Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

And as others have mentioned the DPF doesn’t like short trips, I don’t know anyone with one used for round town ambling that hasnt had expensive hassles with them.

You'd think I know the answer to this....

I took out an insurance policy a few months ago (July) and now no longer need it. It's all paid as it was never a monthly payment policy. If I cancel it, do I get a proportionate refund?

Reason for cancelling is they're a bit pricey plus my other insurers are the ones who allow about a billion swaps without any flags so ideal for me.

Just rang up about this. I'd get a pretty decent refund so I think thats my mind made up

• Like 1

Depends how much you like driving early 00's Corsa's, the interiors are woeful, and they really only should be driven by women of a certain age.

Thats a bit of surgery too far for me then. I fell over the car as its parked half on the pavement and naively thought it looked cheap. Ive been back and looked inside, and by fuck it does look cheap.

Why not get a nice S60 petrol?

SMOLLness is a requirement, S40 is a bit bigger than she'd normally go for but she likes the look of them.

If the dizzler is a 1.6HDi with a DPF then it can just Supernaut nope gif it's way into the sea, I'll pay the extra tax on the pez version myself if I have to.

• Like 2

Two things.

1. I am going to new four tires soon ( swapped fronts to rears a good few month ago ) and put close to 15k on these ones.  Any recommendations for budget brands?

2. Exhaust is 100% apart from the silencer, i've booked the car in for Friday am I legal driving the bugger down?

1. We fitted Falken Sinceras to the Corolla recently. Budget to mid-range, decent grip in the wet and low road noise. I think we paid £45 per corner through tyres on the drive. Get a weird air-raid siren like drone at some speeds is the only  criticism http://autoshite.com/topic/30942-1999-corolla-e110-new-boots-review/?p=1608743

2. Depends on where the silencer is - rear one totally missing might attract a blue light. If intermediate one less likely to. You can be done for not having a roadworthy vehicle, however a reasonable copper would probably let you off if you tell him you're taking it to a garage to have a new bit fitted, if need be call them on from your mobile for Mr Police to speak. He may follow you there to prove you're not spinning a yarn. I would certainly drive with a featherweight foot as not to attract attention.

The rear silencer is right where the pipe exits under the rear bumper, the pipes split due to rust from the silencer, so it's pretty much straight through right now.   Got texts from the garage stating when we are booked in tomorrow.

Thanks all the tips on tires :D

You should be left alone with that, the tailpipe fell* off on the way* there.

Ah, in that case someone has removed mine completely. There is an empty hole on the underside of both mirrors.

If you think the connection to the loom is still there, a new sensor can be procured from the bay of e iirc. I'll look out a link if you still need it.

Is this the right place to ask for HELP !  re. selling a motorcycle and getting paid via Paypal ? 

I have my bike on ebay. I have my email address on that ad, and this morning I received a query 'was it still for sale ?' 

I thought to myself "well it's on ebay isn't it ?" but still I politely replied "it is presently still available" along with my home and mbl telephone numbers.

I've now received this :

Thanks for your response,
I want you to consider this a deal as i am willing to pay your full asking price! i actually want to buy it for a relative who is in need of it, i have checked through your advert and i'm fully satisfied with it.
Unfortunately, i would not be able to come personally to collect but would send my courier agent to collect after you have fully received your money, i work offshore so i don't have time at all, but like i said i am 100% OK with the advert.
However, I will pay you via PayPal once you are ready and send my courier agent after you have received your money as that is the only means of payment available to me at the moment. I would also appreciate if you could remove the advert asap.
If that's Ok with you please get back to me with a suitable collection time.

It seems odd to me.  Had I been in that situation then I would simply have said, "Great, Thanks, Yes I'd like to buy it.  I'm offshore at the moment so if it's OK then I'll pay via Paypal, and let that clear before having the bike collected from you. I will of course pay any Paypal fees. Is that OK with you "

..but if it is a scam then I don't know how it works. 

Can the Paypal payment be taken back or otherwise cause me a lot of grief ?  If I move the bike to another location (like the marina where my boat is) for pick-up then surely that would protect my home and other vehicles from the unscrupulous.  

Aside from someone having to pay the Paypal fees,  what do you street-wiser Autoshiters think or might advise ?

Thanks,

Bfg.

Is this the right place to ask for HELP ! re. selling a motorcycle and getting paid via Paypal ?

I have my bike on ebay. I have my email address on that ad, and this morning I received a query 'was it still for sale ?'

I thought to myself "well it's on ebay isn't it ?" but still I politely replied "it is presently still available" along with my home and mbl telephone numbers.

I've now received this :

I want you to consider this a deal as i am willing to pay your full asking price! i actually want to buy it for a relative who is in need of it, i have checked through your advert and i'm fully satisfied with it.

Unfortunately, i would not be able to come personally to collect but would send my courier agent to collect after you have fully received your money, i work offshore so i don't have time at all, but like i said i am 100% OK with the advert.

However, I will pay you via PayPal once you are ready and send my courier agent after you have received your money as that is the only means of payment available to me at the moment. I would also appreciate if you could remove the advert asap.

It seems odd to me ..but if it is a scam then I don't know how it works.

Can the Paypal payment be taken back or otherwise cause me a lot of grief ? If I move the bike to another location (like the marina where my boat is) for pick-up then surely that would protect my home and other vehicles from the unscrupulous.

Aside from someone having to pay the Paypal fees, what do you street-wiser Autoshiters think or might advise ?

Thanks,

Bfg.

I'd avoid like the plague. Definitely stinks of a scam. PayPal can easily be reversed. Even PayPal Gift can be in exceptional circumstances apparently.

Stuff like that, buyer in person and cash in hand.

Is this the right place to ask for HELP !  re. selling a motorcycle and getting paid via Paypal ? 

I've now received this :

It seems odd to me.  Had I been in that situation then I would simply have said, "Great, Thanks, Yes I'd like to buy it.  I'm offshore at the moment so if it's OK then I'll pay via Paypal, and let that clear before having the bike collected from you. I will of course pay any Paypal fees. Is that OK with you "

Can the Paypal payment be taken back or otherwise cause me a lot of grief ?  If I move the bike to another location (like the marina where my boat is) for pick-up then surely that would protect my home and other vehicles from the unscrupulous.  

Aside from someone having to pay the Paypal fees,  what do you street-wiser Autoshiters think or might advise ?

Thanks,

Bfg.

Scam! run away!

I'm an old giffer so I don't quite understand ..   this is what I see on the Paypal website.

" Can I cancel a PayPal payment?

Some payments can be cancelled while others cannot. You may only cancel a payment in your 'Pending' payments which shows as Unclaimed, meaning it hasn’t reached the intended recipient. These payments are displayed with a ‘Cancel’ button alongside. If a payment is Completed this means the money has already reached the other party, so it can’t be cancelled.

You may still ask the recipient for a refund. If you’re refused a refund, but feel that you’re entitled to one, you can open a dispute to discuss this with the seller via the Resolution Centre. If this doesn’t help you can escalate your dispute to a claim, for PayPal to resolve if necessary. "

So surely I simply need to claim the payment and transfer it to my own bank account, before having the bike collected ?

Thanks,

Bfg.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Access-and-security/is-this-gumtree-ad-email-a-scam/td-p/1081438

If you google the first line of the reply you have had you'll find the exact wording comes up on multiple sites - kinda odd if you were getting an actual response no?

There are various ways for the scam to work - one is for the "buyer" to send you confirmation e-mails that look as if they are from paypal - there are some quite convincing fakes about. Another is for them to pay you from a paypal account that is funded from a stolen or cloned credit card - you may appear to get the funds but then Paypal takes them back.

Another is they purport to pay via Western Union but you don't get paid.

Only one thing is certain - it is 100% cast iron a scam.

• Like 1

I actually came on to ask what people are using to heat up beeding bleed nipples that won't shift.

There's a fella on youtube using a plumber's type blowtorch but I never had much luck with those - should I get a propane torch (I have propane for the space heater) or one of those little mapgas thingies?  I can't stretch to an induction thing (unless they are suddenly under £100)

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Access-and-security/is-this-gumtree-ad-email-a-scam/td-p/1081438

If you google the first line of the reply you have had you'll find the exact wording comes up on multiple sites - kinda odd if you were getting an actual response no?

There are various ways for the scam to work - one is for the "buyer" to send you confirmation e-mails that look as if they are from paypal - there are some quite convincing fakes about. Another is for them to pay you from a paypal account that is funded from a stolen or cloned credit card - you may appear to get the funds but then Paypal takes them back.

Another is they purport to pay via Western Union but you don't get paid.

Only one thing is certain - it is 100% cast iron a scam.

Many thanks indeed to all who replied so very quickly.  Yes I must conclude it was a spam and so I've forwarded it to :  spoof@paypal.com  and I've deleted the email.  I had not replied nor clicked on any link from the email, so my Paypal account ought to be safe, but still I'll clear my Firefox browsing history completely and restart the computer before change my Paypal password again ..just in case.  Again many thanks for your kind and timely response and advice.

Bfg

• Like 2

There are various versions of that scam, whether its paypal or cheque or other money transfer the "buyer" will be elsewhere but will happily pay your asking price, or more. Sometimes they want to send you the "courier fees" and you pay the "courier" in cash.

Naturally once the item is gone the payment is reversed and you're left with no bike and possibly also money down.

A variation would be a similar thing but using convincing looking fake paypal emails to convince you the money is there when it's not.

Cash or bank transfer only, preferably in person.

I actually came on to ask what people are using to heat up beeding bleed nipples that won't shift.

There's a fella on youtube using a plumber's type blowtorch but I never had much luck with those - should I get a propane torch (I have propane for the space heater) or one of those little mapgas thingies?  I can't stretch to an induction thing (unless they are suddenly under £100)

I've actually used these little critters on bleed nipple nuts - they seem to work well and don't mash the nut too much, oftentimes it just needs a hefty yank with a spanner and it's away, knock out the extractor with a BFO hammer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Nut-Stud-Remover-Damaged-Screw-Broken-Bolt-Extractor-Removal-Locking-Socket-Tool/28023981827?iid=153187896102

I've actually used these little critters on bleed nipple nuts - they seem to work well and don't mash the nut too much, oftentimes it just needs a hefty yank with a spanner and it's away, knock out the extractor with a BFO hammer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Nut-Stud-Remover-Damaged-Screw-Broken-Bolt-Extractor-Removal-Locking-Socket-Tool/28023981827?iid=153187896102

Thanks - isn't there a risk of snapping the nipple off flush with the caliper with those?

I have a socket and BFO socket wrench that will apply plenty torque without (so far) rounding off the hex - the issue is I don't want to just putting more force in as it's very obviously going to snap if I do, given the size of it.

I have had luck with drill bit method.

So find a drill bit that fits in the middle of the bleed valve. It then stops the valve collapsing in the middle when opened.

I have had luck with drill bit method.

So find a drill bit that fits in the middle of the bleed valve. It then stops the valve collapsing in the middle when opened.

That’s genius! How have I got this old and wrinkled and never come across it?

I’ve also been looking at these on AliExpress, if you do get one please let us know how you get on with it

• Like 2

I’ve also been looking at these on AliExpress, if you do get one please let us know how you get on with it

That sounds like a challenge.

Will get one ordered

There's a fella on youtube using a plumber's type blowtorch but I never had much luck with those - should I get a propane torch (I have propane for the space heater) or one of those little mapgas thingies? I can't stretch to an induction thing (unless they are suddenly under £100)

Gentle sustained heat then spray on some of that freeze spray and get working quick with the brake pipe spanner.

Induction heating is awesome, my best mate and partner in automotive crime is an electronics engineer who designs and builds induction heating systems for making high end fibre optics. He has a test rig we messed about with when stripping his MX5, it gets a 17mm nut glowing hot Ina few seconds and made life much easier.