Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Indicators. I'm resurrecting a late 50's Renault and the flashers puzzle me. its never had semaphores, and its indicators are one unit (facing forward white, rearward red) on the C pillar. There is no wiring or any sign of another unit ever being fitted front or rear.

It has previously passed an MOT (1997) & is UK registered but is this legal? Can I take it for an MOT like that?

6vfregate005.jpg

^ Fiat 126 Bis? Think they were made up until around 1990

Although I think it will be the VW Beetle, all the South American imports I've seen still have them.

My Novaquatre had exactly the same setup - single lamps on the rear pillars, with a red lens facing backwards and a white lens facing the front. Didn't realise Renault were still doing the same thing in the '50s, but as MO said, if it was legal back then (and when your Frégate was made many cars were still using trafficators) it's legal now (although the DS only ever had the rear indicators in the C-pillar - front indicators were always on the front).

Ford Pops with the 'Teddy ears' had them positioned just behind the B-pillar, one light for front and rear, though they were probably a little more visible that the Fregate ones. I'm sure there are others but I can't think of any offhand... agreed it is an odd arrangement though!

Rover 75 diesels ... Are they actually BMW enjins like most vendors try and claim or are they Rover L-series?

Deffo BMW engines, only weal points are the Freelander Clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, otherwise they are excellent old barges :D

Really stupid question coming up.

How do I get this:

photo%25201.JPG

to fit on to this:

photo%25204.JPG

Yes - it is the correct size wheel. I suspect there is some kind of clip missing from the back of the hub caps I have. The backs look like this:

photo%25202.JPG

Any ideas? And apologies in advance for being stoopid, as I'm sure I am...

British Volkswagen Festival at Malvern too, which was apparently a shadow of it's former self. I was going to pop down but couldn't be arsed and it seems about 50% of the usual traders did the same.

I went last year and it was OK, but I reckon the VW festival scene is doing a dotcom flop at the moment. That said I don't need an excuse not to go to malvern showground - Decent bogs but the worst contracted food of any showground I've ever been to

As this is the place for stupid questions ...

Does diesel go off? I know petrol does, but does diesel?

Can get a bug in it which turns it black, common problem with marine engines. Of course there is an expensive additive which may or may not be any good.

running without mudguards. Is that legal?

As far as I understood it, no, unless it's an agricultural vehicle. I don't have the bit of law in front of me, but I'm pretty certain that 'exposed wheels' are an automatic MoT fail and should get you told off a lot by the boys in blue in much the same way as a Corsa with 12" wide wheels would. For some reason, hot rods seem to get let off with a lot of stuff, especially if it's American, perhaps a blind eye is turned?

Would a Triumph Sprint head just "bolt on" to a TR7 engine? I know it's the same block but would I need different intake manifold, carbs, exhaust etc?

I'm just wondering as there's a couple of cheap sprint heads on ebay just now. Even counting in the price of a head re-build if the change over was reasonably straight forward it might be something I'd consider if it didn't mean major fannying around.