Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Parking in that there London. park it in my road, tell me what it is and I'll keep an eye on it. Edmonton Green is 10 mins walk and will take you to Seven Sisters or Liverpool Street, either will enable access to almost everywhere. Parking is free in my road. Plus good Turkish food places nearby.

I have had someone ask if my R11 is fine to run on unleaded. It's a 1986 Cleon engine, C1J I think.... the handbook has no information whatsoever regarding fuel type, and it's not run rough or smoked at all (I appreciate that putting unleaded into a non adapted engine doesn't necessarily cause those symptoms), but surely 32 years of unleaded would have killed it long ago if that were the case?

These have an aluminium head, so should have hardened seats already by around 1986. Most ali headed engines had hardened seats by the mid 80's. Should be fine. If it's the 1.4 Auto, it's not the highest tuned Cléon so it should be fine for a few years yet. Just keep an eye on the clearances if you hear any tappet rattle get quieter without you doing anything.

Seen a Mondeo to break in Doncaster which is 20 miles from me. Tell me would this work... buy it then immediately ring the AA on the basis I’ve broke down and get it towed home. Obviously I’d have to immobilise it by knackering the radiator up or busting the end of a plug. Would this work?

When I got day insurance through Aviva it was only two or three quid extra for breakdown insurance, but the only problem I see with your plan is if the engine is cold when the breakdown guy turns up. Unless it runs, that would be a different story unless it's something apparently obviously broken before hand.

Any tips for removing a bastard tailgate gas strut ball joint? The other 3 were easy but one just wont come apart. As far as I can see there is no wire safety clip, there weren't on any of the others either.  :shock:

Don't fret, job done. Hand cleanser and fine wire wool is ace for cleaning plastic trims.

When I got day insurance through Aviva it was only two or three quid extra for breakdown insurance, but the only problem I see with your plan is if the engine is cold when the breakdown guy turns up. Unless it runs, that would be a different story unless it's something apparently obviously broken before hand.

Givern how long it takes for them to turn up, especially in Donny, there'll be ice on it!

Find somebody with personal recovery cover, offer them a lift, get them to ring up. Sadly* I'm not available for a few days/weeks/years*!

Has the cap come apart and that should be attached to it?

OK so this is what's happened. Managed to get it out and top up the coolant. However when putting it back (which I had to do via the medium of hammering, I think I put it in too far/deep. Ran the engine for maybe ten minutes to get it up to temp and the coolant is boiling in the expansion tank. This means the system is not properly pressurised, doesn't it?

I'm going to get a new cap (hopefully tomorrow) but for the time being I need to use this busted one.

81c2f877bc4678c9c09ee22f3feab5ef.jpg40cbb117dcbf49d36112c372efd21b30.jpg39d7720059ab789b62a922d7afd9a666.jpg

17 year old daughter passed her test today - wahey!

Internet searched for insurance - boo!

Any secrets on how to get it a sensible quote?

Meg passed last Friday and Admiral were coming in at about £1250 on the compare sites but direct were £1050.

This is insurance in her name with both parents named. 

As a comparison the same car in the wife's name with the same three people on insurance was £1500!

No box and when Chuck has been with Admiral and they have been great as well as the cheapest.

Keep her as a main driver and then put yourself+other half as a named driver.

Also you could go black box. Then you can buy this as a present.

s-l400.png

Meg passed last Friday and Admiral were coming in at about £1250 on the compare sites but direct were £1050.

This is insurance in her name with both parents named. 

As a comparison the same car in the wife's name with the same three people on insurance was £1500!

No box and when Chuck has been with Admiral and they have been great as well as the cheapest.

Cheers T, Admiral insurance sorted. Acorn were similar price but personal recommendations are always good.

Retirement from this taxi job will be very liberating!

Any suggestions on Metal Working Dolly's? So many size and shapes that I have no idea what to get as a good all rounder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Body-Dent-Repair-Tool-Set-Professional-Hammer-Dolly-Kit-Garage-Workshop-DIY/202337442846?epid=8020274601&hash=item2f1c405c1e:g:ElYAAOSwJnlbG-PP

id say the top 2 are most used , but as with most tools you need a differant one for each job , so something like that set might come in handy 

When my daughter passed her test the best quote we got by along way was from Direct Line.This was for a 1.4 Lupo. Had to get a black box fitted though. It was £500/£600 IIRC

When my daughter passed her test the best quote we got by along way was from Direct Line.This was for a 1.4 Lupo. Had to get a black box fitted though. It was £500/£600 IIRC

That is stupid cheap.

Direct line couldn't get anywhere near for me when I did my searches despite being already a customer.