Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

9 hours ago, Tim_E said:

You mean the angry traffic jam the call South of England and also Cheshire and large parts of the Midlands?

Every time I go there i see dangerous driving and road rage. 

Needs to be done sometimes but driving in paradise is much nicer.

Standards of driving is so poor in the West Midlands, that I swear if you learn how to drive there and pass you are automatically twice a good a driver as those outside of the West Midlands - as we're used to the dickheads and cockwombles not understanding what solid double white lines are for or indicators. 

I think I've decided that the C5 needs to go. Anyone fancy it? Decent MOT, less decent clutch that's only slipping when severely provoked. Might last 500 miles, might last 5000 but I wouldn't try too many rapid hillstarts.IMG_20210528_141221.thumb.jpg.2bcf044f52fe2b37081ca3ea7c9c2235.jpg

134k, HDi 110 manual. Most things work but not air con or rear window. £400.

Would be open to swaps but to be honest, I think we just want another one. Decent family wagons will be considered though. 

• dollywobbler changed the title to Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread - C5 for sale
8 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I think I've decided that the C5 needs to go. Anyone fancy it? Decent MOT, less decent clutch that's only slipping when severely provoked. Might last 500 miles, might last 5000 but I wouldn't try too many rapid hillstarts.IMG_20210528_141221.thumb.jpg.2bcf044f52fe2b37081ca3ea7c9c2235.jpg

134k, HDi 110 manual. Most things work but not air con or rear window. £400.

Would be open to swaps but to be honest, I think we just want another one. Decent family wagons will be considered though. 

So let me understand. You are selling it because you can't be arsed or can't afford to replace a service item? 

Watching you replace the clutch using just a leather man and adjustable spanner, would be a much more interesting video on YouTube thst some of the 100s of thousands of "watching paint dry in monotone" videos uploaded to there. Get it done. You know you want to.  

Firmly in the can't afford. We've just had an offer accepted on a house...

My tinkering mojo is at an all-time low and it's a 6.1 hour book time for an actual professional to do a clutch on one of these, and it could do with new rear discs and pads and boot struts (currently a stick).

£305 @ £50ph labour and a quick Google says about £300 for clutch + flywheel. What can you buy replacement for £605 in today's market that probably isn't going to need that spending soon after buying?

Or loose selling on because you don't find it comfortable/fuel efficiency for the miles you are doing?

Drive it gently until enough is saved to get a clutch done. It's going to be worth similar with a slipping clutch or completely dead clutch, as someone buying it knows it'll need to be done. I.e. worth not far above scrap. 

I tend to agree - better the devil you know. If you like the car and it does what you need, its worth the money. One sure fire way to lose money is to change cars.

IMHO, for what very little its worth - you need a reliable and spacious daily. You have a perfectly good one, that needs some routine maintenance and a set of boot struts. Fix it.

3 hours ago, timolloyd said:

I’ve always assumed there’s a certain amount of YouTube economics influencing HubNut’s decisions. Perhaps new car intro videos net more £ and it’s better to keep turning over the fleet?

Not really. People are clamouring for more tinkering content, but I'm at a very low ebb with actually doing it. I've always had a very quick turnover of vehicles! It's nothing new.

4 hours ago, Sham said:

I tend to agree - better the devil you know. If you like the car and it does what you need, its worth the money. One sure fire way to lose money is to change cars.

Precisely the reason I bunged £1800 at the autobox on my 530i. If I weighed it in and got £200 for it, added the £1800 to it and I could easily go out and buy two thousand quid's worth of someone else's mither and "can't be fucking arsed".

I bet that second Oltcit cost more than it would to fix the C5.

Mind you, the churn on the Hubnut fleet reminds me of a joke concerning Peter Sellers' constant buying of new cars:

"Peter, why have you bought another Rolls Royce?"

"The other one's parked facing the wrong way."

Now, time to do battle with the 530i again; let's see why it's not playing ball with the "restraint systems" - funnily enough, my swearing restraint system simultaneously failed...

3 hours ago, timolloyd said:

I’ve always assumed there’s a certain amount of YouTube economics influencing HubNut’s decisions.

I'm not certain of YT economics, but I thought you had to have the number of subscribers that someone like Tyler Hoover has to be able to make a living from it?

1 hour ago, catsinthewelder said:

Probably depends on what you define as "a living".  Some people would consider that they need to earn £100k+ a year, plenty of shitter's can get by on a tenth of that if housing costs are low.

Housing costs would have to be nigh on non-existent, unless you choose to live in penury; round here a modest dwelling is £800pcm to rent. That's before anything else is taken into consideration, like fuel and food.

The minimum wage gives you a pre-tax income of £16,000 assuming a 35 hour week; if you think people can get by on 60% of that then I really ought to write to Mr. Sunak and tell him he's being far too profligate.

I can confirm I earn more than minimum wage, so that's good. Comfortably more I'd say. A few years ago, it was more borderline (hence having an actual job editing mags as well).

I don't know. We'll drive home in the C5 tomorrow and see how we feel. As folk have said, I can just drive it until it gets worse and can even park it up for a bit I need to. I do need to cull things a bit though. It's getting a bit silly.

Agreed - too much choice of what to work on often means nothing gets done. 

But you do need a daily, a car that is not a love but is practical, reliable transport for when you need, well, transporting somewhere. And a car you like.

Personally, from watching your channel, I'd say that the C5 fits that bill very nicely.

49 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I do need to cull things a bit though. It's getting a bit silly.

Says the man with two OltCits.  :mrgreen:

My 2p's worth:  You need to get properly stuck into some of these projects you have.  Like 6-8hrs a day of work.  I don't know if you treat your video making as if it were a "normal" full-time job, but the *impression* I get from your videos is that you spend just a few hours at the unit each time before running out of steam and running away to do something else.  The car review stuff is interesting, but I do think you need more of the core "dicking about with old cars" content.

I may be wide of the mark here.  You might be putting in a lot more time at the unit on these than I think, but that's just how it feels.  Certainly compared to the engine-out and major work videos that you had for things like TWK and Foxanne, you've not done anything that "adventurous" for a little while.

However, that's just me, and I like indepth technical content:  With something like Hoovies Garage, I'm far more interested in what happens down at the Car Wiiiiiiiiiizard rather than watching a pillock with more money than sense barreling about in his cars.  It's just a shame that the wizard's own tube channel is as dry as the sahara, hence is quite hard work to watch.

Getting back to the C5.  Even with a 6hr book time, you'd be looking at 2-3 days of solid work to get that done in the unit with jacks and swearing.  It would be an interesting couple of videos that you could release over a couple of weeks, meaning you've got 2-3 weeks of content generated in 2-3 days.  I know it's *massively* more complex than that.  Editing takes up a lot of time, so maybe double the content generation time, but that's still not a bad content release Vs content generation ratio.

I'm just very much looking forward to the video "I pulled the engine and gearbox out of the OltCit to assess it properly" or "I stripped the wiring out of the Yugo to get it running" etc.  Even just a "I pulled the engine out of the Charade in order to strip it down and fit new piston rings".

It depends how much you like the car in my view.  When the clutch spectacularly failed on my Golf it was a choice between spending a big chunk on the clutch or spending the same chunk on another car that was an unknown quantity.  I did the non-canon thing (here at least) and got the clutch done.  Don't regret it a bit.

Don't think I wasn't tempted to get something else though.

If it were me id fix the car you have, when it gets worse.  but sod changing it myself.  Theres a time and place for that crap and its not on axle stands, 

Think rover 75 alternator but bigger and heavier and someone kicking you in the plums every hour or so repeatedly for morale support.  I think it would be that level of fun. 

Just now, Andyrew said:

If it were me id fix the car you have, when it gets worse.  but sod changing it myself.  There's a time and place for that crap and its not on axle stands, 

Think rover 75 alternator but bigger and heavier and someone kicking you in the plums every hour or so repeatedly for morale support.  I think it would be that level of fun.

I dunno.  There's nothing like your first clutch change, completed with the car on axle stands and having to put the gearbox back on with it wobbling on top of a trolley jack that is quite as "character building".

Maybe a 2-post lift installed in DW's unit would make things easier.  I know I'd rather spend out on a 2-post and then do the job myself rather than pay someone else to do it and not have a 2-post lift.

1 hour ago, Sham said:

Agreed - too much choice of what to work on often means nothing gets done.

My life in a nutshell, sadly ☹️

On a serious note, it becomes overwhelming and so the "do nothing and pretend the problem isn't there" option prevails, e.g. spend too much time on teh Interwebz forums rather than fixing/doing stuff.

36 minutes ago, Talbot said:

My 2p's worth:  You need to get properly stuck into some of these projects you have.  Like 6-8hrs a day of work.  I don't know if you treat your video making as if it were a "normal" full-time job, but the *impression* I get from your videos is that you spend just a few hours at the unit each time before running out of steam and running away to do something else.  The car review stuff is interesting, but I do think you need more of the core "dicking about with old cars" content.

I may be wide of the mark here.  You might be putting in a lot more time at the unit on these than I think, but that's just how it feels.  Certainly compared to the engine-out and major work videos that you had for things like TWK and Foxanne, you've not done anything that "adventurous" for a little while.

However, that's just me, and I like indepth technical content:  With something like Hoovies Garage, I'm far more interested in what happens down at the Car Wiiiiiiiiiizard rather than watching a pillock with more money than sense barreling about in his cars.  It's just a shame that the wizard's own tube channel is as dry as the sahara, hence is quite hard work to watch.

Getting back to the C5.  Even with a 6hr book time, you'd be looking at 2-3 days of solid work to get that done in the unit with jacks and swearing.  It would be an interesting couple of videos that you could release over a couple of weeks, meaning you've got 2-3 weeks of content generated in 2-3 days.  I know it's *massively* more complex than that.  Editing takes up a lot of time, so maybe double the content generation time, but that's still not a bad content release Vs content generation ratio.

I'm just very much looking forward to the video "I pulled the engine and gearbox out of the OltCit to assess it properly" or "I stripped the wiring out of the Yugo to get it running" etc.  Even just a "I pulled the engine out of the Charade in order to strip it down and fit new piston rings".

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I would however add that Ian's personal circumstances were very different in the era of TWC and Foxanne.

46 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Youtube stuff takes a lot longer to do than folk think.

You can realistically do 2-3 hours work and end up with 20 seconds of useable footage. 6-8 hours work (obviously depending on what it is being done) stopping, explaining, moving cameras around etc can be what would be the equivalent of a 2 hours job. It's a bit like the tv shows that give an impression they transform a car in a couple of days, when really it's been 8 weeks.

I can't speak for DW, obviously, but to me, his situation now is totally different with the unit v when he did Foxanne and Twk, Having the things at home means you can dip in and out of it, stop and go and have food, nip out at check something you forgot to look at earlier. It's a lot more flexible. Having to get to and from a unit and perhaps being stumped by something, having to drive home and come back another day really limits massive undertakings like a restoration or major work.

3 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

Youtube stuff takes a lot longer to do than folk think.

That I am very aware of.  I've seen a good few "behind the scenes" videos from people I sponsor on Patreon, and they've gone into very interesting detail of how long it takes to make a video, how many hours of work goes into what they do, how long it takes to edit, etc.etc.  I'm just commenting on how it feels to me, watching the videos.  Yes, every channel will have style and content drift over time and Ian's personal situation is no secret, particularly on here.  Hence my opening statement that it was just my 2p, and can be taken as just that.  I'm not expecting anything to change based one one person's opinion. (and indeed no-one should expect that, despite a significant proportion of youtube comments clearly expecting that to be the case)