The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, Wack said:

Picked up a few things in the food hall at M&S , Christmas radio times is out , just a bit shocked when I beeped it , £4.95 ? 

It got un-beeped and put back on the shelf 

We get given them free at work. PM me your address mate I’ll have one on its way to you tomorrow.  

1 hour ago, Mally said:

Yes there's something wrong here.

Can make paper hats and mend a Porsche, but takes his bike for the shop to mend?

Ha, I have mended the bike myself over the 16yrs that I've owned it, replacing this, replacing that along the way. 

I'm about to start riding trails again after quite a while so I thought it was a good time to get someone to put it together properly and sort out all the bits I did wrong so there was less chance of me killing myself, as there's a fairly good chance I'm going to muller myself more than once as I'm out of practice (and fairly heavier) compared to the last time I rode.

Plus I bet there's people that build rockets that can't get the gears quite right on their bike. Its a friggin dark art man. 

14 hours ago, Wack said:

Picked up a few things in the food hall at M&S , Christmas radio times is out , just a bit shocked when I beeped it , £4.95 ? 

It got un-beeped and put back on the shelf 

Magazines are expensive these days I find - either they cost a lot more to produce or the reader numbers have dropped so much they’re upping the price to compensate 

19 hours ago, Bucketeer said:

Ah. Okay. So close but yet so far. I guess I live here now.

IMG_20191210_123558.thumb.jpg.f3a630af7df001003b146e0aee020aab.jpg

At least it's only a seven mile walk to the nearest shop, and it's due to stop raining long enough for the ground to dry out sometime in May.

Lower your tyre pressures, if that doesn't work, find stones, jack up the van if it's safe to do so and lay the stones under the wheels and make a short path to gather some momentum. I have been in this situation a few times. 

There can't be many 'next times' left, but it really isn't that far away before the snotty, biscuit arsed doctor's receptionist asks me what's wrong and I tell her about my unfeasibly large knob and offer to send her pictures.

19 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Magazines are expensive these days I find - either they cost a lot more to produce or the reader numbers have dropped so much they’re upping the price to compensate 

It used to be a Christmas tradition in our house to buy both when I was younger. Me and my sister would lie on the floor and circle all the films we'd watch over the festive period.

I think watch when you want tv and digital media have killed them off.

2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

I took Imp Jrs 'constructive criticism' on board last night and took the hat to bits and put on a slightly more flexible rim so that it would fit on his head a bit better. 

Just been sent a photo and I think he's happy with it. 

received_1166425753563941.thumb.jpeg.689bd9f9fb2b92c6669480646e102682.jpeg

You're far too soft.  If he was mine he'd have been going to school without a hat.  Or breakfast.

Wife has managed to hit a kerb and take a huge chunk out of the tyre and alloy on the modern. Not fussed about the alloys, but am bothered by the new tyre it now needs. Only 2.5mm tread left though so suppose it’s not too bad, was just hoping to change them in the new year..... plus now I have to deal with the mechanics* who manage* the local tyre fitters. Joy. 

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

You're far too soft.  If he was mine he'd have been going to school without a hat.  Or breakfast.

I have to be honest, I wasn't going to bother but I saw some photos of the hat that his friends dad had made and got all competitive. Plus after spending ages on it I at least wanted it to be worn.

He had been very apologetic after throwing the hat on the floor but I know that wasn't because he was sorry about being a git, it was because he thought he was in trouble.

26 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I have to be honest, I wasn't going to bother but I saw some photos of the hat that his friends dad had made and got all competitive. Plus after spending ages on it I at least wanted it to be worn.

He had been very apologetic after throwing the hat on the floor but I know that wasn't because he was sorry about being a git, it was because he thought he was in trouble.

So do you do the :

Tell me why you are sorry. Tell me what you are going to do to make it right and tell me what you are going to do to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Conversation.

I love that kind of nurturing. 

Because then you can explain, you are not the remotest bit upset that he hates the hat, just upset that he hasn't learnt to explain his feelings in sentences, and if he did you would listen and try to understand his problem, and you could them both discuss how to make it right. 

Says the father who has repaired doors and door frames.

I set out to jetwash and vacuum my filthy car, hasn't been done for ages, lives under trees and is starting to be covered in moss as well as general filth, inside not much better as getting into it always means mud and dead leaves come in as well, plus I tried the cat litter trick to reduce initial condensation on the screen, except I had no tights/nylons so put it in a bag intended for washing small, thin items - knickers & tights mainly, to stop them getting between the drums of the washing machine and eventually clogging the pump.

Turned out not to work so well, the perforations are too large bit don't look it but I now have the cat litter evenly distributed throughout the car's interior, as if it wasn't mucky enough to begin with.

Naturally, insufficient £1 coins for the job so head to Aldi for shopping and cashback in the form of £1 coins.

Distracted in the cue, a very slow and doddery bloke first, a student oblivious to everything except his phone in front of me, then the tomatoes I had grabbed of the shelf were turning into soup all conspired to cause me to forget to ask for cashback, which I only realised en rout to the jetwash.

So that's for another day, as usual.  I'd run it through the car wash but it has a roof rack on and that took six hours to fit so it is never coming off.

Perhaps a handwash place should be employed. Except they will use stinky stuff so I won't be able to drive the car for days afterwards.  I would do it on the street but the car is parked slightly off road and getting to it with a vacuum and hose means plodging through a sea of muck and mud this time of year, can't do it anywhere else that I can reach without causing traffic chaos.

Maybe Easter then :( and  now my 'Enter' keys have gone on strike :(

29 minutes ago, myglaren said:

I set out to jetwash and vacuum my filthy car, hasn't been done for ages, lives under trees and is starting to be covered in moss as well as general filth, inside not much better as getting into it always means mud and dead leaves come in as well, plus I tried the cat litter trick to reduce initial condensation on the screen, except I had no tights/nylons so put it in a bag intended for washing small, thin items - knickers & tights mainly, to stop them getting between the drums of the washing machine and eventually clogging the pump.

Turned out not to work so well, the perforations are too large bit don't look it but I now have the cat litter evenly distributed throughout the car's interior, as if it wasn't mucky enough to begin with.

Naturally, insufficient £1 coins for the job so head to Aldi for shopping and cashback in the form of £1 coins.

Distracted in the cue, a very slow and doddery bloke first, a student oblivious to everything except his phone in front of me, then the tomatoes I had grabbed of the shelf were turning into soup all conspired to cause me to forget to ask for cashback, which I only realised en rout to the jetwash.

So that's for another day, as usual.  I'd run it through the car wash but it has a roof rack on and that took six hours to fit so it is never coming off.

Perhaps a handwash place should be employed. Except they will use stinky stuff so I won't be able to drive the car for days afterwards.  I would do it on the street but the car is parked slightly off road and getting to it with a vacuum and hose means plodging through a sea of muck and mud this time of year, can't do it anywhere else that I can reach without causing traffic chaos.

Maybe Easter then :( and  now my 'Enter' keys have gone on strike :(

The garage that MOTs my cars also does a 'courtesy valet' which has increased it's annual washings by one, bringing it up to a total of one.

My grump is insurance as always. The bike insurance is up 1st Jan, thought I'd be organised and try on 1st december to get a decent quote. Got offered £108 but the date range only went up to 30th Dec. Given the cheapest quote was from my current insurer, well broker, Carole Gash, I thought I'd try that phone thing people talk about occasionally.

Fuck that 30 mins of my life I wasted talking to an arsehole who was from some backwards part of the country with an accent so thick and questions so stupid I didn't have a lot of faith the quote would be accurate anyway. Offered 180, said no thanks, offered 140 and he had the temerity to be upset when I said nah I'll go online cheers. It took so long as they hadn't generated their renewal yet. Well of course not you wanted to shaft me you toss pots.

Just got round to checking it now, obviously it's gone up to 146 online as it's now only a couple of weeks away. 40% takes the piss. It also gives great faith if you ever needed to contact them around a claim with such professional service.

At least it's a garaged bike so I may well just sorn it for January and see when I can get the cheapest quote. Of course if I go down this route we will have a lovely mild Jan with a few opportunities to get out followed by three foot of snow for the whole of February and March.

I don't fancy overlapping policies for 2 days as that quote is now fixed as it is so would count the no claims bonus that wouldn't technically be issued until after the start of the policy.

13 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

As, I think, already posted on here, Martin Lewis reckons 20 to 26 days before expiry is cheapest time to renew, must remember to try it.

I had a play around today on my lunch break. It does make a significant difference. Unfortunately my insurance is up for renewal next week. 

Hypothetically is there anything stopping someone auto renewing an existing policy then cancelling it in the cooling off period?

The postman delivered a signed for parcel this morning,part of Mrs V8 Christmas present.

Above my name and address in bold text was the content of the parcel.

Oh well,at least it wasn't a vibrator,butt plug or strap on dildo..

Edit:- MrsV8 signed for her own pressy.. just to be clear..

Edited by DVee8
Doh

2 hours ago, DVee8 said:

Oh well,at least it wasn't a vibrator,butt plug or strap on dildo..

You said to the postman, laughing just a little bit too much in an awquard way. 

Before shutting the door and unboxing your new vibrator/butt plug/dildo... 

21 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

You said to the postman, laughing just a little bit too much in an awquard way. 

Before shutting the door and unboxing your new vibrator/butt plug/dildo... 

Sorry but MrsV8 signed for it I was at work she now knows part of her pressy.

I should have been clearer in my post..

Spent ages making an exhaust up for the talbot, I got stainless pipe, stainless MIG wire, a couple of bottles of argon etc. I wanted to do a proper job of it so really took my time.

1918520557_2019-12-0419_13_16.thumb.jpg.e66a1ab9db52adc8f9bcd28f20b00109.jpg

Made it all up with mandrel bends and got it all tacked together and then welded it up properly today, with some of the worst fucking welds I've ever done in my fucking life. They're so laughable that I didn't even dare take a photo of them. Honestly it looks like I've never welded before, I'm embarrassed!

Stainless MIG wire is WANK, and those little hobby bottles of gas are a complete waste of time, even with the gas flow down to a minimum I've emptied £35 worth of them halfway making a simple exhaust.

In the end I got so fucked off with it, I've ground most of the "welds" back roughly flush and I'm just going to go over the lot with mild steel wire and pub gas tomorrow, by which time the exhaust will have warped so much from all the welding that it'll fit even worse than the wonky crock of shit I'm replacing.

13 hours ago, paulplom said:

It used to be a Christmas tradition in our house to buy both when I was younger. Me and my sister would lie on the floor and circle all the films we'd watch over the festive period.

I think watch when you want tv and digital media have killed them off.

I do find it easier to flick through the schedule in a magazine though so I may still stump up for it , I was just a bit shocked at the time.

My wife did utter 5 words before thinking about it , well it is Marks & Er no it's the same price everywhere isn't it

Yes love it is ?