Small shit vans - Advice in what is there and what to avoid

SiC

I've never had a problem going to the dump in a van - I've been to my local dump in the Trafic several times, and made a number of trips to the main one in Norwich in a Transit and a JU250 back in the day, and nobody's said anything.  I think if you went in with a signwritten van it might be different.

They've changed it locally now. Used to get 6 permits a year for a van (no trade waste) and now you're allowed 3 visits in 30 days. They have bodycams fitted to monitor people. 

I've never had a problem going to the dump in a van - I've been to my local dump in the Trafic several times, and made a number of trips to the main one in Norwich in a Transit and a JU250 back in the day, and nobody's said anything. I think if you went in with a signwritten van it might be different.

In Gloucestershire and probably Bristol too where SiC is you need to book a van in and can only go once a day plus get the third degree about the contents when you go.

I loved my 1.9D Kangoo and engine wise it was extremely reliable. Showed its age through other stuff (clutch pedal ball joint wore out leading to no pedal and a cunt of a job for example)

I would always in future buy a Trafic size van though - infinitely more useful for not much more insurance/tax/fuel costs. Wish I hadn't sold mine.

Berlingo 1.9d is the dw8 engine. Reliable enough but catastrophically sluggish.

Daihatsu Hi-jet vans seem to crop up cheaply, almost all with overheating/ HGF. Fun to drive in town, not at all on a windy motorway.

Vans are ace, I had a brief spell without one last year and it was shit so I bought another one. (It's a Caddy so too diesely and expensive for your requirements). We use it for the allotment (tools, water, plants, etc.) I use it for my bike and the easy to clean interior is great for taking out our hairy little dog who sheds like a straw lorry on a motorway.

Side loading doors are a bonus and the higher the roof the better. Vans like the Astravans aren't particularly practical, you might as well have an estate. 

Towbars add to usefulness and ply lined are nicer.

I like vans.

Just looking at load length on the C15 Vs Berlingo/Kangoo. Curiously the C15 has the shortest load length, while the Hijet and Carry, despite being the smallest vehicle, has the largest!

All look slightly too small to fit a standard bed (as a ball park) in though.

Daihatsu Hi-jet vans seem to crop up cheaply, almost all with overheating/ HGF. Fun to drive in town, not at all on a windy motorway.

Are dw8 compatible with veg? Even if not done as 100% but more 50/50?

What's the deal with biodiesel? Is it different to fresh veg oil? We have somewhere local here that offers it pretty cheap.

http://www.bristolbiofuel.com/about.html

Tbh, given the miles I'm doing, veg is more of a curiousity.

Mine blew up doing 80MPH uphill, catastrophic is right.

They're good vans, I like mine, just need an injection of enthusiasm to get it on the road again, they're good to drive for a small van, comfy and good handling as you'd expect from PSA's golden age.

The Inca/Caddy van is available with a 1.4 pez mill, most 1.9SDis are cheap but TDis command ££££. Are 1.4 vans cheap to tax? I thought all commercial vehicles had a flat tax.

Biodiesel is distilled/chemically altered veg oil, it's to make it the same viscosity as pump diesel.

Both of my vans had a roof rack and a towbar. What wouldn't fit in it either went on top or on the trailer. If you have a roof rack then you will be great.

I forgot about roof racks! I guess they take a much greater load than your standard car type racks and larger?

Mine blew up doing 80MPH uphill, catastrophic is right.

They're good vans, I like mine, just need an injection of enthusiasm to get it on the road again, they're good to drive for a small van, comfy and good handling as you'd expect from PSA's golden age.

The Inca/Caddy van is available with a 1.4 pez mill, most 1.9SDis are cheap but TDis command ££££. Are 1.4 vans cheap to tax? I thought all commercial vehicles had a flat tax.

Biodiesel is distilled/chemically altered veg oil, it's to make it the same viscosity as pump diesel.

Double checked and cheaper tax only applies to pre-2001 if under 1.6l. Given the price range and budget, it's probably going to be near that age anyway!

Is biodiesel compatible with more diesel engines? Iirc, it's about 90p/l here.

DW8s aren't really any good on biodiesel as 99.99% of them have a Lucas pump. DW8 Bosch pumps are not common, although I think you can use an XUD pump with some adaption/bodgery.

My van berlingo was an early one so XUD but it had a Lucas pump.

In 1 year / 20k miles on mostly biodiesel I had to do the pump main seal twice and the throttle spindle once. 

The actual seals are v.cheap but it's a pain, leaking grease based fuel all over the road isn't cool so I had to have it recovered once.

They should do 40+mpg pretty easily so just use real person diesel.

Transit Connect comes in LWB and high roof..... not sure how expensive they still are though or reliability but it's just a Fiesta isn't it?

But Ford ... rust. Real shame that Transits suffer so much from rust, I really like the shape of the post-smilies.

For sale from outside a Cavcraft style garage - a real hallmark of QUALITY

$_86.JPG

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/citroen-berlingo-2001-cheap-reliable-van-mot-just-expired/1240957486

Yeah I've seen that on my Gumtree/eBay searches. Shame it doesn't have a MOT or a lot cheaper.

This one would have been a good one, but the seller isn't responding. Also given the date and how cheap it is, it's either fucked or sold.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/berlingo-for-sale/1236528664

I've had a Transit Connect as a daily for nearly four years and it has been brilliant as such. It does have much of the "proper van" feeling of a Transit, and gets treated as such by other road users which is a good thing, makes the commute much easier for instance.

The paint is thin, but at 11 years, no real rust, certainly no rot. Unlike Transits, Connects have always had wheelarch liners, sills are zinc coat steel which helps when the paint gives up. Ford van white is the easiest paint match possible, stonechip is available in white. Engine and 'box are generic Ford but the rest of the van is not car derived: proper solid rear axle on leaf springs for example. 10/10