1971 MGB GT - Delivery confirmed for tomorrow morning

Peter C

That looks a lot of MG for sub 2k. I've always liked GTs as well as Triumph GT6s and even their values have gone from bonkers to not too bad since covid and the cost of living issues. 

Looking forward to updates. 

If it's as solid as it looks, reckon that's a cracking buy. My kind of project, just fettling rather than major surgery. Good luck with it!

9 hours ago, reb said:

I really like these, but I am entirely too long-limbed to fit comfortably in them.

You're bordering on a dwarf compared to @task who lost the back seats and had think MX5 tombstones set what felt like as far back as they could go.

I distinctly remember the feeling of not being able to reach the brakes properly as the V8 effortlessly rumbled me up to 70mph 😅

Beginning to see the appeal of these, well bought if it's not rusty! 

You will now have to learn the special MG owner handshake and also to tut disapprovingly at 80s badge engineered MGs. As for the new ones... Heaven forfend! 

• Like 2

Gents,

Thank you to all for your kind replies.

Agreed that, if it's not rotten underneath, I got it for a great price, bearing in mind the price includes delivery. If the MG finds itself on my driveway on Thursday as planned, I will hopefully have time next weekend to jack it up (VERY CAREFULLY) and have a good look underneath. I am not expecting perfection and I have a good mobile welder who will be able to help if anything needs sorting.

I will be away holiday twice over the next couple of months so initially progress will be slow. When I bought the Sierra, I was expecting it to be in good enough condition to drive immediately and I was planning on taxing it as soon as it arrived and take it to a work appointment in Windsor. Not so the MG, I know it needs a bit of TLC and my target date for a first drive is sometime in the spring.

@danthecapriman I'm three years younger than the MG and I'm tired so I can imagine how it feels.

@500tops That's not an MGB!

@yes oui si I didn't know you had one.

@garethj I had two plans, a quick small car or an MGB GT. The quick small car that I wanted doesn't exist, hence this.

@reb I'm 6ft2, 15 stone and fit fine although I plan to make more space with a bucket seat and a smaller steering wheel.

@High Jetter Rostyles were standard on this vintage of MGB, as @SiC has already confirmed.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Peter C said:

Show me please.

I'll get photos when I'm not recovering from the car smash. They're at the back of my parents' garage

2 hours ago, Peter C said:

Rostyles were standard on this vintage of MGB

I sit corrected - though I kinda prefer wires on chrome bumper cars, rostyles on the later ones.

1 hour ago, Peter C said:

Not under my watch.

I think there’s a lot to be said for enjoying these as they were intended.  They were never made as revvy little sports cars, it’s a British car and that means a long stroke engine with decent torque and that’s how you drive it.

Revvy urgent little cars are Italian, or even a Mk1 MX5 and they do a much better job at it than a converted MGB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

I sit corrected - though I kinda prefer wires on chrome bumper cars, rostyles on the later ones.

Wires can be a liability if the splines and spokes wear, which they will have done on a 53 year old car.

I’ve had well over a hundred cars but until now none of them wore Rostyles. I’m excited.

• Like 2

Nah, Rostyles are better if you intend to drive the car. I've had one car with wire wheels and I swore I'd not have another. 

The car looks fantastic, I think it's a hell of a bargain. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My one is a 1972 so very similar.

I believe mine is pretty original.

Sometimes I think of selling it as I don't use it much, but when I do drive it I end up thinking I keep it a little longer. That is 13 years so far!

IMG_20230608_184041 broad.jpg

P1390300 broad.jpg

When I was younger I despised MGBGT's and laughed out loud and called them A60/Sherpa coupes. But now I'm in my 50's I really want a scruffy but solid chrome GT.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Joey spud said:

When I was younger I despised MGBGT's and laughed out loud and called them A60/Sherpa coupes. But now I'm in my 50's I really want a scruffy but solid chrome GT.

I’m with you 100%

I always judged MG owners for buying the obvious classic sports car that has a plodding underpowered engine. People buy a classic car to be different and MGs certainly are the least different classic car that you can buy in the UK and as sports cars go, they are not particularly sporty.

But, now I’m 50, I really appreciate the shape of a chrome bumper B GT and the amazing availability of parts makes them so easy to own.

I’m just praying that mine isn’t rotten underneath.