The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

19 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Norfolk Police have just advertised a vacancy for a trainee to take photos of dead people in all kinds of states of disrepair.

Id bloody love to do something like that as awful as it sometimes must be.  My problem is that I shoot myself in the foot with self doubt so think what’s the point in the effort of applying as il never stand a chance. 

Perhaps I’ll talk myself into at least applying tomorrow.

I worked with a bloke who did that line of work for a while.

He's a carpenter now. He has some interesting stories.

He decided to stop when his Mrs rang him and he was in the process of a situation most of us would consider quite odd but, he didn't see how strange it was, to be in the company of a dead person, in the middle of the woods at 3:00AM. 

I wouldn't fancy it.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Foxhake said:

He decided to stop when his Mrs rang him and he was in the process of a situation most of us would consider quite odd but, he didn't see how strange it was, to be in the company of a dead person, in the middle of the woods at 3:00AM. 

I wouldn't fancy it.

See that doesn’t phase me at all, I wouldn’t say I’m completely immune to the morbid but the interesting side of it would overrule having to be in the presence of the awful stuff. I don’t know if I could bring myself to deal with the crime scene cleaning side of it so much, but the investigation side of it is right up my street. 

Im going to at least apply for it, confidence boost was seeing the job shared to a local town Facebook group and seeing all the huns replying “any good for you Debs xx” type responses. They must get some absolutely shite applicants for jobs, hopefully I’d at least stand a chance moreso than some bird who wants a job to fit in between the kids being at school and selling Avon on Facebook.

50 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

Off to its new life, which might well involve laundry or baked beans. It won't be missed. 

IMG_20220120_154952.jpg

I was thinking about that car the other day actually, remembering the fun* I had trying to reassemble the inner CV joint after I inadvertently pulled it apart.

What killed it in the end?

20 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Norfolk Police have just advertised a vacancy for a trainee crime scene investigator.

Id bloody love to do something like that as awful as it sometimes must be.  My problem is that I shoot myself in the foot with self doubt so think what’s the point in the effort of applying as il never stand a chance. 

I can't tell you anything about working for the fuzz but I'm happy to proof read your CV and suggest amends/edits - if that would be helpful.

29 minutes ago, Arthur Foxhake said:

I wouldn't fancy it.

There's a fella who used to do a fair bit of supply work where I'm currently teaching. 

During the first lockdown, we both diversified. I worked for the local water company doing an admin job. It was stressful, shite money, a shite work environment and everyone hated the place and talked about what they wanted to do 'when they left'. I left as soon as I had an opportunity to get back into teaching at a decent local school. I still plan to make a change at some point.

Back on topic, despite my feelings about my temporary admin job, I would have still preferred that over what the other fella opted for. He ended up at the funeral parlour dressing the bodies, ready for their final journey. 

Mind you, that sounds slightly more manageable than taking photos of dead people in various states of decay. 

32 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I was thinking about that car the other day actually, remembering the fun* I had trying to reassemble the inner CV joint after I inadvertently pulled it apart.

What killed it in the end?

A combination of factors, none of which were insurmountable but it just needed someone with more enthusiasm and deeper pockets than I can muster to get through another ticket. Not least an Essex County Cuntcil lorry flicking up a stone on my last trip to work which did a quality job on the windscreen and then later the same day a mouthbreathing mong bitch backing into it right in front of my eyes, then denying it until she was blue in her cretinous flid face. I felt very much like starting it up and giving it back to her flat out into her driver's door. I did attempt to move it on here but rather typically it garnered little to no interest. I hate scrapping cars but for what I'd have had to spend repairing it I could have bought a better example.  Finally, and probably most importantly, once my dear old 740 was repaired and back in use I realised how much I preferred it to the V70 and that was pretty much that. It's been sitting here untouched since April or May and enough was enough. 

1 hour ago, grogee said:

I can't tell you anything about working for the fuzz but I'm happy to proof read your CV and suggest amends/edits - if that would be helpful.

That’s very kind, I have actually only just seen this after sending my application in!

They don’t actually require a CV, just a straight forward application form and monitoring type survey form.

I wrote a half decent supporting statement and have sent it in so fingers crossed. 

I’m quite lucky with application type settings as my older brother spent nearly 10 years working in a role supporting ex-prisoners back into employment (imagine doing 30 years inside and then trying to jump back into a job) and nowadays works in a college in a careers based role too so he’s pretty nifty when it comes to CV’s and applications. 

10 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

That’s very kind, I have actually only just seen this after sending my application in!

They don’t actually require a CV, just a straight forward application form and monitoring type survey form.

I wrote a half decent supporting statement and have sent it in so fingers crossed. 

I’m quite lucky with application type settings as my older brother spent nearly 10 years working in a role supporting ex-prisoners back into employment (imagine doing 30 years inside and then trying to jump back into a job) and nowadays works in a college in a careers based role too so he’s pretty nifty when it comes to CV’s and applications. 

Best of luck with it all. Not that you'll need luck anyway, you'll manage it fine. :)

Just now, AnnoyingPentium said:

Best of luck with it all. Not that you'll need luck anyway, you'll manage it fine. :)

Thanks! 

Not trying to talk myself down again but I highly doubt I’ll hear back - a couple of the ‘essential requirements’ I’m quite vague on, for example -

• Experience of undertaking analytical work with the ability to create accurate reports

I spent the last 2 years in a management role with an events and marketing department of an insurance broker which entailed monthly reporting on stats etc and paying thousands of pounds worth of payments to affiliates but I personally wouldn’t class it as analytical work.

I’ll cross my fingers and hope for the best though! 

22 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Norfolk Police have just advertised a vacancy for a trainee crime scene investigator.

Another 'go for it' vote. Sounds like a varied, interesting, challenging and worthwhile occupation.

5 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

So the thing I bought finally arrived...

20220120_170457.thumb.jpg.993698f9e910bc9eee80ca3289f54700.jpg

Twinty smackeroonies to anyone who can guess what's all there. 😁

Sony XR with 10 disc cd changer. Had one back in the early 00's in a vauxhall tigra. Great unit. Think i actually gave it away on here a few years ago. Well bought that man. Looks like there may be something lurking under that cabling as well, or is that the magazine for the cd's?

1 hour ago, chancer said:

Sony XR with 10 disc cd changer. Had one back in the early 00's in a vauxhall tigra. Great unit. Think i actually gave it away on here a few years ago. Well bought that man. Looks like there may be something lurking under that cabling as well, or is that the magazine for the cd's?

Correct. Bought it all for just over £40. Here is your twenty smackeroonies... :D

Smackeroonie.jpg.9966e4fdac629abddff443d014cd7dfa.jpg

17 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Thanks! 

Not trying to talk myself down again but I highly doubt I’ll hear back - a couple of the ‘essential requirements’ I’m quite vague on, for example -

• Experience of undertaking analytical work with the ability to create accurate reports

I spent the last 2 years in a management role with an events and marketing department of an insurance broker which entailed monthly reporting on stats etc and paying thousands of pounds worth of payments to affiliates but I personally wouldn’t class it as analytical work.

I’ll cross my fingers and hope for the best though! 

I have a friend who does this. Actually, she's a manager now, but still very much hands on.

Sounds like a really interesting job. Certainly much more interesting than being a 9-5 office drone.

Farewell friend... it's been fun, even if at times frustrating, occasionally disappointing and very expensive.

IMG_20220121_163748.thumb.jpg.74aba1cc5528629bd2e954ea2fe687e5.jpg

The new keeper will I'm sure make themselves known in due course.  It's staying within the forum at least.

If it was the project car I'd probably have kept it - but this was meant to be the daily, so getting into potentially major mechanical work just wasn't on the cards for me.  Having FOUR projects on a driveway with space for two was just too much.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:54 PM, Dick Longbridge said:

There's a fella who used to do a fair bit of supply work where I'm currently teaching. 

During the first lockdown, we both diversified. I worked for the local water company doing an admin job. It was stressful, shite money, a shite work environment and everyone hated the place and talked about what they wanted to do 'when they left'. I left as soon as I had an opportunity to get back into teaching at a decent local school. I still plan to make a change at some point.

Back on topic, despite my feelings about my temporary admin job, I would have still preferred that over what the other fella opted for. He ended up at the funeral parlour dressing the bodies, ready for their final journey. 

Mind you, that sounds slightly more manageable than taking photos of dead people in various states of decay. 

Thanks to a geopolitical event we shouldn't discuss outside the political sub-forum there's a dearth of applicants for pretty much any job, or so I've read; hello wage rises and savings-wrecking inflation, plus an excellent time to seek pastures new if you're in a job you don't like and want to try summat else.

CBT today ready for my direct access in a month or two.

Haven’t ridden for probably 13 years, back then I only had a twist and go. Luckily I’ve had the odd go on a geared pit bike so I knew the basics of 1 down 4 up. 

Jesus Christ, how bloody cold am I sat here in my long johns. -2 it was today and it bloody felt it. 

Was on the black Honda CBF 125, felt very old and basic for a 7k miles, 2016 bike but did the job.  

All went fine, he said I take corners like a HGV driver (too wide) but nailed it after a while. 

Certainly wouldn’t live with just a 125, didn’t enjoy the bike itself a single bit.

Roll on Mod 1 and 2.

Side note: bonus points for the shite winter bike the instructor uses, 2001 carbed Honda Deuville 650.

CE178A7E-2972-417A-B688-FC051A988886.jpeg

23 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Let me know when you get to the interview stage. Even for a civilian role a lot of forces adopt the CVF framework and want you to be centred around that when offering answers and examples. Good luck mate 🙏

6 minutes ago, sims00 said:

Let me know when you get to the interview stage. Even for a civilian role a lot of forces adopt the CVF framework and want you to be centred around that when offering answers and examples. Good luck mate 🙏

Thanks mate I’ll certainly get in touch if I get to that point! I’ve had a generic reply so at least by the end of Feb I’ll know if it’s going anywhere.

0C14D34E-0076-473C-A06A-F7F29F3F6AC1.png

10 minutes ago, sims00 said:

Talk to me about this.  I have an interview for a role in the police next week.

Tried to start the E34 earlier - not moved it in six weeks. Lights on but no starter, bumped it down the hill. Then stalled it. Cue having to drag my dad out at 9pm, he wasn't happy to say the least. 
Flat battery aside, no problem. Must get it an MOT.

The big Varta battery I bought last year for the LS400 seems to be goosed through lack of use and having gone flat several times. Halfords apparently have a couple of options, and I got a voucher for Christmas which I can spend there so hopefully I can get the big white thing back on the road for modest expenditure. MoT's due in March so I don't yet want to spend too much on it.

Also, more magazine sorting has been going on:

IMG_8467.thumb.JPG.09383ea40e20f2ed3dff9accc5d7725a.JPG

Got most of them done now, including my big runs of What Car? and Autocar. The latter take up seven 3' bays, I probably have around 75% of them from 1970 to 1998. I managed to miss out a complete year at one point, which meant a lot of shuffling.....