The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

43 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I guess owner died and family just wanted to get rid of it.

Id say the owner probably bought it at night, then in the morning see it for the first time and realised what an awful looking car they are. 

Its like 3 guys who never met each other designed it, one got the top, the other the bottom and last guy did the wheelbase. 

The back half is like when you start to run out of space on the paper as you write a long sentance.

9 minutes ago, Mally said:

Did the Mayflower have a wooden frame like the Renown

Unitary steel.

5 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Id say the owner probably bought it at night, then in the morning see it for the first time and realised what an awful looking car they are. 

Its like 3 guys who never met each other designed it, one got the top, the other the bottom and last guy did the wheelbase. 

The back half is like when you start to run out of space on the paper as you write a long sentance.

I'm not what you'd call a fan of the Mayflower, but that stupid twee colour scheme doesn't do it any favours. Something a bit quieter would be an improvement.1949-1953-triumph-mayflower-1381_3608_969x727.jpg.778ca6b866c9be7a98b4c2b700ba2354.jpg

Today I have mainly been spending an obscene amount of money.  Among other things I've spent over £250 on bits for the Volvo, the bulk of which was made up of two tyres (I went for a pair of little-used part worn Dunlops in the end rather than new Nankangs) and a pair of rear brake discs.  I've also bought a new rear tyre for the Mobylette, and a new Noco jump starter, although the majority of that was paid for by Halfords vouchers I got from work.

23 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

It is much better than most cars made in the last 25 years.

Which is not difficult. They are weird and not the prettiest from the time period, but I like them anyway. I can say the same about the Vanguard 2 as @vulgalour posted.

But in my opinion, even the ugliest pre 1960 car is better looking than the best looking modern one.

13 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Imported in 1996 apparently. Shown a bit too:

http://triumphmayflowerclub.com/events/rallies/northernrally2017/

I wonder how it ended up looking a bit down at heel on a used car lot? 

11 hours ago, brownnova said:

Top sleuthing! Wonder where from?

not sure it has been imported from anywhere, looks a lot more like a V765 Jobby to me :) 

as in someone in 1996 found it in a barn or such got it back on the road and registered with the DVLA in 1996 with sufficient evidence to claim back its original registration mark PWJ737 is a late 1960's Boeing before engine upgrades period May 1953 Sheffield registration mark, the archives of which still exist so you could see who first registered it/owned it and correct the date of first registration with the DVLA :) 

The only things the white ones near us illuminate is our bedroom window and about a 5" spot on the floor underneath them.  Everything else is pitch blackness and exactly the point pedestrians choose to cross.  Such and improvement* on the old orange lamps.

On 2/27/2023 at 7:51 AM, wesacosa said:

Not just the gavel the old sod bangs then?🤣

1 hour ago, HillmanImp said:

A quick google suggests that some councils are putting up red street lights to help bats. Might be the same here, there could be an important bat population nearby. 

Red lighting and bats?  Do you want goths?  Because that's how you get goths.

The modern needed new summer tires and a set of rims and since it was difficult to find used and new steel rims here in Norway, I had to buy new ones online. The only site I found steel rims and tires was on a website belonging to Delticom in Germany with mixed reviews, but I took the chance and bought from there. So 3 nervous weeks later where the wheels disappeared a week in tracking  they were delivered and I'm relieved.

So far everything looks good, it was also positive that the Toyo tires were made in Japan, all that remains is that they fit the car as they should and the tpms works, which I will know in about 6 weeks. So if it does, I will buy from them again.

And am I the only one who loves the smell of new tires and shiny and nice steel rims?

20230228_154633.thumb.jpg.d05c02d8723e58e01cb62285736902b3.jpg

And the tire size is 155/70R13 if anyone is wondering which is nice and also cheap.