Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Yo.

Complete refurbishment of the Pinto top end commenced last night. I learnt so much - so huge thanks to Alf892.

What I now need is a complete head set for a pinto. What brand would be considered respected for this? By the time we've put all of this time, effort and love into the gig - it deserves 'nice things'.

Thanks.

CVH valve stem seals seem to be a popular modification, I used a quality top end set and the HG went between 2&3 after about 10k, next one was whatever the motor factors had in stock and cheaper and has been fine (touch wood) for over 10k.

There are some bad gaskets about, there's been a spate of them going quickly on transits after replacement, I think people were recommending a Reinz head gasket for lots of money.

What software can I use for splicing bits of video together to make something to go on youtube?  I'm assuming most people don't want to watch 5 minutes of my talking to my nearly two year old about how rubbish the car is..

f6a6a28c9889d7baf230d3d4765fb804.jpg

Today’s mystery objects, a set of four found in the back of the Saab estate along with a bottle of Saab screenwash that might have been there from new.

Maybe I am the first person to look in the side bin in 18 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f6a6a28c9889d7baf230d3d4765fb804.jpg

Today’s mystery objects, a set of four found in the back of the Saab estate along with a bottle of Saab screenwash that might have been there from new.

Maybe I am the first person to look in the side bin in 18 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are cargo lashing eyes that fit into the load compartment rails.

They are cargo lashing eyes that fit into the load compartment rails.

I will investigate, are the rails under the fore and aft plastic trims between the spare wheel lid and the side bin covers. Or maybe Beeching axed mine.

Edit/ yep the rails are there. Now I need to find something to strap down. MrsDS says not her :)

What Vauxhall are these keys from? I found them in my charity shop after opening up this morning.

FDF624C6-3EC1-41BF-8A7E-150BB2E64114.jpeg

A5656557-D25A-4254-845E-0583E93A3A6F.jpeg

One has the style of Griffin introduced in 1971, the other has the previous style. If they are from the same car, that would suggest it dates from 1971 or soon after.

South shiters - looking for a bit of advice for visiting THAT LONDON.

My brother and I are driving down, probably on Thursday 21st or Friday 22nd, we'll be leaving late at night to arrive there 7am-ish on either the Friday or Saturday.

I'm just looking for tips on somewhere, coming from the north, that I can park the car at for two days and get the tube or a train into Central London. Any tips much appreciated.

South shiters - looking for a bit of advice for visiting THAT LONDON.

My brother and I are driving down, probably on Thursday 21st or Friday 22nd, we'll be leaving late at night to arrive there 7am-ish on either the Friday or Saturday.

I'm just looking for tips on somewhere, coming from the north, that I can park the car at for two days and get the tube or a train into Central London. Any tips much appreciated.

There was a recent thread asking this - started by Cavcraft maybe, if you do a search?

I grew up in Petts Wood and I sometimes park the car there (free parking within 5 minutes walk from the station) and get the train in.  It's the wrong side of London for you but there must be a similar suburb on the northern end of town!

I'm still being enormously indecisive about what to replace the Saab with, when the time comes. Disappointed at missing out on Bramz' C5 for the second time, I was browsing them on ebay.  I'd only really considered an early one because I want hydraulic suspension (yes, yes, I know, "oleo-pneumatic") but I found the more recent ones catching my eye.

Now, I know that proper suspension was available on higher-spec ones, but I don't know exactly what that means.  Was it linked to specific trim levels - so for example I can limit my search to Exclusives, and every Exclusive will have it?  Or was it a tick-box option, which means I'd have to dig into the small text of every single advert?

I'm still being enormously indecisive about what to replace the Saab with, when the time comes. Disappointed at missing out on Bramz' C5 for the second time, I was browsing them on ebay. I'd only really considered an early one because I want hydraulic suspension (yes, yes, I know, "oleo-pneumatic") but I found the more recent ones catching my eye.

Now, I know that proper suspension was available on higher-spec ones, but I don't know exactly what that means. Was it linked to specific trim levels - so for example I can limit my search to Exclusives, and every Exclusive will have it? Or was it a tick-box option, which means I'd have to dig into the small text of every single advert?

All C5 I &II have Hydractive suspension.On the C5 III that came out in 2008 only Exclusives have it,plus lower spec models on which the option box was ticked.I'd say that would be rarely done.But all Exclusives, definitely.

Yo.

Complete refurbishment of the Pinto top end commenced last night. I learnt so much - so huge thanks to Alf892.

What I now need is a complete head set for a pinto. What brand would be considered respected for this? By the time we've put all of this time, effort and love into the gig - it deserves 'nice things'.

Thanks.

When I was selling gaskets, Payen were the ones to have.

Mind that was 10 years ago. (today spookily enough).

All C5 I &II have Hydractive suspension.On the C5 III that came out in 2008 only Exclusives have it,plus lower spec models on which the option box was ticked.I'd say that would be rarely done.But all Exclusives, definitely.

Thank you! The mk III wasn't really on my radar but they're surprisingly inexpensive - and I can't believe they're ten years old now...

The C5 II is a really nice car although not at all sporty.Very roomy with great comfort and with the gormless look of the original model much improved.Pretty cheap now and even the dreaded 1.6HDi can last up to 200k and beyond if looked after.We sold our 1.6 last year and it's now well past 300k kilometres with the friend we sold it to.A 2.0 HDi 16v gives the best balance of performance and economy.

KWbrbvA.jpg

Edit, is it actually a MGBGT? Angles look wrong to me but maybe that's what it is.

looks like it to me, windscreen looks right and tailgate edge/ rear roof line is also correct. I think the reflection of the tower block is creating a curve in the roof that isn’t there in reality and making it look different.

Audi 80 (B4) track rod ends.

I'm trying to change the offside one on mine.  I've (after many expletives, a trip to the DIY shop to buy a 22mm spanner, and liberal use of a lump hammer, crowbar and nut splitter) managed to get the lock nut cracked off and the ball joint nut removed, but the TRE is still showing little interest in coming undone.  There appears to be a collar which goes over the inside end of the TRE, and which is separate from the lock nut - I'm assuming it's also separate from the TRE as the replacement doesn't have one.  So does it have to come off before the TRE can be removed, and if so, how does one get it off?  Is it just a case of twatting it with a hammer and screwdriver until it lets go, or is there a particular way of doing it?

post-20078-0-74084200-1535874558_thumb.jpeg

Sounds similar to the old BMW arrangement. Undo the lock nut, smack the ring to shift it then spend the next half hour trying to free off as the TRE would be seized on the track rod.

If it won't free off you may have to replace the assembly.

The idea of splitting the TRE was originally done by TWR/Jaguar for the XJR sports cars - far less likely to fail on the old Mulsanne straight.

Advice please folks:

Shitroen C4GP heater blower goes flat out when engine is started and cannot be switched off using control panel by driver's door, lights go up and down on fan emblem but no change in fan speed, is it the resistor pack?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

If memory serves me right, yes it is the resistor that's packed up. It's blowing constantly as an emergency fail safe so the windows don't fog up whilst driving to your nearest lemon flavored dealer for repair.

I'm not saying Pajeros are bad,just that some others are a bit better.That's still much better than a lot of Land Rover products.At the right price a Pajeros can be a good buy.My personal preference would be for an Isuzu TFS 3.1 if one could be found.

Ah, but with a land Rover at least you know that it'll break. Much better than having something that 'might' go on you. Better to be sure than sorry. Throw a hammer and some cable ties in the back to make your LR up to 62% reliable.