What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 minutes ago, goosey said:

Delicious 

Struggle to work out which of the many silver cars is your silver car? Does your silver car just disappear into the background of other silver cars?

If you have this problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them......then you too can have luminous wheels

Delightful little Hillman Minx Californian trundled past Pat and I earlier today.  It looked brand new and was resplendant in primrose yellow with a black roof, just like the advert.  No picture, sadly, it was gone past too quickly.

hillman_minx_18.jpg.2c312bedae38e598c327f20182c3daa3.jpg

I actually wonder if might be the one that sold on C&C.  There aren't many Californians left and the chances of there being another in this colour combo is pretty slim.

4993834.jpg.536fc4d3efade4a59f1e5448ea45a94a.jpg

So, I'm parked in a one hour slot on the main road just past Barnsley General Hospital awaiting Mrs BMH (I was not allowed in with her for her appointment). I parked as far back in the marked zone as possible to allow another vehicle in front. 

Three people in Disco's and Range Rovers tried to back into the space. Third one actually asked me to move backwards so he could get in, fucked if I was going to move. Suggested he bought a smaller car, amusingly he agreed it hadn't been a good choice.

Eventually a bloke in a Q5 backed into the space with no problems.

Changed my all Audi drivers are ****s attitude.

There’s nobody in this world about to cry me a river, but I’ve been really stressed out recently. So today, I spent the whole morning at Albert Looms scrap yard in Derby.

I spent my childhood there, scavenging wooden dashboard for Triumph Dolomites and hydrogas displacers for Austin Princesses.

Today’s hunt was for Panda parts and I had a huge amount of success, along with drooling over a V6 Espace and various other hopeless tat.

I know some people take an all inclusive break, but Looms’ is still a fabulous place to get away from it all….

I too spent a lot of my childhood in proper scrapyards. I miss them. 

My favourite one was in Haverfordwest, very small, but often had some interesting stuff. The owner was one of my father's cronies, so while they had a mug of tea and a chat in the office (which I remember as a tram, but more likely to have been an ancient double decker bus) I would be playing in the decrepit cars. I was particularly taken by a 30s Rolls Royce but my father was too mean (sensible) to buy it for me, I was probably about 5 at the time.

19 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

There’s nobody in this world about to cry me a river, but I’ve been really stressed out recently. So today, I spent the whole morning at Albert Looms scrap yard in Derby.

I spent my childhood there, scavenging wooden dashboard for Triumph Dolomites and hydrogas displacers for Austin Princesses.

Today’s hunt was for Panda parts and I had a huge amount of success, along with drooling over a V6 Espace and various other hopeless tat.

I know some people take an all inclusive break, but Looms’ is still a fabulous place to get away from it all….

I was pleased to see that my local scrappy has, since Covid, taken a new approach. They actually encourage people to DIY (Dismantle it yourself).

That was half the fun of the scrappy. Going round all the old crud and looking for those hard-to-get special bits. I'm desperately looking for a cheeky spoiler or skirts for my MR2 - even if they need a bit of filler or a respray. But they've got wise to it and simply put all the best bits on eBay with ridiculous asking prices.