Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

1: are laminated screens so much weaker than whatever side windows are?

Toughened glass is very resilient and will bend quite a lot (up to a centimetre in a metre in flat sheet is as much as I would risk it) whereas laminated, because it has two thin pieces of glass stuck to a clear plastic film will crack as soon as you look at it.

1: are laminated screens so much weaker than whatever side windows are?

It's not so much the different material/manufacture, the side and rear windows may as well be bin bags (like when you live in a rough part of town) - your windscreen goes through regular heavy stress cycles - at 70 it'll have a hundred or so lbs of force on it and it doesn't take much more than a manufacturing defect or pothole to instigate fatigue cracks that can just explode when the glass is removed :)

How can I unsubcribe myself from the PPI/injury messages I seem to get almost daily now? Most don't have opt-out replies or are witheld numbers

Other than tracking the perpetrators down and killing them messily, or binning your phone I don't think there's anything you can do to stop them.

The unsolicited text messages which end saying 'if you do not want to recieve these messages text STOP' originate from third world countries and are sent to random blocks of numbers which match uk formats, but which the senders do not know which of are active numbers. If you don't reply there is no further action, but if you reply STOP you indicate the number is active, and it is then sold to spammers.

Bastards.

I've got to sell an accident damaged '54 plate Picasso diesel thing for someone who needs the space it's in.

135k on the clock, it's had either a new engine or new gearbox in it not long ago. Was tidy but it's taken a hit to the n/s/f corner and it's bent the wing and bumper in a way so that it can't be driven. There appears to be a little bit of damage to the chassis leg on that corner as well. However, it's taxed for ages and is quite probably an easy fix for someone who can be arsed. It's an ex-taxi, but not dreadful mileage really and it seems tidy elsewhere. Airbags etc are all fine. Glass, doors, tailgate, interior are all good. Just an awkward hit as it's pushed everything around the headlamp toward the wheel.

It will drive, but only onto a recovery truck / trailer or summat. Hasn't lost water or oil and the engine sounds very sweet indeed. Starts on the button.

It has to go soon. £300. Should I just ring one of the £300 for any car folks and get them to cart it off, or does someone on here want it. Oh, and it's the whole car or nothing.

Is it on the hit list Pete, or unrecorded? I know you hate the place but that's prime Internet auction site fodder and would (IMHO) see a return of more than that. Personally I'd do a 99p no reserve listing and see how it goes or a BIN of £450 with submit best offer option. If doing the latter mention anyone who wants to use buy it now has to pay an immediate deposit of £40 first. Might not work but should hopefully deter some of the dickheads at least

That explains the umpteen calls and/or texts i get after sending abusive messages to them then. Also when the home phone goes and it's an international/unknown number I occasionally give them loads and noticed random calls for days afterwards.

Mobile phone users, some q's:

Firstly are '3' still the most utterly useless provider in the entire universe, or ar they as good as the big boys now for reliability and reception? Have T-mobile been upgraded from Iveco wiring to Laguna autobox + and are Virgin as bad as their other services suggest?

My contract is up and I want to go to a pay-as-you-go one, possibly a month at a time contract, as I can get a better deal than my current (Orange) pay monthly. Loathe to go through the hassle of porting my number over to a service that's bleeding useless.

Firstly are '3' still the most utterly useless provider in the entire universe, or ar they as good as the big boys now for reliability and reception? Have T-mobile been upgraded from Iveco wiring to Laguna autobox + and are Virgin as bad as their other services suggest?

My contract is up and I want to go to a pay-as-you-go one, possibly a month at a time contract, as I can get a better deal than my current (Orange) pay monthly. Loathe to go through the hassle of porting my number over to a service that's bleeding useless.

The only one I can really comment on is T-mobile. I've been with them for a few yrs now, I work all over the country and have never had a problem with them. I think they have merged with orange so T-mobile & orange now use the same masts.

I thought virgin used T-mobiles network - I may be wrong.

The only one I can really comment on is T-mobile. I've been with them for a few yrs now, I work all over the country and have never had a problem with them. I think they have merged with orange so T-mobile & orange now use the same masts.

I thought virgin used T-mobiles network - I may be wrong.

Avoid Orange like the plague, solely de to their "network coverage". I'd hazard a guess that their merger with T was driven alot as a PR campaign to show they're trying to make things better by additionally using T's masts.

Vodafone have excellent network coverage - I've never had problems, but their customer service shit, they're fairly pricey (can't wait for my 12months to end) and whenever I try and check my balance online I'm just bombarded with errors and "you're not allowed to view that".

Avoid Orange like the plague, solely de to their "network coverage". I'd hazard a guess that their merger with T was driven alot as a PR campaign to show they're trying to make things better by additionally using T's masts.

Vodafone have excellent network coverage - I've never had problems, but their customer service shit, they're fairly pricey (can't wait for my 12months to end) and whenever I try and check my balance online I'm just bombarded with errors and "you're not allowed to view that".

You need to speak to the people around you rather than us lot.

Network A may have better coverage then Network B with 97% population and 93% landmass but if there's a Network A blackspot in an important place to you (home, work, those garages with the datestamp) then Network A is a pointless choice.

Personally, I've had some issues with Orange (coverage and customer service) and don't like Tesco's business practices.

Your mileage may vary.

You need to speak to the people around you rather than us lot.

Network A may have better coverage then Network B with 97% population and 93% landmass but if there's a Network A blackspot in an important place to you (home, work, those garages with the datestamp) then Network A is a pointless choice.

Personally, I've had some issues with Orange (coverage and customer service) and don't like Tesco's business practices.

Your mileage may vary.

Wheel and tyre question now.

If I follow the Reg Bollox guide to DIY tyre swappage

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... ead=115874

Am I likely to do serious damage to a set of BMW alloy wheels (17" manufactured in 2001) when removing 45 profile tyres?

I'm not fussed about the cosmetics (they'll get refurbed as they're already kerbed), I'm more concerned about bending/breaking the rim.

I also have a scrap alloy (16") to practice on.

What do you think?

Wheel and tyre question now.

If I follow the Reg Bollox guide to DIY tyre swappage

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... ead=115874

Am I likely to do serious damage to a set of BMW alloy wheels (17" manufactured in 2001) when removing 45 profile tyres?

I'm not fussed about the cosmetics (they'll get refurbed as they're already kerbed), I'm more concerned about bending/breaking the rim.

I also have a scrap alloy (16") to practice on.

What do you think?

I've never tried on anything with that low a profile but you shouldn't need to use anywhere near enough effort on the levers to damage the wheel.

I don't use the Bo11ox method to break the bead, I put the wheel under my work van and use the base of the van's scissor jack to force the bead off. I normally have to do this on two or three places to release the bead completely and I use something like a housebrick on the other side to stop the wheel flipping up.

I've never tried on anything with that low a profile but you shouldn't need to use anywhere near enough effort on the levers to damage the wheel.

I don't use the Bo11ox method to break the bead, I put the wheel under my work van and use the base of the van's scissor jack to force the bead off. I normally have to do this on two or three places to release the bead completely and I use something like a housebrick on the other side to stop the wheel flipping up.

I'd say as long as you get the angle right (picture four) when you welly the brick hammer with the lump hammer you should be ok. If the edge of the brick hammer that makes contact with the wheel/tyre is too far inclined towards the wheel rather than the rubber you may do some damage. That probably sounds more complicated tahn it actually is, you'll see what I mean when you practise on the spare wheel.

Also (picture four again) I'd be tempted to try and stick a bit of rag 'twixt tyre and hammer and also between levers and hammer when removing tyres to try and minimise scratches/chips to the wheels.That's just how I'd do it with Reg's excellent guide as I do it a slightly different way but it doesn't mean my way is any better, it's just how I've done it over the years.

Cheers for the 'phone tips, I realise what you mean about local coverage and should have thought of that. Been with Orange for lightyears but just CBA with a contract when the latest PAYG deals are shit loads better.

Oddly enough T-mobile (the artist formerly known as None-to-None) have just crossed themselves off my list as just had a fairly epic convo with them over a long running debate about their shit service I'd forgotten about. Long story short they've just taken the piss with my daughter's 'phone contract (which muggins here pays for) and when I rang them to question the bill they said a lot of it was down to two 'long and expensive calls' to a 17 digit number they gave me. I hung up, checked the number (which I suspected to be bollocks) and guess what? Not only does it not exist but if you try and call it it just makes the unobtainable noise. Anyhow the cock rots called me back, I led them into a conversation about the number again, he gave me the 'expense' spiel so I told him the number didn't exist. They then said they'd call me back and when they did they offered a £15.00 refund 'but the 'phone calls to that number only came to 27p' :roll:

Some of the refund goes towards having all of about 41 seconds worth of (paid for) internet access since we've had the sodding 'phone apparantly, but there's another whole big storm abrewing about that.

So in a long winded, not very shortened version at all actually, T-mobrule can go suck a railway.

I'd say as long as you get the angle right (picture four) when you welly the brick hammer with the lump hammer you should be ok. If the edge of the brick hammer that makes contact with the wheel/tyre is too far inclined towards the wheel rather than the rubber you may do some damage. That probably sounds more complicated tahn it actually is, you'll see what I mean when you practise on the spare wheel.

Also (picture four again) I'd be tempted to try and stick a bit of rag 'twixt tyre and hammer and also between levers and hammer when removing tyres to try and minimise scratches/chips to the wheels.That's just how I'd do it with Reg's excellent guide as I do it a slightly different way but it doesn't mean my way is any better, it's just how I've done it over the years.

Cheers for the 'phone tips, I realise what you mean about local coverage and should have thought of that. Been with Orange for lightyears but just CBA with a contract when the latest PAYG deals are shit loads better.

Oddly enough T-mobile (the artist formerly known as None-to-None) have just crossed themselves off my list as just had a fairly epic convo with them over a long running debate about their shit service I'd forgotten about. Long story short they've just taken the piss with my daughter's 'phone contract (which muggins here pays for) and when I rang them to question the bill they said a lot of it was down to two 'long and expensive calls' to a 17 digit number they gave me. I hung up, checked the number (which I suspected to be bollocks) and guess what? Not only does it not exist but if you try and call it it just makes the unobtainable noise. Anyhow the cock rots called me back, I led them into a conversation about the number again, he gave me the 'expense' spiel so I told him the number didn't exist. They then said they'd call me back and when they did they offered a £15.00 refund 'but the 'phone calls to that number only came to 27p' :roll:

Some of the refund goes towards having all of about 41 seconds worth of (paid for) internet access since we've had the sodding 'phone apparantly, but there's another whole big storm abrewing about that.

So in a long winded, not very shortened version at all actually, T-mobrule can go suck a railway.

On mobiles, I've been with Orange for about 10 years on a pay as you go phone. I put about £5 on every 2-3 months because I only use the phone for emergencies or for other people to call me when I'm not at home. It puzzles the providers when they say than can beat my current deal and then find out how much I don't use a mobile. Sorry, this story is of no help to you at all.

On mobiles, I've been with Orange for about 10 years on a pay as you go phone. I put about £5 on every 2-3 months because I only use the phone for emergencies or for other people to call me when I'm not at home. It puzzles the providers when they say than can beat my current deal and then find out how much I don't use a mobile. Sorry, this story is of no help to you at all.

WARNING: Mobile-phone shite advice.

Orange aren't too bad, after merging with T-Mobile their coverage has improved and I am reasonably satisfied with them. I spent most of this afternoon in the miserable shithole that goes by the name of Cleethorpes, and I had very fast 3G internet coverage (which is very handy, as you can use your phone as a mobile modem for the laptop and have proper internet access everywhere). If you are happy with the coverage, just ring Orange, threaten to leave and tell them that you'll only consider staying if they give you a good sim-only 30-day contract.

I'm paying them a tenner and I get 300 minutes to mobiles, unlimited landline calls, 500MB of data and 100 texts. And I can stop it with a month's notice. Funnily enough, when they slapped increases on most of their customers due to 'inflationary pressures', it didn't occur to them to up the prices for 30-day contracts. :twisted:

WARNING: Mobile-phone shite advice.

Orange aren't too bad, after merging with T-Mobile their coverage has improved and I am reasonably satisfied with them. I spent most of this afternoon in the miserable shithole that goes by the name of Cleethorpes, and I had very fast 3G internet coverage (which is very handy, as you can use your phone as a mobile modem for the laptop and have proper internet access everywhere). If you are happy with the coverage, just ring Orange, threaten to leave and tell them that you'll only consider staying if they give you a good sim-only 30-day contract.

I'm paying them a tenner and I get 300 minutes to mobiles, unlimited landline calls, 500MB of data and 100 texts. And I can stop it with a month's notice. Funnily enough, when they slapped increases on most of their customers due to 'inflationary pressures', it didn't occur to them to up the prices for 30-day contracts. :twisted:

3 sound good to be fair, called them earlier and (whilst they're not likely to admit they only have two plastic cups and a length of string) they offered me 100 minutes, 3,000 texts (ideal as I'm too f*cking miserable to answer the 'phone and nobody likes me enough to call) and unlimited internet access for £13.00 per month, SIM only with no contract.

I just need to get my iPhone unlocked I think and Bob's yer former banging racing Mockney part time Autoshiter.