The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Something fell in my eye on Sunday morning, spent from about 3:00am through until about 8:00pm last night with what felt like a half brick in my left eye. Tried over and over to get whatever it was and finally got it about 8:00pm. It was a SPIDER!

Yuck.

Granted a very dead spider but still. Now my eye is still watering and feels awful but not currently hurting.

As a mate woke me up at 7:00 a.m. (by text!) and I had already had a shower, walked the dog, cleaned up after the other one (she's getting sneaky where she poos now, or possibly ashamed so keeps hiding it!) I have ust been out and washed the car, chatted to a mate not seen in ages (he likes my new car - I've had it since last September) and ust had the water bill. As I was online and doing banking stuff, I've paid it! This is definitely the first time I have ever paid the water bill on the day it arrived, let alone with 5 minutes of arrival. I wonder if I'll get a prize?

Someone is trying to scam me over my car. It's an ancient (and pretty fucking lame) way of attempting to essentially steal it, so let's see if we can turn the tables on them. 

Oh and now I have polished it, hoovered it out inside (with hopeless battery powered car vacumm Kyle bought me a couple of years ago) polished the interior and then Gummi Pflege'd  the seals for the roof and doors. Then went and put thirty quids worth of fuel in it, gauge is nearly at the top (right actually!) just in case... panic buying, me?

5 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Missus asked me too look at her mates as exhaust making noise after she hit a big puddle on the motorway, she'd bent the heat shield and was touching the exhaust and found she also pulled off the plastic guides for the brake lines

20200323_162047.jpg

20200323_162252.jpg

I remember taking my xm through a big puddle very fast. I tore down the plastic cover that goes over the lhm lines front to back. 

Didn't notice really until I turned a sharp corner next, the car dove about and there was an almighty scary as fuck sounding noise! Limped it home (as one does) and feared the worst as I laid on the floor... 

*click* fixed! 

The Rover 45 failed its MOT today.  Only needs a steering rack boot (annoyed I didn't spot that) and the headlight aim tweaking.  So assuming the track rod end comes undone reasonably easily it should be a straightforward job - I'll nip out and get a boot tomorrow, assuming Bozza doesn't lock us down tonight.

Realised today I hadn't started the 3 series in about a month. Bugger. 

Central locking worked as it should, and then it fired first turn. A slight misfire at cold (almost a slight hunt perhaps?), but it got better when it warmed up. Even the handbrake hadn't welded itself on. 

Shame it still sounds like a fart down a blunderbuss but that can wait a few months/weeks/whatever. 

Took the A55 Cambridge for a jaunt around the local countryside yesterday, its first decent run for a couple of months. The clutch has now been replaced (we suspect the very worn old plate was the original) and I now have a reliable Temperature Gauge thanks to a new sender unit. There's still some more jobs left to do but they can be put on hold for now until the current situation improves. I'm very pleased with the car. 

IMG_1813.JPG

I'd actually had a good day today. 

Braved the bedlam of Sainsbury's at 7.40 this morning. Plenty of choice just not a lot on the shelves, still got a week's shop out of it. By 8am the pensioners were let in and I soon spotted a granny with 4 packs of toilet paper despite all the announcements to only take 2 max. I hope they stopped her at the tills. The idea of segregated entry is to ensure a little bit for everyone. 

Had a nap and then decided to clean the car in the afternoon. Good wash down with a microfiber sponge and then wiped down with a towel. Some cheapo turtle wax and it doesn't look half bad. The inside got a wipe down and a hoover out.  The method probably horrified the detailers out there but hey this is Autoshite and good enough is good enough for me

Genuinely pleased with this car. It's comfortable and since the injectors were mended it's shown  dmirable service. Always happy to go. Nearly have it  6 months now, how time flies. 

I think the C5 is on fleet duty this week.  There's a few jobs lined up for it but nowt show stopping. Busy week in work lined up so the diesel economy will do well. 

IMG_20200323_175116.jpg

IMG_20200323_174825.jpg

IMG_20200323_174744.jpg

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered the replacement front subframes for the Innocenti.  They're in Portugal which as far as I'm aware isn't in lockdown yet, so they stand at least some chance of getting here soonish.  I wouldn't normally have bothered but with parts as rare as that one has to grab them when one can.

I'm not holding my breath for any of the other bits I ordered today turning up any time soon mind.

It’s certainly made me reassess my shiteing (the global pandemic) I don’t have an urge to buy or sell a vehicle or travel - not should we unless it’s fitting one of those very specific criteria. 

Is travelling to collect a vehicle that is not essential to allow transportation related to one of food/medical need irresponsible? I think so. We all make our choices and justifications.

It's looking like my attempt to scam a scammer is going to come to a crashing halt. All set up for the fake Paypal payment (I would have just said I was happy he paid when he inevitably send me a screenshot of 'my' account) but he's now said he's going to pay me, then I have to pay the collection driver before he picks it up. Obvs. like this just means he doesn't actually pay me, but I send his spare account £600, which he keeps and fucks off with.

I had planned to send him to a (closed) asylum, tell him to send me pictures of his truck outside then tell him to FRO, or get him to collect a scrap rolling shell from somewhere local and stand back and LOL. Can't see that happening now, but I can fuck him about a  bit for the next few days, if nothing else. 

I have been asked on three separate occassions today if I need any help with food shopping. Once by a woman I have never spoken to before. Is this because I am an obvious cripple (in which case, thank you all very much) or because I look like an old bastard (in which case you can all fuck off!  :)   ).

Self isolation at work went ok today, I was in before seven and locked the outer door after me. No post or couriers tried to visit, just the nice Bugatti. Came home earlier and saw people on bikes and walking than usual. 

My colleague and I are thinking of doing alternate days and working through the weekends too.

31 minutes ago, xtriple said:

I have been asked on three separate occassions today if I need any help with food shopping. Once by a woman I have never spoken to before. Is this because I am an obvious cripple (in which case, thank you all very much) or because I look like an old bastard (in which case you can all fuck off!  :)   ).

It's because your son has a Vectra. People will just assume he's cruising round everywhere being a fanny magnet, and not getting his dad's shopping.