.

OK, I just watched the E-Type episode. I haven't watched TV in over two years, and this reminded me why I quit it.

You know, once you weaned yourself from the tube, your brain actually regenerates within a few weeks and you are

unable to sustain it ever again.

TV is an insult to any intelligent form of life, and if this series doesn't prove my point, only football will.

OK, they botched together a Series II Auto Export USA non-V12, the least desirable version ever produced

this side of a 2+2, in a way cars were - uhm - restored (?) back in the 70s.

The nerve to capture the evidence of this destruction of national heritage on film is despicable.

Anyone with half a brain would deny to have anything to do with it and go into hiding the moment

a hapless victim daft enough to buy it has driven off the yard.

However, the most annoying thing about it are the two presenters. Typical radio faces, but not voices.

That fat flathead should be dubbed, both, his voice and language are simply appalling.

How on earth did they manage to find the two ugliest old fuckwits bare of any talent out of 7 billion people?

For this achievement alone, they should get an award.

I'm not exposing myself to subsequent episodes. 45 minutes of telly in two years is just too much.

I hope the series is not broadcasted abroad.

Just imagine what image of Britain this would transmit to the world.

I had the misfortune of catching the Mustang episode last night... Classic contrived bollocks which would work better if they could actually act, the engine blows up with a massive puff of smoke when they try and start it, the electric soft top spews just before the valuer arrives but they handily have a spare waiting anyway. More importantly was the finish, it looked appalling... they were trying to brush off some of the panel gaps which were shocking for so called professionals.

I had the misfortune of catching the Mustang episode last night... Classic contrived bollocks which would work better if they could actually act, the engine blows up with a massive puff of smoke when they try and start it, the electric soft top spews just before the valuer arrives but they handily have a spare waiting anyway. More importantly was the finish, it looked appalling... they were trying to brush off some of the panel gaps which were shocking for so called professionals.

I thought it was a bit better last night. Entertaining and irritating in equal measure but still 97.8% better than my big xfactor gypsy wedding on ice bollocks.

In fairness though sticking your hand into a blender is probably better craic than the X Facta on Ice Get Me Out of Here bollocks.

....I'd hate to have seen the other episodes if they really were worse than that. :shock:

I thought it was a bit better last night. Entertaining and irritating in equal measure but still 97.8% better than my big xfactor gypsy wedding on ice bollocks.

In fairness though sticking your hand into a blender is probably better craic than the X Facta on Ice Get Me Out of Here bollocks.

....I'd hate to have seen the other episodes if they really were worse than that. :shock:

I caught a few minutes of last night's show, loved the bit where the beardy one threw the screen on the floor, Charlie Chaplin would have made it look so much more convincing.... :roll:

Was I hearing right, did they say that some lucky* viewer could win that POS after being fleeced for a few quid on one of C5s famous value for money phone-in competitions? That would just make my day having that roll up outside the house. :evil:

*as in my granny's old pet budgie 'lucky', who escaped his cage one day and enjoyed about 3 whole minutes of glorious freedom before the cat got him.....

I caught a few minutes of last night's show, loved the bit where the beardy one threw the screen on the floor, Charlie Chaplin would have made it look so much more convincing.... :roll:

Was I hearing right, did they say that some lucky* viewer could win that POS after being fleeced for a few quid on one of C5s famous value for money phone-in competitions? That would just make my day having that roll up outside the house. :evil:

*as in my granny's old pet budgie 'lucky', who escaped his cage one day and enjoyed about 3 whole minutes of glorious freedom before the cat got him.....

Isn't the narrator the same gezzer who done that show about those dodgy UK mechanics at the Spanish garage, IIRC called The Garage?

Think you're right, Trig. I quite like that Spanish one.

Yeah, I remember that show.... just about the right balance of techy stuff and "OMGDRAMA". Like, they'd approximately try to explain how a bit of a car works but then still have someone walk out in a temper. A little bit of stereotyping maybe, like all cars over 10 years old are worthless (I remember them explaining how a Golf Cabrio with a busted water pump was "effectively scrap") but was entertaining.

I get Mrs Pillock giving me the evils every time I suggest putting this C5 one on!

Isn't the narrator the same gezzer who done that show about those dodgy UK mechanics at the Spanish garage, IIRC called The Garage?

Think you're right, Trig. I quite like that Spanish one.

Yeah, I remember that show.... just about the right balance of techy stuff and "OMGDRAMA". Like, they'd approximately try to explain how a bit of a car works but then still have someone walk out in a temper. A little bit of stereotyping maybe, like all cars over 10 years old are worthless (I remember them explaining how a Golf Cabrio with a busted water pump was "effectively scrap") but was entertaining.

I get Mrs Pillock giving me the evils every time I suggest putting this C5 one on!

Since when to you inspect a potential restoration project without at least checking the floor???? On at least sticking your head under the car and having a tap at the sills etc.??? How not to buy and restore a car i think this programme should be called. How come the so called valuer is the same chappy both side of the Atlantic???? Surley there was a valuer on the Canadian side of the pond??? I' d my money on there being two cars again. Going by the way the shots were cut and from what you could see of the front scuttle and dash and the general underside of the car before and after, i doubt they could have done all they said they did in the time scale. A non matching numbers Pony car is worth less than a matching numbers one. Why did he not try putting Diesal down the bores of the supposadly seized engine and leave for a day or so. At least overnight? I wonder where the car is if it being offered for sale.Presumably it is this side of the pond. If they had done it in Red or Black the car would have looked better or even HIghland Green. Does make me wonder how they are going to do the Mini. How big a disaster that will be???.

All the cars featured are being given away as viewer competition prizes.