Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

I'm still being enormously indecisive about what to replace the Saab with, when the time comes. Disappointed at missing out on Bramz' C5 for the second time, I was browsing them on ebay.  I'd only really considered an early one because I want hydraulic suspension (yes, yes, I know, "oleo-pneumatic") but I found the more recent ones catching my eye.

Now, I know that proper suspension was available on higher-spec ones, but I don't know exactly what that means.  Was it linked to specific trim levels - so for example I can limit my search to Exclusives, and every Exclusive will have it?  Or was it a tick-box option, which means I'd have to dig into the small text of every single advert?

All C5 I &II have Hydractive suspension.On the C5 III that came out in 2008 only Exclusives have it,plus lower spec models on which the option box was ticked.I'd say that would be rarely done.But all Exclusives, definitely.

I wouldn't take anything at face value - Autotrader and ebay searches are only as good as the folk entering the ads - i.e. not very.  90% of the S Types that were listed as manual (they did make a few) turned out to be clearly auto from the pics.

Similarly I was looking for Factory HID lights - loads listed, very few actually had them.

South shiters - looking for a bit of advice for visiting THAT LONDON.

My brother and I are driving down, probably on Thursday 21st or Friday 22nd, we'll be leaving late at night to arrive there 7am-ish on either the Friday or Saturday.

I'm just looking for tips on somewhere, coming from the north, that I can park the car at for two days and get the tube or a train into Central London. Any tips much appreciated.

Premier Inn, Ilford.

Bottom of M11 & turn left! I believe it has (had when we stayed) a large carpark and free!

TubeStation across the road....

It's coming up to tyre time on the Corolla. We've seen some very keenly priced half decent tyres on the Oponeo website (Hankooks at £40 a corner).

With madam having her driving test soon and the current ditch finders being next to useless even in the dry, need to put some decent rubber on this car. For once the wife is letting me pick the tyres on her car, as she's always had the cheapest tyres fitted. Are they a decent place to order from?

Are there fitting fees to be added to the price?

South shiters - looking for a bit of advice for visiting THAT LONDON.

My brother and I are driving down, probably on Thursday 21st or Friday 22nd, we'll be leaving late at night to arrive there 7am-ish on either the Friday or Saturday.

I'm just looking for tips on somewhere, coming from the north, that I can park the car at for two days and get the tube or a train into Central London. Any tips much appreciated.

17 paand per 24 hrs in Camden. Lmk and I'll buzz you the address.

It's coming up to tyre time on the Corolla. We've seen some very keenly priced half decent tyres on the Oponeo website (Hankooks at £40 a corner).

With madam having her driving test soon and the current ditch finders being next to useless even in the dry, need to put some decent rubber on this car. For once the wife is letting me pick the tyres on her car, as she's always had the cheapest tyres fitted. Are they a decent place to order from?

Are there fitting fees to be added to the price?

Oponeo are ok,Hankooks are ok, will need fitting paid for if you didn't ask for it

Oponeo are ok,Hankooks are ok, will need fitting paid for if you didn't ask for it

Many thanks for that, I managed (eventually) to find on their website the fitting fees. In the end we found a good deal on a set of Falkens through Tyres on the drive at £46 a corner with 10% off if purchasing 4. A-rated for wet grip. The current ones on the car I've discovered are rated G, probably why it's so dangerous in the wet.

I've had Hankooks in the past and always found them to be really good tyres - had them on my Cougar & Felicia. I've never had Falkens, so hope they work out being a good buy.

The wife normally fits cheapies to the Corolla and doesn't consider things such as wet grip and transmitted noise, but as we're letting the teenager have the car when she's passed her test we want her driving something that doesn't slip & slide around!

This is 100% un-car related but I didn't think it merited it's own topic - feel free to delete.

Any shtiers have ticket purchase history for Fulham FC?

My brother and I are going to that London on the 22nd and were planning on going to the game against Watford. Seeing as Watford have sold out their away allocation, they won't put home end tickets on general sale, not even to a pair of Scottish idiots 400 miles away, despite there being empty seats galore. 

How would I know which bit of my enigne is fucked?  (AMC) I suspect the main bearings or maybe big ends - there's an ominous low rumbling.  I am likely to change it for the spare engine so am just asking out of interest really.

Take the sump off & look.

This is 100% un-car related but I didn't think it merited it's own topic - feel free to delete.

Any shtiers have ticket purchase history for Fulham FC?

My brother and I are going to that London on the 22nd and were planning on going to the game against Watford. Seeing as Watford have sold out their away allocation, they won't put home end tickets on general sale, not even to a pair of Scottish idiots 400 miles away, despite there being empty seats galore. 

That's why we the thread that was previously known as the non-car stupid questions thread http://autoshite.com/topic/23231-the-non-car-question-thread/page-53

Seen a Mondeo to break in Doncaster which is 20 miles from me. Tell me would this work... buy it then immediately ring the AA on the basis I’ve broke down and get it towed home. Obviously I’d have to immobilise it by knackering the radiator up or busting the end of a plug. Would this work?

Technically I think that would be insurance fraud (iirc breakdown cover is a type of insurance).

I have had someone ask if my R11 is fine to run on unleaded. It's a 1986 Cleon engine, C1J I think.... the handbook has no information whatsoever regarding fuel type, and it's not run rough or smoked at all (I appreciate that putting unleaded into a non adapted engine doesn't necessarily cause those symptoms), but surely 32 years of unleaded would have killed it long ago if that were the case?

Seen a Mondeo to break in Doncaster which is 20 miles from me. Tell me would this work... buy it then immediately ring the AA on the basis I’ve broke down and get it towed home. Obviously I’d have to immobilise it by knackering the radiator up or busting the end of a plug. Would this work?

Assuming it’s not taxed and tested? They’ll be well within their rights to tell you to do one if so.

If its tax & tested, buy insurance online from the company with the least rinsey admin fees, drive home, cancel insurance, get nearly all of it back as a refund.

If no test etc, post on local "carz, xboxes and fighting dogs 4 sale" Facebook group, a generic scallywag with a ropey looking beavertail transit should move it 20 miles for not many quid.

Audi 80 (B4) track rod ends.

I'm trying to change the offside one on mine. I've (after many expletives, a trip to the DIY shop to buy a 22mm spanner, and liberal use of a lump hammer, crowbar and nut splitter) managed to get the lock nut cracked off and the ball joint nut removed, but the TRE is still showing little interest in coming undone. There appears to be a collar which goes over the inside end of the TRE, and which is separate from the lock nut - I'm assuming it's also separate from the TRE as the replacement doesn't have one. So does it have to come off before the TRE can be removed, and if so, how does one get it off? Is it just a case of twatting it with a hammer and screwdriver until it lets go, or is there a particular way of doing it?

When I really can’t get a TRE shifted I found that if I put a pipe wench on it (ones of those that get tighter the more you turn it) and then use a jack to jack up the handle end of the wrench it normally shifts them.

I have had someone ask if my R11 is fine to run on unleaded. It's a 1986 Cleon engine, C1J I think.... the handbook has no information whatsoever regarding fuel type, and it's not run rough or smoked at all (I appreciate that putting unleaded into a non adapted engine doesn't necessarily cause those symptoms), but surely 32 years of unleaded would have killed it long ago if that were the case?

If it has an aluminium head it will be ok, otherwise I’m not sure.

How would I know which bit of my enigne is fucked?  (AMC) I suspect the main bearings or maybe big ends - there's an ominous low rumbling.  I am likely to change it for the spare engine so am just asking out of interest really.

Rumbling I would interpret as main bearings. Rumbly mains can go on for quite some time.

Big end failure produces a vicious hammering sound which changes greatly with torque and revs in the early stages and ends with seizure and/or shrapnel.