What you getting economy wise?

Bren

On 4/24/2022 at 11:50 AM, wuvvum said:

I found the Twin Air engine in the Ypsilon to be rather thirstier than I expected, and a great deal thirstier than the official figures.  I used to get 48mpg on a run, I think the official figure was something like 76.

I think everyone's shocked at how bad the twinair is, 800cc & 2 cylinders & free RFL suggests all kinds of economic delights, especially if you`ve owned a 126/classic 500 in the past, but you quickly discover that's not the case.. That said, its much, MUCH quicker than the capacity suggests, & the frantic thrumming of the twin adds a lot to their personality, & encourages you to drive them like an Italian, which does nothing for economy! They did have a non-turbo twinair in some countries, which I`m sure are more economical, but less fun. I`d like to know what it does in heavier duty applications, like the Panda 4x4/GP/500x  etc..

My Panda 750 is my most economical motor (not that I`ve used it in 10 years), that always returned 50+ mpg, more like 60 on a run (although 34bhp, a 4 speed box + no aerodynamics or soundproofing doesn't make for peaceful cruising!).

7 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

GF has a Panda Twinair and I'm always absolutely astounded by how long a tank of petrol lasts. Never worked out the fuel economy but it seems excellent

What kind of driving does she do? I`m guessing more runs than I, & fairly gently?

16 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

GF has a Panda Twinair and I'm always absolutely astounded by how long a tank of petrol lasts. Never worked out the fuel economy but it seems excellent

Sorry, just re-read. Depends what your used to I guess, coming from something Merc sized, it would seem much better, but coming from another economy box its a bit of a shock.

I remember when I got my first Jag S-Type (3.0 manual), it did used to average mid 20`s, which, after years of driving XJ`s that returned 13-15mpg, felt like a revolution.

14 minutes ago, uk_senator said:

What kind of driving does she do? I`m guessing more runs than I, & fairly gently?

Only around town really. Pretty rare that it gets out of town. 

Also, it might just be perspective compared to my cars and driving since I haven't worked it out. I just always feel surprised how long a tank lasts in it

On 4/22/2022 at 9:16 PM, Quintus said:

My 2012 Jazz 1.4ES has averaged 46.5 MPG since I bought it nearly five years ago. The best I've ever seen from a tankful is 51. I've run it mostly on Shell VPower, but switched to Tesco 99 more recently, with the odd tank of E10 here and there.

Wife's 2017 Picanto 1.2 auto averages about 37 MPG, which increases to around 40-42 on a long run.

I’ve got a Jazz Mk2 but with the CVT box.  It isn’t great economy wise around town, but on a long run it’s truly excellent. 60 mph is less than 2,000rpm and measuring between fill ups I’ve managed 72 mpg on free moving motorway journeys.  Not bad for a 1.4 petrol auto!

4 minutes ago, LimitedSlippedDisc said:

I’ve got a Jazz Mk2 but with the CVT box.  It isn’t great economy wise around town, but on a long run it’s truly excellent. 60 mph is less than 2,000rpm and measuring between fill ups I’ve managed 72 mpg on free moving motorway journeys.  Not bad for a 1.4 petrol auto!

Here’s the latest, 60 mpg between fills with 4 people in car and a boot full of luggage.

AF7776C9-E10A-4933-AD02-8C08592B576B.png

The Ford Puma mild hybred driving school car does 51mpg. The 3.0 X Type Jag does 24mpg around town and 27mpg on a run, The 3.5 V8 Landrover does 15-17mpg ish, on a run, around town, just don't. Put petrol in, use it and when it runs out, put some more in. Don't look at how few miles you've covered. It's embarrassing to see a grown man cry. 

2000 Puma which is a bit souped up: 38mpg on shit Tesco E10. Will do 42+ on a run but it's noisy so doesn't get many long runs. Hoping for an improvement now I've fixed the cam timing. 

2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero longroof* with Noobtune (ex-@djoptix) 30mpg indicated. Insists on gold-top pez. May be worse than display claims as I think the remap might screw with the calcs. Goes like a stabbed rat though. 

2009 Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm sportbrake*: 40mpg when Mrs Grogee drives it, 50mpg when I drive it. To be fair to my better half, she has to drive in town/traffic and I tend to drive it on longer journeys. 

*triggered the pedants

49 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

The XF's computer reckons it got 42mpg on the run back from Suffolk on Wednesday.  If that's a true indication of what it's going to do then I can see it becoming the default option for long runs (sorry Rover...).

What lumps it got?

14 minutes ago, uk_senator said:

Ew. Ok!

It's not that bad.  3.0 is supposedly a better engine but that punts the insurance up several groups so I'd struggle to get a 3.0 onto my policy.

Somebody said in the Moderns forum that if a 2.7 has lasted this long chances are it's a good 'un...

On 4/12/2022 at 9:57 PM, AndyW201 said:

The 1.8 Kompressor engine the Merc has is notoriously thirsty around the doors, giving low to mid 20s. Being an auto probably doesn't help, but it's worth it for the supercharger whine! It seems happy on Tesco Momentum at the moment.

It's quite a bit better going to work and back though. 2 miles of stop/start then onto the 50 mph dual carriageway, followed by 65mph (on cruise) on the NSL section of the A66 up to Teesside airport gives an average of about 39.

Getting similar figures to your 1.8 Merc from my 1.7 Princess at around 22mpg urban.  Not been driving as far afield as usual because of *waves hands at world in general* but I know from past experience it'll return mid-to-high 30s on a run.  Never quite managed to get 40mpg out of it.  It's not bad for an essentially 70s car really.

• 3 weeks later...

We’ve had a temporary company car for mrs sutty. The 18 plate Astra diesel has gone, and we have a 20 plate Toyota RAV4 2.5 petrol hybrid. Cvt gearbox. I wanted to see how economical this car was also took it down the A34 from Stoke to Stafford and back and this was the result

15F275B7-7E76-4A19-B199-A28023FE7BF2.thumb.jpeg.d4be0e948d110cd0221639bf2993ab70.jpeg

impressive. 

57 average (calculated, though the computer is never far out) over a tank in the Octavia which included 2 weeks on Norfolk commuting duty and a drive down to Epping station and back via the M11.

Chuffed with that.

13 hours ago, Billy - Medhurst said:

20220514_194140.jpg.662bfec19e25bdb3347fe9e711fe4aea.jpg

Have you worked that out the old fashioned way? My was indicating 59mpg but calculating it it came out to 53 and that seems pretty consistent. Unless it's leaking derv somewhere...

Currently running my new xjr to work and back to get a feel for it. Indicated 21mpg. Given it's a 90 mile round commute I won't be doing that past this week

Combo 1.3cdti was doing 35Mpg around town ( i do lots of 5miles or less journeys) ..

removed roof rack and bulkhead and now get 41mpg on same journeys averaged over 350 miles