The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

The work/hours you were doing for that pay rate, this is the sensible thing to do.

More time to chase scooters......

Slight change of plan: Going part time in a couple of weeks, which is all I ever really wanted. 

5 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Handed my notice in about 25 minutes ago. Don't know how long I've got to do, hopefully not too long.

You used to do that to yourself on a Thursday, take yourself out for a stern talking to and a few* drinks on the Friday then re employ and forgive yourself on Sunday afternoon... Should be used to it by now! 

Well, that is this evening not having gone to plan. Was happily sitting watching shite TV and eating the end of my tea when the phone rang. My MOT tester and all round good egg (he comes over and fixes things I have broken) was on his way home in his neighbours 10 plate Yaris Diesel. As be passed  my turn off on the dual carriageway, he noticed a hum, and his neighbour had mentioned he thought a wheel bearing was on the way out. That does not really sound like a wheel bearing thought my friend just as there was an almighty bang and the front locked up at 60mph. Dipping the clutch made no difference but fortunately he made it to the slip road.

Just back from collecting it with my Disco and trailer. No drive at all now, oil mist up the back and a pool of gearbox oil on the floor! First impressions are we think we can see the diff sticking out of the gearbox, but will have a look at it in the daylight. My friend has gone home in my AX.

Could be worse with the Yaris, that could have been my car! :-) 

13 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Well, that is this evening not having gone to plan. Was happily sitting watching shite TV and eating the end of my tea when the phone rang. My MOT tester and all round good egg (he comes over and fixes things I have broken) was on his way home in his neighbours 10 plate Yaris Diesel. As be passed  my turn off on the dual carriageway, he noticed a hum, and his neighbour had mentioned he thought a wheel bearing was on the way out. That does not really sound like a wheel bearing thought my friend just as there was an almighty bang and the front locked up at 60mph. Dipping the clutch made no difference but fortunately he made it to the slip road.

Just back from collecting it with my Disco and trailer. No drive at all now, oil mist up the back and a pool of gearbox oil on the floor! First impressions are we think we can see the diff sticking out of the gearbox, but will have a look at it in the daylight. My friend has gone home in my AX.

Could be worse with the Yaris, that could have been my car! :-) 

What is it about that bit of road?  That's almost exactly where I had the gearbox detonate in a shabby LDV Convoy many years ago.  Nothing like scampering around a dual carriageway (albeit mercifully quiet then) sweeping up as many larger bits of gearbox and diff as you can find as you don't want them winding up getting thrown through someone's windscreen.

We never did quite figure out if the diff locked up and killed the gearbox or the gearbox locked up and the diff was simply a victim of that.  It also managed to rip the hub completely out of the clutch disc which was quite impressive to see.

Well, another six weeks have passed, must be time for another Combo oil/filter change.....yup, another 10K done......

Getting very efficient at doing this now - the fifth change it's had since I acquired it in February.

Oil of choice this time was some Tesco's own brand fully synth which they were knocking out at £6 for two litres a couple of months ago. Combo/Fiat/Alfa etc 1.3 diesel only needs 3.2L. Will be looking at getting one of those BFO vats of the stuff next, as suggested by @320touring

Photos from yesterday’s mot video at the Citroen dealer. They’d not seen an x1/9 before.

oil leak looks like it’s from the sump plug but how bad do the front suspension control bushes look?

Also what are people’s thoughts on original rubber (£4 each) or a polyurethane set for £42? Presumably these are what is needed? https://www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=244&zenid=2qikf6sgrcl7vqm2hl8omq6og3

0FBEC0A1-D580-43A2-B9C3-6491B56CEFFE.jpeg

D34F4104-5624-4C75-9D6A-46FDFC9C6E05.jpeg

C8BD4D60-2329-4537-B56F-929D737E7A2A.jpeg

My Astra has come back 'off hire' from my local takeaway. It's actually solved a problem, as the Corsa is too small for long term ownership.  Trouble is, absolutely over run with motors here.

42 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

how bad do the front suspension control bushes look?

Bushes of that sort will often crack on the outer edges as yours have while remaining  serviceable, so I would not be too concerned as long as there is no sign of fore and aft movement on the tie rod - but for £4 each no harm in replacing them - check tracking afterwards of course.  Don't use polyurethane bushes on a road car without good reason - in that application especially they need to be fairly compliant to accommodate the full suspension travel, and the compromises which are inherent in Macpherson geometry.   Other opinions are available, obvs.  from people who know far more about the suspension than the designers.  

22 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

Bushes of that sort will often crack on the outer edges as yours have while remaining  serviceable, so I would not be too concerned as long as there is no sign of fore and aft movement on the tie rod - but for £4 each no harm in replacing them - check tracking afterwards of course.  Don't use polyurethane bushes on a road car without good reason - in that application especially they need to be fairly compliant to accommodate the full suspension travel, and the compromises which are inherent in Macpherson geometry.   Other opinions are available, obvs.  from people who know far more about the suspension than the designers.  

Thanks. The aim is to keep this as original as possible. Lots of people modify them, but they’re only original once. It was only an mot advisory. When time and Covid19 allows I’ll get my mechanic to take a look.

4 hours ago, clayts450 said:

Well, another six weeks have passed, must be time for another Combo oil/filter change.....yup, another 10K done......

Getting very efficient at doing this now - the fifth change it's had since I acquired it in February

10k in 6 weeks, that’s insane!! I do that sort of mileage in 18 months

On 11/15/2020 at 7:18 PM, richardmorris said:

When we were young my sister and I happily travelled over France etc in the back of dyanes with the lap belts. Times change. Well safety and perception of such change.

When we were on family holidays in my Uncle's old Thames 400E minibus, me and my cousins used to argue over who would be allowed to sit on the engine hatch between the front seats... as you say, how times change!

28 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

He was mid twenties according to my dad. Car is one of the newest and 32 years old.  Even at car meetings few seem to know what it is.

a recent favourite photo.

5ADE9871-CC29-4F5C-891F-7C103CDE70C9.jpeg

'Tis said that the young have no sense of history,  yet they are very adept at deleting it.

Well my £4.27 eBay special GPS antenna arrived today, so this evening after work I went out and plugged it into the Rover's sat nav computer.

DSC_1373.thumb.JPG.d4408f08340728c2984ca6fbfdc76159.JPG

That's a bit more like it.  :)

It took a while longer to lock onto the signal than the OEM antenna did when it was working, but then it's physically much smaller so that's understandable.  I initially plonked it on the roof of the car (it's magnetic) with the wire running in through the tailgate window to give it as much chance of picking up a signal as possible - it took a few minutes to pick up the full complement of satellites and a bit longer than that to download the Almanac, but once that was done a quick drive round the block revealed that I once again have working sat nav.  So thanks to @SiC for suggesting a replacement antenna.  

Once I was sure it'd locked on to the GPS signal I took the antenna off the roof and stuck it inside the rear wing in the sat nav compartment.  The signal wasn't quite as good there - it'd occasionally drop off momentarily - but it was still good enough to be usable, so I'm going to leave it there for the time being until I figure out the best place for a permanent installation.

It's still taking a few attempts to read the DVD though, so I'm still going to run a cleaning disc through it once that turns up.

10 minutes ago, leanycan said:

Is this 2030 ban just a proposed date, or is it actually official? The 2040 ban was achievable? In 9 years how are they going to do this? Where is the plan, or is this just another move to force the working man off the road?

As you say it’s to force the working class off the road. They’ll have you either do that or finance yourself up to the bollocks