Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

On 8/26/2021 at 12:11 AM, LightBulbFun said:

1 I know that a youtube channel is a big commitment and a lot of work, and right now I have got a lot of things going on and things to worry about, so trying to produce youtube videos is just out of the question for me sadly

and

2: im not really of the youtube type I fear that ill just end up rambling for far too long while making very little sense

Rubbish.

The sheer volume of time you spend posting on here shows you have the time to write a script and record voice overs. A decent mic costs less than some of your lightbulbs. You have a keen eye for technical detail which would likely help with creating a neatly edited product with free software.

You know more about the subject than anybody else does, by a fair margin, and have materials to reference. There is probably nobody better to make an in-depth informational video series on the history of invalid carriages.

YT personality is unrequired, Ian doesn't have the conventional YT personality and has managed to become one of fairly few people to actually earn a living making videos.

There are 350 people who want to see me upload a wobbly video of a partially framed car and hear me say "um" once every 6 months ffs.

Bear in mind most small niche YouTubers have a 9-5 day job and are producing videos in the evenings and weekends... I don't see how you couldn't produce videos over a longer time frame in short chunks and stitch them into 15 min videos released every few weeks. 

5 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

Rubbish.

The sheer volume of time you spend posting on here shows you have the time to write a script and record voice overs. A decent mic costs less than some of your lightbulbs. You have a keen eye for technical detail which would likely help with creating a neatly edited product with free software.

You know more about the subject than anybody else does, by a fair margin, and have materials to reference. There is probably nobody better to make an in-depth informational video series on the history of invalid carriages.

YT personality is unrequired, Ian doesn't have the conventional YT personality and has managed to become one of fairly few people to actually earn a living making videos.

There are 350 people who want to see me upload a wobbly video of a partially framed car and hear me say "um" once every 6 months ffs.

Bear in mind most small niche YouTubers have a 9-5 day job and are producing videos in the evenings and weekends... I don't see how you couldn't produce videos over a longer time frame in short chunks and stitch them into 15 min videos released every few weeks. 

I agree, I get 3 fairly mediocre videos out a week and have a day job! 

When you've got a mic kit sorted, do let me know what you used. My next upgrade is going to be audio but I've got specific annoying requirements so short of throwing cheap Ali express stuff at my phone and seeing what works I've had no luck so far... 

Thought you might appreciate a few pics of the Citroen Axel (Oltcit) in the Conservitoire Citroen in Paris which I’ve just had the pleasure of taking a brief look about in my one day in Paris

18485699-B487-4673-87F9-5F244DDD3A11.thumb.jpeg.05c23f912c406cc8239eac8f96f216b9.jpeg
F5EC0479-0E20-4533-B970-908F50625047.thumb.jpeg.7a6928a05c0782d64c2d064a9f792cfb.jpeg
1EF9AF69-06A5-46A2-8840-C9D4E1F86C20.thumb.jpeg.b8af9cf662596b3ad88e1bb5c157e45b.jpeg

Always amazes me how similar to a visa these are in certain colours, yet DW’s red one looks a lot less like a visa (to my eyes anyway)

Actually managed a long distance trip in the Fairmont without binning it, so let's do a trip review.

We set off for Sussex last Thursday, to stay with relatives. Great radio, excellent cruise control and sheer waft made that 280-mile trip a relative pleasure, even with busy bank-holiday-weekend-looming traffic. But, the range appears to be 300 miles, so finding more fuel was a priority the next day. We used Sussex as our base to drive up to Brooklands Museum, so that was another 120 miles there and back. Traffic was HIDEOUS on the way back too, so the two-pedal driving experience was much appreciated.

The following day, it was back to Brooklands for the HubNut Social.

E-D-yZAWYAYFPJk?format=jpg&name=small

Always staggers me how much folk like looking at this car, though so many people want to talk about the off. I'd like to try and forget about it now please. Still, it has become an important part of this car's history I guess.

After a recovery day that was mostly spent trying to hide from Brighton's traffic wardens, we headed back home today. Here's a lovely photo of the Fairmont only slightly ruined by photobombing children.

E-DUQeiWYAUSI0L?format=jpg&name=small

They seemed comfortable in it, which is good, as we spent about six hours in it today, and it was PACKED with dogs, children and associated stuff. AND HubNut merchandise. BBC Radio 2 did a Neighbours Anniversary show, which we greatly enjoyed listening to. Worship Australian things! 

But, I am getting backache on these longer trips - adjusting the lumbar support doesn't seem to help. Bit disappointing, but I guess the C5 set the bar pretty bloody high for seat comfort. That thing was incredible. 28mpg seems to be achievable on a run, though it makes a big difference setting the cruise at 68mph rather than 73. 

Overall, it's lovely. Feeling a bit tired in places, but that's hardly surprising at 298,000kms (185,000 miles). There's a new knock from the front end that I think is probably drop link, but the rear brakes seem a little less sticky than they were. I still think a rebuild of the calipers is on the cards. But, the Fairmont can enjoy a bit of a rest now. The next long trip will be to East Coast Retros in the GSA.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:46 AM, beko1987 said:

When you've got a mic kit sorted, do let me know what you used. My next upgrade is going to be audio but I've got specific annoying requirements so short of throwing cheap Ali express stuff at my phone and seeing what works I've had no luck so far... 

The BOYA one from Amazon is about £10 or something, and that's alright I thought. But that's if you're just outside walking around.

If you're inside narrating, the single best thing you can do is put a pillow behind the microphone as well as a bed sheet behind you. It removes all of the echo etc from the room you're in. 

46 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

The BOYA one from Amazon is about £10 or something, and that's alright I thought. But that's if you're just outside walking around.

If you're inside narrating, the single best thing you can do is put a pillow behind the microphone as well as a bed sheet behind you. It removes all of the echo etc from the room you're in. 

I don't really do voice overs on my videos everything's done at once. And the phone I use doesn't have an aux jack on... And I use the USB c port to a hdmi plug so  it duplicates the screen on the TV so I can see what I'm doing! 

Some sort of lavier and either a cheap USB c dongle that has line in and hdmi out maybe. Otherwise I'm into fully seperate audio and video streams and I wouldn't know where to start with that! 

10 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I don't really do voice overs on my videos everything's done at once. And the phone I use doesn't have an aux jack on... And I use the USB c port to a hdmi plug so  it duplicates the screen on the TV so I can see what I'm doing! 

Some sort of lavier and either a cheap USB c dongle that has line in and hdmi out maybe. Otherwise I'm into fully seperate audio and video streams and I wouldn't know where to start with that! 

I tried using a dictaphone to record the audio, and match it up with the video. It's not as hard as you think to do as long as you make a loud sharp sound (like a hand clap). Use that to sync the audio to the video, and you're away. The problem though was the dictaphone recorded it too hot, so it distorted and sounded crap. Worse than using no mic at all actually.

I think though to get a good solution like what you want, you may as well get a microphone (like the Rode ones that clip on to the camera) and then a camera that would output to HDMI. Which wouldn't be your phone. 

Alternatively, you could always plug it in to a laptop and use the laptop to record it? I dunno.

Because I'm stupid, I sent the Matiz in for MOT two months early. New garage to try, though they actually farm out the test. Failed on emissions and a few brake pipes, though the remaining brake pipes were advisories, so I guess I'll be replacing the lot. Emissions is annoying as the cat was brand new 3 years ago. It struggled to pass last year, so I had an inkling it would fail. Any good companies to get cats from? Or could it be a running issue that's throwing it out? The idle is still iffy. 

At least I've got plenty of time to sort it out! Rear axle and suspension arms were also advisories for rust, and I can't really complain. They do look like they've been parked in the sea, as do the rear springs (powder coating has entirely flaked off them). How I replace all of that lot I'm not sure. I'm not sure they'll clean up, but might be worth a go. 

The day before the test, I tried replacing the rear shockers. I got one changed. The second one had the bolt seized in the bush. Access is crap so I let the garage tackle that too. 

Woke up this morning not knowing what to do, so I did some admin, packed some merchandise, vacuumed out the GSA (which was looking a bit too 'family lived in' for comfort) and then drove 100 miles in TWC. This is Fishguard.

E-nF8G6WEAE3Yto?format=jpg&name=small

Took her all the way down to St Davids, and it was lovely. She's running well, the temperature was just about comfortable (as long as we kept moving) and there was plenty of sunshine. St Davids was chaotic though, so after grabbing a few pics, I retreated inland for lunch before driving home. Got quite a few "Don't see them anymore" comments, and one HubNutter stopped while I was pausing along the way. Good to put some miles on her as she's travelled very little this year.

On 9/3/2021 at 6:25 PM, dollywobbler said:

Or could it be a running issue that's throwing it out? The idle is still iffy. 

Do you have the print out of the emissions test?

Idle could cause it if it's running rich. If the lambda is off the scale then it could be a hole in the exhaust. But the emissions sheet will tell you what reading is offski. 

20 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Woke up this morning not knowing what to do, so I did some admin, packed some merchandise, vacuumed out the GSA (which was looking a bit too 'family lived in' for comfort) and then drove 100 miles in TWC. This is Fishguard.

E-nF8G6WEAE3Yto?format=jpg&name=small

Took her all the way down to St Davids, and it was lovely. She's running well, the temperature was just about comfortable (as long as we kept moving) and there was plenty of sunshine. St Davids was chaotic though, so after grabbing a few pics, I retreated inland for lunch before driving home. Got quite a few "Don't see them anymore" comments, and one HubNutter stopped while I was pausing along the way. Good to put some miles on her as she's travelled very little this year.

very happy to see TWC out and about once more :) 

she does seem to be running quite well now compared to before when she would struggle to hit 50, which she now gets up to relatively easily :) 

I do still wonder about her remaining power deficiencies and I wonder if it might be worth swapping over the other remaining cylinder head with the one from her original engine and seeing if that improves matters?

(or perhaps even more drastically, just swap everything over from TWCs original engine and just keep the good engine casing with good distributor housing from TPA's engine?)

I also seem to recall that when you swapped the new pulleys on that the triplex chain tensioner was wound to its maximum tension and I cant imagine that its supposed to be wound so far in

so I wonder if that might be creating additional drag and as such a loss of power? perhaps it might be worth looking into seeing how/if its possible to tension it properly

unhelpfully tho tensioning the triplex chain is the one bit of info they forgot to include in the workshop manual it literally just says under reassembly of chain case on page 58

"3: Paragraph required on tensioning of triplex chain in chaincase."

and finally I know TWC's diff is not in the best of health, so I wonder if it might be worth seeing if the diff from TPA's driveline is any good and installing that? :) 

(although being just a standard Fiat Diff, I think in theory could even  get one in a different drive ratio for better hill climbing performance or motorway cruising, thats assuming they make different ratio diffs for Fiat 500's/126s? I would think they do given how popular they are for all sorts of things)

Yesterday, we refurbished the rear calipers on the Fairmont. This led to no improvement with the mild binding issue, though we did clear a lot of crud out of the calipers, so it was work worth doing. After bleeding the rear lines through, we discovered that the front brakes were now binding! Perhaps because of the high pressure applied while bleeding. I've had no sign of them getting hot before, but we decided to bleed through the fronts and make sure everything was loose. The pistons seemed a bit sticky, but after reassembly, bleeding and a test drive, we found the fronts were not generating heat, while the rears still did.

Today, remembering a comment from Twosmoke much earlier in this thread, and also prompted by a friend in Aus, I adjusted the pushrod between pedal and master cylinder. A common issue on Aussie Fords of this era apparently. This made absolutely no difference at all.

To confirm, the heat build up is on both sides at the back, so I don't think it's anything to do with spinny roundabouts. Judging by the lack of material on the old pads, it must have been going on for a while. Everything is moving nicely in the calipers themselves. Heat built up even when we backed the handbrake right off.

The only culprits I can think of now are the flexis (which seems a little unlikely given the heat is pretty even each side) or the master cylinder itself. Problem is, playing 'guess the part' is getting quite expensive given bits are coming from Aus. Incidentally, the caliper refurb kit for this Australian car came from Spain... That was well-travelled then!

As you say, it could be the rear flexis. Even if there are two of them they are probably the same age so would deteriorate evenly. If they are collapsing internally they'll open up with the pressure of putting your foot on the pedal but there's not enough pressure on the return so the brakes stay on partially. 

Would rear flexis have to come from Aus? The fittings are fairly standard, you just need to find the length. 

Cheers folks. The video.

Spotted it after driving a Multipla for a test last week. Ummed and aaah'd a bit too long, then it sold. But of course, it sold* on Ebay! I dropped a message to the seller and sure enough, TWUNTS a-plenty were attempting to ruin his day. So, £200 off and she was mine. Deal done last night, jumped on public transport this morning, got back home all good? Not entirely. Afraid the 'wrong' list will have to wait for tomorrow's video, but there is a piece of me hoping this isn't going to be an utter disaster... (the usual post-purchase sensation!).