Yellow/sunroof 406 V6 Coupé Manual - £650 MOT November

RichardK

So, the 406 saga so far. It got used, then it got parked - I'd tried replacing the bulb in the clock with no success, so emailed a chap breaking an appropriately old saloon on eBay and asked for a carefully removed clock and the radio, which looked to have the same power button. Duly requested, the email came back with "both removed perfectly, £25 inc. postage", and they were delivered very quickly.

The clock was plugged in, and still didn't work. So I did the radio bit. All I needed was the power switch, but rather than "pop it out, clip it on my radio" I dismantled the entire unit so I could be certain of removing it without damage. That all went perfectly, so now I have a box with lots of spare bits from the lower-end Philips radio/cassette (not JBL model with remote display) if anyone needs spare buttons, display, electronics or so forth.

Trying to get the clock to light up, I blew a fuse when hooking up the multimeter. I R SMRT. Replaced fuse, tried clock again - this time, when I got the bulb to work it was not bright at all, and the passenger window dropped halfway. Then the driver's door started making odd noises. On the same day a brochure from eBay arrived with the interesting fact that my SE coupé should have electric folding mirrors. Those also didn't work.

So list of flaws now:

Driver's door window motor making noises.

Mirrors not working in any way, but making the door noise change.

Radio has what sounds like blown speaker (was like that before I faffed with the clock)

Alternator light half on (like that when I got it and I'd attributed to oil all over the alternator)

Generally not a happy car.

This one is a D8, so not multiplexed. Some people might get fear of multiplex, but I tell you, that's nothing compared to the fear of diagnosing a bad earth on a car where all of these systems are conventionally wired. This thing must have 20Kg of wiring in it. Lesson one, though, is never try and suss out these faults with a bad battery, so I left it on the charger.

Had to pop out to get the mag, so went out and checked on the car. Charger reported car was up to spec, still no clock. I checked the fusebox again, and just for the hell of it, decided to pull ALL the fuses related to the problem circuits and replace them.

post-19568-0-42316300-1446056171_thumb.jpg

Hello. That's a correctly lit clock.

post-19568-0-07336400-1446056279_thumb.jpg

And that's a correctly-behaving dash with alternator light going on when the ignition is at position 1, and off when the engine is running...

post-19568-0-92354900-1446056164_thumb.jpg

And THAT'S a working power folding mirror! Of which it has two!

post-19568-0-20802200-1446056162_thumb.jpg

This car is really quite nice. And pretty. It still leaks a fair bit of oil and the oil pressure flickers - momentarily - when hot and coming up to a junction, but only in the sense that the car has not quite caught the idle speed. A/C pump is noisy so harmonic balancer, then pump itself, will be investigated. Until then A/C is off - I might pull the fuse for the compressor clutch. It does work, so the noise may just be low, but not low enough, refrigerant.

Bonus fix, the audio which I was convinced had a duff speaker now sounds excellent. And loud.

I think it was frightened by the fact that I appeared in the garage in shorts & t-shirt (good at fixing cars. Not so good at remembering to put things like, er, trousers in the laundry).

post-19568-0-42160400-1446057451_thumb.jpg

So, total spent so far - £729, including the MOT. Can't really complain at that. There's another £400 at least though, cambelt/tensioner/waterpump/degassing chamber/oil pressure switch/sump gasket/oil/filters/gearbox oil are all on the list.

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely looking car and seems to be in fine condition. Superb engine although better suited to a badermatic than manual.

Make sure you look at the 406 coupe owners forum when finding out about faults & features of the car.

Despite the initial auto-obsession, I'm loving the V6 & manual combo. Can't wait until I've de-baggyfied the suspension, I have a lot of fun wth it even when it clonks and tries to go two directions at once.

And, some reading for the evening. I think the Xantia V6 will be heading home again shortly, though it's welcome to stay here (mustnotstealoilcap).

post-19568-0-99985300-1447720692_thumb.jpg

1: Variance rectifier module.

2: Spleen
3: Pointechnica Verstätenstik
4: Vital Important Bit
5: Merry Go Round
6: Ennui Compensators
7: Catapult.
8: Mainsptring
9: The Larch
10: Little Piggies
11: Starting Handle
12: Trunnions.
13: Femur
14: Mind's Eye.
15: Steering Wheel
16: Upper Molars
17: Woggle
18: Elastic Band

"Can you help Timmy Timing Mark get from the Crankshaft to all four camshafts without spilling any water or dropping any valves? Complete this and hand in with your empty plate for a Little Chef Lolly. Then settle down in our waiting room for the AA truck"

If it hasn't snapped yet, I may have some bizarre addiction to cars that are too complex for any mortal to fix, that need fixing. Like a holding pen, refusing to scrap them or give up, but equally, unwilling to risk killing their engines or letting anyone else charge me loads of money to kill them for me a few miles later.

They look great in Yellow, although I love yellow cars.  I remember an ad on ebay a couple of years ago for a yellow Laguna Mk I which looked fabulous, genuine factory colour too.

Yes the electrics are interesting on those.  I remember some weird interference on the radio when indicating on mine.  Just couldn't get on with the seats though, I know many find them comfortable.

And, some reading for the evening. I think the Xantia V6 will be heading home again shortly, though it's welcome to stay here (mustnotstealoilcap).

del5qv.jpg

1: Variance rectifier module.

2: Spleen

3: Pointechnica Verstätenstik

4: Vital Important Bit

5: Merry Go Round

6: Ennui Compensators

7: Catapult.

8: Mainsptring

9: The Larch

10: Little Piggies

11: Starting Handle

12: Trunnions.

13: Femur

14: Mind's Eye.

15: Steering Wheel

16: Upper Molars

17: Woggle

18: Elastic Band

"Can you help Timmy Timing Mark get from the Crankshaft to all four camshafts without spilling any water or dropping any valves? Complete this and hand in with your empty plate for a Little Chef Lolly. Then settle down in our waiting room for the AA truck"

Quality content.

At 120k miles yours is barely run in. Mine (admittedly the saloon but mechanically the same) has 140k and runs great, the only difference is that mine has the german chocolate gearbox (ZF 4HP20). Back in the day I remember reading that the 406 saloon was the best selling taxi in Europe. Not something you would boast about in front of your mates but it means that the mechanical bits are pretty robust. You can't fool taxi drivers and get away with it. Of course they wouldn't choose a V6 but everything else is strong. If yours is noisy in the suspension department check out the front drop links - a known weak point for wear but to put this in perspective I just had mine replaced for the first time so lasting almost to 140k is good going. An engine mount might have broken as well - a known V6 weak point.

At 120k miles yours is barely run in. Mine (admittedly the saloon but mechanically the same) has 140k and runs great, the only difference is that mine has the german chocolate gearbox (ZF 4HP20). Back in the day I remember reading that the 406 saloon was the best selling taxi in Europe. Not something you would boast about in front of your mates but it means that the mechanical bits are pretty robust. You can't fool taxi drivers and get away with it. Of course they wouldn't choose a V6 but everything else is strong. If yours is noisy in the suspension department check out the front drop links - a known weak point for wear but to put this in perspective I just had mine replaced for the first time so lasting almost to 140k is good going. An engine mount might have broken as well - a known V6 weak point.

I thought all V6s had the stronger ZF box and only the 2.0 litres had the weaker French built 4HP20

Only just caught up on reading this. It's a nice looking car. It's a shame I was in a rush the other day as I'd have liked to have had a look round it. Do you still have the stereo display thing? I've just taxed and insured my 406 today and the display is one thing I would like to change as the pixels have gone in mine. I think they come in different sizes though so not sure if they're the same? Let me know as i'll buy it off you if it's the right one. Rubbish photo attached.

post-19517-0-62186100-1447797446_thumb.jpg

I thought all V6s had the stronger ZF box and only the 2.0 litres had the weaker French built 4HP20

Yes, the V6s have the ZF box. Reading around the Peugeot forums 4HP20 seems to have a reputation for fragility although not as bad as the froggie built AL4.  Not sure that the reputation is deserved compared to other FWD autoboxes but it is true that the V6 puts a fair amount of torque through it.

There are two opposing schools of thought regarding these autoboxes. One says you should change the fluid regularly even though it's "sealed for life". The other says don't touch it as changing the fluid will disturb all the metallic particles settled throughout the box and kill it soon after the fluid change.  Whichever way you play this game the box will blow up at some point so you lose one way or the other.

• 2 months later...

The 406 has finally made it onto the lift, but it's not delighting me with happy easy work.

First task, solve the clunk at the back and weird handling. Droplinks - battle commences, finally got the top bits off, ARB hasn't swung down with the lifted car. ARB is also covered in flaking powdercoat and has lots of rust around mounts. One assumes, therefore, the ARB has not wanted to move at all, and has only been persuaded to under extreme forces, which would explain the "hit bumpy bit of road, car makes loud noise, handling goes odd, but nothing obvious when looking",

So now I'm wondering if a new ARB is cheaper/less hassle than de-rusting and repainting/coating the old one.

Droplinks are £18/pair for Febi, so no complaints there. Coils look okay. Damper bump stop/dust shield seems to have collapsed, so I want to know how that should look when properly assembled - there's a metal collar sort of floating with a rubber bit that feels like it should be attached to the top somehow.

Front strut tops feel slow/reluctant, too - turning steering with wheels off the ground and it's fighting me.

And that's before I get to the engine and oil leaks.

There's a good chance that if I get too stressed/overwhelmed with projects, this one will be departing. Depends on how replacing the ARB bits goes.

• 2 months later...

Okay, this one has to go. Shame - I'd really like to keep it, but I'm juggling too many things.

£500 - as is but you can finish fitting the droplinks here if I haven't cracked those infuriatingly inaccessible bottom bolts. Will have had an oil & filter change because I got a new filter for it. Properly rare model in this colour & spec and well worth the effort.

Just drained the oil out & popped a new genuine filter on, then to refill with lovely fresh semi-synth.

Hate those droplink bolts though. WTF, Peugeot. WTF. Could reattach the old ones to make it drivable, albeit noisy.