Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Rain Stops play for the Carlton Estate.

Six-cylinder

14 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

....I am slightly puzzled as to why there's a warning light which would normally indicate an automatic gearbox fault on a manual car though...

Possibly because it was cheaper for Lancia to leave it in place. What I don't quite understand is why, with a manual gearbox in place, that warning light is still able to illuminate..... There's even a little display showing you which tail light has failed.

I did try the Trevi, going clockwise round the field, against the flow of traffic. It has a comedy fuel gauge which wavers constantly between half and empty. I found the gearchange a bit uncertain, in the sense that I was uncertain that I had selected the right gear, but still easier to operate than the 2CV gearchange which I found very uncertain due to unfamiliarity with push/pull/twist 'n shout.

That said, the Trevi pulled well enough and cruises best when driven gently. Given its not particularly economical nature, it's probably best to be driven gently.

Not sure who signed off the body design; the rear quarterlight false "vent" that should really have been a window gives the car an unfinished upright look and contributes to the Zil limo-like back end.

that was a very fun weekend, am very happy to have finally been able to make it to another FoD gathering :) 

many thanks to all that took part, and let me drive their various vehicles, I was very happy to get some experience driving other cars and see how my skills learnt so far translated to those different cars, im pretty pleased with myself how I did there, I dont think I stalled any of them :) 

highlight for me (invacars aside) has to be when @chaseracer very kindly took me for a ride/lesson in @Six-cylinder's 2CV told me how to work the gearbox and then let me at it in the drivers seat :) 

that was very fun, had lots of fun hurtling around the field in the 2CV, you get the hang of the gearbox pretty quickly, main thing that threw me at first was the fact you cant actually feel when its in a gear, you just have to know how much to twist and pull it, but ya get the hang of that pretty quickly

and its quite confidence inspiring to drive, most cars I was happy to amble round the field at 20Mph or so, but I can say I was definitely  going quicker then that in the 2CV :) you dont go slowly in a 2CV thats for sure

which makes me quite curious as to how it would be to drive one round London and manoeuvre in tight spaces, will have to try that at the FoD next time...

sadly it seems I was having a bit too much fun and forgot to grab some decent pictures im sure others have plenty of pictures of me hurtling round in the 2CV

although I do have this picture of @chaseracer giving @bub2006 a 2CV ride :) 

1393054980_IMG_00452.thumb.JPG.05a1e7356effb32b1d76bcb858fd455d.JPG

it was also nice just chatting Routemasters with @Yoss while I took his Favorit for a spin, it drove well, (ignoring the fact it had been lowered so did not ride that well over the field), just need to drive a trabant, and I think Ill have got most of the Major brands of eastern block cars done :) 

it was also much fun getting a chance to drive the Tractor the Dumper and the JCB :) (once again I seemed to have entirely failed at grabbing some photos!)

it was nice to REV, Dolly and TPA again of course :) it had been far too long since I saw REV, and I got a bit determined on Sunday to take her for a spin, so @Mrs6C rigged up a temporary fuel supply in the form of a water bottle full of fuel

and after some fiddling with the fuses in the fuse box, she fired into life :) (its a good thing I brought my can of contact cleaner with me!) and I created the first Invacar traffic jam in probably a good 30-40 years LOL (invacar Tetris?), REV (and Dolly) also gained a set of new spark plugs during the trouble shooting process, so thats one less service item to have to worry about in the future :) 

IMG_0069.thumb.JPG.cdce7fe0db6a559eb75576f5bbb08ca3.JPG

and so with REV and Dolly having been fitted with new tyres previously, we where able to push Dolly over and had all 3 together in a line, for the first time :) hopefully eventually we will get TWC added to the line up, for the full lineup of the Forum's Model 70's :)  (and @BlankFrank's Mk12 would be a nice bonus :)

1114750188_IMG_00741.thumb.JPG.aab85057d6d0cc62cbcaf7b73d8461e1.JPG

@Zelandeth then kindly let me have a go in TPA, made for a an interesting comparison with REV, TPA rides a bit smoother, not sure how much of that is TPA herself or the nice Xantia seat fitted to TPA (REV's temporary fuel supply was quickly borrowed to try and get Dolly moving before I was able to make a direct back to back comparison sadly) although I find the bolstering makes TPA a bit harder to get out of, I cant just slide across like I can in REV), and TPA's twist grip is much nicer then mine!, oh and TPA actually has brakes! and of course TPA rattles a lot less than REV!

1808309208_IMG_00771.thumb.JPG.4218da79f8f2347ae73a46a710e6b95c.JPG

was also pleased to get REV running as it meant I could move her out of her space and park her up perpendicular to the hedgerow, I know it will all scrub off, but I did not like how dirty she was getting sitting horizontal to the hedge like that, and it looks nicer with both Model 70's facing the same way once more :) 

954022157_IMG_00852.thumb.JPG.eda2f6971b2358bec898a594ef88faa6.JPG

sadly we where not able to get Dolly moving under her own power, we finally did get her to idle, but just as we finished clearing all the stuff out of her cabin, she died and refused to idle from there on out, hopefully next time she will play ball finally once her carb gets a second go in Zels ultrasonic cleaner :) 

once again many thanks to all that took part and especially to @Mrs6C and @Six-cylinder for hosting us :) (and giving me a lift to and from the station and the place I was staying for the night)

well worth the crippling pain LOL

(although I did not actually know the FoD weekend started on friday, its good thing I did not turn up on friday, I dont think I would have made it to sunday!, I only just about got my sorry arse home, which is why Im only posting now, as yesterday I was a complete mess, still am, but iv worked up enough strength to get this post done :)

speaking of coming home, you dont often see major stations this empty!

134253629_IMG_00881.thumb.JPG.1ebe777e2e6e1c51fa718f319428ad5a.JPG

I have had a letter, yes in the post.

Following your application for a V5C for the BMW 323i it will be with you 8th Sep. I sent the V62 5th July.

When I have the V5C I will MOT the car after it has stood for 3 years but at the weekend it was extensively used for driver training so should be nicely freed up!

IMG_20200822_172131 broad.jpg

14 minutes ago, hairnet said:

an 'on fire' ?

I bloody hope not, I've put no small amount of effort into trying to ensure that's *not* the case!

I'm going to have to take a tape measure with me next time.  Every photo I'm seeing seems to make it look like REV is narrower, and I'm sure it can't just be spherical aberration in everyone's camera optics..

Given we've already spotted several differences in the Invacar/AC moulds (especially up front where the return under the "bumper" is totally different) I do wonder if the Invacar has a slightly narrower nose now.  It's surprising how many detail differences there are between them.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I'm going to have to take a tape measure with me next time.  Every photo I'm seeing seems to make it look like REV is narrower, and I'm sure it can't just be spherical aberration in everyone's camera optics..

Given we've already spotted several differences in the Invacar/AC moulds (especially up front where the return under the "bumper" is totally different) I do wonder if the Invacar has a slightly narrower nose now.  It's surprising how many detail differences there are between them.

Rev look a tad wider in this photo!

P1370682 broad.jpg

20 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have had a letter, yes in the post.

Following your application for a V5C for the BMW 323i it will be with you 8th Sep. I sent the V62 5th July.

When I have the V5C I will MOT the car after it has stood for 3 years but at the weekend it was extensively used for driver training so should be nicely freed up!

IMG_20200822_172131 broad.jpg

It would* be a calumny to suggest I was having some serious jollies steering this on the throttle in second on slightly damp grass... ?

2 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Does anyone recall what the radio plug in the e36 above looked like. Seems only one comes up for it 

20200824_141532.thumb.jpg.9e25c51369cd18ad90feb3787e637b83.jpg

Not this one, the car end was narrow.

4 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Not this one, the car end was narrow.

That's what I thought.  But this appears to be the same on all 90s bmws on the supplier site. Will have a look again tomorow.

Wondering if that's  a plug for another head unit and the bmw plug is tucked in behind the dash.  

9 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

That's what I thought.  But this appears to be the same on all 90s bmws on the supplier site. Will have a look again tomorow.

Wondering if that's  a plug for another head unit and the bmw plug is tucked in behind the dash.  

We never looked beyond what we could see.

The car had a Clarion unit in it when I bought it in 2014.

P1260733 crop.jpg

40 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I bloody hope not, I've put no small amount of effort into trying to ensure that's *not* the case!

Streamlined innit.

17 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

We never looked beyond what we could see.

The car had a Clarion unit in it when I bought it in 2014.

P1260733 crop.jpg

A quick Google suggests a slim rectangle plug for clarion. May require a dig behind the dash. 

1 hour ago, chaseracer said:

It would* be a calumny to suggest I was having some serious jollies steering this on the throttle in second on slightly damp grass... ?

And then the young 'uns copied you and got told off.  You're a bad influence.  

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, egg said:

From Instagram, location unknown, but in turn from streetview....

trevi.JPG.92520a5c3bc2b149ea4bd98758caa71d.JPG

I wonder how old the photo is?

According to How Many Left Q1 2020 1 taxed 8 SORN.

4 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I wonder how old the photo is?

It was posted in July this year, but of course doesn't tell us how old the streetview image is.  I'll ask the poster.

Another superb visit. Thanks to LBF for giving my girlfriend's parents a good run down on Invacar stuff, and Six Cylinder and Mrs 6C for hosting and allowing me to teach an 11 and 13 year old to drive in the 2CV. The 13-year old had already conquered the Vectra. An absolute natural. (Miss DW also drove the Vectra. She's not 13). 

Here's a shot of Rich enjoying the hilariously brisk Chinese 125.

Rich.jpg

• Like 9

On 8/23/2020 at 9:13 PM, Six-cylinder said:

The death of a chair, I have to report an innocent green plastic chair was  badly assorted over the weekend

Is that one of the chairs I brought up the other year, they lasted well. 

I was so looking forward to coming back this year, but the FoD jinx on the Sigma struck again... 

?Clutch master cylinder fluid empty, 

??No sign of clutch fluid leaking anywhere, 

?Clutch pedal was noisy when pressed, squealing, squeaking and when fully down a bit graunchy, 

??Drove alright once moving, 

?Juddering when trying to get moving, 

?Possibly release bearing disintegrating, 

??New one available and reasonably cheap, 

?Complete clutch kit possibly available depending on which size... but neither particularly cheap, 

???My back is fucked and I've never done a clutch on a 3 litre fwd v6, 

??Workshop manual possibly available online pdf, 

???But probably in German, 

But apart from that my life is still falling apart in every possible way ??????????????

Decisions decisions..... 

• Sad 2

On 8/23/2020 at 10:00 PM, hairnet said:

sorry not old enough

by about 15 years *runs

i only know paul darrow - what was the woman with the short hairs name

Jacqueline Pearce, her character was named Servalan.  Can you tell my sister and her husband are big fans of the series?  In fact it's what brought them together in the first place!

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Is that one of the chairs I brought up the other year, they lasted well. 

I was so looking forward to coming back this year, but the FoD jinx on the Sigma struck again... 

?Clutch master cylinder fluid empty, 

??No sign of clutch fluid leaking anywhere, 

?Clutch pedal was noisy when pressed, squealing, squeaking and when fully down a bit graunchy, 

??Drove alright once moving, 

?Juddering when trying to get moving, 

?Possibly release bearing disintegrating, 

??New one available and reasonably cheap, 

?Complete clutch kit possibly available depending on which size... but neither particularly cheap, 

???My back is fucked and I've never done a clutch on a 3 litre fwd v6, 

??Workshop manual possibly available online pdf, 

???But probably in German, 

But apart from that my life is still falling apart in every possible way ??????????????

Decisions decisions..... 

Drive it to the fod and we'll form a working party. Ah wait... 

• Like 1