AS communal Rover 75 / MG ZT lickers thread

Cookiesouwest

I did think that but I've traced the wiring as far as I can (not very far in a 75 without taking the door off) and I couldn't see anything obvious.

The odd thing is that the windows stopped working in a cold snap the winter before last, then they started working again and were fine for a while before packing up once more.  So I'm wondering whether it's something to do with the body control ECU.  I tried substituting a known good one and that made no difference, but I think they need coding into the car - hence the desire for a T4 session.

Went out at lunchtime with the multimeter and can confirm that both plugs to the switch pack have power to them.  Of the three remaining wires, one is the earth, one is the feed to the LEDs (which work) and one is the wire to the BCU.  It's therefore definitely either the link to the BCU or the BCU itself which is causing the problem.

I could try tracking down the other end of the wire where it joins the BCU and checking for continuity, but the leads on my multimeter won't stretch quite that far.  I'll have to see if I can borrow another multimeter, or make up an extension lead if I can find a suitably small alligator clip.

I still have something of a soft-spot for the 75, so going up to Windermere yesterday I was amused to be following one in my Jag.  Then today, going from there to Keswick, I met three more!  And a ZT when we got back to Barrow.  No pics, mostly because my camera died.

Fitted this today.

20230324_162807.thumb.jpg.1fbacb995ced04b17c26619b03f27270.jpg

Thought it was worth it for the sake of 25 quid - the EGR really was manky and cleaning it out would have been a properly messy job.  I also took out the MAF sensor and gave it a clean.  It seems to run better than before with the MAF plugged in, but it might still need replacing.  I've got to go out in the car on Sunday morning so I'm going to do the outward journey with the MAF unplugged, then plug it back in for the run home to see how much difference there is.

My combined Captain Tolley's / silicone sealant cure for the leak around the GPS antenna seems to have worked - the headlining is now dry and there's no sign of water ingress into the boot.  Unfortunately the previous leak seems to have knackered the sat nav computer - it powers up and makes spinny noises but it won't read the disc and it won't spit it out either - the eject button doesn't do anything.  I'm in two minds whether to try and find another DVD computer at a sensible price or whether to junk it and treat the car to an aftermarket Android unit.

I downloaded the TOAF app onto my phone and had a bit of a play.  The BCU appears to be fine - TOAF allows you to "ping" its various features and I was able to wind the driver's door window up and down using the app.  So it looks like it's definitely a broken wire between the switch pack and the BCU.  If I can find where the wire goes into the BCU (apparently it's pin A33 but helpfully the pins on the box aren't actually labelled...) then I might attempt a bodge repair using a length of wire and some Scotchloks.

I fitted a new lower coolant rail to mine today.

As you can see the old one was quite rusty:

Screenshot_20230325-150253_YouTube.thumb.jpg.f724ebf10b3760d5698109b21c4543c6.jpg

It goes right up beside the inner wing and was overall an arse of a job to get out.

Got there, old next to rust-free second hand:

Screenshot_20230325-150337_YouTube.thumb.jpg.642c970a786179ef5fd732b695099847.jpg

No picture of it on as I was contorted to fuck lying under the car during this job. You'll just have to trust me.

Took it a run up the back to bleed the cooling system and took a couple of pictures as I haven't done that in ages.

20230325_144704.thumb.jpg.2d4b97d759301d2f4921347bd0a4a3b1.jpg20230325_144720.thumb.jpg.d494cd472141d0608a4299b0cb709b84.jpg

50 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Where did you get the cable? Are you on Android? I could use that.

I bought it off eBay.

s-l1600.jpg

Not the cheapest but it's the one that the forums seemed to concur that it actually worked, and it seems good so far...  I'm on Android, just downloaded the app from the play store and bought a USB-C to USB adaptor to plug the cable into the phone.

• 3 weeks later...

The 75 has now gone to a retirement home. At least, hopefully, it won't end up scrapped.

Took it out for its final voyage on Saturday. Gonna miss that car.  You ever had a car you have had an emotional connection to? It might be because it's about the only car I've ever bought my better half has liked 🤣 

IMG-20230409-WA0004.jpeg

20230408_192330.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My 75 turns 20 in a couple of weeks, so I've bought it a few presents.  First was an updated sat nav DVD - I'd actually bought one a few years ago (genuine BMW disc) but the drive always struggled to read it so I ended up just keeping the old maps.  This one is a copy someone has made at home but it works fine - and the car no longer thinks I'm driving across fields on my way to the office.

I also bought it a MAF sensor.  That was less successful.  Someone on the Rover 75 forums said that they thought an E39 BMW 530D MAF would work in a 75, so imagine my excitement when I found someone on eBay selling genuine Bosch MAFs for 25 quid.  I fitted it on Thursday night, and it doesn't work at all.  It physically fits the car, but there's absolutely zero power below 2,000rpm and even when the turbo eventually kicks in it gets confused if I keep my foot down for too long.  So that's been removed.  The engine was definitely quieter with it fitted though, I will say that...

The last thing I've bought is 5 litres of the fancy Jatco ATF that these use - I don't know when the car last had a gearbox service but it certainly hasn't had one in my ownership.  The gearbox is actually mostly behaving OK so I don't think I'll go overboard and attempt a full fluid change, I'll just do the "standard" change which drains out about 4 litres.

The other job on the list is to take the car to somewhere that does aircon regassing and get them to pressure test the system.  If it seems OK then I'll probably pull my finger out and get a new aircon belt fitted and some R134A squirted in, but if the system is leaking from every join then it's probably not worth the hassle...

So R75 fans. This car ticks all boxes for Mrs Cookie. But I'm struggling to come up with a price to offer. I've spoken to seller, most of what he says in advert checks out.

Rather worried its a manual, but car seems to have been very well looked after. Just can't bring myself to pay 2k for it.

So what do you think its worth?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325637667267?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=zt3CURkfT9K&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=lg2a8Y5lQdm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

20230513_214529.thumb.jpg.7743b11fdebcee848b5c525063f01a44.jpg

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to AS communal Rover 75 / MG ZT lickers thread
1 minute ago, andyberg said:

Shirley worth a bit less coz of the write off? I know it was minor, but still a write off? Nice looking car though

And 190 k on the clock !

Just can't bring myself to pay 2k for a car with that mileage. I know the engine has done less miles but the rest of the car has gone a long way.

11 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

And 190 k on the clock !

Just can't bring myself to pay 2k for a car with that mileage. I know the engine has done less miles but the rest of the car has gone a long way.

Dare I say, as quoted by a knowledgeable soul

" 75s don't sell, only enthusiast's want them. "

Low ball him, he may not get another offer.

17 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

So R75 fans. This car ticks all boxes for Mrs Cookie. But I'm struggling to come up with a price to offer. I've spoken to seller, most of what he says in advert checks out.

Rather worried its a manual, but car seems to have been very well looked after. Just can't bring myself to pay 2k for it.

So what do you think its worth?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325637667267?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=zt3CURkfT9K&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=lg2a8Y5lQdm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

20230513_214529.thumb.jpg.7743b11fdebcee848b5c525063f01a44.jpg

Eek, I think some sentimental value has been added to that price. 

It's probably worth closer to £1000-1200 I'd say, and actually <£1000 to me. 

Trouble is, it's a case of the seller knowing it's a decent one but any prospective buyer not recognising it as any different to any other one out there. And unless there is any sort of guarantee (which I imagine there won't be) - this premium is just what happens with overpriced cars that never end up selling. 

Whilst it's probably worth £1200 it might be quite insulting to offer it, but I'm not saying you should pay any more either

It looks clean, but a diesel manual, especially with high mileage, and even more so with the write off marker, will never be desirable. Ever 

Not worth it.

High miles diesel manual. There's about 50 of these for sale at any one time although mainly in Rover guise.

The standard spec of ZTs is absolute dugmeat aswell, unless the first owner really ticked all the boxes. No buttons on the centre console below the climate control panel (at least it has that) indicates this.

The advisory for suspension arms in 2021 seemed to go away, hopefully they've been replaced. Interesting about the replacement engine as well. It really takes an absolute trumpet to bugger up an M47R, wonder what went wrong.

Maybe wait a few weeks and if its still hanging around, go and see it and chuck in a cheeky offer of £1400.

2 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

It looks clean, but a diesel manual, especially with high mileage, and even more so with the write off marker, will never be desirable. Ever 

Sorry, what I meant and should have said was "will always be the least desirable" 

20 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Not worth it.

High miles diesel manual. There's about 50 of these for sale at any one time although mainly in Rover guise.

The standard spec of ZTs is absolute dugmeat aswell, unless the first owner really ticked all the boxes. No buttons on the centre console below the climate control panel (at least it has that) indicates this.

The advisory for suspension arms in 2021 seemed to go away, hopefully they've been replaced. Interesting about the replacement engine as well. It really takes an absolute trumpet to bugger up an M47R, wonder what went wrong.

Maybe wait a few weeks and if its still hanging around, go and see it and chuck in a cheeky offer of £1400.

I would pay 1200. Maybe 1400 but it would have to be bloody amazing in the metal.

Looks like its got factory zenons, so at least one box got ticked.

Suspension arms were replaced, straight after the mot.

21 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Sorry, what I meant and should have said was "will always be the least desirable" 

I understand. Not thinking of buying for investment.

Mrs Cookie loves the MG zeds, more than any other car. This would be to make her happy.

In my head I'm 1k to 1.2k. If its bloody immaculate and the clutch / gearbox ok, I could go a bit more.

To any enthusiast its worthless and always will be.

Just now, Cookiesouwest said:

I understand. Not thinking of buying for investment.

Mrs Cookie loves the MG zeds, more than any other car. This would be to make her happy.

In my head I'm 1k to 1.2k. If its bloody immaculate and the clutch / gearbox ok, I could go a bit more.

To any enthusiast its worthless and always will be.

Like split pin said, play the waiting game, both to see if you find another one and because I doubt it's going anywhere else either, and your offer might be a bit more tempting then.