The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Reminds me of a few years ago, we happened to be on holiday in Florida at the same time as Daytona Bike Week, tens of thousands of Harley' riders from all over America converge on Daytona Beach and Speedway.

Convinced Mrs N to have a day out there, just to have a look.

Every motel from about 50 miles out of Daytona had car parks full of pickup trucks and trailers, so much for EasyRider type road trips, Wusses !

When ever I come back from a European trip, I am still surprised by the reaction I get from other riders on the Ferry or Chunnel Train about where I have been to, and what I have ridden there and back.

I always reply its easy to go anywhere, on any bike IF you have the time, AND refuse point blank to camp.

Every year I ride the 800 miles or so down to the Czech Republic to meet up with a load of mates for a couple of days, and have done this for the last 7 years.

Next year I want to do it on a CZ or Jawa, just for comedic value if nothing else-they all seem to ride BMW GS1200's. If I can't find one (preferably a 350 Jawa) before then I'll take my125 cc Yamaha scooter. So if anyone knows of a Jawa 350 for sale or swap (I'd prefer a very early 1980's model), let me know.....

Buy a Jawa new - http://www.jawamotorcycles.co.uk/retro.html. Shame about the digital speedo, a similar aberration plagues the otherwise shitetastic Ducati Scrambler.

Buy a Jawa new - http://www.jawamotorcycles.co.uk/retro.html. Shame about the digital speedo, a similar aberration plagues the otherwise shitetastic Ducati Scrambler.

A couple of years ago we all went to the Jawa museum (can't remember the name of the town). They had several World Championship winning speedway bikes there, a couple of racers, and loads of bikes from their beginning to the current day. They also build (built?) a bike with a boxer engine (looking very much like BMW'S R45). New ones

way too expensive for me - don't want to pay more than half a bag. And the older and tattier (patina'd), the better, and more of an adventure it could be.

A bit of shamless self-promotion (well, shameless mate promotion anyway) here... a 1993 Triumph Daytona 900. Tidy old thing, not been used for the last few years as the previous owner did his back in and garaged it. Has 12 months ticket now, and has just been serviced. I heard it running myself today and it sounds sweet.

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Daytona-900cc-12-month-MOT-/131547272186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1ea0d413fa

• 2 weeks later...

Meet Roger, the smashed up CBR600F:

2015-06-13%2018.06.50_zpsllvezcej.jpg

I bought it off my friend Danny who threw it down the road last winter (he then rode it home, only to drop it when he discovered the handlebars wouldn't turn hard right - this time the generator cover split and dumped the sump contents onto his drive).  Roger was parked up and forgotten, while Danny started a new relationship with a Diversion.

I dragged the remains home last month, paying roughly half what a dog-eared example would fetch, with the aim of quickly and cheaply bodging it up to make an expendable winter/track bike.  First job was to remove all the non-salvageable parts:

2015-06-14%2020.26.32_zps13yivedd.jpg

Being such a popular bike, most of the parts I needed were had off eBay quite cheaply (including an OEM screen for 99p).  This wasn't the case for the fairing bracket though, which I had to buy new from David Silver.  Everything hangs off that (headlamp, mirrors, cowl, fairing panels, air intakes), so the alignment has to be spot on.  Mine was twisted beyond repair, and no pattern part exists for this particular model year.  

The plastics were all busted up, but with the assistance of large amounts of Q-Bond I was able to stitch them all back together, more or less.  A chunk was completely gone out of one side, so I bought a steel oven tray from the Pound shop, chopped a section out, shaped it to fit then riveted it on.

2015-06-28%2015.00.25_zpscsoyvtnl.jpg

Every panel was damaged, so a re-paint was necessary.  I initially went for Fiat Broom yellow, but part way through decided I didn't like it - the bulbous panels looked kind of pus-filled.  Being a perfectionist, I then ordered a litre of gloss black coach enamel and slapped that on with a brush instead. Most of it looks pretty good.  The tank doesn't, in fact it looks like it was painted with a dead fox dipped in creosote, but the Warhawk decals I knocked up out of Fablon help distract the eye.

2015-07-10%2018.58.32_zps5kdxdrtt.jpg

There were a myriad of other jobs, such as making up mounting brackets out of aluminum strip, repairing wiring, and replacing the fork seals and chain/sprockets.  But it's all been BRILLIANT FUN - I've enjoyed every minute, in fact I wanted to start work on it at 6am last Sunday, but the neighbours would not have enjoyed the symphony of power tool noise and swearing I tend to create.

2015-07-11%2016.35.14_zpsv1gg5e3l.jpg

Pound shop oven tray fix close-up... 

Guest Breadvan72
Guest Breadvan72

Breadvan72, on 29 Jun 2015 - 12:12 AM, said:snapback.png

There are some loons who ride theirs to Brighton, apparently.  

Where from? Hove?

Shoreham, I think.  Hove is too far.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A severe case of skintness and an injection pump overhaul on the Peugeot 204 means I need to sell my bikes.

1984 CB125 Superdream in generally good condition but a poor respray. Rides very well though. Up on ebay at 795 but a good discount could be had for the right shitter.

post-5515-0-44179700-1443111470_thumb.jpg

Next up the Monet Goyon lovely old thing also on ebay at 995 but again a discount for the right person. (not someone who just signs up to try and buy it cheap)

post-5515-0-83567000-1443111636_thumb.jpg

All contact numbers are on the ebay ads

1984 CB125 Superdream in generally good condition but a poor respray. Rides very well though. Up on ebay at 795 but a good discount could be had for the right shitter.

I keep having spells where I want a bike and these are pretty much top-spot for the L-plate period. My dad had one so it would be appropriate for me to have one too.

Just love that Monet (seriously thinking about it), just to ride as is-but with new tyres and a wipe over.

Kicked myself for not knowing a Monet museaum is in Melle, and I stayed there for 5 days earlier this year. Been looking on leboncoin but most are a long way away...........

Thanks for the info. I'll have another look on leboncoin for him-if he can deliver for €120 that takes away a large part of the purchase worry. I like the later Starlettes, which I will have as an everyday local runaround (I can get rid of my modernish Japanes scooters), but would love one of the older ones for their looks, simplicity and fairly easily obtained parts.

That looks great for the money asked - I've seen similar looking ones up for double that.

I have a van, a pocket full of cash, but have no idea where one town in France is in relation to another, distance wise. There will be an be a epic multiple collection thread one day.

I'm off on my motorbike to France next week-going to spend a few days in Aurillac, then on to Perpignan for a few more (meeting up with some French collegues), before dropping down to Spain for a few more days. I think my time off of the bike may be spent looking for a few Monet Goyons.

I have e-mailed the seller of the one you posted up on here-I wonder if I will get a favourable reply, seeing that my French is rubbish!