Astra H 1.7 CDTi Estate. No longer for sale.

Bmwdumptruck

Really need to get this off my driveway.  Was going to scrap it, but every time I look at it I’m reminded just how tidy it was for it’s age and miles.  There’s hardly a mark on the bodywork, just a little rust just starting to show on the bottom edges of front wings.
So its a 2006 Basic Astra Life with about 93/4k on the clock.  I bought it just 4 years ago and I believe I’m third owner.  We were building an extension here at home and I needed something to run rubbish down my local tidytip so bought this.  It’s been brilliant, until it threw up an oil warning lamp down at Tesco one day.  Turned out the oil pump pully had worn itself off the shaft.  I replaced the pump, fitting a new cambelt at the time.  I’ve also fitted new front discs and pads around the same time.  All was then good until a few hundred miles later and the engine management light came on and it went into limp mode and wouldn’t come out of it.  I parked it up, but with far too many vehicles to maintain I’ve not got back to it.  
I believe it needs a turbo. My guess is the reduced oil feed has allowed the turbo to overheat and muller it’s bearings etc.  At the time it would start and run, but wouldn’t rev beyond about 2500. 
Since parking it up I’ve pinched the new battery I’d bought for it to use on my van when that one died on me.  And last time I tried to start it to move it it wouldn’t start at all, I’d guess it’s just a main fuse somewhere as it was totally dead. 
It’s always had a small leak into one side of the boot. I sealed round the tailgate glass which seemed to stop it for a while, but it’s come back again. It wasn’t enough to really cause much issue so I never got more involved in sorting it.  
It’s got pretty tidy alloys with a set of almost new tyres. The interior is pretty much spotless.  During lockdown, soon after buying it, I gave it a really good clean including a shampoo and vax of the seats etc.  

It also comes with a towbar with single electrics.  Books and manulas all there too.  

So it will need collecting with a trailer or recovery truck.  But really could make a cheap motor for someone with the desire and ability for just a swap of the turbo.  And a fresh mot. 

EDIT..No longer for sale…at the moment anyway.  As she’s up n running I’m now looking to mot and get her back on the road, 

IMG_3569.jpeg

IMG_3567.jpeg

IMG_3568.jpeg

IMG_0648.png

• 2 weeks later...

So a bit of an update on this.  I popped out this afternoon and stuck a spare battery on it and low and behold the gods were favouring me as she started first go.  So no longer dead. Intially she would rev freely, and sounds really sweat, but once warmed up she’s back in limp mode and won’t rev beyond 3000rpm.  
I’ve given her a hoover out as I hadn’t done so after my last tip run.  And I’ve returned the seats to there upright position etc, and again I’d say she’s a really nice clean car. I’d forgotten I’d also found a set of genuine Vx mats for her too.  
She’s also got a towbar with single electrics.
So unless someone comes and steals it off me for the £400 I’ll be looking for a turbo for her.  Although the wifes got some generic code reader thingy that wifis to her phone so next will be an attempt to check for fault codes. 

IMG_3596.jpeg

£400 and half a tank of fuel sounds alright to me. Just to say my old polo had a thing that would only allow it to rev to 3k when stationary (no engine light on tho) so it may be the same on this and also have some small problem like lambda or whatever. The two things may or may not be associated is all I'm saying. GLWTS

Sometimes clutch down will bypass a soft limiter

I would wager it could have a faulty throttle body (out of many other possibilities of course) - it's very common on these and will put them into limp mode, completely disable the turbo (as if they aren't slow enough already 😅) and won't rev past either 2.5k or 3k. I can't remember exactly but it's either one of those 

They're readily available for £30 or so second hand and not tricky at all to replace. Worth checking in case it is just that

Ok, thanks all, I’ll take a look later. Still need to test for the fault as Engine light permanenty lit. (Thinking about this, I’m pretty sure my last tip run in it was done in limp mode)
I guess sale on hold as it may turn out to be an easier fix.  

11 hours ago, Bmwdumptruck said:

I guess sale on hold 

Killjoy.

I really like this.  I have some perverse attraction toward vehicles that are entirely purposeful; devoid of any fripperies their entire reason for existing is to serve and fulfil duty.  I would certainly enjoy one if I could guarantee it would work as well as anything made in Japan.  Alas, AVAS, but GLWS

2 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

Stupid question, but why would a diesel engine have a throttle body? I want to say I have come across this before on modern diesels...

They have "normally open" throttle bodies as opposed to a petrol's "almost normally closed" , its used for emmisions control mainly to fine tune the amount of intake air coming through based on however much EGR has also been commanded to keep mixtures as optimal as possible. 

Also plays a part in switching the engine off smoothly, acting as an anti shudder valve 👍

Not the right place for this now, but here goes anyway. 
So we’ve put the tester on it and read quite a few faults.  We’ve deleted them all and restarted the car.  Comes up with a glow plug fault and a Map sensor fault.  
So I’ve fitted 3new glow plugs as I’d bought a set some time back. The fourth, no2, is refusing to come out and I’m not prepered to risk snapping it.  And my guess is I’m not the first to do this.  Not really a fault I need to worry about atm.

So to the Map sensor.  Took it off and gave it a good clean with brake cleaner, refitted, deleted fault again. Even drove her down the close opposite and back, still won’t rev more than 3000rpm, and back on the drive initially the engine light had gone out with the reset but then it returned and it’s showing the same fault still.  So I’ve ordered a new one and we’ll see when it turns up.  Not confident. Been here, done this with my lads fabia which went to scrap yesterday after trying all sorts to get it going again. 

Yeah electrical contact cleaner would have been the stuff, not quite as harsh but either way for the money it's worth replacing it. 

Check all the connectors to it as well, that a pin hasn't crushed or wire become brittle.

They're decent cars these and you're halfway there in that it starts runs and drives by the look of things 👍🏼.

And she lives, or at least she seems to.  New Map sensor fitted this afternoon, codes deleted and so far no sign of any new codes and she revs happily past 3000 now.  So now we’ve got to try and get her ready for an mot and sort some new insurance too.  
Gave the headlights a polish as the first part of that. Need to replace a rear light as it appears the lens is coming away. Rather annoying as I’d already replaced it once a while back and this ones gone the same way!! 

New taillight just arrived.  Small job for later.  
Looking to get her insured, but there is a huge BUT.  I just can’t find the last insurance policy which it seems ran out in Nov22!!  I’ve looked everywhere, checked every bank account for the payment and just can’t find it. I know it was insured as I can prove I taxed and Mot’d it during the year.  I’ve found an MIb request form so have sent that in, but no idea how long it’ll take.  This is basically all because my email address was massively scammed resulting in thousands of spam mails every minute….literally.  So we had to shut it down, which now means all the history is pretty much lost. 
Anyway, on another point, I’m thinking it might be wise to run some Diesel cleaner through, it’s 19mile to my mot, but would that be enough to make any difference, bearing in mind I can’t drive much until its legal.  I’m looking at a one week insurance for that.
Any suggestions as to what to use?  I use Archoil in my van, came recommended on the Briskoda site.  I also have some Reddex, but I believe both are for regular use to keep things cleaner. I’m thinking I need something more of a one off blast clean…..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wynns-WY12264-Injector-Additive-Treatment/dp/B00FZLCHT6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1Q9QEYCMGIC0C&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.3zOotbbWF1wCNcJBzPP48TDQv-TpDwg_XYKnvpxNkbT_HyNuriVBN6hH_Yw2B6u3kK17b87_XSmNVi42BCpJVzdeUXb5PCWrG6P-8ILH3vzEnmG41Q93ndbp1p8IcrlgdlHBIPW6x__GgyT9nQo_cCEM8eeXks9dqWXCNDie74GuYmhLGfbKm7RPO28Pr_T_3IqkP9lbSKaxKvSAZwiO8acWwjTPkh-1B-cuMJr275OdIWc40wLtztrwizkeAGJVcM9Q3iI3xEh41QPoadseALhVEkqDzWOWj2VKhJZeTcI.M4CF7LFu60mA7ZprlktYw0iU58u2yzC4pUcRm9go1JY&dib_tag=se&keywords=Diesel%2Bcleaner&qid=1709634658&refinements=p_85%3A20930949031&rnid=20930948031&rps=1&sprefix=diesel%2Bcleaner%2Caps%2C367&sr=8-6&th=1

or Are they all just snake oil? 

16 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Is it still for sale? 

No. I’ve tried to amend the title but could only add a quote below it. Whole thread needs moving really.  (Title amended, not use to forums that allow you to edit days after posting, most lock the posts after 10-20mins)

Since joining this site I’m kinda feeling a bit more energised towards getting it going again. Reading so many great tales of you guys working at getting and keeping old motors going has been a bit of an inspiration.  

Can a mod move it into the normal area?

• Bmwdumptruck changed the title to Astra H 1.7 CDTi Estate. No longer for sale.

Nice to see this back on the road to recovery

I use veygo from Admiral for temp insurance, very easy to do for like £10/12 ish a day. That said work it out on a per annum basis and you'll frighten yourself so I don't like to use it too often. Oh and their £750 excess 😂 

1 hour ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Regarding fuel treatment, the Forte stuff is among the best on the market.  Originally supposed to be ‘trade’ only which was probably just marketing spin but plenty of factors sell it and it works.

That used to make me laugh. I had images of ‘You are going to need to go outside while we apply the Forte, it’s a trade formula so you can’t see it otherwise the magic will go away!’ Good stuff though nonetheless. 

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

That used to make me laugh. I had images of ‘You are going to need to go outside while we apply the Forte, it’s a trade formula so you can’t see it otherwise the magic will go away!’ Good stuff though nonetheless. 

The rep called round once to try and sell me some but they wanted a minimum order of god knows how much of so many different treatments etc and to look at my business set up.

It worked out about a quid a bottle cheaper than I can buy it as I need it from the accessory shop a mile down the road.

They still email and ring me now… 😂

Argh…….. bloody cars.  Replacement tail light was worse than the original. Outer lense had fallen off in the box!  So I spent an hour cleaning and reglueing my one back together.  Might last, probably won’t, but it will do until it’s mot’d. If it passes I’ll treat it to a new pattern one.  Trouble is even with that sorted I’ve no rear side or brake lights working.  
Can’t find any fuses, Haynes and the cars manual suggests there isn’t any for the lights.  Whats the odds on four blown bulbs?  Front sides light up, indicators and fog light fine. And the high level brake works. 
Now there is a towbar relay, and it’s making clicking noises I don’t recall hearing before.  So I’m thinking I might disconnect it and see if it makes any difference. 
One good bit, I might have found the leak. Pulled the rubber tailgate seal and could see water on the upper trim at the back of the headlining. Theres a section each side where multiple panels overlap and are all welded together and it looks like thats where waters getting past the seal.  So I’ve stuck some mastic in the groove of the seal. With luck that will sort that issue out. 
Looking forward to getting this thing back in use.

No further on with the Insurance yet though.