The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I have cooked. This is a major life event as it is something I do, rarely. Christmas and the dogs birthdays (I buy them steak for birthdays) and that's it.  I did the lot: Turkey, stuffing, parsnips, roasties, yorkshires and even... sprouts! It took me just over an hour to cook, twenty minutes to dish up the dogs Christmas dinner and then mine, by which time it was bloody cold! Still, it took them an age to eat (and what a bloody mess they made doing it!) and so I got to eat a meal in peace. This in itself is such a rare event it's worthy of comment.

Now feel stuffed/sick and may not eat again until the new year. At least Chester seems to be better - was up most of the night with him and finally took him for a walk (a very slow walk!) at 5:30 this morning. When we got home he finally settled and slept thru until about 1:00p.m. and seems much more himself, as can be witnessed by the dinner he has just eaten. I expect he'll be ill again shortly. Though he is currently under the duvet with me ( both on the floor) while Phoebe is asleep on her giant pillow next to me/the heater.

As copious quantities of sprouts have been consumed, I expect this place will stink like a Calcutta Khasi in about an hour... :) 

620 on bargy waft duties down to Newmarket and back to see the folks.

Fuck me, that new A14 bypass bit is splendid, and slices a good 15 minutes off the journey.  Google Maps hasn't caught up with the newly opened bit yet, mind, and went snooker loopy as I drove through it., trying to make me crash through a few fences to get back on the new old A14.

Driving back home I had the whole new stretch to myself and what a great drive it is when there's no-one else around - great road surface, some sweeping bends, proper 'watch the  limit point and try to catch it ' driving ;)  Particularly like the bit that runs parallel with a section of the A1.

Drive back was a quality hoon - average speed per Google was 69 mph for the whole journey. Honest, Officer.

Few cans of cider will now be consumed as I settle down to watch the latest Scorsese movie on Netfux

1 hour ago, Floatylight said:

Looks like FIL's Zafira is knackered, broken down and left in a car park, konked out and won't turn over, apparently has been using water and there is non in the header tank, so might be seized.. will go and have a look in the morning..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

as stated in another post  - train to mk and not far is a driveway with more cars on it than arnold shark :D

show him the money

also zafira deid - woop 

My sister and partner are moving to Portugal on the new year.

They wanted a van to move there with.

They saw a transit on gumtree they liked and asked my advice.

I pointed out it was massively overpriced had spent 2 years sitting after a huge mot fail on rot, had had another fail the year after again for rot and the last 2 owners had only had it for 4 months each before punting it on.

I searched the ebay for something better near them. Half the milage half the price and twice as nice looking.

Apparently it was 'too cheap and probably broken' so they didn't even go look at it.

They then go ahead and buy the rotten Shitter.  Because the lady selling it 'knew nothing about cars but was very nice.'

Fast forward to Xmas eve and on route to our family gathering they broke down.

The transit and occupants were then deposited off a flatbed outside my parents house, 8 hours later at 6 am. 

Guess who spent their afternoon under a transit while everyone else was shovelling dinner down their throats....

Top bolt on the starter was fcuked and no access, so I had to chisel a hole in the transmission tunnel to remove it.

New starter ordered to collect Friday and hopefully the dmf and ringgear are ok.

Took over 2 hours to get it of so no way am I trying to repair the starter I took off.

Merry xmas?

20191225_162513.jpg

20191225_162440.jpg

20191225_162400.jpg

20191225_162408.jpg

20191225_162334.jpg

Starter was surprisingly clean inside.

Not sure what the issue is but the starter was not engaging with the flywheel.

I did spend a lot of time running through the 'told you so' conversation.

If the gearbox needs to come off I will probably tell them find an alternative mug.

Probably 

Looks like FIL's Zafira is knackered, broken down and left in a car park, konked out and won't turn over, apparently has been using water and there is non in the header tank, so might be seized.. will go and have a look in the morning..

Been out this morning and had a look, at least 2 faults but not seized, battery completely flat, won't fire the central locking and won't take any charge, tried to jump start but no dice. Battery was replaced last year with an RAC badged Varta so FIL will be invoking warranty, could also be a drain somewhere. Also has a coolant leak which needs addressing

19 hours ago, hairymel said:

I pointed out it was massively overpriced had spent 2 years sitting after a huge mot fail on rot, had had another fail the year after again for rot and the last 2 owners had only had it for 4 months each before punting it on.

[POINT A]

I searched the ebay for something better near them.

See point A above?  Right there is where you need to tell them to fuck off and live with their own fuck ups.

57 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

See point A above?  Right there is where you need to tell them to fuck off and live with their own fuck ups.

Although it seems most people only want advice that justifies their already held viewpoint, I still try.

I would have posted in the grumpy thread if I had reached my 'go fcuk yourself' limit.

They both have been there for me when I have been drowning in my own fuck ups, so it seems reasonable to help out in return.

On the flip side when brother in laws sister arrived to ferry them to their next family gathering this afternoon, I stood by watching the chaos as it was realised she had a flat tyre.

After 15 munutes I had to take over though because idiots.

Then it started raining.....

Im still a  bit soggy :-D

Good cheer to all men and all that other seasonal shit ?

Cheers @Skizzer

Sadly I expect karma will just bring me more aggro.

On the other hand I usually find Xmas family gatherings to be more emotionally draining than transit fettling.

And one for the grin thread

I managed to pull my own name out of the hat for family secret santa and, just for once, I got a decent present.

'My' santa massively overspent as well because I/he is such a nice guy?

A bottle of Makers mark 46 and a six pack of walnut topped whips. I deserve it because I am special* ?

My new wheels/tyres are flawed. To wit: one flat back tyre. Well, flatter than it should be at about 15 psi. I am not well pleased.

Number 1 son turned up today bearing not only gifts (new shoes, 6 NGK platinum/irridium spark plugs and a Pela pump that, strangely matches exactly the one I bought him, but also a Vauxhall Vectra estate. I had a look at it and it looks bloody decent to me! Certainly better than the price would suggest and apart from the seats (which are just a 'tad' grubby) is in bloody fair condition. I believe you (us) lot have unfair expectations and it is a solid tharsand parnd car. To prove that it gets the love and attention it deserves, have a picture...

IMG_20191226_114500.thumb.jpg.a2c789581065e6a8ef9697586c4f7ac5.jpg

This is the most embarrassing picture of Kyle I have so  enjoy hairy arse!  :) 

1 hour ago, xtriple said:

.....Number 1 son turned up today bearing not only gifts (new shoes, 6 NGK platinum/irridium spark plugs and a Pela pump that, strangely matches exactly the one I bought him.......

Maybe that Pela pump is the exact same one you gave him, destined to be passed back and forth like festive ping-pong?

18 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Maybe that Pela pump is the exact same one you gave him, destined to be passed back and forth like festive ping-pong?

Not quite. I handed him a huge box filled with 9 litre pump thing and he handed me another huge box filled with 9 litre pump thing Yes, we bought each other the same thing and he carted one from Coventry to Torquay and then swapped the exact same model and carted it back to Coventry. There's no insanity in our family... :)

20 minutes ago, xtriple said:

Not quite. I handed him a huge box filled with 9 litre pump thing and he handed me another huge box filled with 9 litre pump thing Yes, we bought each other the same thing and he carted one from Coventry to Torquay and then swapped the exact same model and carted it back to Coventry. There's no insanity in our family... :)

Tell you what, let's cross out the "in"...

It's like giving Ferrero Rocher at Christmas, and then finding someone else has given you the exact same....

Finally back home with a cuppa after  200 miles in the Rover visiting family over Christmas down in Kent. Weather coming back this afternoon was atrocious, had to gingerly drive it though some flooded farm roads then the A2 from Dover was under water in places. How we didn’t aquaplane I’ll never know but relieved to be home with the car and myself in one piece.  

2 hours ago, xtriple said:

My new wheels/tyres are flawed. To wit: one flat back tyre. Well, flatter than it should be at about 15 psi. I am not well pleased.

Number 1 son turned up today bearing not only gifts (new shoes, 6 NGK platinum/irridium spark plugs and a Pela pump that, strangely matches exactly the one I bought him, but also a Vauxhall Vectra estate. I had a look at it and it looks bloody decent to me! Certainly better than the price would suggest and apart from the seats (which are just a 'tad' grubby) is in bloody fair condition. I believe you (us) lot have unfair expectations and it is a solid tharsand parnd car. To prove that it gets the love and attention it deserves, have a picture...

IMG_20191226_114500.thumb.jpg.a2c789581065e6a8ef9697586c4f7ac5.jpg

This is the most embarrassing picture of Kyle I have so  enjoy hairy arse!  :) 

I am off for a round of toast

12 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Tell you what, let's cross out the "in"...

It's like giving Ferrero Rocher at Christmas, and then finding someone else has given you the exact same....

Except ferrari-rosher(sic) are horrid and nutty and are only good for the packaging.