The golden buttery base Astra

trigger

That’s ace! Kinda fond memories of my mums friend having a 2 door hatch in hearing aid beige, B40 NRF was its reg. it got cubed about 15-20 years ago as it was so badly rotten it was too expensive to repair for her. Think it had about 25k on it too. Good luck with it, looking forward to updates! 

2 hours ago, dome said:

What a honey! My uncle had a 4 door Opel Kadett saloon this shape in a lovely orange colour with I think the same headlights, I always wanted it as my first car.

My uncle owned an X plate 4 door in a terracotta orange back in the day too. His was the rectangular headlamps though, which I assume most others were by X plate. 

Edit- Just checked and SFC 827X was registered in 1981. 

@trigger Who offered the car in the competition - was it a local dealership or something? I wonder if they're still going? 

Definitely the most excellent car to appear on here since the base Sierra.

What a great back story to the car as well.

As you well know, old Vauxhalls are catching up with Fords so I think you paid a fair price. I'm glad you got it and not someone who will just stick a Saab engine in it.

Well bought.

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

Lovely car. I always thought the boot setup was weird with the external hinges and looking like it should be a hatchback.

The saloon appears to have been an afterthought. I have a little book which was sent to the dealers before the Kadett was presented to the general public, meant to be a guide on how to present and sell the new model. The hatchback is, roughly translated, "most in line with our new fwd Kadett concept for the 1980s" and should be the preferred suggestion to most prospective buyers, while the saloon "is to be offered to our loyal and more traditional customers", which is an eufemism for elderly buyers I think. 

IMG_20220320_130944.thumb.jpg.f4741e2fd613ca7bc03b1a1981147000.jpg

44 minutes ago, D.E said:

The saloon appears to have been an afterthought. I have a little book which was sent to the dealers before the Kadett was presented to the general public, meant to be a guide on how to present and sell the new model. The hatchback is, roughly translated, "most in line with our new fwd Kadett concept for the 1980s" and should be the preferred suggestion to most prospective buyers, while the saloon "is to be offered to our loyal and more traditional customers", which is an eufemism for elderly buyers I think. 

IMG_20220320_130944.thumb.jpg.f4741e2fd613ca7bc03b1a1981147000.jpg

Intriguing... I guess the whole round headlight and non-hatch would figure with that target market. What an interesting thought though- to make a few models more old-fashioned from the outset just to keep the oldies from having a coronary when replacing their Chevettes with a posh new model. 

13 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Redtop = barrying, so.....

No 😛 

obvs a joke relating to the fact its got the old ohv in it

never driven one with that in it only the later ohc cars wonder what theyre like

sound like a chevette?

im not looking at the nice one in serbia that someone posted in the ebay thread :D

28 minutes ago, hairnet said:

never driven one with that in it only the later ohc cars wonder what theyre like

sound like a chevette?

im not looking at the nice one in serbia that someone posted in the ebay thread :D

The 1200 was more or less the same engine as the ones in earlier Opel models dating back to the 1960s. My '84 is a 1200, the '83 a 1300. The 1200 is louder, yes it does sound a bit more old fashioned. 

20 minutes ago, hairnet said:

sound like a chevette?

I know hence the '😛' .... 😉👍