The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Double Family visitation complete. (Two trips from North Wales to Stratford-on-Avon one either side of Christmas)  

Another 700 trouble free miles in the 9000, meaning it’s now nearly at 199,000. Probably due a service, so might do that this week. 

6C09E227-4014-4210-B6CA-A564DAE22121.jpeg

I was determined to complete the cat converter swap out on the 420 today. I had previously been stymied by three seriously rusted bolts fixing the cat to the front pipe. Armed with my new cordless LoveYouLongTime impact wrench I launched my assault. And failed. These fuckers are totally rusted on.  I tried an Irwins, and failed - not enough room to swing my breaker bar. Gave up.

I'd also forgotten I'd partially loosened the ones holding the cat to the middle pipe when I was last under the car (hence why I'd taken it off the road in the first place), so when I first moved the car to the place I'd be doing the work a load of exhaust smoke billowed out from under the car. Oops. Anyroad, torqued them back up again and went for a long drive - God I've missed this car.  Never fails to put a smile on my face.

The cat currently on the car is fine, but the heat shield (which is integrated into the cat) is loose on two corners and thus rattles like a bastard at precisely 1750rpm. I'm gonna find a friendly welder and see if he can't glue it back together again.

On 12/27/2019 at 6:07 PM, hairymel said:

Transit guilt trip payment update :

brother in law has paid the parts and whiskey bill and tried to add an extra tenner which was refused.

sister has asked if I am in at 7 tommorrow night for a 'delivery'

I'm hoping for strippers

*wire type obviously

*not obviously but still hoping?

Not strippers.

Ocado/sister  delivered tobacco , much fine whiskey, coke-nohookers and cupcakes.

Bit gobsmacked as I have already charged whiskey tax for the job

Christmas is unruined ?

20191228_184309.jpg

Edited by hairymel
I can't smartphone

More bluebird-related fun and games today. Oil done, new bung for the boot, spare wheel repainted... so naturally the N/S rear tyre decides to acquire a nail. Marvellous.

In fairness, all 4 tyres are 10 years old so probably should get them all done and one of the good-un's to go on the spare wheel since I have a sneaking suspicion it's original. Now to look at prices for 185/70 R14s in north London...

I have a newly (probably)broken nose due to an altercation with a taxi driver in a vito riding my bumper with his high beams on in town. I also have dashcam audio telling me to fuck off or he'll smash my teeth out. So off I fucked, straight to the rozzers with a brief interlude to try to clean the blood off my face/smear it everywhere. My job isn't too bad really, but shit like this really gets to me.

3 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

....who will presumably do nothing*?

*depends which constabulary area you're in....

We'll see. Last time I got assaulted at work I got a recorded caution for using force to take my glasses back from the scrote who'd just taken them who then proceeded to hold me in a choke hold while his mate repeatedly punched me in the head. No prizes for guessing what they got.* You get used to being considered subhuman by many just because of what you do for a living I suppose. A favourite recently was being told my life is pointless by an auld bastard who was unhappy with my (squint but adequate) parking.

*Hint: it was nothing.

17 minutes ago, reb said:

I have a newly (probably)broken nose due to an altercation with a taxi driver in a vito riding my bumper with his high beams on in town. I also have dashcam audio telling me to fuck off or he'll smash my teeth out. So off I fucked, straight to the rozzers with a brief interlude to try to clean the blood off my face/smear it everywhere. My job isn't too bad really, but shit like this really gets to me.

If you have footage of incident which shows either him/his vehicle/his licence plate then forward that to you local licencing office. They will take it far more seriously that the police will. He might not end up with a fine or record....but will defo have to answer to the local licensing committee. Good footage will see the wankstain off the road...

27 minutes ago, chancer said:

If you have footage of incident which shows either him/his vehicle/his licence plate then forward that to you local licencing office. They will take it far more seriously that the police will. He might not end up with a fine or record....but will defo have to answer to the local licensing committee. Good footage will see the wankstain off the road...

Definitely this - even if the police don't do anything about it, the licensing authority could consider he's not a "fit and proper person" (or whatever the exact phrase is) to hold a license.

7 hours ago, clayts450 said:

I was determined to complete the cat converter swap out on the 420 today. I had previously been stymied by three seriously rusted bolts fixing the cat to the front pipe. Armed with my new cordless LoveYouLongTime impact wrench I launched my assault. And failed. These fuckers are totally rusted on.  I tried an Irwins, and failed - not enough room to swing my breaker bar. Gave up.

I strongly recommend one of these plus a MAP gas canister from Screwfix.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROTHENBERGER-ROFIRE-GLOBAL-BLOW-TORCH-GUN-Brand-New-in-Original-packaging/193062350292?epid=13006966807&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2cf369add4:g:dHEAAOSwKu9dXtfk

It took me a while to realise, but heat plus breaker bar is the only way to shift exhaust bolts.

Edit: get the bastards glowing red too.

You have to wonder how angry a driver you have to be that your first reaction to someone confronting you about your driving is to punch them. Romanian colleague said it was a dirty punch, whatever that is. Blood everywhere. For the sake of someone getting their pizza. Customer was slightly bemused but understanding, having just seen me come flying into the car park and leap out of the car with blood dripping down my face. Gave me a nice tip and I used the sympathy card to scrounge an imported marlboro. It's the little things. Customer service with a smile above all else.

Time to put the 214 into hibernation today, and drag it screaming and kicking into my new garage.

Except, it failed to start due to shit Lionn battery. Couldn't even jump it. Do have a nearly charged battery, but CBA swapping out, as it's a really good one which I want to put on the Streetwise. Of course the Streetwise one is also as flat as a pancake. Could have been ingenious* and taken the good battery off when I got to the garage and then driven over later and picked it up. Nah, too much like hard work. I'd also have a considerable Sunday afternoon walk back from the garage to home. My back hurts, so fuck it.

Mission aborted.

Merry fucking Christmas. 

IMG_20191228_150808.thumb.jpg.be4a73d219964e2ca6249fdd4c4fa490.jpg

Colour match is awful. I suspected the cunts at the mixing shop had no fucking idea what they were doing after they wanted a picture of the car, so only painted the parts that wont be visible once the lights are on as a test before committing to the rest.

I rang first and told them the code and they said they could do it but when I got there they couldn't find it. I think they've guessed based on the name of the colour Linen Grey Metallic which isn't fucking silver you nonces, despite seeing a photo in which its metallic beige, not that you could get the colour match from a photo anyhow. 

3 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Merry fucking Christmas. 

IMG_20191228_150808.thumb.jpg.be4a73d219964e2ca6249fdd4c4fa490.jpg

Colour match is awful. I suspected the cunts at the mixing shop had no fucking idea what they were doing after they wanted a picture of the car, so only painted the parts that wont be visible once the lights are on as a test before committing to the rest.

I rang first and told them the code and they said they could do it but when I got there they couldn't find it. I think they've guessed based on the name of the colour Linen Grey Metallic which isn't fucking silver you nonces, despite seeing a photo in which its metallic beige, not that you could get the colour match from a photo anyhow. 

Liked for the recycling of wrapping paper.  Greta Thunderberg would be proud of you.

17 hours ago, 64A60 said:

just booked place to stay in northampton

meet ya at super sausage before hand

Edit

Windchill of likely -1 means no I think sadly

@Six-cylinder @quicksilver @Slowsilver youse can still go ?

im not going in the car if even the vintage.lot will struggle to find somewhere