The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, stuboy said:

Been up to the beach villa and missus wanted to make a start on the storage cupboard it's full of tat.. but found 3 old chairs.. any idea on age and this speedo without a lense.. any idea where from?

20220828_200734.jpg

20220828_175544.jpg

What material on the chairs? If nasty plasticky, could be late 60's

20220828_191844.thumb.jpg.05c05815b0f2a9ad5cf8d23ddddcf884.jpg

Emptied 1.5 wheelie bins full of stuff from the back corner of the garage, mostly Christmas decorations. Need to make a push on to get this sorted.

Plan is this week to relocate the engine to in the car; one nice thing, found the driver's side door trim. It's a bit bent but otherwise good. Just missing one more for the back passenger side.

Propshaft looks pretty rusty.

I have taken the red 93 off the road for the time being as its got quite a significant oil leak and is making a mess of the drive. It looks like the vacuum pump which I have read is a common point and have ordered a seal kit. Doesn't look too bad a job to change.

Took apart the old SAM module of CLK - totally fucking fucked with corrosion everywhere so I'm impressed car kept running perfectly for as long as it did. Suspension bits and brake lines also rubbed down, rust treated and painted on all four corners. Rust was creeping through on the underside so that's all now nipped in the bud. Found an aerosol of caliper paint lying around, so gave the calipers a quick spray too. And added the annual ritual of grinding down surface rust on all 4 wings, door bottoms, boot lock and bonnet area underneath grille. Now all filled, primed & painted. Also spotted a registration lamp bulb out, replaced with a bulb from my old XJ-S stash. CLK sailed through the MOT without advisories.  Well worth the effort overall for another year of extremely cheap and comfortable shiteing. 

2022-08-26 09.05.49.jpg

2022-08-25 11.47.09.jpg

2022-08-26 09.05.59.jpg

And done. Looks like I've used a roller to apply the lacquer but it's shiny enough and I can always wet sand the entire thing if I wish, when everything's hardened up some more. For doing it outside, with spray cans and acrylic lacquer, I'm happy.

PXL_20220829_143609649_MP.thumb.jpg.0e9260d985a39d7011057cd792ba60b7.jpg

My son persuaded me to give my Reliant some attention today.  It was touch and go because I was comfortable in my armchair.  The Reliant started without bother and the brakes, lights, indicators, stop lights, wipers and horn all worked (amateur MOT done 😃).  I took it for a slow trundle in our cul-de-sac and found the steering to be  heavier than usual, so clearly the tyres needed some air.  Front was at 8psi and rears at 10psi but, being cross plies propping up only 406kg, they looked ok.  I let my son do the tyre inflating because I struggle to get to the front wheel.  With the tyres at the correct pressures and rather than shove the thing back in the garage before it breaks down - which was my cautious preference - I decided to live dangerously and drive around the estate.  The car is fully road legal and insured, the danger was simply that it was being driven by someone with very limited mobility who did not fancy a walk home.  For some reassurance, my son followed in his Tipo (we are a two Tipo family - mine is a '94 model, his is a 2016 diesel).  One circuit of the estate, about a mile, did not show any imminent problems so I went round again. No snags at all.  I was driving with the internal engine cowling removed so that I could see, hear and smell the engine on these noisy test runs.  All seemed well.  I had something to eat, then with my son following again and the cowling in place for a much quieter and cooler experience I went around the estate once more, then thought 'if I'm selling this soon, it could be the last time I ever drive it.'  Instead of turning into our road, I had an almost involuntary urge to continue driving and therefore found myself waiting for the traffic lights to change before unleashing 17.5bhp on to the A43 dual carriageway.  The lights took forever but the engine saved me from embarrassment by ticking over nicely.  A green light signalled more excitement, and risk.  I accelerated* and gradually let the speed* build up until the speedo was waving around near 50mph. My son later said that I was cruising at 53mph.  I did not stay on the dual carriageway for long but the Reliant seemed game for more driving and we totted up about 8 miles by the time I headed for the safety of my garage and my armchair.  The car did not seem to object to stop start traffic through Towcester centre. I hope it gave a few people a reason to smile.  I enjoyed the drive in a masochistic way.  Reliants of this age (61 years old) are noisy, have tricky handling, a fierce clutch, quite hard suspension which detests modern potholed roads, very little power and yet are quite endearing once you settle into how they do things.  I've attached a short video of today's initial trundle before we put some air in the tyres. I don't know whether my son took more photos. I certainly didn't.

Edit: A bonus photo from yesterday.  I'm surprised the photo isn't blue. The Reliant's suspension had just crashed across a few rough bits of road and I was cursing.

1661848146813.JPEG

Edited by RayMK
Photo added

The Seaburn show looks to be getting a better turn out every time. Years since I was there..... and it's always been lucky with the weather too. 

I grew up along the seafront from there and it can be hellish. 

That Mk2 estate I'm fairly sure used to belong to my uncles mate Charlie who worked at Clarks Coachbuilders who occupied the entire huge roundabout at the top of Roker Baths Rd.... He went front to back on it as he was a painter. It was always gorgeous. 

Great shots of that lot - much appreciated. 

The red 93 has always had a very slight oil leak from the back of the engine but it's recently got a lot worse and is making a mess of my driveway.

There's a vacuum assist driven off the exhaust cam and the seal between it and the cylinder head is a common area to leak oil.

Lives under this area somewhere.

20220829_161425.thumb.jpg.5b1ce151d22e2372cfdb30fbaea9092e.jpg

Some stuff to remove, glad I have small hands.

The square thing is the IONISATION MODULE. Me neither, no doubt its set to malkie due to Noobtune though.

Pump removed

20220829_164557.thumb.jpg.52417d63021c8819e5e95e236e132ecf.jpg

The seal on the pump was intact but rock solid.

20220829_164719.thumb.jpg.87adf39b734375ec8e4fdf7dd19536d4.jpg

20220829_164736.thumb.jpg.f374c3dbeae82e812e6d7878e841a27f.jpg

You can see the oil on the top of the gearbox and the surrounding area, too hard to get a picture from up top though.

New seal was a tenner, hopefully it will be here in a few days.

2 hours ago, Fumbler said:

And done. Looks like I've used a roller to apply the lacquer but it's shiny enough and I can always wet sand the entire thing if I wish, when everything's hardened up some more. For doing it outside, with spray cans and acrylic lacquer, I'm happy.

PXL_20220829_143609649_MP.thumb.jpg.0e9260d985a39d7011057cd792ba60b7.jpg

That looks class! Glad to see it getting some love. 

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

The red 93 has always had a very slight oil leak from the back of the engine but it's recently got a lot worse and is making a mess of my driveway.

There's a vacuum assist driven off the exhaust cam and the seal between it and the cylinder head is a common area to leak oil.

Lives under this area somewhere.

20220829_161425.thumb.jpg.5b1ce151d22e2372cfdb30fbaea9092e.jpg

Some stuff to remove, glad I have small hands.

The square thing is the IONISATION MODULE. Me neither, no doubt its set to malkie due to Noobtune though.

Pump removed

20220829_164557.thumb.jpg.52417d63021c8819e5e95e236e132ecf.jpg

The seal on the pump was intact but rock solid.

20220829_164719.thumb.jpg.87adf39b734375ec8e4fdf7dd19536d4.jpg

20220829_164736.thumb.jpg.f374c3dbeae82e812e6d7878e841a27f.jpg

You can see the oil on the top of the gearbox and the surrounding area, too hard to get a picture from up top though.

New seal was a tenner, hopefully it will be here in a few days.

I did the same on my old 93ss as well. It was weeping so got a new seal and secondhand IONISATION MODULE and it was right as rain after that. I still have no idea what the IM was actually for. Did it prevent IONISATION, or encourage it? Do I have enough ions or might I be deficient? 

Apart from needing to remove a hundred things it was an easy job tbh

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

It detects ionisation in the cylinder through the spark plug. Allows the Engine ECU to detect Cam position, misfire and knock without any additional sensors. Something clever that Saab did.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Direct_Ignition

The 9-5 has the module built into the DIC coil pack. 9-3 uses a more traditional cassette coil pack (far cheaper) and had that module separate. It's why the 9-5 and previous old 9-3 would die completely if the coil pack failed. 

7 hours ago, RayMK said:

I had an almost involuntary urge to continue driving and therefore found myself waiting for the traffic lights to change before unleashing 17.5bhp on to the A43 dual carriageway

That is a very fast, tough road without any area to escape if there are problems! Fair play to you for giving it a darn good run on it. 

On 8/29/2022 at 11:09 PM, SiC said:

That is a very fast, tough road without any area to escape if there are problems! Fair play to you for giving it a darn good run on it. 

I had white knuckles, was biting my lip and sweating buckets.  A couple of years ago, well maybe three or possibly four, the Reliant broke down after going on a fast stretch.  The first breakdown was a simple one: a rotor arm which suddenly gave up its HT duties but it took me hours to walk home over three miles because my phone died when trying to call for assistance.  I think I wrote about it on here at the time.  Next breakdown was my fault: I ran out of fuel and had also used the fuel in my emergency jerrycan but forgotten that it was empty = another walk home of about a mile.  These events made me distrust the car, hence the feeling of today's driving being risky.  However, despite its good behaviour today, I've decided to sell it.  No urgency, but I no longer feel able to cope with that style of driving - too stressful!

Edit: I could not find the reference for the previous breakdowns on here despite searching for a couple of hours last night. Today I tracked it down. I summarised the two breakdowns on 10th December 2015 in this thread (page 850), the breakdowns having occurred in August of that year.

Got the sill welded up on the Maxus on Saturday - or rather my mate welded it up, I just did the prep work with the angry grinder.  That's the main (known) issue it had - now I just need to tidy it up a bit and then stick it in for an MOT to see what happens.  I'm expecting to have to spend a bit of money on it to get it through, but with the prices of big vans being where they are at the moment I can't really afford to replace it so touch wood it doesn't need anything too major.

Sunday I felt like shite for most of the day so got very little done, but I did get the brake caliper off the Renault 6 to fit the new piston I'd bought for it.  Except that the piston turned out to be the wrong one - it's the correct diameter but about 3mm too long and as such it can't actually be fitted in to the caliper.  I've found one the right length online but for now I've given the existing piston a good clean and grease up and I've also cleaned up the caliper sliders and replaced the previously-applied rubber grease with wheel bearing grease, which is a bit less sticky - hopefully that'll keep the brake working properly for a while, it's only a couple of months until the car gets put away for the winter and I'm not sure I can be arsed taking the brakes apart again before then.

Today the Maxus got pulled onto the drive for a wash, the first in my ownership - partly to make it look a bit more presentable in advance of the MOT but mainly to clean off the sills as I'm going to give them a nice thick coat of underseal in an attempt to stop any other bits going rusty - the existing paint is quite chipped and there's a few small blebs starting to appear.  I've refitted the passenger side door card (removed to investigate the non-functioning window, which is still non-functioning but I've decided I don't care) and treated it to a new nearside wiper blade as that was getting rather manky.

The Maxus' battery has pretty much had it, but I've discovered that the shiny new 075 battery I bought for the Volvo has actually got enough grunt to start the van.  The rather older 075 from the Mazda will happily start the Volvo, so I now just need a nice little 063 to go in the Mazda, which is a lot cheaper than buying a new van battery.  In fact I could probably have got away with borrowing the Innocenti's battery when I need to move the Mazda, but for the sake of 30 quid or so I might as well buy one.

I took the Volvo to Tesco today.  I had to brake fairly hard at one point and it does pull slightly to the left in that situation, but it's perfectly manageable.  The engine is still behaving itself, as is the gearbox.  I'm loath to take it any real distance though because I don't trust the tyres to hold up on a prolonged 60mph run, and the correct size tyres aren't cheap (even Nankangs are 50-odd quid a corner plus fitting).  I might actually have another go at selling it - I can't afford to get it to a state where it's properly usable, I don't have anywhere under cover to keep it in the winter, and it's a bit pointless having it if all it ever does is go to Tesco or the occasional run to the next village and back.  I might sell the Mazda as well - that barely gets used either.

I went for a spin round town on the Mobylette this evening.  It's running OK but I lost the exhaust at one point and had to come home - it was still running but it was seriously loud.  It really needs a new exhaust pipe as the lip that the big retaining nut pushes against is damaged, but once I'd tightened the nut up properly and added a couple of extra washers to the bottom mounting bolt to help it clamp the exhaust in place properly, it seemed secure enough.  I now need to sort the wiring out - I've been looking at wiring diagrams online and I think I'm getting an idea of how it all goes together, but I'm going to need to rig something up for the indicator switch as the setup on the Mobylette flashes front and rear indicators alternately and the switch pack I've bought is designed for "normal" indicators where front and rear flash at the same time.  Previously it had a pair of cheapo motor factor on/off/on switches taped together on the handlebar, but ideally I'd like something that looks a bit more elegant and a bit less like it was cobbled together by a clueless 16-year-old...

7 hours ago, SiC said:

It detects ionisation in the cylinder through the spark plug. Allows the Engine ECU to detect Cam position, misfire and knock without any additional sensors. Something clever that Saab did.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Direct_Ignition

The 9-5 has the module built into the DIC coil pack. 9-3 uses a more traditional cassette coil pack (far cheaper) and had that module separate. It's why the 9-5 and previous old 9-3 would die completely if the coil pack failed. 

Superb knowledge,  thanks man!