Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

It sounds to me you are heading towards Mercedes CLK territory.

Hope not! Would prefer something useful - load carrying and/or awd.

What kind of money do you have?

Friend of mine just bought a Hyundai Santa Clause as a fishing truck and is very happy with it.

That good eh? Hmm - might have to rethink then!

I'm trying to find something that has a presence on the road (I've been hit in stationary traffic too many times in small cars!) that hopefully wouldn't be a money pit and might not lose much value. I guess not being a money pit seems to write any Land Rover off, especially for the amount I'd like to pay.

For £2k I'd be looking at Mk1 Honda CRVs and early Mk2 Toyota RAV4s. My mum has used and abused a 2001 RAV4 for the last seven years and its still going strong and it's needed very little non-servicing work. Petrol ones come with 2.0 VVTi engines. Honda CRVs are just as reliable and have a more boxy, simple practical shape than the RAV4.

Of course, neither will match a Land Rover in the mud, although I can't imagine a 1800 Freelander is that good either.

Quick* question, y'all:

Would a 1997/8 Renault Scenic 1.9 dizzly bopper be a chain or belt engine please? Also how much twittering about is required to do a headgasket on one, are they a bit of a mare on these?

Thanks in advance.

*Does anyone ever ask a slow question?

Just idly looking at the New Panda as a possible replacement for Mrs_Outlaw's Festa.

She needs Bader-Mills spec, so, is the what is "Dualogic" transmission? It's £750 option on the 85bhp Multiair car, and you've got to specify Hill-hold and summat else too @ £315, so total is £1065!!! Just specc'ed it up to a reasonable level and it came to over £13k. FOR A FUCKING PANDA?!?!

So, any Fiat nerds care to enlighten me? Is it like a "normal" slushbox + paddles or summat?

Okay...I'm still on the hunt for a cheap set of larger steels for my peasant spec Pug 205 XE...

Spotted these on evilbay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-307-HDI-SW-Steel-Wheels-Ideal-For-Winter-Tyres-/221070685495?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item3378d6f537#ht_500wt_1413

Still 4 x 108 and 65.1mm centre bore...But from a 307 so ET is 18 - 27 (On the 205 it's 13 - 18)

Stupid question - Larger offset = wheel closer to hub?

Liable to fit, or rub like buggery on the arches, with 195 / 65 15's?

(Standard tyres on my car at 135 / 60 / 13 - But the 205 GTi runs 195 / 50 / 15's... :?: )

1. Is the rear washer tested in an MOT? (mine was blocked and then the motor went so I just removed it - front and rear are separate)

No - on the C5 estate mine packed in after a couple of months and I never got it sorted. Was never mentioned on any MOT over the 5+ years I had it.

Does anyone know if there's parts availability problems now Daihatsu have buggered off out the UK? My sister's looking for a new car around 3 and a bit grand and there's quite a nice Sirion I've spotted. I don't want to recommend it then find she can't get bits for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Daihatsu-Sirion-Standard-Car-1298cc-Petrol-/120934657310?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c28446d1e

I have this dash dial but I don't know what it's from. I'm guessing it's Vauxhall, but I've never been entirely sure. I want to use it in the Polo, but knowing what it came from might help with setting it up/repairing it if I need to as I don't even know if it works.

100728-04.jpg

Yo, garage workers!

How much pay should a trained (three years apprenticeship, just passed last bunch of exams and awaiting certificates) mechanic expect as wages please? 19 years old, experience gained in a small but busy 'non-main dealer' garage and at ease doing engine work, clutches etc.

Thanks in advance.