HMC- new xk8 Jag commuter

HMC

3 minutes ago, Sigmund Fraud said:

I don't think there's anyone on this forum who hasn't bought at least 2 cars from @HMC !

XM and Alfa 156, you are right! Would be 3 or 4 if the Jag survived and I had space for the latest P38! At some point we all need to give something back!

• Like 1

On 21/07/2024 at 17:31, HMC said:

approved by @bunglebus

IMG_6847.jpeg.a7c29f6c856dbd8662178ad3dfef79cd.jpeg

Yes! Is the colour concept Golf still on here somewhere? Need to arrange a yellow VAG meeting

5 minutes ago, Tubbo said:

Wot’s it drive like?

Nice. Its a non intercooled 2.5tdi/ 88bhp so not quick- but having had a merc sprinter 208d mwb minibus its quite spritely 😂

As its an “MPV” on the v5 it also only has to obvserve car rather than van speed limits, which adds to the relaxation.

The gearchange was a bit stiff but greasing the linkage has transformed it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• HMC changed the title to HMC- New incoming P4 (not 330 or 412p)
On 31/07/2024 at 15:57, loserone said:

I have asked for dibs on this one haven't I? 

second dibs

7 hours ago, HMC said:

Another Rover is heading south….

IMG_6907.jpeg.5469051b8b5cdc434023b045f408979f.jpeg

do you ever see a car with a registration mark like that and think to yourself "how the fuck does that still have its original registration mark plate?!"  dont get me wrong I am *very much* all for cars retaining their original plate, but cars such as Rover P4's older Morris Minors, Austin A30/A35's, if it has a nice number it will have usually long since lost it sadly

I really hope thats on the vehicle on a non-transferable basis so it cant be bummed of it in the future

Top Buyage :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its arrived just a little earlier

IMG_6910.jpeg.6ce3978f059dcf3e6b6542717d3cfd20.jpeg

IMG_6913.jpeg.3679891d9349a3587ec58055c1d04e5d.jpeg

IMG_6911.jpeg.cd9f2a33ec24baaff646a3430aa65311.jpeg

IMG_6912.jpeg.f44970ab69cf890f7a8c6b271eeb1b6a.jpeg

Its nice! it was a grand as its a bit scruffy in places and sadly had a front end prang last year. Thats been partly repaired but just needs finishing off. It comes with the bits needed. On the button rolling project.

37 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

do you ever see a car with a registration mark like that and think to yourself "how the fuck does that still have its original registration mark plate?!"  dont get me wrong I am *very much* all for that, but cars such as Rover P4's older Morris Minors, Austin A30/A35's, if it has a nice number it will have usually long since lost it sadly

I really hope thats on the vehicle on a non-transferable basis so it cant be bummed of it in the future

Yes, same here. Think it was originally registered in chester?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bigstraight6 said:

Straight 6? 

Yes its a 95- so its got the later 7 bearing 6 but with a single carb, and no overdrive but a slightly taller rear axle. It was the entry level model with the 110 being above it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HMC said:

Yes, same here. Think it was originally registered in chester?

LG is a Cheshire mark, so almost :) I think Chester itself had its own registration series?, I note the records for both locations are complete for your age of vehicle, so one could find out who its original owner/keeper was if the history is not already known :) 

image.png.336045664309a3a67cb801ae7f6b9c43.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HMC said:

Yes its a 95- so its got the later 7 bearing 6 but with a single carb, and no overdrive but a slightly taller rear axle. It was the entry level model with the 110 being above it.

The interior looks original and smart, usually they seem to have suffered badly (mine certainly has!).

Individual front seats too.

• HMC changed the title to HMC- Rover P4 95

flashback to 2023 when it was the victim of a hit and run whilst parked……

IMG_6908.png.259aed10adc9fc89a9010bc20e24e07c.png

To think it got to 60 years not out and then it got rammed whilst parked. 

So its a cat n - but a survivor. I took it for a quick spin round the block. I promptly ran out of fuel. Later, after topping up it started leaking from the fuel tank sender. 

Gasket on order and im currently trying to bash the bumper irons straight so that i can finish off the front end repairs.

7 minutes ago, HMC said:

flashback to 2023 when it was the victim of a hit and run whilst parked……

IMG_6908.png.259aed10adc9fc89a9010bc20e24e07c.png

To think it got to 60 years not out and then it got rammed whilst parked. 

So its a cat n - but a survivor. I took it for a quick spin round the block. I promptly ran out of fuel. Later, after topping up it started leaking from the fuel tank sender. 

Gasket on order and im currently trying to bash the bumper irons straight so that i can finish off the front end repairs.

It should be considered an act of treason to damage such a car as these! Glad it survived though. 
I’ve promised myself one of these for ages and never got my mitts on one so far.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

P4's got a bit punk in the late 70's when they were still cheap...

'Radio On' - British Road movie...1979.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

It should be considered an act of treason to damage such a car as these! Glad it survived though. 
I’ve promised myself one of these for ages and never got my mitts on one so far.

Having had one, I say absolutely do it.  They're criminally under valued with how much car you get.  Absolutely the only thing which would have put me off using the 110 I had as a do anything daily was that the steering was decidedly on the heavy side - especially in a city full of roundabouts!

I think the single thing which shocked me the most about it was how absolutely at home a car with its origins in the 40s felt howling down the outside lane on the motorway.  The sense of occasion that accompanied every time you took it out never got old either.

I reckon a tidy one with a good PAS conversion fitted could well be a truly brilliant dailable classic so long as you don't mind the fuel bills.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Get your dibs in on this one

• Like 1

On 01/08/2024 at 22:14, LightBulbFun said:

do you ever see a car with a registration mark like that and think to yourself "how the fuck does that still have its original registration mark plate?!"  dont get me wrong I am *very much* all for cars retaining their original plate, but cars such as Rover P4's older Morris Minors, Austin A30/A35's, if it has a nice number it will have usually long since lost it sadly

Just curious, what makes a plate non-transferable?

I’ve still got the front bumper from the Rover 60 I had a little while ago if it’s suitable. 

16 hours ago, Erebus said:

Just curious, what makes a plate non-transferable?

in this particular case, it would be non transferable if the vehicle has been registered with the DVLA under the V765 scheme, that is the scheme the DVLA have that if say you have a vehicle thats been off the road since before the DVLA existed and you want to get it back on the road under its original plate, if you have sufficient evidence linking the VRM, VIN and vehicle itself all together (ie say a buff logbook or old vehicle records of some kind) or if the vehicle has been previously registered under an age related mark, but you uncover evidence that links a mark to your car then the DVLA will registered the vehicle with its original registration mark, but on a non-transferable basis.

this is to stop number plate dealers from gaming the system to get nice marks, as was endemic in the 1970s-1990's (and even to this day to some degree sadly) 

and any vehicle given an age related mark that does not have a suffix or prefix age identifying letter on it, (ie a pre 1963 plate) is also given on a non transferable basis

P4 news-

cleaned the carb up and its running lovely. I had leak from the tank,  which was largely sorted with a new gasket for the fuel sender.

IMG_6953.jpeg.c55189d35d7274e39f6c90136e6ee208.jpeg

Its a rolling dilapidated country house, complete with draughts and tarnished silverware, and some galloping rot.

Did you end up speaking to the fella with the Devon plated example which had been redesigned by a tree? 

On 03/08/2024 at 23:09, LightBulbFun said:

in this particular case, it would be non transferable if the vehicle has been registered with the DVLA under the V765 scheme, that is the scheme the DVLA have that if say you have a vehicle thats been off the road since before the DVLA existed and you want to get it back on the road under its original plate, if you have sufficient evidence linking the VRM, VIN and vehicle itself all together (ie say a buff logbook or old vehicle records of some kind) or if the vehicle has been previously registered under an age related mark, but you uncover evidence that links a mark to your car then the DVLA will registered the vehicle with its original registration mark, but on a non-transferable basis.

this is to stop number plate dealers from gaming the system to get nice marks, as was endemic in the 1970s-1990's (and even to this day to some degree sadly) 

and any vehicle given an age related mark that does not have a suffix or prefix age identifying letter on it, (ie a pre 1963 plate) is also given on a non transferable basis

Got the v5 through- its not down as “non transferable” even though it had an mot as recently as 2018 (and would hence be susceptible to a plate transfer) although its a shed im really happy its not registered 357XUK or whatever @Angrydicky

• Like 2
  • Agree 1