Jump to content

The grumpy thread


Recommended Posts

Posted

Last night of the proms. I know it’s an upper class wankfest but it’s the  one occasion when you can wave a Union flag without being accused of being a racist but what did we see. Almost entirely EU flags. WTF?

By all means have Scottish/ Welsh / NI flags, and I don’t  mind foreign flags if you’re a tourist, but this must have been orchestrated . Even if we were still in the EU, it’s nothing to do with them. But we’re not so why? Presumably the BBC are behind it. 
I’m not particularly nationalistic and certainly not a Reform voter before anybody accuses me, but this got me really annoyed.

Posted

Britain, or rather England must be the only country in the world where displaying the national flag is considered A Bad Thing. 

If I were younger I'd move to Poland. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Posted
3 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Last night of the proms. I know it’s an upper class wankfest but it’s the  one occasion when you can wave a Union flag without being accused of being a racist but what did we see. Almost entirely EU flags. WTF?

By all means have Scottish/ Welsh / NI flags, and I don’t  mind foreign flags if you’re a tourist, but this must have been orchestrated . Even if we were still in the EU, it’s nothing to do with them. But we’re not so why? Presumably the BBC are behind it. 
I’m not particularly nationalistic and certainly not a Reform voter before anybody accuses me, but this got me really annoyed.

 

 I saw that too & my exact thought over the EU flags was "bugger off with that artificial flag why don't they, it doesn't belong there on this night!"  

  Also, is it me being an old fashioned old stuffie, but does anyone else think the Union Jack looks much more dignified being held still rather than being windmilled around like a toddler on a sugar rush.

  • Agree 3
Posted
On 09/09/2026 at 14:59, Morris 63 said:

You get a better* class of shit parking in Waitrose. 

20260909_094739.jpg

And snacks for the journey too

 

signal-2026-09-12-19-45-29-525.jpg

Posted

There's something deeply frustrating about putting in the hard work to grow and improve as a person, only to be confronted by a world full of people who refuse to.

For example, the old bloke at the bus stop yesterday who was screaming in my face after I asked him politely to stand a bit further away from where I was sitting because the wind was blowing his cigarette ash and smoke in my face.

The internet isn't much of an escape either, alas.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Posted

I'm planning to replace, "fuck off then" with,

"I really am most terribly sorry".

In my regular selection of daily phrases. Someone once said it to me and I found myself completely disarmed. Now that I'm getting a little older, I feel that I will be able to pull it off with adequate conviction & sincerity.

Posted
1 hour ago, barefoot said:

I'm planning to replace, "fuck off then" with,

"I really am most terribly sorry".

In my regular selection of daily phrases. Someone once said it to me and I found myself completely disarmed. Now that I'm getting a little older, I feel that I will be able to pull it off with adequate conviction & sincerity.

Does that apply to those who attach names to cars? 😀

Posted

Scratching something you shouldn't scratch is like having sex with your cousin, you know you shouldn't, but it feels too good to stop.

  • Haha 3
Posted
2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Does that apply to those who attach names to cars? 😀

I am most terribly sorry to inform you, old chap, but it does not.

Therefore, you may go forth and multiply.

and me ‘cos I am down the West Country driving a car called Cilla 🤪

  • Haha 2
Posted
1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Scratching something you shouldn't scratch is like having sex with your cousin, you know you shouldn't, but it feels too good to stop.

The voice of experience? 🤣

Posted
1 minute ago, High Jetter said:

The voice of experience? 🤣

Meant to give people a laugh.

But I do have terrible itch on my leg.

Posted
2 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Meant to give people a laugh.

But I do have terrible itch on my leg.

It did. Norfolk folk might rise up in arms. Each others 😀

Posted
2 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I am most terribly sorry to inform you, old chap, but it does not.

Therefore, you may go forth and multiply.

and me ‘cos I am down the West Country driving a car called Cilla 🤪

I didn't ask you! 😝

Posted

Taking son & DIL to the airport, message on the screen to rotate the tyres!

Never seen that before.  It has always seemed like a US thing and I have never done it, just replace tyres when worn.  They aren't.

Posted
4 hours ago, myglaren said:

Taking son & DIL to the airport, message on the screen to rotate the tyres!

Driving it will rotate them. 🤣

It used to be A THING, but apart from moving half-worn fronts to the back on FWD cars I thought it had died out.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Posted
1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Driving it will rotate them. 🤣

It used to be A THING, but apart from moving half-worn fronts to the back on FWD cars I thought it had died out.

I remember my Dad getting me to help him rotate the tyres on his 1980 Cortina estate company car. It was a company car, why bother? He also declined a new, higher spec, car on his promotion in 1982, said he’d just keep the Cortina until it was due replacement. I think it paid off though, the new car was an A reg Carlton estate, definitely better than the GL Cortina, he’d have got, much as I love them.

  • Like 2
Posted

Looking at another forum and someone has posted currently shitting myself -fire

And posts a pic of smoke from the front of the house and its not far away

He describing helicopters and bomberos and shit

If its that bad why are you still there

Wtf

Posted
18 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Driving it will rotate them. 🤣

It used to be A THING, but apart from moving half-worn fronts to the back on FWD cars I thought it had died out.

Still massive in the states, along with oil changes every 10 mintues

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Posted

Just changed the interlinked smoke alarms , a few years late but hey . 

Yesterday I noticed they were not using the 9v battery , only worked on mains , that and the replace by date was yonks ago .

4 New ones , 10 year life , 10 year battery , radio linking , piece of piss to setup and fit .

But the 3 old ones , the builder had put up , then plastered around them , so the upstairs ones showed bare plasterboard when removed ... And a old paint patch in the hallway ... 

Spent today sorting out the plaster and paint ... Both times I went out for gear at the shops .. it pissed down .... 

Posted
36 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Still massive in the states, along with oil changes every 10 mintues

I once read a US source that claimed that the usual oil change there was a top-up and a good wiping around the sump plug.

Posted
1 hour ago, cort1977 said:

Still massive in the states, along with oil changes every 10 mintues

Dealers have bumped them to 15mins now due to a literal shortage of oil 

  • Haha 2
Posted

I needed a break, and managed to pinch ten days off work at fairly short notice and decided to try Scottish highlands in my camper. It's not school holidays, it won't be that busy, he said to himself. 

Admittedly it's probably because I don't know the place (and the places to avoid) but three days up here have been basically a fucking nightmare tourist trap that I've driven over fourteen hours from home to get to.  I live in the Peak District, if I wanted to mingle with a load of belming idiots I've got mam tor and Castleton on my doorstep. 

What a let down, I'm gutted. Beautiful scenery ruined by hoards of Americans. 

Ferry over to Harris in the morning, maybe that'll improve things. 

Posted
55 minutes ago, cobblers said:

I needed a break, and managed to pinch ten days off work at fairly short notice and decided to try Scottish highlands in my camper. It's not school holidays, it won't be that busy, he said to himself. 

Admittedly it's probably because I don't know the place (and the places to avoid) but three days up here have been basically a fucking nightmare tourist trap that I've driven over fourteen hours from home to get to.  I live in the Peak District, if I wanted to mingle with a load of belming idiots I've got mam tor and Castleton on my doorstep. 

What a let down, I'm gutted. Beautiful scenery ruined by hoards of Americans. 

Ferry over to Harris in the morning, maybe that'll improve things. 

It's soul crushing, but I can no longer do van holidays in my own country. A combination of the sheer numbers of people combined with shocking behaviour of idiots in vans means not only is it unpleasant, I feel extremely unwelcome.

It's over publicised. Everyone wants a neat Instagram slice of what is in reality a very small country with crap roads and not many facilities. All of the 'look at this secret I found' and then broadcasting it to the entire planet means the few quiet bits have been totally trashed.

Harris should be better if you stay away from the Lewis touristy pish.

Edit: ten days is enough to enjoy a proper unwind on the continent, where the population density is much lower, the roads are better and there's a lot of absolutely anonymous places that haven't been trashed.

Posted

Wife's 1-series in for service at BMW. Asked them to look at the windscreen washers which puff out a minuscule amount of fluid and then nothing. Apparently I've used the wrong fluid (I did not know this is a 'thing') for this car, so not covered under warranty. Requires tank, filter and pipe clean out before being refilled with BMW washer fluid. That's a £195 mistake I won't make again!

Posted
33 minutes ago, juular said:

It's soul crushing, but I can no longer do van holidays in my own country. A combination of the sheer numbers of people combined with shocking behaviour of idiots in vans means not only is it unpleasant, I feel extremely unwelcome.

It's over publicised. Everyone wants a neat Instagram slice of what is in reality a very small country with crap roads and not many facilities. All of the 'look at this secret I found' and then broadcasting it to the entire planet means the few quiet bits have been totally trashed.

Harris should be better if you stay away from the Lewis touristy pish.

Edit: ten days is enough to enjoy a proper unwind on the continent, where the population density is much lower, the roads are better and there's a lot of absolutely anonymous places that haven't been trashed.

I'm honestly in two minds whether to just nock it on the head, go back to my last campsite next to the Ciullin and work my way back home tomorrow and stop at the few nice places in and around north yorks and then the peak district that I have found over the years. Granted they're dotted around the place in a 45 minute radius of home, but they're quiet.

I'm sure I could have made better of it if I'd have planned things better, but you're right - there's just far too many people here trying to take advantage of anything "nice" that's marked on the map.

My mate came up last year and recommended a few places he visited and every one has been a 30 minute nightmare trying to find somewhere to park followed by being led through a gift shop. 

He recommended "the Storr" which is a nice big old rock. I thought on a rainy foggy wednesday morning it'd be quiet.

WhatsAppImage2026-09-16at12_27_14.jpeg.25bccf78b8668412acf9e04e6697c1c8.jpeg

 

WhatsAppImage2026-09-16at12_37_59.jpeg.659bf0c19d7b6999352783f5d96ec040.jpeg

I paid six quid to park. Spend 15 minutes walking up before getting so fed up with the hoards of people with bluetooth speakers etc I gave it up as a bad job.

My own fault for being naive, I suppose. Like those people that go to blackpool on holiday because it was nice when they were a kid.

 

Posted
36 minutes ago, cobblers said:

He recommended "the Storr" which is a nice big old rock. I thought on a rainy foggy wednesday morning it'd be quiet.

WhatsAppImage2026-09-16at12_27_14.jpeg.25bccf78b8668412acf9e04e6697c1c8.jpeg

 

WhatsAppImage2026-09-16at12_37_59.jpeg.659bf0c19d7b6999352783f5d96ec040.jpeg

I paid six quid to park. Spend 15 minutes walking up before getting so fed up with the hoards of people with bluetooth speakers etc I gave it up as a bad job.

My own fault for being naive, I suppose. Like those people that go to blackpool on holiday because it was nice when they were a kid.

 

That's even worse than I expected.

13 or so years ago I did that walk during July. The car park was a mud layby that held 5 cars and I got a space no problem. No need to pay.

A friend and I did the walk and saw 2 other hillwalkers who were locals.

We then went to the Quiraing and again only saw a few cars parked and not a single soul on the entire 3 hour walk.

The last time I went to the Quiraing was a few years ago and the car park had been expanded to take 60 odd cars and I couldn't find a space. There were nine tour buses.

It really isn't sustainable.

Posted
1 hour ago, cobblers said:

I'm honestly in two minds whether to just nock it on the head, go back to my last campsite next to the Ciullin and work my way back home tomorrow and stop at the few nice places in and around north yorks and then the peak district that I have found over the years. Granted they're dotted around the place in a 45 minute radius of home, but they're quiet.

I'm sure I could have made better of it if I'd have planned things better, but you're right - there's just far too many people here trying to take advantage of anything "nice" that's marked on the map.

My mate came up last year and recommended a few places he visited and every one has been a 30 minute nightmare trying to find somewhere to park followed by being led through a gift shop. 

He recommended "the Storr" which is a nice big old rock. I thought on a rainy foggy wednesday morning it'd be quiet.

WhatsAppImage2026-09-16at12_27_14.jpeg.25bccf78b8668412acf9e04e6697c1c8.jpeg     WhatsAppImage2026-09-16at12_37_59.jpeg.659bf0c19d7b6999352783f5d96ec040.jpeg

I paid six quid to park. Spend 15 minutes walking up before getting so fed up with the hoards of people with bluetooth speakers etc I gave it up as a bad job.

My own fault for being naive, I suppose. Like those people that go to blackpool on holiday because it was nice when they were a kid.

 

 

It's often the case nowadays, particularly as private travel is so easy for retirees.   

It's probably of no humour to you, but there's a road sign coming into Ipswich (where I presently live) which says "you're not in traffic, you are traffic" .. It's something I try to remember as I use my car.   

The irony is that people tend to go to the same get-away places because they're well known and have easy access.  You might plan your future away-time with that in mind.  Your comment and photos illustrate it perfectly..  Out of all the thousands of miles of foot n' bridle paths across the north of England and the Highlands - those which are going to be busiest are . . . those with convenient parking, public conveniences, and are just a 15 minute walk .. along a paved path.!   Who's to blame - the place you choose to visit even has a tourist coach park !  😱   

Yet all around .. are hillsides and vales, and coastal paths with barely a soul on them.  If there's an hour's walk, even to reach that path, then it's unlikely to be busy. O.S. maps and walker's guide books (paper rather than internet) are helpful in finding them.  I accept there may be restrictions as to where you may go, but there is also a vast network of countryside paths (some signposted, others not) which are free to enjoy. 

I went to two events this past weekend ..and enjoyed them because I spoke to people, or otherwise just sat and watched families and friends enjoying themselves.  I deliberately stopped and talked with some .. because they were sitting alone.  It's a mindset thing..  giving rather than being insular. 

I also tend to go to places with a purpose.  I'm into high-medieval history - so castles and priories are interesting to me.  I often visit ruins which are not very touristy.  In any case my mind is absorbed in the history, looking for evidence of the ancient lifestyle and crafts, seeing how things were built, and why they were there ? .. and how the weather and nature is constantly reclaiming the landscape. There's inevitably wildlife, insects, birds and fauna, to attract my attention.  When my mind is full of thoughts .. I barely notice things that might upset the experience.  I mostly don't like stately homes, in-part because they're full of day-tourists ..with no real interest in history. 

I'm not on your case, but just perhaps ; because you went to the Storr without such a purpose .. your mind was empty  ..ie., particularly open to the many annoyances that people bring with them. ?  You wanted to get away, but you went to a place where others go to.  Avoid coach parking and toilet facilities, and you're half way to finding tranquillity.  That's just an hour away along a very poorly signposted path. B)

Posted
1 hour ago, Bfg said:

 

It's often the case nowadays, particularly as private travel is so easy for retirees.   

It's probably of no humour to you, but there's a road sign coming into Ipswich (where I presently live) which says "you're not in traffic, you are traffic" .. It's something I try to remember as I use my car.   

The irony is that people tend to go to the same get-away places because they're well known and have easy access.  You might plan your future away-time with that in mind.  Your comment and photos illustrate it perfectly..  Out of all the thousands of miles of foot n' bridle paths across the north of England and the Highlands - those which are going to be busiest are . . . those with convenient parking, public conveniences, and are just a 15 minute walk .. along a paved path.!   Who's to blame - the place you choose to visit even has a tourist coach park !  😱   

Yet all around .. are hillsides and vales, and coastal paths with barely a soul on them.  If there's an hour's walk, even to reach that path, then it's unlikely to be busy. O.S. maps and walker's guide books (paper rather than internet) are helpful in finding them.  I accept there may be restrictions as to where you may go, but there is also a vast network of countryside paths (some signposted, others not) which are free to enjoy. 

I went to two events this past weekend ..and enjoyed them because I spoke to people, or otherwise just sat and watched families and friends enjoying themselves.  I deliberately stopped and talked with some .. because they were sitting alone.  It's a mindset thing..  giving rather than being insular. 

I also tend to go to places with a purpose.  I'm into high-medieval history - so castles and priories are interesting to me.  I often visit ruins which are not very touristy.  In any case my mind is absorbed in the history, looking for evidence of the ancient lifestyle and crafts, seeing how things were built, and why they were there ? .. and how the weather and nature is constantly reclaiming the landscape. There's inevitably wildlife, insects, birds and fauna, to attract my attention.  When my mind is full of thoughts .. I barely notice things that might upset the experience.  I mostly don't like stately homes, in-part because they're full of day-tourists ..with no real interest in history. 

I'm not on your case, but just perhaps ; because you went to the Storr without such a purpose .. your mind was empty  ..ie., particularly open to the many annoyances that people bring with them. ?  You wanted to get away, but you went to a place where others go to.  Avoid coach parking and toilet facilities, and you're half way to finding tranquillity.  That's just an hour away along a very poorly signposted path. B)

Totally with you  - It's my own cockup here really, I should know better.

It's taken me years living in/around the peak district to find the nice places, learn the places to avoid etc. Quite foolishly, I just presumed that there would be some sort of "off the beaten track" places to be found here, like there are in the Peaks.

But Skye in particular seems to just be a single road round the perimeter, with anything else being single track with passing places. Everywhere a bit interesting has a "NO PARKING" sign up, presumably because the resource was abused/worn out by people before, and I haven't had time/experience/contacts to find the real gems.

The whole vibe is that the locals absolutely hate the tourist lot and I really don't blame them.

I've cancelled the ferry and campsite to Harris - I spoke to a few people who had just returned and they said it was just as busy as it is here, if not worse.

I'm making my way back down to more familiar places tomorrow. Never meet your heroes!

 

 

  • Like 2
Posted
1 hour ago, Bfg said:

 

It's often the case nowadays, particularly as private travel is so easy for retirees.   

It's probably of no humour to you, but there's a road sign coming into Ipswich (where I presently live) which says "you're not in traffic, you are traffic" .. It's something I try to remember as I use my car.   

The irony is that people tend to go to the same get-away places because they're well known and have easy access.  You might plan your future away-time with that in mind.  Your comment and photos illustrate it perfectly..  Out of all the thousands of miles of foot n' bridle paths across the north of England and the Highlands - those which are going to be busiest are . . . those with convenient parking, public conveniences, and are just a 15 minute walk .. along a paved path.!   Who's to blame - the place you choose to visit even has a tourist coach park !  😱   

Yet all around .. are hillsides and vales, and coastal paths with barely a soul on them.  If there's an hour's walk, even to reach that path, then it's unlikely to be busy. O.S. maps and walker's guide books (paper rather than internet) are helpful in finding them.  I accept there may be restrictions as to where you may go, but there is also a vast network of countryside paths (some signposted, others not) which are free to enjoy. 

I went to two events this past weekend ..and enjoyed them because I spoke to people, or otherwise just sat and watched families and friends enjoying themselves.  I deliberately stopped and talked with some .. because they were sitting alone.  It's a mindset thing..  giving rather than being insular. 

I also tend to go to places with a purpose.  I'm into high-medieval history - so castles and priories are interesting to me.  I often visit ruins which are not very touristy.  In any case my mind is absorbed in the history, looking for evidence of the ancient lifestyle and crafts, seeing how things were built, and why they were there ? .. and how the weather and nature is constantly reclaiming the landscape. There's inevitably wildlife, insects, birds and fauna, to attract my attention.  When my mind is full of thoughts .. I barely notice things that might upset the experience.  I mostly don't like stately homes, in-part because they're full of day-tourists ..with no real interest in history. 

I'm not on your case, but just perhaps ; because you went to the Storr without such a purpose .. your mind was empty  ..ie., particularly open to the many annoyances that people bring with them. ?  You wanted to get away, but you went to a place where others go to.  Avoid coach parking and toilet facilities, and you're half way to finding tranquillity.  That's just an hour away along a very poorly signposted path. B)

I agree in principle. Your ideas match my own when I go somewhere new. I tend not to follow any guide as that only leads you where all the other people are going. 

The sad thing about Scotland is that it's so small and so heavily visited that there is no such thing as 'off the beaten track' any more. Every single bit of countryside and waterfall and ruin seems to appear in multiple guides and YouTube videos about 'secret places'.

I used to have some really great hidden gems that I frequented, down single track roads that don't lead to anything interesting, or on the outskirts of unremarkable places where nobody wants to visit.

If I return to those places that previously I'd be guaranteed to be the only person there for days on end, there are now twenty campervans there, with kids running around and barbecues lit.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...