OMG SNO KAOS - pics or stories?

John F

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

Use my old trick of leaving a fan heater in the car , come morning just flick the switch , have breakfast and drive off ...

The problem was that my extension lead is somewhere else

20221212_123646.jpg

Enjoying the snow here but made a right twat of myself on Saturday.  We drove up near Huntly to have a play in the snow in my 4 motion VW.  The main car park was quite deep and a chap was having a bit of trouble getting out.  I gave him a push and he asked if I was going to park there.  I assured him I was because it 'should be all right, I have winter tyres and this thing is four-wheel drive you know'.  Waving him merrily on his way I drove straight in and came to a rapid stop, completely stuck.  Rear wheels not doing anything at all.  Bugger.  Followed by a good 30 minutes of digging to get it out.  

Car's booked in to the garage on Wednesday because sod getting under it in this weather.  It's a Gen 2 Haldex system so not hugely complicated and hopefully not too hard to fix...

Looking pretty round here ain’t it. 
Charlton park this morning

69C13C0E-01F4-497C-9A2B-5CC1E8134E0F.thumb.jpeg.6074df7276b390334ac6d115bbb4fc9c.jpeg

Lower road cleared up in Greenwich but big flakes still falling

CB4BE925-73B5-4FC3-9371-02CD52584B9D.thumb.jpeg.f6e2ebf581fc26506ab004b6939592bb.jpeg

Blackheath looked a treat still on way home though my pics admittedly a bit shit had to lean over the driver.

E20F0F1A-7E04-44D7-912C-856963C33478.thumb.jpeg.b529da394db52927e78ac3a052371446.jpeg

Slush turning to ice now be fun in the morning though up central and need fa tools so shall walk and train. Reminds me must charge my headphones. 

How we didn't have a shunt during the school drop off period this morning I have no idea.  I was deicing the car and I kid you not, 98% of the cars came charging down the road at about 25mph (it's a tiny residential street, 15 is more appropriate irrespective of conditions) then discovering about 10 feet before the roundabout that brakes don't work on sheet ice and sliding straight out into the roundabout.  

How everyone missed everyone else is both a miracle - and as someone who has to put up with their nonsense every day - kinda disappointing.  Especially the idiot with the white Juke who is an absolute oxygen thief.

17 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

How we didn't have a shunt during the school drop off period this morning I have no idea.  I was deicing the car and I kid you not, 98% of the cars came charging down the road at about 25mph (it's a tiny residential street, 15 is more appropriate irrespective of conditions) then discovering about 10 feet before the roundabout that brakes don't work on sheet ice and sliding straight out into the roundabout.  

How everyone missed everyone else is both a miracle - and as someone who has to put up with their nonsense every day - kinda disappointing.  Especially the idiot with the white Juke who is an absolute oxygen thief.

Are you taking a watering can down to the roundabout tonight at about 11PM?

• 1 month later...

OMG SNO KAOS here alright.

1970127614_IMG_20230117_1203102.thumb.jpg.7bb3375d8f4fb2d678941333d40f6e54.jpg

Numpties on the news complaining that although the main road network was gritted there were "no snow ploughs out", and that was the cause of several accidents earlier today.

Ice and snow warning extended across Northern Ireland - BBC News

FFS there's less than a centimetre. How exactly might a snowplough have helped here?

Emergency services dealing with a collision

Definitely nothing to do with chumps on worn Landsails taking a roundabout at an unwise speed in -7°c conditions...

If you've made no effort to clear snow from a car in the UK, in theory you will be fined.

If the one police car for the whole of the south-east of the country happens to spot you, that is.

No Sno down in West Suzzex, but it has been -7 overnight, hence frost everywhere.  Ideal* for doing welding work at the moment...

I went to see a friend this evening (not to brag, but I have 2). His house is located conveniently at the end of a country lane not far from my house. It’s the one that floods regularly and I enjoy driving my 4x4 through whilst laughing at submerged BMW’s.

Anyway, with the flood waters partly receded we were treated to ice this evening.

Skoda that didn’t like the ice:

814D94E2-7955-49EA-82E1-DAD1D9E914C8.thumb.jpeg.b9f5196fe16edfff3cfeed589544ab0f.jpeg

56736B35-6737-435F-9795-80F93F1387A9.thumb.jpeg.d7ba5dfcfc1731ea269f8866ea6b14a7.jpeg

Fuel tank that is possibly from a Bini:

D1D3E61B-D1E3-44DE-AC3D-9494C2F34EAC.thumb.jpeg.6dcc8e7e8de4ba1b16d948e2671ca6d5.jpeg

Bini near the fuel tank that is possibly from a Bini:

1F9A7EB8-E208-45CD-B80A-921ED99B455B.thumb.jpeg.50366405db60e0df50ff67e5665a53da.jpeg

I did stop and check them both to make sure nobody was in them.

The road was icy, but was slippery for a good distance before both of these cars so not sure what went on there. It was good fun in the 4wd though, we do like some adverse conditions to justify the use of it.

9 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

I went to see a friend this evening (not to brag, but I have 2). His house is located conveniently at the end of a country lane not far from my house. It’s the one that floods regularly and I enjoy driving my 4x4 through whilst laughing at submerged BMW’s.

Anyway, with the flood waters partly receded we were treated to ice this evening.

Skoda that didn’t like the ice:

814D94E2-7955-49EA-82E1-DAD1D9E914C8.thumb.jpeg.b9f5196fe16edfff3cfeed589544ab0f.jpeg

56736B35-6737-435F-9795-80F93F1387A9.thumb.jpeg.d7ba5dfcfc1731ea269f8866ea6b14a7.jpeg

Fuel tank that is possibly from a Bini:

D1D3E61B-D1E3-44DE-AC3D-9494C2F34EAC.thumb.jpeg.6dcc8e7e8de4ba1b16d948e2671ca6d5.jpeg

Bini near the fuel tank that is possibly from a Bini:

1F9A7EB8-E208-45CD-B80A-921ED99B455B.thumb.jpeg.50366405db60e0df50ff67e5665a53da.jpeg

I did stop and check them both to make sure nobody was in them.

The road was icy, but was slippery for a good distance before both of these cars so not sure what went on there. It was good fun in the 4wd though, we do like some adverse conditions to justify the use of it.

I'm so glad we have proper tires here. On ice, only Scandinavian studded winter tires or tire chains work well.

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I'm so glad we have proper tires here. On ice, only Scandinavian studded winter tires or tire chains work well.

The problem we have here is that 99% of the time the weather is really mild, and doesn't justify such tyres or chains. Even last night, the ice was only in certain areas where the road had previously flooded, everything else was dry asphalt still so I had to keep swapping between 2wd and 4wd on the Mitsubishi as it has no centre diff and does not like dry asphalt in 4wd. I think it would be a different story if we had prolonged periods where the road surfaces were consistently covered in snow and ice, people's attitudes and ability would be different.

We've not really had enough here to make life interesting, so I'll tell you about an incident that happened to me many many years ago in my very first automatic motor car, an R registered Audi 80GL estate. A B1 to be precise & very much like the one in the pic except that it was blue with a Webasto sunroof & for some unknown reason, it had huge, aluminium bumpers.

spacer.png

Anyhoo, I'd been clattering about in this since very early O'clock one snowy morning and at about tenish had to make a longer trip. On my return journey the snow was beginning to clear nicely, but I found myself stuck behind some knob doing about 17mph on a derestricted section of road. No bother thought I, 'I'll pass the chap & drive ahead of him'. The car kicked down a cog and off we went, only when it changed back up it was still at full throttle. It had stuck wide open. 'Not a bother I'll just continue on to the next village where there's a garage I can stop at'. Incredibly I made it safely although the brakes were smoking & the car stunk. But I pulled up onto the forecourt & opened the bonnet for a lean in and a look at the carburettor linkage. Just as the mechanic wandered over to see what was going on, I was mounted & shagged impressively hard by his huge Alsatian dog.

How we laughed...

On 1/19/2023 at 10:09 AM, Spurious said:

I've been using a little dustpan brush for cleaning the loose snow off. It's commonplace on the continent to have a spare one thrown in the boot, in-laws were telling me the police will fine you (in Poland) for driving around with snow covering the car. 

It’s a funny thing this as mainly a van driver I must admit that ive never cleared the snow of the roof of any van I’ve had. Getting a ladder and a long broom out just seems a little unsafe to me. I’ve had plenty cars too though mainly van or bike. Was once following a lorry on the m4 and a sheet of ice came off it. Luckily I was following close as was running out of fuel and sitting in the slipstream and it sailed over my head.  Clear screens for visibility yes. Snow on roof such a big deal, I ain’t so sure. Granted I live somewhere if this has happened then A it ain’t going to effect fuck all and B a blip of the wipers would fuck it off. 

Been snowed in here since last Monday, looks like Monday coming before the road will be passable in a car or 4x4. So it’s the quad for emergencies and thanks for electricity and a stocked freezer.

If this happened more than one or two times a year then we would have a 4x4 with big nobblies but, it doesn’t 

As always, the SE of the UK gets hardly any snow, but the light frosting the other day told me everything I suspected about the company/hire car I'm in at the moment - the front tyres are really crap. The traction control is always having to work hard, even in the wet. (It's a 2021 Fiesta). Might have to have a moan about it to Thrifty.

Mind you, I am used to a tiny Fiat, they are amazing in the snow/ice, in my experience. Plus I have brand new tyres on, which makes a hell of a difference. 

On 1/20/2023 at 8:24 AM, Dyslexic Viking said:

First time I went to Iceland in the winter I could not work out why the road traffic was so noisy in Reykjavik - then I realised that it was because the roads in  town were swept of snow and the tyre studs were loud on the concrete. Soon as you got off the main drag tho' it was obvious why you needed them. Once the snow gets compacted into ice nothing else grips (and I'm including 4x4 farm tractors - that's a brown trousers job if I've ever had one). Locals love it tho' and are happily whizzing along in a studded 4x4 at speeds that would turn your hair white.

As stated above By @Rust Collector- we just don't get enough bad weather for most of us to invest in two sets of tyres/rims - that's fine so long as we don't all continue to drive like it's the middle of the Summer all the time - unfortunately modern life (like the US Postal Service) likes to think it stops for nothing. Royal Mail now has a week's worth of backed up parcels for me and, this morning, another two 'we got your parcel' emails fron Evri. Maybe get 'em on Tuesday now.

Don't get me wrong - I love living in the arse end of nowhere and just make allowances. Shame visitors don't (you rarely find the Mountain Rescue called out for locals) :-) 

• 1 month later...

Genuinely, short of living in the Highlands, this is as much snow as we've had since the fabled beast from the east. 

It's been snowing constantly since about 12 hours in Huddersfield. 

There must be about 3-4 inches of the stuff now. I was out earlier in the Jimny in Golcar. It's going to be kaos in the morning. Already seen a Honda Jazz that binned it, taking out two parked cars here. 

Kirklees council have the snow ploughs out, but the local first bus was stuck on Manchester road for a while. 

Tomorrow is going to be fun. The Jimny is very sure footed in 4wd, it's like a different car when it's in 2wd in the snow, where it's a bit twitchy and tail happy. 

Either way, roll on the journey to work tomorrow! 

20230310_002438.jpg