The grumpy thread

Well the last four weeks have been brutally cold here in Bavaria, but on Tuesday it warmed a bit. That’s about the same time I couldn’t help but notice lots of small spots that hurt like hell on the right side of my head. This morning I was awake at 2am unable to sleep any longer, right side of my head covered in pustules and my ear swollen up twice the size of the other.............a visit to the doctor followed at 8.30. ............Apparently I’ve got shingles.......oh fucking joy. Medication of the strongest type has been issued, and after another visit to the doctor scheduled for Monday morning it’s looking like a visit to the hospital for a brief spell in one of their beds unless there is dramatic improvement........ this shit hurts like fuck.....just bloody wonderful.......

6 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

On the land line "Hello this is an automated message from Amazon..."

Lately we are getting these two or three times a day and as it's only my 93 yr old mum who uses the land line to ring us, I can't just ignore it, lift the receiver and drop it back down or shout "fuck offfff" at the top of my voice into it. Is there a way to block these calls?

I've been getting these lately on my mobile, always from a slightly different mobile number. They spoof the number so you can't easily block them as they change every time.

If it makes you feel any better over the last week or so I've had one of them threaten to blow up my house, one of them literally scream at me and another tell me he knows where I live (but couldn't provide an address).

I make a sport of upsetting them and wasting their time. The longer they're on the phone with me the less time they can spend scamming someone who doesn't know any better.

15 hours ago, Floatylight said:

We've got the thing where all calls are screened, when someone calls they have to say who they are before it rings our end it seems like dodgy calls have dropped right off, you can add friends and family to a safe list so they come straight through..

My parents have something that they type in the numbers of the people they know, and if another number comes it, goes straight to automatically asking for thier name, phone number and business. 

My mother in law phoned them before Christmas and being an 82 year old, got all flustered and never got through.  

Apparently my numbers come up son's mobile, and son's landline.  My sister has been trying to move them into what's app video calling on thier mobiles, but like all old people they want to keep them safe in a draw, turned off, with the battery flat in case of emergency, wrapped in bubble wrap..... 

To be fair to my dad he takes his if he's going out and my sister programmed it to connect to his car, so I've had him sound incredibly confused to be speaking to me whilst driving. 

2 hours ago, New POD said:

My parents have something that they type in the numbers of the people they know, and if another number comes it, goes straight to automatically asking for thier name, phone number and business. 

My mother in law phoned them before Christmas and being an 82 year old, got all flustered and never got through.  

Apparently my numbers come up son's mobile, and son's landline.  My sister has been trying to move them into what's app video calling on thier mobiles, but like all old people they want to keep them safe in a draw, turned off, with the battery flat in case of emergency, wrapped in bubble wrap..... 

To be fair to my dad he takes his if he's going out and my sister programmed it to connect to his car, so I've had him sound incredibly confused to be speaking to me whilst driving. 

Buy them one of those alexa things?

19 hours ago, bobdisk said:

If I get any of those scammers call, I blow a football referees whistle as hard as I can when scammer starts talking. They dont call again! 

I think it's an urban myth that this actually does anything. It may have done back in the mists of time when technology was much simpler, but I tried it once and the Chinese idiot on the other end just continued babbling along and then paused for a moment before continuing as if nothing had happened. I suspect that the telephone moderates the volume at the other end. All it did for me was to cause my two cats to leap up in the air and run outside at high speed. 

the joy of upright hoovers , I took my spare hoover around to a house to give the carpets a good going over as they had been tickled by one of

those battery powered ewbank gizmos for years ....

5 seconds later the belt fails , so I take it back home to find the spare belt , take it apart and the belt has only popped off , so I popped it back on

and it carried on working , and filled its container with fluff and dust ,

so much for those battery powered ewbank gizmos

I feel I'm about to have insurance issues... 

I'm back with Zenith, I was with them with the 406. This is key... 

Currently my car is showing as uninsured which is odd, so I went into panic mode earlier hunting for the insurance details for the policy I know I bought as I've got the bank transaction. Nowhere. I even logged onto work where I found the 'please leave us feedback' email, but nothing else. 

Aha! It's all online now, fair enough. Off I go... Gl02bhx... No records found. Feck. Tried a few more times and resigned myself to not driving anywhere tomorrow (which ironically was the plan, I'm chasing up paying for insuring my car to sit in its parking space...) and phoning on Monday. 

I'm sat here now with a cuppa and just relaxing when my brain woke up and I punched in Hy02fua (old 406 plate which I had to find my old thread to remind myself) and 'Hello Mr Watson, welcome to your account' and theres 2 options... One for the old policy with no info in the box, and a 2nd fully filled out for the xsara, which opens into the full account page . Ffs. Panic over for now, cover only started yesterday so could be a slow mid update sonewhere

Downloaded my cert of insurance just in case and will probably have to call them at some point to straighten it all out as I imagine that'll be a heap of fun stood on the side of wherever I am trying to remember the reg of a car I scrapped years ago just to access my account to report a claim if needed. 

French cars and their shitty electrics.

Last night coming home I noticed the r/h indicator was flashing faster than normal indicating a bulb issue. Went out today and after getting removing the rear light unit I notced that the bulb was as right as rain but the actual connector was burnt:

20210221_143738.thumb.jpg.e0b93bb14c55196065d15f7e6a791b0a.jpg

20210221_143748.thumb.jpg.0b8c9aa757b1c20b7ca4ad2cfe7e36cb.jpg

20210221_143751.thumb.jpg.6442f72cd8d991d20e91dc89b2595a5a.jpg

I tried cleaning off the burn residue but to no avail. I mean, FFS, is there really any need for this? More money now to be needlessly spent 😠

1 hour ago, Lord Sterling said:

Last night coming home I noticed the r/h indicator was flashing faster than normal indicating a bulb issue. Went out today and after getting removing the rear light unit I notced that the bulb was as right as rain but the actual connector was burnt:

I tried cleaning off the burn residue but to no avail. I mean, FFS, is there really any need for this? More money now to be needlessly spent 😠

For what it's worth my BMW did that too on one of its rear lights; it was an earth and later cars actually had a recall over it (not my old banger though).

You might be able to replace just the cable housing; then with a fibreglass brush clean the contacts as you transfer them from the old to the new moulding. A small needle file should sort the light unit itself.

On 20/02/2021 at 13:30, barefoot said:

I suspect that the telephone moderates the volume at the other end. All it did for me was to cause my two cats to leap up in the air and run outside at high speed. 

They do - they're level-limited to prevent acoustic shock. Even the later GPO/BT 746 phones had limiter diodes across the earpiece.

This smug cunt can get in the sea with his perfectly-executed routine maintenance jobs. Changing the brake pads and discs on a Combo/Doblo should, I agree, be a piece of piss, and as simple as smug cunt makes it look.

Sadly, however, it does not account for the fact the brake disc is welded to the hub and will not shift for love nor money. Why me no get 'disc slides off smoothly' like smug cunt ?

smug.thumb.png.ca0078724361b484d0b90d79dc6e03b6.png

5 hours ago, clayts450 said:

This smug cunt can get in the sea with his perfectly-executed routine maintenance jobs. Changing the brake pads and discs on a Combo/Doblo should, I agree, be a piece of piss, and as simple as smug cunt makes it look.

Sadly, however, it does not account for the fact the brake disc is welded to the hub and will not shift for love nor money. Why me no get 'disc slides off smoothly' like smug cunt ?

smug.thumb.png.ca0078724361b484d0b90d79dc6e03b6.png

Oh I love these! I found one for my 406 for the ball joint job and it was like looking at a different car. 

I also missed the subtle hint where he took the strut off the car and clamped it in a good few grands worth of holder... 

2 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Need a bigger hammer m9.

Whenever I've had problems working on shite, I ring my mechanic mate up and his advice is always word for word the same. 

You ain't hitting it hard enough. 

There is another mate who's advice is always "cherry the fukka" which means apply lots of heat. 

On 21/02/2021 at 16:46, R1152 said:

For what it's worth my BMW did that too on one of its rear lights; it was an earth and later cars actually had a recall over it (not my old banger though).

You might be able to replace just the cable housing; then with a fibreglass brush clean the contacts as you transfer them from the old to the new moulding. A small needle file should sort the light unit itself.

Snap, my Saab had done the same to one of the rear cluster connectors, I snipped them off and soldered a new end onto the wires.

Soldering on a windy day in the open air is challenging. 

18 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Snap, my Saab had done the same to one of the rear cluster connectors, I snipped them off and soldered a new end onto the wires.

Soldering on a windy day in the open air is challenging. 

Been there, done that; it was wiring foglights on a mate's Viva HC back in the late 70s.... now try replacing the burst pipe on an outside tap where the stopcock doesn't quite shut completely and it's below zero... 🤬

In the end I cut the pipe, bought a push-fit stop end and walked away, swearing profusely.

Fife.

Swore on here i'd never buy another car from Fife (Shitter aside) because dealing with folk from there is largely just a total waste of time.

Well low and behold, i'm carless and something i want comes up in Fife, in budget.

First off, trying to get an answer? Fucking nigh on impossible. Then when you finally do, it's absolute vagueness.

Trying to arrange going to see/collect, he won't give me any details, as usual 'Fife',  then didn't answer when i tried to arrange it....given i have to know where the fuck i'm going in 'FIFE' because my only way there is public transport. It helps to know what fucking bus to get on.

Look back at the ad and he's put sold at the end of it.

Just fuck off, cunt.

Utter waste of fucking time. As per.

We've just been condemned to another six weeks of almost total lockdown, including a 5km limit on going anywhere other than essential activities. They "may" consider extending it then. I wonder what the scientific basis is for the 5km figure, as you're not allowed to visit anyone indoors, and the virus is very hard to catch outdoors.

I tried cleaning off the burn residue but to no avail. I mean, FFS, is there really any need for this? More money now to be needlessly spent
I've had two 407s, imagine how mental that must make me.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

On 1/16/2021 at 4:01 PM, jakebullet said:

Being a greedy grump today. Bob the builder burning chipboard in a smokeless zone with obvious smoky results. Ma expecting me to email the council's illegal fire department, who will come and stop BTB instantly. Doesn't work like that Ma. But if you want to start an official feud and blight your property value etc go right ahead.

IMG_20210116_154932.thumb.jpg.0430d90fc4f8e4dc30ebac1f253f0961.jpg

Our neighbours decided to chop up and burn their sofa on their front drive. The wind wasn't kind to us and we spent the night inhaling fumes but, they are a bit thick so I generally allow them room for spontaneous madness and sometimes... You just gotta burn your sofa. It's all part of living in the ghetto.