The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Your kick start goes a different way to mine. It looks like if you kick it where it is it will turn the gearbox clockwise where mine went anti clockwise. I don't know which is correct but I suspect mine was as you can start a 2 stroke in either direction but if you started it backwards then the gears would be 3 in reverse I think. I have just sent your seller an email so there might be another bike on it's way over.

I have not tried the kick start as I suspected it was fitted this way around for transporting it. The engine turns freely and has compression (plug out, flywheel turned by hand). The headlamp glass is broken BUT all the bits are there so it can be glued together - it's been broken foe ages judging by the dust and crap on the bulb. And I think it's missing the flywheel cover, but very happy with it. Just a thorough clean, and re grease (need to buy a grease gun!) and a wipe over with WD40 and a rag before I begin trying to start it.

Is is the older castor based oils that smell best?

Yes it is, but as mentioned before castor oil based lubricants are not suitable for every day use.

I used to work for the company that supplied Castrol with the castor oil for making Castrol R. Castor oil is also used in model aeroplane fuel.

This is an actual fact - "Castrol" is a contraction of the words "castor oil". Castrol started business supplying castor oil as a lubricant; the zenith of castor oils use was during World War 1 as a total loss lubricant in aeroplane engines.

"Normal" 2 stroke oil is a low viscosity mineral oil with proprietary additives at low concentrations and which don't alter the odour of the fumes. The more expensive ones use synthetic oils but on simple 2 strokes like yours there is no advantage in using these. They all smell more or less the same when burnt.

He sent me an email to say that you had purchased this. The courier he uses is very good, and my bike came very well wrapped.

I'm sure I'll find a Starlett soon.

Hopefully it is going to be dispatched on Wednesday or Thursday. It certainly is an easy way to buy from France. I will keep an eye open for a starlette there were a pair of them in the Ardenne a while ago. They are nice looking little bikes and I have wanted one for years since seeing one in Cheffins auction about 10 years ago. They are very small though like the S3G's

• 2 weeks later...

My latest bike shite has arrived !. Late 50's Peugeot 125 D56. It really is a cracker. Needs a front tyre to get it mobile but after 1/2 an hour cleaning the carb out and a drop of easy start and she is running. The paintwork is coming up nicely as well. I just need to be careful as it is easy to polish it a bit hard and take the paint off. The tank is chromed then painted.

post-5515-0-20001500-1446213456_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-91011100-1446213490_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-67067300-1446213509_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-00886600-1446213525_thumb.jpg

Yeah he had wrapped it and built a pallet for it. The Peugeot is a much bigger and heavier bike than the Monet. It certainly is a lot better in the metal and just needs a good polish on the tank to clean the chrome up. I have got a new tyre coming on tuesday so I can move it around a bit easier. I also need to find a new throttle cable and clean the tank out. I would certainly recommend JPR to anyone who wants a classic French bike. He isn't the cheapest but his bikes are as described and the shipping was dirt cheap. The Peugeot was 160 euro due to it being a lot bigger and heavier than a Monet. I am sure I will buy from him again.

• 1 month later...

I should update my current bikeshite. The '54 Peugeot was sold last week for a profit !!!!!. So I had to get something else to tinker with and as I won't be back in France for a couple of month I had a punt on a spanish beauty.

post-5515-0-30643600-1450348429_thumb.jpg

It was only down the road and in pretty reasonable nick. It took less than an hour to get it running but it needs a few bits sorting to get it on the road.

post-5515-0-78526500-1450348809_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-18566300-1450348863_thumb.jpg

Made in Spain by the company that made Vespa's under licence they are quite interesting little things. I might even paint this one

I might end up with some sort of hilarious scooter if I keep looking in here, that Vespino in particular looks GR8 for riding around at 22mph with your shopping hung on the handlebars.

Is anyone still out riding regularly, commuting etc? I put my bike away at the start of November cos I R wuss.

I went past a guy riding up the M6 on a 125 in the pissing rain the other week, respect for him and all that but it's not for me.

Likewise! I have my medals - & scars - for winter riding (as I'm sure do many of you) and have nothing to prove to anyone in this department. As you say, respect to those battling on but I'd need a really bloody good reason. 

In know this is a bike thread but......

BTW Panhard - digging the shit out of your 204 estate (or should that be 'Break'), always loved the look of these, haven't seen one in the flesh for years sadly. 

That Vesparino is excellent. Single sided swing arm is way cool!

I'm still biking, at least 120 miles a day. Sadly yesterday morning my £400 CBR600 let me down (after being unceremoniously thrashed for 20,000 miles in 18 months) as the fuel pump appears to have gummed up/broken. Unreliable crap Honda's.

^^ Think that's a 204 not an Ami. 

And the single sided s/arm pre-dates Honda's VFR & Ducati too.

Yeap it is a 204 diesel. I need to modify the bike rack as it is pretty crap and doesn't hold the bike in very well. If you use the rings they put on it to tie down to. That will be tomorrows job.

I didn't know there was a bike page on  here aswell. 

Thats a nice peugeot up there! I have a 1951 55GL Peugeot with girder forks, pretty rough though.

For sale I have a few old 50's peds lying about and my fathers got an mz ts150 at the moment.

I have pics if anyones interested.

Wheres the lorry thread as mentioned on page 1 !?